PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a 2008 XLV and there is a water line in the carpet

CraigXLV
02-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Hey all, I am new to the forum and wanted to share something and ask for some recommendations from the community. I just purchased a 2008 XLV with 87 hours on it. Once I got the boat home I started tearing everything out of it so I could do a deep clean on everything. Once I got all the cushions out I noticed a waterline that would have roughly made 4 inches of water while standing in the boat. Once I noticed this I started checking fluid again and noticed the tranny fluid looked like pepto bismol. The V-drive fluid was mustard yellow as well.

I have decided that I will definitely be changing the oil, tranny fluid and v-drive fluid. I am also going to pull the fuel filter and maybe go ahead and just change the fuel pump as well. Should I somehow try and drain the fuel tank? Any ideas on this? Knowing the water was this high on the engine for God knows how long, what else should I look at replacing before I get the boat out on the water this summer.

I have also noticed that there are two ballast plumbing pipes on both sides of the transmission but not tied into anything. The boat has the entire gravity games 3 pump system for the ballast, but the boat did not have the bags in it when I bought it. Any idea on why these are just sitting around the tranny not connected?

Craig
2008 Moomba Mobius XLV Gravity Games

trayson
02-12-2017, 08:52 PM
So, I have a 2008 XLV like yourself. I doubt any water got in the fuel tank, as the only access would have been through the filler and vent lines that are way up at the top of the gunwales.

As far as the factory ballast system, honestly just skip trying to salvage anything. the factory system used 1 aerator pump with a sprinkler valve manifold and 3/4" hose. it was slow and realistically most people have to gut it and start over to have something better. Hit up Wakemakers (use the 10% off forum discount) and get the system that has the 1" hose, 3 reversible pumps. Get 1100 bags for the rear lockers and get the 1180 gravity games bag for the playpen locker.

4nryde
02-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Ive got a new 1180 bag for sale if you are interested. Much cheaper then any online retailer too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHutch
02-13-2017, 01:53 PM
I have the exact same boat as you. Can you post some pics of the water line you are talking about? Also if you post a pic of the ballast lines I can probably point you I the right direction.

87 hours seems really low!

gregski
02-13-2017, 01:53 PM
I doubt any water got in the fuel tank, as the only access would have been through the filler and vent lines that are way up at the top of the gunwales.
Agreed but I'd recommend getting the old fuel out assuming that it's regular gas station fuel with ethanol which gets pretty icky when it sits for long. At best, it will give you starting headaches, at worst it will foul up the fuel delivery system.

trayson
02-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Agreed but I'd recommend getting the old fuel out assuming that it's regular gas station fuel with ethanol which gets pretty icky when it sits for long. At best, it will give you starting headaches, at worst it will foul up the fuel delivery system.

good point. low hours and possible neglect = likely bad fuel. might as well avoid a headache. I get what you're staying.

moombadaze
02-13-2017, 05:47 PM
once looked at boat on a dealers lot after a week of wicked rains--boat was covered. we pulled the cover back and the water was at the seat bottoms--drain plug was in and no battery in the boat. that was as far as I got with looking at that one

CraigXLV
02-13-2017, 10:56 PM
2008 Thanks for all of the responses. I will try and drain the fuel. I guess a syphon hose will be the easiest path for that, but I am open to other ideas. Also, I am attaching the pic of the ballast pump housing and the ballast lines that are simply connected to nothing. My best guess is the original owner never even put bags in and got the system working, but that is simply a guess. It appears that only one line is connected to the pump and that line runs to the front/mid bag area by the driver's seat. I also noticed there is another pump of some sort in that area where the front bag would hook up. Trayson, I am not sure I have $2K to put in a new pump system like on Wakemakers. I need to try and limp in on this one if I can get it working. Sorry, but I am having no luck uploading the pic. I keep getting an error.

CraigXLV
02-13-2017, 11:26 PM
25260Here is the Pic.

mmandley
02-14-2017, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the forum Craig.

Congrats on the new boat.

Your pepto trans fluid and mustard V drive fluid concerned me.

Your going to need to drain those, fill, drain until it's the proper colors.

I'm worried you have water mixed in from freeze damage.

Get those fluid cleaned and get water hooked up or put the boat in the water and let it run for a bit to check the trans and V drive for water leaks.

VA LSV
02-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Your ballast system is missing 2 valves. They are sprinkler valves you can pick up at any big box home improvement store. I would focus on fluids as stated earlier.

