PDA

View Full Version : Straight Line Sumo Pump?

BrettLee3232
03-12-2017, 03:48 AM
https://www.wakemakers.com/launch-pad-sumo-pump.html?gclid=CMaQk_XQz9ICFUtNfgodyusHFg

Ok so I finally got to test my boat with 2 additional 650lb fat sacs. First off let me say that the wave was phenomenal with an additional 1300lbs. 10.8 mph & 3500 rpms. Wave had so much push it was awesome for my fat ass haha.

Here's a pic & the ibs wasn't even filled yet.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170312/b0a84d4ed1c57fa29dc050be54411014.jpg

The picture doesn't do the wave justice. I could of got a better angle or waited for the IBS to fill but I was antsy & wanted to surf the 64 degree water haha.

Here's a crappy picture....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170312/74485983ff7b753e19ec5ad5d753d819.jpg

Ok so everything was fine until it was time to drain....I've never used over the side pumps so I guess I'm a noob at it. Wait I lied I've used a fly high fat brick with their pump. Anyways pretty self explanatory on how it works. Well I guess I must be an idiot cause it was a hell of a time to drain these bags. The first bag would not prime...finally got it going somewhat but it took my about 20 minutes fooling around with it. Even then it didn't drain all the way. I ended up muscling it up on to the rear locker to drain off the side. Finally done with bag 1.

On to bag 2, well to say this bag took longer than bag 1 would be an understatement lol. I maybe got 150lbs of water out in 30 minutes. I said eff it and drained most of it on the floor until I could lift it up and drain over the side. Bilge did most of the work haha.

I watched the video I read the reviews but I must be an idiot. Please help!

That Guy
03-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Did you hold/push the pump down on the water in the bag? I have a different over the side pump and find you have to keep pressure on the pump to work well. And you reversed how you hooked it up to drain, right? Like pump in water to fill but pump on bag to empty?

Wave looks good, was all the extra weight on the rear seats?

JD14Mondo
03-12-2017, 10:55 AM
I have found you have to hold the end of the hose under water to get pump to prime. i think the trick is the end has to be lower than the water level in the bag. Once primed you can let go and it works good.

Northstarhi
03-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Certainly what "That Guy" said about pushing the punp against the bag makes a big difference and you have to do it the whole/most of the time you're draining.

I sold our Sumo sacks and pump on Craig's list as the take forever.

Made the move to Ronix eight.3 bags and 2× 3300 gpm pumps.

We fill and drain 2× 1000lb rear bags and a 500 lb bow sack in about 12 min

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BrettLee3232
03-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Did you hold/push the pump down on the water in the bag? I have a different over the side pump and find you have to keep pressure on the pump to work well. And you reversed how you hooked it up to drain, right? Like pump in water to fill but pump on bag to empty?

Wave looks good, was all the extra weight on the rear seats?

Yes I was pushing down. Rolled it on the side etc. it was horrible lol

One bag on the seat & one on the floor
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170312/5564af1b49547adf25e5bf7548103e5d.jpg

I have found you have to hold the end of the hose under water to get pump to prime. i think the trick is the end has to be lower than the water level in the bag. Once primed you can let go and it works good.

I wasn't sticking it deep in the water but I was trying to fill it with water. Would work for a second, I'd let it go and it stopped. Maybe I need to attach a small weight to it and sink it?

Certainly what "That Guy" said about pushing the punp against the bag makes a big difference and you have to do it the whole/most of the time you're draining.

I sold our Sumo sacks and pump on Craig's list as the take forever.

Made the move to Ronix eight.3 bags and 2× 3300 gpm pumps.

We fill and drain 2× 1000lb rear bags and a 500 lb bow sack in about 12 min

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah these are just for light crew days. I might try and plumb in a through hull reversible for this instead of a over the side pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beat taco
03-13-2017, 02:04 AM
Yes I was pushing down. Rolled it on the side etc. it was horrible lol

One bag on the seat & one on the floor
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170312/5564af1b49547adf25e5bf7548103e5d.jpg

I wasn't sticking it deep in the water but I was trying to fill it with water. Would work for a second, I'd let it go and it stopped. Maybe I need to attach a small weight to it and sink it?

Yeah these are just for light crew days. I might try and plumb in a through hull reversible for this instead of a over the side pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a reversible with a hose long enough to reach anything in my boat and quick connect fittings so I could fill and drain auxiliary bags. Same deal, light crew days. My neighbor put a T with some manual valves on one of his existing pumps to accomplish the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk