PDA

View Full Version : Used Moomba Outback Question

Matlock339
02-18-2017, 12:53 AM
Howdy everybody.

New to this Forum.

Looking at buying a used 2005 Moomba Outback.

Was hoping to get some feedback and/or prior owner input on buying one.

Any advice, suggestions, or warnings?

Thanks

Jordy Dag
02-18-2017, 07:38 AM
First off, welcome.
How many hours?
Direct drive or v drive?
Which watersports are you planning on doing with it?
I have a 2008 outback and the family loves it. Its a versatile do everything boat for little money invested versus some of the competitors. If its been well looked after it will serve you well but without more info its hard to give a good description of what to expect.

Matlock339
02-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Sorry,

270hrs

Direct drive. Has perfect pass. Looks well cared for, some small initial seat wear, clean engine.

This a EFI or carb? Can't seem to find that.

Lake cruising/general use, tubing, knee boarding....trying wakeboard and sking. Got a 6 yr old.

Last boat I had was a bay liner 18ft 4.3, btw

Matlock339
02-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Forgot to mention, trailer included and lots of gear.

lee
02-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Sorry,

This a EFI or carb? Can't seem to find that.

Could be either, did it have Assault on the breather cover? If so MPI.

Matlock339
02-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Yes it does, says "Indmar assault"

Darter
02-20-2017, 09:38 PM
We just got a 2004 mobius dd last summer after 30+ years of runabouts in the family. Best boating choice we ever made.

Be sure to test drive whatever you buy. Have the seller show you how to dock... It's way different than with i/os and outboards. You'll also need to take into account the low bow in rough chop at low speeds. Nothing that would ever have me switching boats, just new things to get used to.

Perhaps the single most important thing to look for is evidence of routine maintenance. If it was properly cared for, you'll be getting a solid boat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Matlock339
02-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Seems really well cared for. Engine is shiny, so is the paint. Test drove it and it ran like a champ. Shot out of the hole like no runabout I've ever owned. Only has 239 hours on the meter. Got some normal nicks and seats have a couple small wear spots but very very clean and just overal showed well.

kaneboats
02-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Buy it and don't look back. You will love it. And, you can get all the help on here you need for whatever you want to do.

zabooda
02-21-2017, 12:12 PM
My Mobius is going into it's third decade with very little issues. Enjoy.

Matlock339
02-21-2017, 12:57 PM
OK great. Thanks guys. I don't mind turning a wrench but didnt wanna do that every weekend. I enjoy being able to do some maintenance myself, just makes you more aware of and better able to spot problems...so I'll probably have some questions!

One of which is: do I need to re-winterize the boat since we test drove it? The boat lives in central Alabama. Nothing below freezing coming for a couple weeks but didnt want to be careless and damage it.

Darter
02-21-2017, 02:57 PM
I'll let the southern boaters elaborate, but if your low temps are still close to 30 with daytime highs well above that, you're parked in a garage, and the boat is covered, you probably won't need to. I've heard of guys just putting a shoplight under the boat cover to keep things warmer.

Winterizing is pretty easy, especially if you don't have a heater. Pull two plugs from the block, and pull the hoses.

kaneboats
02-21-2017, 04:04 PM
If you have a garage I wouldn't worry this late. Watch the forecast and drop a trouble light under the clamshell if it is below 28 or so. Supposed to hit 80 here next week.

MJHSupra
02-21-2017, 08:53 PM
I'll let the southern boaters elaborate, but if your low temps are still close to 30 with daytime highs well above that, you're parked in a garage, and the boat is covered, you probably won't need to. I've heard of guys just putting a shoplight under the boat cover to keep things warmer.

Winterizing is pretty easy, especially if you don't have a heater. Pull two plugs from the block, and pull the hoses.

^^^ Yep. Pull the 2 motor plugs, 2 drive plugs, 1 muffler plug, and hoses around the cooling system. Get the water out of the bilge. There are some threads on here. Pretty easy.

If it's around 30 at night and warmer in the day, I've seen guys put a light in the hatch at night. Without pulling the plugs. That is NOT for me.

If a hard-freeze is coming, cold day/night, winterize it right by getting all the water out.

AL - you do not need just need all this antifreeze stuff. Too much work B/C you will be turning around in <2 months and using it a lot. Feb is almost gone, but there will be more cold on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matlock339
02-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Good word guys, thank you.

