PDA

View Full Version : Launching Mojo with a Honda Pilot

loc82
02-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are about launching with a Honda Pilot. I'm a first time boat owner and I don't have a vehicle that I feel comfortable towing my boat with yet. I do plan on getting a Tundra later this year but for now I'm stuck with a Honda Pilot. I don't plan to tow the boat anywhere. I'm going to keep it at a marina that offers both in and out service and outdoor storage with launch use. I planned on doing the in and out service at first but the self service launching is $1,000 cheaper. My Pilot is rated to tow 3,500 lbs. Do you guys think I could get away with launching the boat without a.) ending up in the river with my car b.) destroying the transmission? Thanks

wolfeman131
02-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Unless you want to see if your Pilot will float, I wouldn't even consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivs1
02-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Wonder if Insurance would cover that? Doubt it, the Mojo alone weighs more than 3,500 not even counting the trailer.

moombadaze
02-14-2017, 10:30 AM
that is something I would do if it was the only option--launch and load only, no travel on roads. I hear mojos are very nose heavy, may no want to run it all the way to the bow stop. Pilot has no real "frame", those hitch's are just bolted thru the sheet metal with backing plates

loc82
02-14-2017, 10:38 AM
I figured that much. I know guys load up their boats with extra ballast over the weight limit and safely operate them. I was hoping someone did it with their vehicle as well so I can save a G

gregski
02-14-2017, 12:44 PM
You're talking about a short term issue. If it were me, I wouldn't have a problem using it just to launch it a few times. I wouldn't really consider it "towing" in that sense.

wolfeman131
02-14-2017, 12:58 PM
sorry, but I think you're getting some bad advice above . . .

2017 Mojo & trailer weighs in at 5,600 lbs
2017 Mojo has a 49 gal gas tank, so when full, you add about 300lbs

So, total weight is 5,900 lbs. You stated your Pilot is rated for 3,500 lbs. I wouldn't risk that on a wet boat ramp. You may end up spending a lot more than that G you're hoping to save.

BTW - I took a closer look at your avatar. THANKS for your service!

996scott
02-14-2017, 01:06 PM
My thought is if you are only going to drive the boat down the ramp to launch and pull it back out and are not doing any "towing" on the streets you should be fine. I would definitely keep all the people out of the boat and just load and unload the boat at the dock for the sake of have as little weight in the boat as possible. just my .02 cents

KG's Supra24
02-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Borrow a friends truck? In exchange for a boat ride?

sandm
02-14-2017, 02:53 PM

that made me laugh...
not a chance I would try it but I'm the guy that would not use a ridgeline to tow with either and there are those that do...

mikenehrkorn
02-14-2017, 03:49 PM
Not sure I would try it either.....every ramp I have ever used is typically wet, so not much traction with a vehicle not really equipped on a sloped ramp sounds like a recipe for disaster. You might be OK getting it in, but more likely to have issues towing it out.

gregski
02-14-2017, 04:13 PM
A vehicle's tow rating has nothing to do with tire traction.

sivs1
02-14-2017, 04:26 PM
A vehicle's tow rating has nothing to do with tire traction.

True, however, let's say the Pilot weighs 4,300 lbs. As stated above the Mojo weighs in at 5,900 lbs.

Add in the angle of the ramp and the Pilot is likely to struggle.

I just sold our 2012 Pilot and would never think of towing with it or launching with it.

JASONZ
02-14-2017, 04:55 PM
It will work. In my neighborhood the ramp is steep and there are a few mid-size SUVs launching bigger boats.
During launch the SUVs that tow will sometimes skid down with brakes locked up a little bit as the boat is dragging them.
Once the water gets under the boat it starts to float and will take the weight off the SUV.
This is a little nerve racking, and part of the reason I bought a 2500, but my buddies do this all the time.
With that being said you are really pushing it with a boat as big as a Mojo and a pilot.

WakeNerd
02-14-2017, 05:16 PM
Don't do it! Honestly $1k for not having to hook up and tow and deal with the extra time that adds to your day out is worth it. You'll find yourself on the boat a lot more too!

jtatexc
02-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Tow rating isn't only rated by horsepower and braking. There is this new thing they started putting in cars years back called transmissions. A boat that is playing with twice the rating once loaded up, why would you risk it? I have seen transmissions give a couple times at ramps that had appropriate tow ratings. My opinion, borrow a neighbors truck for the few times to get the job done. Insurance will not cover it because tow ratings exist for a reason and it is user error. Don't do it, unless you want to risk blowing out a gear as you drop in or pull out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sandm
02-14-2017, 05:45 PM
I changed my mind. I say do it all day long.
I need something new to watch on the best fails of the year youtube channel... :)

jtatexc
02-14-2017, 09:04 PM
I need something new to watch on the best fails of the year youtube channel... :)
Ahhhhhahahahaha[emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
02-14-2017, 09:45 PM
I agree. Make sure your wife is filming and bring an extra pair of underwear as you skid down the ramp waiting for the water to stop the boat momentum. Ha ha.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
02-14-2017, 10:31 PM
If you have AWD I would think you would be fine.

