PDA

View Full Version : About to pull the trigger on a Helix...

jph3
02-21-2017, 09:49 PM
So, I feel like I have over-researched this purchase... we've had Nautiques in the past, but been out of boating for about 6 years while the kids were younger. Now all 3 are at a point where they can at least swim on their own, and after a couple trips out to Powell last year we are all set up to get back in.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is for a couple thoughts:
1. Originally I was looking to build a custom helix, and get all the options right from the start vs adding them over time. However, the build time is now pushed back so far we are going to miss the target on our first 2 trips. Not the end of the world, but definitely a damper.
2. There is a boat in stock, not the colors or the options I want... but basically I could add the items needed and be about $5k cheaper than the custom build.
3. Now an option popped up to buy a 2016 Mondo... well optioned, and I would save $3k off the in-stock Helix...
4. And even better, a 2016 Craz popped up that would be $10k cheaper (high hours) than the mondo.

I am confused... and trying to make a decision based on not having much time behind any of them. Budget is important, but this is a long-term decision, so I am hoping to not buy the cheap one and resell it quick. Looking for feedback on a couple things:
- If you google/youtube Helix reviews... there just arent any out there. There are a couple on this site, but I can't really find many things about them - the good bad and otherwise.
- Family of 5, not looking for a huge capacity... less people, more water time! Craz is as big as I would want to go.
- Warranty is big, so I would get the 7 years with the first two...
- Our main activities would be tubing for the kiddos and surfing - adults and kiddos.

AND... Smaller is better for garage space and our small Colorado lakes, but dang... That front end of the Helix is fugly!! ;)

jtatexc
02-21-2017, 10:39 PM
I am biased as craz owner but I say go that route ( not sure what you consider high but I managed to put 120 on mine since 08/2015. I personally like the design and more so the size of the craz over the helix. The craz feels quite a bit bigger inside than the mondo/helix ( and so I am being truthful the MOJO feels way bigger than the craz Imo, I just couldn't fit a MOJO in my garage). The craz is only just over a foot longer than the helix so if you have the foot to spare I say go that route. Just my .02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dlowe
02-21-2017, 10:44 PM
We couldn't be happier with our Mondo. We are on a small lake (300 acres) and anything bigger would have been overkill. We normally have a crew of 4-7 and there is plenty of room. Surf wave was great out of the box and it sounds like the wave is a lot less finicky than the larger Mojo. I am not a fan of the Helix interior but have heard the surf wave is great.

clark
02-21-2017, 10:50 PM
I agree the front end on the Helix is ugly. The Mondo would probably work however as you do take friends that boat may be a little smaller than you prefer. I owned a 2005 Moomba Möbius LSV and had 5 in the boat most of the time. That boat was 20' 8" and it was ok. If you plan on keeping it for a long time you may find you need more room. I am waiting on my Craz to be built and feel it is a good size but also understand budget and since Craz has only been out since 2016 there are not many used ines out there. Just make sure you get what you need for year to come

Pipeliner07
02-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Well I love my helix and I would say for a 20' boat this guy will keep up with the best of them https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/8c9c84547fbc254f68593a647c4d3eb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

clark
02-21-2017, 11:39 PM
I bet that color scheme looks good on the water.

jph3
02-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys... yes, looking to keep one for awhile so the Craz is appealing for that purpose. Also, we will spend alot of our time on Lake Powell, so between wind and some waves in the channel, thats one question I have for the Helix. Anyone have experience with it in some rough water?

Pipeliner, love the color combo, really nice boat!

BrettLee3232
02-22-2017, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys... yes, looking to keep one for awhile so the Craz is appealing for that purpose. Also, we will spend alot of our time on Lake Powell, so between wind and some waves in the channel, thats one question I have for the Helix. Anyone have experience with it in some rough water?

I have a Mondo & boat in Havasu so I am accustomed to rough water.

Personally if I had to do it again I would of spent the few dollars more and bought the mojo. It was my first boat at the time and wife had a budget that I already blew out the water lol so the Mondo was it.

Don't get me wrong I love the boat. It throws a killer surf wave & looks great on the water.

It's a little to small for me though, by the time you fill up the AO cooler under the seat & get a full size ice chest for beer there's not a lot of room left over for 13 passengers lol. No one ever complained but me though. I also had a board bag in the walkway that I recently just got rid of for a board rack under the Bimini to hold my custom board. Which will free up a ton of space.

