PDA

View Full Version : Not Happy with my Mojo surf wave, need advice

Ramzak
02-15-2017, 02:54 AM
I have a 216 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (upgraded ballast, autoflow, etc...)

I surfed it all summer last year and had lots of problems getting enough push from the wave to surf without a rope. The only time I am able to continually surf without a rope is about 6-inches from the swim platform, which I know is wrong.

Tried multiple boards, same results.

I can surf my friends Nautique 230 all day

What is the optimal setup for those of you that think you have your Mojo dialed in?

BrettLee3232
02-15-2017, 03:04 AM
I have a 216 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (upgraded ballast, autoflow, etc...)

I surfed it all summer last year and had lots of problems getting enough push from the wave to surf without a rope. The only time I am able to continually surf without a rope is about 6-inches from the swim platform, which I know is wrong.

Tried multiple boards, same results.

I can surf my friends Nautique 230 all day

What is the optimal setup for those of you that think you have your Mojo dialed in?

What's your ballast setup, flow settings, speed, wake plate, elevation, water depth, board, your actual weight/height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramzak
02-15-2017, 03:25 AM
Well. I have been changing all those parameters all of the 2016 boating season, not sure what the last setting was

But ballast is about 100% full, didn't notice much difference when messing with level of ballast (50%-100%) all 3 ballasts.

Flow settings from 65%-100%

I'm on the gulf coast, so elevation is pretty damn close to sea level

Water depth ranges from 15' on a local river to 100'+ on some lakes. We go all over the place.

Tried about 5 different boards mostly rode the CWB Tsunami

5'8"/200lbs

If you think you can tell anything from that, please do

But I'm mostly interested in what others are doing to maximize wave/push characteristics.

BrettLee3232
02-15-2017, 03:26 AM
Well. I have been changing all those parameters all of the 2016 boating season, not sure what the last setting was

But ballast is about 100% full, didn't notice much difference when messing with level of ballast (50%-100%) all 3 ballasts.

Flow settings from 65%-100%

I'm on the gulf coast, so elevation is pretty damn close to sea level

Water depth ranges from 15' on a local river to 100'+ on some lakes. We go all over the place.

Tried about 5 different boards mostly rode the CWB Tsunami

5'8"/200lbs

If you think you can tell anything from that, please do

But I'm mostly interested in what others are doing to maximize wave/push characteristics.

What's your ballast setup? Stock 650s in the rear? Or do you have more?

Ramzak
02-15-2017, 03:38 AM
I don't recall the weight

But whatever comes stock when you order the Surf Package.

Stazi
02-15-2017, 08:02 AM
There's your problem. The stock bags are 650 which are useless on the Mojo for surfing. It has a massive hull that needs a lot of volume that needs to be sunk to displace enough water to create a wave with enough push. Same issue we had with my buddies XLV which the Mojo replaced. We had to upgrade to 1100's on that, plus we run extra bags on the seats when we have a smaller crew (3). Weight is you friend for surfing. The 650's are enough for wakeboard but not big enough for a good wave on the Mojo. You need to upgrade both rears to 1100's and are you filling the bow bag to max as well? What speed are you running at? Typically you should be between 10.5-11mph. Double check that with a GPS.

BrettLee3232
02-15-2017, 11:51 AM
I don't recall the weight

But whatever comes stock when you order the Surf Package.

Yes that is not enough. You need 1100s in the rear, some people even put 375-450 under the bench seats. Mojo is a big girl, she needs a lot of weight to sink her down. There's no replacement for displacement.

dusty2221
02-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Of topic, but you had posted up stereo questions back when you got the new ride and never hit us with any pics. I know you had a big equipment list, I was anxious to see how it all turned out.

smorris7
02-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Yes that is not enough. You need 1100s in the rear, some people even put 375-450 under the bench seats. Mojo is a big girl, she needs a lot of weight to sink her down. There's no replacement for displacement.

