PDA

View Full Version : Hull defect

jtatexc
02-15-2017, 08:04 PM
So as some of you know, I had a rough go with my boat this winter. Well, half of it is taken care of and half now isn't. The heavy swirls left in my gel coat from thr dealer doing a poor detail are polished and at least OK looking now, but DEFINITELY not as nice as before the crap buff job was done. The boat was flawless when I left it.
But I am now left with a very bizarre huge dent in my hull that I have no explanation for. I have hundreds of pictures and video from different angles over the last year and a half proving it was not there prior to being stored at the dealer for warranty work from November through late January in Colorado. The boat has never seen below 40 degrees prior to this but after picking it up we found this huge basketball size dent. I have never seen anything like it, nor has the dealer as they claim, nor the local boat body shop. My understanding is that the dealer is submitting the info to SC to see what they say but I am left with this huge dent. Even the dealer admits that I am way too anal of a person not to have noticed this before now. My question is this, anyone here ever seen or heard of fiberglass hulls warping (specifically where this has happened) and what may have caused it? The dealer said if it ends up being a warranty issue that could be as far as a hull replacement which makes me extremely uneasy as I was ridiculously upset about simply swirls in my gel coat. I fear that if it comes to a hulk replacement I am gonna ditch this thing and go back to Tige.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/5ac6c036bb575e6033d63263eeab5967.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/20011a972720ae62716f4b9e7a3ed9b8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/3ad30327bd561adb0d813aaae150a610.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jtatexc
02-15-2017, 08:05 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/04b352b2b3c4074de983edec7f99b4e1.jpg

From the rear. I'm at a total loss....

mattsask
02-15-2017, 08:25 PM
That is so bizarre. You're having a rough go it it this winter. I've never need anything like that before. We regularly stored our old mastercraft in -40c for many winters and never had any kind of issue like that. You've got me nervous now, because my craz sat at the dealer during almost exactly the same time frame, during extreme cold. Has nobody got any sort of explanation for you? There doesn't look to be any sort of strike mark.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

jtatexc
02-15-2017, 08:36 PM
That is so bizarre. You're having a rough go it it this winter. I've never need anything like that before. We regularly stored our old mastercraft in -40c for many winters and never had any kind of issue like that. You've got me nervous now, because my craz sat at the dealer during almost exactly the same time frame, during extreme cold. Has nobody got any sort of explanation for you? There doesn't look to be any sort of strike mark.

The guy at Mountain marine who polished out the swirls said he could not see any signs of a covered up impact. He said the original eggshell was there which I can't tell either way but to me and my friends all agree is does look more dull around that area. There are no spider cracks or anything either. But it definitely was not there before November, zero chance at all. I spend an hour cleaning this thing each time out, I would have noticed a basketball size dent in the hull. Salt on the wound was my wife just went "it looks worse" when I brought it home today after being gone a week at the detail shop.

mattsask
02-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Man, that is so depressing. Short of replacing the boat, I don't think I would be satisfied with any remedy. That's way too big of a purchase to be uneasy about. I bet that new tige R23 is looking very tempting right now.

jtatexc
02-15-2017, 08:54 PM
My point exactly. If I ditch the moomba it will be a r22. That is as big as I could get in my garage and good bang for buck. We will see.

MJHSupra
02-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Salt on the wound was my wife just went "it looks worse" when I brought it home today after being gone a week at the detail shop.

Ouch. Sucks. Looks like something ran into it.

Living up north when I grew up, never seen a boat and cold do this. Contact SC and work with them.
It's the one side correct?

jtatexc
02-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Ouch. Sucks. Looks like something ran into it.

Living up north when I grew up, never seen a boat and cold do this. Contact SC and work with them.
It's the one side correct?
Yes it's just the one side. The shop it went to has a good reputation and said he didn't think it was hit, but I had 3 other people swear it had to have been.

dusty2221
02-15-2017, 10:34 PM
From what I can tell, if you were in the boat that intention is exactly where the kick out is that runs from the top of the hull cap down to the floor, the same kickout your stock or modified amp rack is mounted too. Is that right?

I have a similar look where the two are on my SE. The amp rack side of the boat, port, is more noticeable than the starboard side.

jtatexc
02-15-2017, 11:46 PM
From what I can tell, if you were in the boat that intention is exactly where the kick out is that runs from the top of the hull cap down to the floor, the same kickout your stock or modified amp rack is mounted too. Is that right?

I have a similar look where the two are on my SE. The amp rack side of the boat, port, is more noticeable than the starboard side.

