PDA

View Full Version : Surf problems Craz

Thomasr
03-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Hi guys

We used our Moomba Craz Surf Edition the last whole season and enjoyed with it the swiss lakes;-)

But there are some big 2 issues.
We had some problems at the end of the season with the surf setup.

First issue:
The left hand Wave was not working anymore. We needed to completly power of the boat and get it on again. Kind of a new calibration or something like that.
Does someone had the same problem?

Second issue:
The wave on the right side also had some kind of a small wave below the lip of the big wave. This was very bad for practicing new tricks and so ok...

Does someone had any ideas how to solve it?

We received some new motors for the surf tabs, maybe this will solve the issue. There should also be a new surf/Wakeplate SW Version, does someone know if this issues will be solved then?

We are in contact with our local dealer (nice guy, only for the protocol) but I would like to know if others also have the same issues.

Best regards in switzerland.

Thomas

Catman
03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
It seems like a lot of people with the Craz including myself had the same issues my dealer had told me the problem was in the ECU after months of going back and forth with skiers choice. Their was also a couple of ground issues unfortunatly I won't know until the boat goes back in on Memorial Day weekend

flydad1
03-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Hi Thomas.

I purchase my Craz on 7/1/2016 and have had this problem since new:

"First issue:
The left hand Wave was not working anymore. We needed to completly power of the boat and get it on again. Kind of a new calibration or something like that.
Does someone had the same problem?"

We only wakesurf behind our Craz and it does this at least once every time we surf. I brought it in in to the dealership to have the surf system checked in 7/2016 or 8/2016 and they didn't find anything wrong. I will have to take my boat to the dealership in 5/2017 to have the system tested again after I get it out of storage, so I'm curious to see if any other Craz owners have found a solution to this problem.

Regarding wave size, I have found that I need to surf about 1mph faster on the right side to get a good wave. You could try increasing the boat speed to see if that helps.

Catman. Did the dealer replace the ecu in your boat or did it just need to be reprogrammed?

Catman
03-26-2017, 09:08 PM
They tried a couple of different things at first they said it was a ground issue but still had the same problem then they said the ECU needed to be reprogrammed still had the same problems then I brought it in to be winterized and they said they were going to ordered a new ECU but it was to late in the season to go back out. The dealer has been excellent But they have to go by skiers choice orders because of the warranty . They spent a lot of time trying to resolve the problem thier not even sure if that's the fix . I have the exact same problems as you. We put 90 hrs on our Craz in less then 3 months I love the boat but it gets frustrating when you payed all this money and skiers choice isn't stepping up to the plate to resolve it

mattsask
03-26-2017, 11:52 PM
Same issue here. Put 97 hours on last summer, and I had the same issue at least once every outing. Dealer had my boat for 9 weeks in the fall and totally dropped the ball in resolving the issue. Their answer was that I didn't have my surf tabs set to 100% so they weren't deploying properly. They weren't at 100% because that's not where I wanted them, and that was definitely not the issue. I was already choked the boat was sitting in their yard for so long in the winter and that I had driven 3 hrs to pick it up, that I just make the 300 km trip home without resolution. That was the second time my dealer has completely dropped the ball on that issue. Please let me know what the fix is for you guys.

Catman
03-27-2017, 09:59 PM
As soon as the ice gets off the lake wet suits will be on and it's go time . My dealer sent their top mechanic to skiers choice and indmar for a 7 day training coarse and skiers choice was claiming it's the first they heard of it...... Bullshit

fairlydangerous1
04-26-2017, 10:22 PM
I am on my third time of surf system failing. First time completely quit and the dealer told me "loose connector." Second time the whole control screen went out and I couldn't even dump my ballast. 45 days back order to get that fixed and ruined the end of season last year. First trip out this year I started loosing the wave again, then plate won't adjust, then boat starts surging. Obviously, the cruise is not working correctly. Second day out putting up with the inconsistencies the damn boat starts taking about 5 seconds of turning over to start. Good gas, first time used after service, good battery. Oh, the alarm for low oil pressure stopped coming on when key is turned on but not started yet but I DO have good oil level. Motor is not running hot.