This! Mojo needs lots of weight and the stock set up does not cut it. 1100 in the rears are a must. I would even suggest the Enzo sacs for the rears. The Mojo will put out a fantastic surf wave once you get it dialed. Should put you buddies 230 to shame..

mattsask
02-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Go with the 1450 enzo's and never look back. I put the 1100's in my craz have some regrets about not going bigger.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ramzak
02-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Of topic, but you had posted up stereo questions back when you got the new ride and never hit us with any pics. I know you had a big equipment list, I was anxious to see how it all turned out.

Sorry bro

Yes, stereo is complete. I'll post pics of setup when I get a chance. Crazy situation, the boat actually ended up at the Wet Sounds facility and their own in-house dept re-installed and tuned my stereo for me. I'll go into the description asap.

Ramzak
02-15-2017, 08:16 PM
I will look into getting better/bigger bags

I want it all to hook up into factory system, so throwing bags inside the cabin is out of my desire for what I want from my boat.

Ramzak
02-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Is there a link to the Enzo bags y'all recommend?

Stazi
02-15-2017, 10:00 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Enzo+ballast+bag+wakemakers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tnbrooks01
02-16-2017, 12:40 AM
You would also be amazed at how different the wake is when using steel shot bags (leadwake.com)

50-100lbs at the very back corners or in front of the nose sack makes a world of difference.

Stazi
02-16-2017, 06:53 AM
Lead doesn't float though

MJHSupra
02-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Lead doesn't float though

Good point. Nor does it take up much room.

If you do not have a big crew, a few bags to move around might help.

Ramzak
02-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Can these Enzo bags be had for a reasonable price somewhere? $500 a pop seems way high

tnbrooks01
02-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Can these Enzo bags be had for a reasonable price somewhere? $500 a pop seems way high

They make their model specific bags, so not really. We have discount codes floating around this forum but Spencer and the wakemakers crew are good folks and will take care of what you need.

You could shop around for used stuff on eBay and various forums but that's the best place to get new.

Stazi
02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Wtf are you talking about. They are $299
https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-centurion-enzo-ballast-bag.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA25rFBRC8rfyX1vjeg7YBEiQAFIb 3bwh6UrVSLchlUuiCRxw_zgzMTsRjxMUDvHY-i9gUxdoaAs1m8P8HAQ

smorris7
02-17-2017, 01:07 PM
https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-centurion-enzo-ballast-bag.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA25rFBRC8rfyX1vjeg7YBEiQAFIb 3bwh6UrVSLchlUuiCRxw_zgzMTsRjxMUDvHY-i9gUxdoaAs1m8P8HAQ

That is a great deal! Plus add the forum discount and your in business!

mattsask
02-17-2017, 10:01 PM
How did you find those? I can not find them when searching the website but following your link took me there.... weird

Stazi
02-17-2017, 10:02 PM
I'm a big magical bastard. Google shows it as one of the results when you search for them.

mattsask
02-17-2017, 10:44 PM
Nicely done. Who wants my 1100's? They are officially for sale to the highest bidder.

jtatexc
02-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Nicely done. Who wants my 1100's? They are officially for sale to the highest bidder.

Lmao! I am thinking about ordering the Enzo sacks and selling mine too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Stazi
02-18-2017, 07:17 PM
God damn it. I just bought 1100 at the end of last season. Now I'm wandering if they're going to be too small. [emoji23]

mattsask
02-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Haha 1100's get the job done well. I just wanted the enzo's for days with a small crew. I ordered mine yesterday.... will keep you guys posted about how well they fit.

jtatexc
02-18-2017, 11:04 PM
God damn it. I just bought 1100 at the end of last season. Now I'm wandering if they're going to be too small. [emoji23]

Ain't gonna like, made me lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

russellsmojo
02-19-2017, 11:59 PM
Wow... Pretty intense language considering the discussion is about a ballast bag.

Stazi
02-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Wow... Pretty intense language considering the discussion is about a ballast bag.