JHutch
02-14-2017, 10:57 AM
As stated by VA LSV you are missing two of the Orbit Sprinkler valves that go on the ballast manifold. They are just like the one on the end and will connect via those quick connect hoses.

The pump you are mentioning up front is most likely the drain pump for the front bag. There should be two of those in the rear as well.

CraigXLV
02-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I assure you all my fist focus is on getting the tranny and v-drive drained and changed. That makes sense on the connectors for the additional two pump in lines. Here is an additional question on that though. If there is one pump on their and 3 valves always open, why do I have 3 switches? One for the front and two for the two rear bags. As I see it, if the pump comes one all 3 bags would fill. What am I missing here?

dusty2221
02-14-2017, 03:57 PM
The switches control the 3 valves, 2 of which you are missing, which are for the front(1) and rear (2).

VA LSV
02-14-2017, 04:11 PM
The fill pump runs when any of the 3 valves are switched on.

Stazi
02-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Craig, where are you located? Maybe a local meme we can come and show you some things and look the boat over. Way easier than trying to explain and diagnose things on a forum.

kaneboats
02-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Gravity III has a front bag a right and a left. When you turn on any fill switch the single fill pump (Rule 2000, 1200 GPH) turns on and the sprinkler valve for that switch opens. Each bag has its own empty pump (Rule 700 I think unless already replaced).

CraigXLV
02-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Hey Stazi, I am in Alabama. Sorry I have not completed my profile. Guess there is a need to do that. I think I get it now. I am just shocked at how the system is so half way configured on tow of the pumps, but one is complete. Not that the one zone would even work because if I tried to pump water in the competed zone now water would go everywhere with the other two zones completely open. Now I need to see if I can track down the wiring that would connect to the other two sprinkler valves that I will need to install. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Stazi
02-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Maybe the previous owner canabalized the system? Should have had at least one bag hooked up to it somewhere. Honestly, you can add the sprinkler valves for now, but after about 2-3 outings of trying to fill all those bags of one aerator pump, you'll be on wakemakers ordering the reversible pump upgrade kit. Trust me it's well worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kaneboats
02-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Find the wire going to the existing sprinkler valve. Trace it back to the loom. Look for two other wires coming from the same loom that have the same plugs on them. Hopefully the previous owner just unplugged the valves and did not cut wires. Should be gray or black plugs. Can't remember wire colors. One might be purple and one green? Anyone recall?

MJHSupra
02-20-2017, 07:33 PM
I have a 2007 supra that I upgraded.

This is what the sprinkler valve system looked like when I took it out and sold it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7327/8870564271_1621837a49_c.jpg

MJHSupra
02-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Also had the same pump. So long to that slow fill time. . . .

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5453/8871166340_8ab52ab9db_c.jpg

MJHSupra
02-20-2017, 07:43 PM
The little black switch opens/closes the valve. Make sure those are not broken.
They cost around $25 each for the whole valve.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5458/8870538067_273108908e_c.jpg

MJHSupra
02-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Also, to drain the bags, you need 3 other pumps to get the water out. These were from a Supra, but I think Moomba used the same.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8407/8870582117_2413f80d95_c.jpg

CraigXLV
02-20-2017, 11:02 PM
I have identified all 3 pump out pumps. Your picks of the valves is exactly what mine should look like. I still cannot figure out why mine only has the one valve with the other two ports completely open. I will soon look at getting the valves for mine. I will likely just try and get mine operational this year. I still have to buy bags as well.

CraigXLV
02-20-2017, 11:04 PM
MJKSupra, where can I find those valves with the plugs already on them?

Stazi
02-20-2017, 11:05 PM
You won't find them with the plugs on them. Those are put on by SC. The valves you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot.

JHutch
02-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Craig,

Not sure what your time frame is but I am thinking about going to the wakemakers kit. If so I will have my GIII stuff available. Will know in about 30 days.

CraigXLV
02-21-2017, 07:25 PM
Let me know JHutch. This will be the last item on my list of may things to do.

MJHSupra
02-21-2017, 08:35 PM
If you can buy from JHUtch, buy all the parts. Then you will spares. That is what someone did when they purchased mine. Any of those parts (used) are hard to find.

Otherwise, you can get the valve from Lowes/HomeDepot.