Pretty sure I am getting representation and going after Federal Lemon Law return.

BrettLee3232
04-26-2017, 10:30 PM
I am on my third time of surf system failing. First time completely quit and the dealer told me "loose connector." Second time the whole control screen went out and I couldn't even dump my ballast. 45 days back order to get that fixed and ruined the end of season last year. First trip out this year I started loosing the wave again, then plate won't adjust, then boat starts surging. Obviously, the cruise is not working correctly. Second day out putting up with the inconsistencies the damn boat starts taking about 5 seconds of turning over to start. Good gas, first time used after service, good battery. Oh, the alarm for low oil pressure stopped coming on when key is turned on but not started yet but I DO have good oil level. Motor is not running hot.

Pretty sure I am getting representation and going after Federal Lemon Law return.

Man that sucks, I feel bad for you. You bought from AWS right? I almost traded my boat for that one. Sucks man, it's very rare to have that many problems. It does happen though, just bad luck. Hopefully it all works out, not sure how the lemon law works though.

Sucks even more AWS isn't a SC dealer anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairlydangerous1
04-27-2017, 03:29 PM
I have used Lemon Law before and for a new vehicle, motorcycle, Boat, the Federal Law is very straight forward for the manufacturers responsibilities. Haven't even contacted them yet but it is an option if someone doesn't get it repaired. Get's real expensive for them when they have to take the boat back. They have to take boat back, give money back plus taxes and fees, can't sell the boat since it is a Lemon, etc.

Hope we don't get there.

RickT
04-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Sorry just saw this thread,

If there are any open issues with your systems please reach out to [email protected] or myself at [email protected] and we will move this along with your local dealer to get you taken care of. Again my apologies,

Rick

fairlydangerous1
04-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Will do. I am out of town working, then on vacation after that so it may up being a couple weeks now (last minute stuff) then I will contact you. Thanks for the response.

keweaver13
05-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Curious if there is a fix for this issue. This weekend I was showing some people we took out on the boat that are thinking about buying a wake boat. Filled up the ballast to show them the surf wake an it was a mess. Later in the day, I noticed that the starboard tab was deployed at 68% and the switch was set to off.

I slowed the boat down and toggled the switch and the port side got stuck. Took me several minutes to get both tabs back to 0%. Think Skiers Choice lost a potential buyer.

Will be reaching out to my dealer this week.

Jjdyn0mite
05-14-2017, 11:14 PM
I had some intermittent issues with the surf tabs and wake plate not responding last year. Would require a boat restart/reboot to get them back working. Since my winterization/100 hour service at the dealer, I haven't had the problem yet this year, I have put close to 20 hours on the boat so far and tabs work flawlessly. Didn't even ask if there was some sort of firmware upgrade done...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattsask
05-15-2017, 12:30 AM
Curious if there is a fix for this issue. This weekend I was showing some people we took out on the boat that are thinking about buying a wake boat. Filled up the ballast to show them the surf wake an it was a mess. Later in the day, I noticed that the starboard tab was deployed at 68% and the switch was set to off.

I slowed the boat down and toggled the switch and the port side got stuck. Took me several minutes to get both tabs back to 0%. Think Skiers Choice lost a potential buyer.

Will be reaching out to my dealer this week.
Mine has been to the dealer three times for that issue. They apparently worked with skiers choice this last time. The skiers rep said that the only solution is to shut everything down, including shutting off your battery switch. This apparently fixes the problem. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have also been told that it can be caused by having both batteries selected on the perko switch. This is just what I was told by the dealer that has been unable to resolve the problem, so take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jjdyn0mite
05-15-2017, 10:56 AM
I do not have dual batteries for what it's worth...

keweaver13
05-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Well took my boat to the dealer today and they could not replicate the issue. (Hate it when that happens). The stuck surf tab problem has only happened to me 2 times so far. If it happens again, it was recommend to attempt to get it on video.

Still want to give my dealer Kudo's... The Slalom Shop is about an hour drive one way and they were able to have one of their techs check out the boat.