We're passionate about wakeboarding and surfing!

tnbrooks01
02-20-2017, 11:24 AM

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-enzo-surf-sac.html

not sure why there is such a difference in price. but would assume this is where OP came up with the $500

mattsask
02-20-2017, 03:41 PM
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-enzo-surf-sac.html

not sure why there is such a difference in price. but would assume this is where OP came up with the $500
Ya, it seems that just the wakemakers in house bags are on sale, and the fly high bags are not. I spoke to wakemakers when I ordered a pair of enzo's the other day and they said the bags will be on sale for at least another 1-2 months.

wolfeman131
02-20-2017, 05:19 PM
I put the wakemakers custom bags in my SA and have been very pleased.

DatTexasBoy
02-20-2017, 08:50 PM
1450's seems excessive. 1100's should do the trick

Stazi
02-20-2017, 09:25 PM

I'm hoping so, and I have extra bags if that ain't the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattsask
02-20-2017, 10:23 PM
I assure you it's not excessive. I ran 1100's last year and ended up running a 600 on the floor in the back. Plus a bag under the bow filler cushion. There is a point of diminishing returns, but that's not it...

russellsmojo
02-21-2017, 12:04 AM
If you already have 1,100's get some lead weight and save your storage. Plus you can move it easy.

mattsask
02-21-2017, 12:35 AM
If you already have 1,100's get some lead weight and save your storage. Plus you can move it easy.
It's very shallow in front of our cottage for about 80 yards, and I already only have a few inches of clearance when the water is low. I would need about 10 more sections of dock if I wanted to roll with lead 24/7. I will be using a couple hundred lbs of steel in the nose, but other than that, my hands are kind of tied.

smorris7
02-21-2017, 07:59 AM

No such thing! No replacement for displacement!

jmvotto
02-21-2017, 11:08 AM

yep, mojo runs great with 4 to 5k in ballast

sivs1
02-21-2017, 11:40 AM
How long does it take to fill 4 to 5k of water? Assuming you are running all reversibles.

mattsask
02-21-2017, 01:29 PM
13-14 minutes

smorris7
02-21-2017, 02:03 PM
How long does it take to fill 4 to 5k of water? Assuming you are running all reversibles.

1 beer and 3 songs... if I drink slow.

mattsask
02-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Centurion is leading the pack in terms in surf performance right now. Their smallest boat is the RI 217. It's dry weight is 5300 lbs and it can be optioned to leave the factory with 4950 lbs of ballast. That's 1000 lbs heavier and 1500 lbs more ballast than a 22 foot moomba. We are not even in the same ball park as the king of surf boats... Even putting enzo bags in the rear, we are a whole 1000 lbs lighter. I'm only pointing this out because it seems as though a large number of members here see such a large number and think it's crazy. In reality, smorris7 is exactly correct. It's all about displacement. Once you see your boats potential you won't ever want to go back.

sivs1
02-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Centurion is leading the pack in terms in surf performance right now. Their smallest boat is the RI 217. It's dry weight is 5300 lbs and it can be optioned to leave the factory with 4950 lbs of ballast. That's 1000 lbs heavier and 1500 lbs more ballast than a 22 foot moomba. We are not even in the same ball park as the king of surf boats... Even putting enzo bags in the rear, we are a whole 1000 lbs lighter. I'm only pointing this out because it seems as though a large number of members here see such a large number and think it's crazy. In reality, smorris7 is exactly correct. It's all about displacement. Once you see your boats potential you won't ever want to go back.

but how versatile is the Centurion? Thing I like about my SA is I can pretty much do any and all water sports with it. Seems like boats are becoming Surf specific that that's all they can do. We primarily Surf, so I like that concept, but what if I want to break out the ski, I can with my SA while I think if I had the Centurion I could not. Just my two cents, not worth the missing 98, so....