Rough water is "ok" I was use to tunnel boats & big V bottoms in the past so it was a shocker to feel the waves in the Mondo. You really have to slow her down in the rough. Like 20-25mph.

I didn't realize how rough it rode till my buddy bought a 23' MB B52 & that thing rode like a Caddy.

Other than that it's a great boat & served us well for 2 years so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtatexc
02-22-2017, 12:03 AM

I am also in Colorado and ride most all the lakes and the craz is by no means too big or overkill. In fact since action waters ports opened in Denver there are a ton of g23's and g25's all over and they seem to be plenty happy and not think they are overkill. As for rough water I have no complaints in the craz. I have ridden some choppy weekend crap at cherry Creek and it handles it well.

jph3
02-22-2017, 12:13 AM
Totally agree... have multiple buddies with G23's. The G25's are just huge though.

Good to know on the Craz in the rough... Thanks for the info.

jtatexc
02-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Totally agree... have multiple buddies with G23's. The G25's are just huge though.

Good to know on the Craz in the rough... Thanks for the info.
Whatever you land in hit me up. I'm a teacher so am pretty open in the summer and am always looking to ride

Pipeliner07
02-22-2017, 12:27 AM
Well it dwells 26"1/2" and has tons of free board I've hade it in some pretty rough water with no problems https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/6ccd222ee8e7bde4c62d74350049e537.jpg

jph3
02-22-2017, 12:42 AM
Whatever you land in hit me up. I'm a teacher so am pretty open in the summer and am always looking to ride

Will do for sure!

sandm
02-22-2017, 09:09 AM
started out in a 20ft supra launch20ssv. I am now in a 22ft boat and would never go back to the 20 again. I don't ever have a lot of people on the boat but the added 2ft is worth the few $$ up front and those few extra $$ up front will be much cheaper than the loss at trade in and buying a bigger boat as the kiddo's grow and want to invite friends out.
don't have kids but if I did have 3, I would be shopping the mojo for the added room knowing that 3 kids will mean 6 plus 2 adults and the occasional friends parent that wants to come. now you have 9 or 10 in the boat....

good luck.

dusty2221
02-22-2017, 09:38 AM
^yup, started in the same boat as sandm, totally agree

deerfield
02-22-2017, 09:53 AM
... we've had Nautiques in the past, but been out of boating ... get all the options right from the start vs adding them over time.

If you have the budget to support a custom build, do it. Get the colors, trailer, cover, electronics, other options, and peace of mind warranty you want. We did that and never looked back. Boat was perfect every time out. Only thing added several years after purchase were LED cupholders, which were not a factory option at the time we bought. Our Moomba replaced a Nautique sold shortly after I got married. When the boys were old enough, we bought the Moomba. Family of five.

Pipeliner07
02-22-2017, 11:34 AM
The Helix has a 102 beam the widest in moomba fleet it's roomier then you would think if you haven't been in one you really can't judge it's size https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/03fce255c9c037aff849a3ec2f83fc53.jpg

Mondo Ken
02-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Morning all. Just my 2¢ also...... I am trading in my 2001 Kamberra on a 2017 Mondo. I wanted a shorter boat because I own a cottage on a smaller lake and the Kamberra was that one size too big at 22' long. At the Toronto boat there was both a Mondo and a Helix. Comparatively the Mondo suited me better as it was shallower and I preferred the dash and the nose over the Helix. The price was good on the Helix, but the one major draw back was that the Helix did not have a ski pylon. I have 3 teenagers that are into every water sport. So without a pylon, skiing and tubing were out. I've seen people attach the tube rope to the tower, but every manufacturer says not to. In a nutshell, with your kids being younger you don't want to make a large investment and not be able to do everything the kids are hoping to do.

Prospersigman
02-22-2017, 12:08 PM
I 100% agree with Sandm and Dusty. Kids grow, kids want to invite friends, or you make friends with the kids parents and then you have 9-11 people in a boat with coolers, beach bags, everything else. I started with a 18' boat when I had just 1 kid that was 2 years old, I then went to a 21' boat with 2 kids (2&4 years old), now they are 7 and 9 and we always bring at least 1 additional kid and another adult couple with a kid or two.

If this is a boat you are going to keep for the next 5-7 years...maybe more. I would go Mojo all the way, definitely no smaller then Craz.

Pipeliner07
02-22-2017, 01:04 PM
I hook tube Rope to back of boat https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/284c2c9c4a3c74bae66f311de6ceabcf.jpg