I went out and sure enough it is right where the amp rack ends and is slightly wider than the amp bracket is mounted. The only thing though is that I know for sure it was not there before. Could the wood on the rack have warped and caused it?

BobP
02-16-2017, 04:44 PM
That's terrible. Any chance that during the detailing/buffing it got hot enough to warp, maybe with some interaction of the amp bracket behind it?

jtatexc
02-16-2017, 05:08 PM
That's terrible. Any chance that during the detailing/buffing it got hot enough to warp, maybe with some interaction of the amp bracket behind it?
No this part was not detailed. The detail work was only above the hull, this part wasn't touched to my knowledge. I've done a lot of research today and found that it certainly is possible that the piece of wood supporting the amp rack could have warped due to dramatic temp and humidity level change while the dealer had it outside. Whether that could have caused this I am no expert but seems possible. I am currently waiting on a call from SC to see what the next step is. The dealer sent all the info off and requested they contact me directly.

wolfeman131
02-16-2017, 05:21 PM
is the amp rack made of wood? I thought it was starboard/plastic material.

jtatexc
02-16-2017, 05:27 PM
is the amp rack made of wood? I thought it was starboard/plastic material.
The rack itself and the pieces attaching it to the hull are all carpet covered and I have not had them out. The pieces attaching it to the hull look very much like a 2x4 shape so I would assume wood but please don't quote me on that.

A buddy of mine suggested pulling the rack and see if I can get the attachment/support pieces off and see if maybe relieving the pressure would help but that would involve unhooking 4 amps, battery charger and positive terminal station for something I am not sure can be removed.

I just called the dealer to share my current frustration and the gentleman I need to speak with is gone until Tuesday. This dent cannot be fixed. I still have some swirls in my paint even after an extensive Polish, and if they have to replace the hull all together through warranty it just won't feel like mine anymore. Sucks...

wolfeman131
02-16-2017, 05:33 PM
call SC directly - don't wait for Tuesday. If nothing else, see if the folks at Atlanta Marine will let you talk with Adam in service. He's awesome.

seems odd that they can't get those swirls out. folks on here have done a little wetsanding themselves and results have been outstanding. if that didn't work for them, they should have done a total gelcoat repair. I've seen before & after of serious damage and the work has been so good, you'd never know anything has happened to the boat.

dusty2221
02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
I can assure you the folks that had the boat did not cause it. Also, your oem amp rack is not wood. There is no wood on your boat.

Curious to see what SC says because like I said, my SE looks identical.

As far as pulling it to relieve pressure, the factory amp rack can be removed with just a handful of screws from those supports we're talking about. You can leave everything intact and set it right on the floor.

jtatexc
02-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Dusty, is yours as dramatic and did you mention it to the dealer? I am curious what you were told if so. I've had random neighbors notice this indent without even being asked which is killing me, I can see it towing in the rear view and it is defiantly new in the last couple months. If I were to pull the rack itself, are the pieces attaching the rack to the hull also removable?

dusty2221
02-16-2017, 05:57 PM
I have not spoken to the dealer about it. I will take some good photos so you can compare when we get back in town. The supports in the boat do not appear to be removable at all

jtatexc
02-16-2017, 06:02 PM
I have not spoken to the dealer about it. I will take some good photos so you can compare when we get back in town. The supports in the boat do not appear to be removable at all

That would be great, thanks! The supports is what I was worried about, I don't think taking the rack itself is gonna so anything. I'm just at a loss as to why it happened now and was not like this from the factory. I have looked at every pic I have which is A LOT in different lighting and angles and it defiantly wasn't there

mattsask
02-17-2017, 02:55 AM
This whole situation reminded me of a conversation I had with my sales rep when I picked my boat from the dealer during -35 Celsius weather. I asked him whether trailering 3 hrs in that frigid temperature could pose any risk to my hull or gel. He told me that extreme temperature shock can cause issues. He went on to say that they have a protocol for introducing boats back into that climate after being inside during winter months. I believe he said the process took over an hour and they had a service bay dedicated to slowly introducing each boat back to the frigid temperature. Basically just opening the door for certain periods of time to allow slow cooling. Not sure if this is what happened in your situation, but maybe if you tactfully approach both businesses that handled your boat, you can find if either of them did that....

Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but, hopefully that gives you some ammunition to get this issue resolved.

jtatexc
02-17-2017, 08:53 AM
I am supposed to hear from SC at some point and will certainly bring that up. I pulled the amp rack last night and the bracket it is sitting on is actually molded fiberglass from the hull so I have absolutely no clue what is going on there

New Guy
02-17-2017, 11:17 PM
My '14 has a similar flat spot in in but not enough to make me do anything yet. Also our boat has never been below 50* heated storage.

jtatexc
02-18-2017, 02:52 AM
As much as I try, I just can't get over it. I'm gonna try and do a vinyl design around it in hopes the contour hides it. .you wife suggested making a giant bandaid lol

patrick232
02-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Could there dealer have parked a diesel next to the boat and caused this?

jtatexc
02-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Could there dealer have parked a diesel next to the boat and caused this?
No there was no signs of impact according to the body shop and the fact it is where the amp rack is says that has something to do with it

Stazi
02-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Perhaps the amp rack reinforcement is affecting the contraction and expansion of the hull in that location which is only visible now due to the temprature changes over winter? Probably something that SC didn't anticipate when they added that feature.

patrick232
02-20-2017, 01:17 PM
No there was no signs of impact according to the body shop and the fact it is where the amp rack is says that has something to do with it

I have seen diesel trucks deform plastic bumpers when parked next to cars. The newer trucks burn hotter than before and if in a regeneration cycle get really hot.

wolfeman131
02-20-2017, 01:19 PM

I don't think he is talking about an impact. I think he is referring to heat.

nitrodude24
02-20-2017, 10:54 PM
The amp rack has nothing to do with it. The amp rack is just mounted between the 2 vertical stringers running up the bow were the curve is.Now having said that I like dusty my supra has a small indention on the port side in the same area across from the amp rack, hence there is no 1/2 starboard mounted with four 3 inch screws there, so again the amp rack didn't cause this. Now in my opinion based on nothing other than my opinion, the extreme cold could cause materials to contract or expand its just fact but I don't know how much temperatire effects fiberglass, I think fiberglass continues to cure for a while just like oil based paints but for how long I don't know, these are questions for someone familar with boat repairs.

996scott
02-21-2017, 12:01 PM
If it is due to the colder temps, I wonder if possibly with warmer temps it will push back out. Wishful thinking but just a thought.

JHutch
02-21-2017, 12:56 PM
I just cant see temperature change causing that indention. Also I would have to assume that if it was an impact or something that happened suddenly wouldn't the fiberglass spider web?

jtatexc
02-21-2017, 04:30 PM
So just heard back. Looks like it is going to be repaired by local shop in a couple weeks. They will be doing work on the glass to smooth it out. If all goes well, I will be launching late March with this all as a faint memory

zabooda
02-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Good news. Do they have a reason for the issue?

jtatexc
02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Good news. Do they have a reason for the issue?
I don't want to be guilty of misquoting anything as that can be a dangerous thing but he said they have seen it happen before and it had to do with the glass curing. I didn't go too much further into it, just happy it'll be taken care of

dusty2221
02-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Very interested to know the fix, what they do exactly. Is the dealership covering this or is Skiers handling it under Hull warranty?

jtatexc
02-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Very interested to know the fix, what they do exactly. Is the dealership covering this or is Skiers handling it under Hull warranty?
Hull warranty. Local shop is gonna be laying new glass and flattening it out. Dealership said they are submitting the warranty claim to SC

MJHSupra
02-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Hull warranty. Local shop is gonna be laying new glass and flattening it out. Dealership said they are submitting the warranty claim to SC

Hope they start soon . . . .

bjrow
02-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Glad to hear they are sorting it out for you.
Did you have a look behind the amp rack to see if it curved in or is that a 2nd skin so to speak?
Sounds like a temp issue and improper curing at the time of manufacture, thought it may be worth putting some pressure from inside outwards and leave in the sun for a bit during a warmer day.
Regards BruceR.

jtatexc
02-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Glad to hear they are sorting it out for you.
Did you have a look behind the amp rack to see if it curved in or is that a 2nd skin so to speak?
Sounds like a temp issue and improper curing at the time of manufacture, thought it may be worth putting some pressure from inside outwards and leave in the sun for a bit during a warmer day.
Regards BruceR.
I tried peeking behind but nothing obvious. It will have a bit of time to sit in my garage for a couple weeks so we will see what it does before it hits the shop. It's weird this happened but semi comforting to know it has happened to others and not just with SC boats

rdlangston13
02-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Glad to hear they are taking care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitcheyb
09-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Just called Also about this on my boat .They said unless it’s a quarter inch they would not fix it .Said it’s from bulk head contracting and expanding .I have one on the left side and now it’s starting on the right side also .They said if it’s. Quarter inch or more it will be covered on warranty .So if not guess I’m stuck with a boat with dents on it .Frustrated is all I have to say .