Do y'all do tune-ups every year? (Plugs, wires, timing, points, oil change, etc.)? I remember my Dad tuning up our older cars about once a year that had these old systems.

kaneboats
02-22-2017, 12:36 PM
No way every year on tune ups. Yes way on oil change, v-drive oil and transmission fluid. There is a service chart in the owners manual. You can find the manual here (from home page, go to "Safety and Resources" then "Boat Archive" and find your year/model:

https://www.moomba.com/models/archive

Mikey
02-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Great boats, simple to maintain and service and nice all around boat. Skis well and decent for wakeboard and surf. Definitely , change oil, tranny fluid and drain heater core if you have one, after that change fuel filter every second year and winterize according to what you deal with weather wise etc. follow maintenance schedule and the rest should fall in place. Wear and a little tear is part of boat life but with care can be kept to a minimum.. If you want other tips or hints about this boat hit me up.

MJHSupra
02-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Great boats, simple to maintain and service and nice all around boat. Skis well and decent for wakeboard and surf. Definitely , change oil, tranny fluid and drain heater core if you have one, after that change fuel filter every second year and winterize according to what you deal with weather wise etc. follow maintenance schedule and the rest should fall in place. Wear and a little tear is part of boat life but with care can be kept to a minimum.. If you want other tips or hints about this boat hit me up.

+1 one that. You also should look at your cap (under-side), plugs, and plug wires when getting the boat out of storage. There are some different threads on here on when to change them. My cap and plugs are every 2-3 years - cheap and easy. You could also go longer depending on the yearly hours. I think the Indmar manual says 300 hours or annually. I would do annual if I had a carbed engine, not a MPI. Plug wires last a lot longer. You want to look for any frays on them. Another easy item to swap and buy online, but a good set will cost a few dollars.

Matlock339
02-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Got it.

Ok, how in the world do you judge or know what HP and Carb vs. MPI the boat is? There were apparently 3 engine varieties but I can't tell which is which. A 310hp Carb, 320hp MPI, and a 340hp MPI according to the manual. I can see mine is the "Indmar Assault" and looks like a Holley carb but can't find any other clues.

MJHSupra
02-23-2017, 06:52 PM
With pics . . . . . . the only carb I ever see is on my 70 chevelle . . . . points too under there. Old school.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?25963-Indmar-assault-mpi-325-or-340

Matlock339
02-23-2017, 09:11 PM
25286. Ok here we go

Matlock339
02-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Here we go 25287. 25288

lee
02-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Got it.

Ok, how in the world do you judge or know what HP and Carb vs. MPI the boat is? There were apparently 3 engine varieties but I can't tell which is which. A 310hp Carb, 320hp MPI, and a 340hp MPI according to the manual. I can see mine is the "Indmar Assault" and looks like a Holley carb but can't find any other clues.

As I mentioned in post #5, the Assault is a MPI engine with 320 hp.

Matlock339
02-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Perfect, thanks again!

Matlock339
02-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Ok, out of sheer curiosity, I called and emailed Moomba, to be sure for insurance. They kindly and quickly emailed me back, I sent them my Hull ID in and within 30 minutes, they emailed me the info.

Mine is a 310 Carb, according to Moomba. Never though it'd be that easy to communicate with a manufacturer and get that info.

lee
02-24-2017, 10:08 AM
At least you have the upgraded air intake cover. Just don't tell people what is under the cover.....

Stazi
02-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Unscrew the top cover and take a pick. Looks like it's carburetored to me, but the pics aren't the best.

kaneboats
02-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Pic #1 in post #22 has a little peak at a carb. It's the 310 carbed one. My carbed motor in my Outback LS ran great. One guy on here was shocked how fast it was and asked me what I had under there. I wouldn't let him look. Heh heh.

zabooda
02-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Back in 2005, the fuel injection option was about five grand which was a significant jump in price, reliability of fuel injection systems on boats was still in question so people opted for the proven technology. Nowadays, I would go with fuel injection for the easier cold engine start and fuel consumption. With the carbed engine, run non-ethanol gas with Stabile when winterizing, fog the engine and then use a carb cleaner in the spring.

Stazi
02-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Pic #1 in post #22 has a little peak at a carb. It's the 310 carbed one. My carbed motor in my Outback LS ran great. One guy on here was shocked how fast it was and asked me what I had under there. I wouldn't let him look. Heh heh.

OK then. What he said. It's the 310hp.