DatTexasBoy
02-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Centurion sucks on anything other than surfing. Including resale.

mattsask
02-21-2017, 04:15 PM
but how versatile is the Centurion? Thing I like about my SA is I can pretty much do any and all water sports with it. Seems like boats are becoming Surf specific that that's all they can do. We primarily Surf, so I like that concept, but what if I want to break out the ski, I can with my SA while I think if I had the Centurion I could not. Just my two cents, not worth the missing 98, so....
Yes, but the topic of discussion is surf performance, not waterskiing. Fact of the matter is, none of these boats ski like a dd. Resale value also has nothing to do with the message I was trying to convey. I'm speaking strictly about the relationship between surf performance and displacement. There are a handful of members on this forum that are even in the same zip code as the top performing surf manufacturers, in terms of total displacement(boat +ballast). Yet we keep seeing the same threads popping up about guys totally disappointed with the surf performance of their new boat. I wasn't trying to tell you guys how to weight your boat, I was only pointing out that 4-5000 lbs of ballast is not excessive, it's being offered from the factory in competing 21.5' boats.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Ramzak
02-21-2017, 05:24 PM
I was only pointing out that 4-5000 lbs of ballast is not excessive, it's being offered from the factory in competing 21.5' boats.

Really good point. Im sold

wario
02-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Yes, but the topic of discussion is surf performance, not waterskiing. Fact of the matter is, none of these boats ski like a dd. Resale value also has nothing to do with the message I was trying to convey. I'm speaking strictly about the relationship between surf performance and displacement. There are a handful of members on this forum that are even in the same zip code as the top performing surf manufacturers, in terms of total displacement(boat +ballast). Yet we keep seeing the same threads popping up about guys totally disappointed with the surf performance of their new boat. I wasn't trying to tell you guys how to weight your boat, I was only pointing out that 4-5000 lbs of ballast is not excessive, it's being offered from the factory in competing 21.5' boats.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I do agree with you to a point, most people are unwilling to for whatever reason weight the boat correctly. Many think that their stock boat with a surf system will throw an epic wave and they'll be riding like the people we see in the promo videos, I fell victim to that as well. Once a friend walked me through weighting the boat properly it really came to life, in addition I really believe whats under your feet makes a big difference as well. Now having said all that Centurion is no different, if you think the big badboy surf boat will do what you see in the videos or pictures day one from the factory I would have to disagree. I "surfed" a newer centurion not long ago that was a dog, dude filled the factory and that was it, after moving all his friends and his big ass cooler to list the boat a little the wave did improve but it was far from anything that would make me want one.

mattsask
02-22-2017, 06:46 PM
That is more than likely true, I'm not saying any boats leave the factory push button surf machines. I'm just suggesting that the in the displacement department, centurion's are definitely better equipped to do the job. They all still need to be set up properly, whether it be surf tabs, trim plate, cats fin, speed calibration, crew placement, and the list goes on..... It wasn't too many years ago that every pound of weight in the boat had to be distributed just right or the surf wave was junk.

Mc_Mojo
03-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Everyone makes a good point. Specifically though, as in my case, i have the 2016 Mojo, surf edition. yes, it was my belief that it would surf great right from the get go, with the 2500 included ballast. it did not. Plus, when we go out mostly it is my two young girls, wife, and myself, not a whole "crew". we were very disappointed that the surf wave was not able to be ridden while letting go of the rope. that being said, i will be replacing the rear 650's with 1280's from Wakemakers, ordering their "blem" bags for $149 a piece, plus some fittings. (bags have full warranty)

https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag-1280-blem.html

BrettLee3232
03-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Everyone makes a good point. Specifically though, as in my case, i have the 2016 Mojo, surf edition. yes, it was my belief that it would surf great right from the get go, with the 2500 included ballast. it did not. Plus, when we go out mostly it is my two young girls, wife, and myself, not a whole "crew". we were very disappointed that the surf wave was not able to be ridden while letting go of the rope. that being said, i will be replacing the rear 650's with 1280's from Wakemakers, ordering their "blem" bags for $149 a piece, plus some fittings. (bags have full warranty)

https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag-1280-blem.html

I would highly suggest getting a tube sack under your port seat as well. Tee off the full line. Vent the tube sack into the 1280 then also throw some check valves on both rear vent lines [emoji1303]

Yobrandon
03-20-2017, 04:41 AM
1 beer and 3 songs... if I drink slow.

Pshhhh.... 4 beers/ 3 songs more like it. Start the day off right!!!!!!

15 Mojo Surf, 1100 rears, 11 Ram 3500 Deleted