MJHSupra
06-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Mine has been to the dealer three times for that issue. They apparently worked with skiers choice this last time. The skiers rep said that the only solution is to shut everything down, including shutting off your battery switch. This apparently fixes the problem. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have also been told that it can be caused by having both batteries selected on the perko switch. This is just what I was told by the dealer that has been unable to resolve the problem, so take that for what it's worth.

I've been following this thread. Still an issue?

mattsask
06-07-2017, 08:02 PM
I've been following this thread. Still an issue?
10 engine hours so far this season and it hasn't acted up yet.

flydad1
06-08-2017, 03:36 PM
I have about 10 hrs this season(60hrs total since new) and so far mine hasn't acted-up. Something new that I'm doing this year is running my engine at 1000rpm while filling and draining the ballast system. This keeps the battery voltage at 13.9v vs 12.5v at idle. If mine acts-up again, I'll be sure to post. I've always run my system on 1 battery. In the past, I've just needed to shut-off my engine, pause for 30 seconds, and then re-start my engine to re-set the surf system.

Pound
06-09-2017, 03:20 PM
For you guys having these intermittent trim/surf tab issues, when you start your boat, do you turn the key from Off straight to start? If so, you're bypassing a system check that it goes thru where it's looking for the current position of the tabs, etc. The only time i've had similar issues (and i have once or twice on my wake plate) is when i've hit the starter directly from the off position. When the starter kicks in, just like in your car, it momentarily kills power to everything else so the starter is getting full battery power and this interrupts whatever system check had started however briefly, confusing the computer. You have to pause in the Run position for a few seconds (maybe 5 or so) for the system check to complete... then hit Run.

Stazi
06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
For you guys having these intermittent trim/surf tab issues, when you start your boat, do you turn the key from Off straight to start? If so, you're bypassing a system check that it goes thru where it's looking for the current position of the tabs, etc. The only time i've had similar issues (and i have once or twice on my wake plate) is when i've hit the starter directly from the off position. When the starter kicks in, just like in your car, it momentarily kills power to everything else so the starter is getting full battery power and this interrupts whatever system check had started however briefly, confusing the computer. You have to pause in the Run position for a few seconds (maybe 5 or so) for the system check to complete... then hit Run.

I do that too. Let it go through the full check before I crank the ignition

keweaver13
06-26-2017, 10:49 AM
I do that too. Let it go through the full check before I crank the ignition

That makes sense. I know I let the boat go thru the check process when I put it in the water. But may not be giving it enough time when trading out wakeboarders, surfers, tubers...
The only time it has happened is when I am pulling.

fairlydangerous1
07-09-2017, 03:30 PM
I fixed mine by getting a 2017 MXZ24 BU!

russellsmojo
07-09-2017, 03:39 PM
I fixed mine by getting a 2017 MXZ24 BU!

Oh yea because they are perfect and never have problems. Go away with the sarcasm. They have a forum called Malibu crew to solve problems with their boats. Rumor is your new boat porpoises like crazy. Have fun with that.

fairlydangerous1
07-13-2017, 08:09 PM
After all the shirt I have put up with with this boat in the last year I earned the right for sarcasm and then some so piss off.

Signing off, over and out.

To those who had helped with possible solutions, thank you and no bang intended to anyone on here. Just a decision I made.

BrettLee3232
07-13-2017, 11:08 PM
After all the shirt I have put up with with this boat in the last year I earned the right for sarcasm and then some so piss off.

To those who had helped with possible solutions, thank you and no bang intended to anyone on here. Just a decision I made.

Pics or it didn't happen! How much you get it for?

russellsmojo
07-13-2017, 11:13 PM

You don't have to leave forum. I just felt the jab was uncalled for when a group of owners are trying to figure out some problems. I also thinking dogging out a brand on their own forum is a bit much. Especially when you slammed them comparing to your new $150k boat.

I follow Malibu crew, planet nautique etc because I learn from all of them. I also see that all boat makers face problems and have the occasional bad boat.