PDA

View Full Version : Need to disconnect lights when backing trailer into water?

rickmcd59
07-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I have a 2001 Moomba Kamberra with the standard Boatmate trailer. When backing trailer into water should I disconnect the trailer lights? I understand the light fittings are supposed to be watertight. Is this "disconnect" actually necessary or can I just leave the trailer lights connected when backing the trailer into the water?

smokedog2
07-30-2006, 10:13 PM
You SHOULD. I never do. The cold water on/near the hot bulb will burn them out quicker - I replace them. Cheaper than replacing a plug you forgot to reconnect that has been drug 40 miles.

My $.02, worth what you paid for it.

SD2

zabooda
07-31-2006, 01:16 AM
I never disconnected on any boat I ever owned. I figured if the bulbs start burning out I may be on to something but they never have. Good case for the Mythbusters.

JoeTechie
07-31-2006, 01:22 AM
I read that in the manual, and though I've owned boats for a years and never done it.. I followed the directions and removed the plug... thus removing my ability to backup since I have a very light grade on my ramp, causing the trailer brakes to kick in!

:(

Never again, and when I have to change bulbs, I'll enjoy the fact I am making the cheapest replacement on the boat possible.

-Joe

EUSTACE
07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
I always disconnect the harness and throw the lock-out in the trailer tongue.

Nothing worse IMO then being an hour from home and having electrical problems.

My .02, E

carsondoc
07-31-2006, 05:54 PM
I tried backing up with the harness unplugged (like the manual says) the first time I put my boat in the water. Trailer brakes kicked on when I backed up and I pretty much had to skid the boat to the ramp before the brakes disengaged. Never again. I'll pay the $2 for a lightbulb.