lsupcar
02-14-2017, 11:17 PM
I've used a FWD 2010 Pilot to move my Mojo around my drive way and in and out of the garage due to its short wheelbase improving maneuverability. I have not taken it over about 5 mph or up or down any inclines.
Is your pilot 4wd? If so I think you'd have a better chance of getting back up a ramp and the towing capacity is higher then the 2wd model, but would still be over capacity with a Mojo.
I'm not sure about the tranny, but it would be more of a traction situation on the ramp. Just try creeping around with the boat in tow for a little while getting a feel for the load. If it feels like too much, then stop. If not try backing down and back up the ramp a little bit at a time, very slowly.
If your try it, keep your window open so you can escape if you get pulled into the water.

BrettLee3232
02-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Why don't you just buy a Tundra now? Do not launch with a pilot. That's like launching seadoos with an electric golf cart. Might work but you will look like a friggin idiot when it doesn't.

[emoji441] Drop......

crr1876
02-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Just watch some of those boat launch fail videos on youtube, then make your decision. Watching those videos makes me nervous launching with a 2wd (with limited slip) 1500 silverado.

mmandley
02-15-2017, 08:51 AM
I get you wanting to save a 1K.

Getting the boat into the water will be easy, like they have said, you might slide down the ramp but the boat will end up in the water.

On the other hand I personally wouldn't risk it, what happens when it gets side ways and hits the guy next to you, or you jack knife, or the stress of the boat being 2x your rated towing and hitch capacity you damage you truck and trailer.

Goto U Haul rent the truck and drop the boat in.

IDK how easy you get the boat in the water, getting out is a whole other issue. Pulling the boat out is a lot harder on the tow vehicle then putting it in.

Either pay the extra coin to store the boat so you don't have to launch it, get a bigger tow vehicle, or find a friend with a truck you can borrow.

Be safe the first time, don't be that jack-tard at the ramp with more money then brains.

rdlangston13
02-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Why don't you just buy a Tundra now? Do not launch with a pilot. That's like launching seadoos with an electric golf cart. Might work but you will look like a friggin idiot when it doesn't.

[emoji441] Drop......

How about not get a tundra and get a real truck hahaha

patrick232
02-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Here is another thought:
Do the offer call ahead and have the boat sitting at the dock when you arrive, if so time saved = $
When you leave do you drop it at the dock and they wipe it down for storage, if so time saved = $
Will you drive a more fuel efficient car to the marina, is so $ saved

The $1,000 might seem like a steal once you think about the above.

We used to keep our boat at a storage unit at Norris Lake, it was $30 to drop in and $30 to pull out, they did wipe down both when launching and retrieving. Walking out of the car and on the boat ready to go was well worth the $30, not to mention peace of mind.

Pipeliner07
02-15-2017, 06:48 PM
No .... no...no not a good idea

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
02-15-2017, 09:13 PM
We used to keep our boat at a storage unit at Norris Lake, it was $30 to drop in and $30 to pull out, they did wipe down both when launching and retrieving. Walking out of the car and on the boat ready to go was well worth the $30, not to mention peace of mind.

I had this service with my I/O when I lived in Cleveland, OH. It was really nice to be able to call, have it dropped in, and ready to go.

When you are done, they just put it away. I used my boat so much I knew the all the fork-lift drivers. They let me cut the wait list/lines on busy weekends. Cool dudes. I bought them 6-packs.

RC_Hinojosa
02-16-2017, 09:10 AM
How about not get a tundra and get a real truck hahaha

LMFAO! Amen to that...(Ford Super Duty tow rig)

rdlangston13
02-16-2017, 11:17 AM
LMFAO! Amen to that...(Ford Super Duty tow rig)

Now I'm not saying all that is necessary! Lol

wolfeman131
02-16-2017, 11:34 AM

Let's get rid of that front plate! PM me your address. I think I have a Moomba plate in my garage.

loc82
03-05-2017, 07:29 AM
BTW - I took a closer look at your avatar. THANKS for your service!

I appreciate the shout out. Thanks!

loc82
03-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Don't do it! Honestly $1k for not having to hook up and tow and deal with the extra time that adds to your day out is worth it. You'll find yourself on the boat a lot more too!

I ended up doing the in/out service. We'll see how it goes this season.

loc82
03-05-2017, 07:38 AM

[emoji441] Drop......

it wouldn't be the first time I looked like an asshole at the ramp! and that was with my seadoo

parrothd
03-05-2017, 09:42 PM
I ended up doing the in/out service. We'll see how it goes this season.

Thats almost as good as getting a slip.. You'll save a lot of time if they take care of everything..��

jmvotto
03-06-2017, 11:09 AM

x2 lol .....

yes thanks for your service, my nephew is airborne out of anchorage.

loc82
03-06-2017, 03:50 PM
x2 lol .....

yes thanks for your service, my nephew is airborne out of anchorage.
Right on!! I bet it's cold as hell up there. I couldn't hang