Or buy both parts from a dealer - valve and solenoid. Pay more.

gregski
02-22-2017, 08:15 PM
I might still have my old solenoids with factory connectors on them. But if I do, they are packed away and won't come out until April at the earliest.

CraigXLV
03-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Update on my earlier post- I got 17 gallons of very old fuel out of the tank. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the fuel pump. I changed the oil and tranny fluid as well. I also changed the impeller. It had the original one in it based off of the factory paint still on the screws and gasket. New batteries and put it in the water this weekend for a test run. It ran like a top. New ethanol free fuel and some Stabil Marine as well. Can't wait for the summer! Thanks to everyone for the advice on all my questions. Last thing. Check engine light is on but I'm not to concerned. Going to try and get it to a dealer to see what codes it is throwing.

Stazi
03-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Probably a U571 code.

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 08:08 AM
What is the detail around that code?

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Never mind I got it. Lol.

5:00
03-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Any idea how long it was sitting? Did it start when you were looking at buying it?
Glad to hear you got it running. Make sure to get it back out there and keep checking those fluids several times per trip even to make sure there isn't an internal leak issue. The possibility of that was stated earlier in this thread. You don't want to go run it for an hour and find you have water coming back into the system.

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 04:06 PM
I didn't crank it before buying simply because it was winterized and I was not sure if I could get it in my basement and temps were below freezing. The tranny fluid still has some pink in it so I am going to change it again. I might not have gotten it all out in the last change. Is the transmission connected to the cooling system where water could get in it from regular operation? I still need to change the v-drive oil as well. My pump would not suck it out and the drain plug method looks like it will be a bear.

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

03-06-2017, 04:18 PM
No it shouldn't get in there. It is a closed system as far as the trans and V-drive are concerned. I thought I saw a post once where it was possible but that doesn't mean it is. Change it again and really keep an eye on it for a good while. I am hoping that it isn't an issue but not sure why it would be that way in the first place? You mentioned a waterline in the carpet so there was standing water it sounds like. Depending on how high that could be it. It may have just gotten in that way. If it wasn't run like that you may be ok as long as it didn't do anything to bearings and so on. I would guess that boat has been sitting a good while if you had bad gas, change batteries and so on but that doesn't mean it is bad. It sounds like you are on the right track. A lot of possible scenarios. You are a brave soul to buy a boat that way but everything can be fixed. I bought my second Wave Runner where half of the drive train was in the guys pickup bed. The dealer took it apart and was going to charge to put it back together. I took a chance and it worked out in the end.
Someone was offering a front ballast bag, pick it up, you will need it in the future. Pick up the 1100's in the rear and enjoy until you can get the rest. Just make sure everything else is good first. You have a great boat there.

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 04:35 PM
This is my first inboard and I am thrilled at the experience from my test run this weekend. And BTW I got a great deal on the boat and couldn't turn it down with so few hours. I just got the front locker bag from someone on this thread. I'll gladly take some 1100's off of anyone that has them. I'm about to get them from Wakemakers none the less.

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

Apalie
03-06-2017, 04:36 PM
If you are will to wait for the ballast equipment WakeMAKERS Black Friday sale is great. You can try to limp along this season and the upgrade in the fall.

Stazi
03-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Someone was selling 1100's the other day. Search the classifieds.

03-06-2017, 04:52 PM
It is tough to pass up a good deal. Those are extremely low hours. I think I put that many on in about two months in a good summer.
Good to hear you jumped on the bag. Grab the others if you are able. Ask for the Wake Makers code on the forum and that will help. Call them and they will tell you exactly what you need fittings and all for your current system. It isn't worth it to get small bags now and upgrade because you will have to without question so just it now. Even get one if you have to on the side you need. Be sure to disable any solenoids with open tubes. You will need to make or buy a Suck Gate also. Brain_rinse is selling them at a killer price right now.

JHutch
03-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Also feel free to post pictures of this XLV! We love pictures!

Stazi
03-06-2017, 05:47 PM
For an XLV, 1100 or more are required for a good surf wake. That's a big hull that you are trying to displace, so you need a lot of weight to get the most out of it.

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Apalie, I got to buy now because the boat didn't have any bags when I got it. I'm for sure going 1100's. and will likely move on the suckgate too. I know Stazi isn't going to like this but I'm going to get my GIII pump system fixed to limp in this year and look into the 3 pump reversible upgrade next year. May dive in then on the Black Friday sale.

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 09:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/adaa8888acb32fe56a2f2df5e87bee31.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/a7b8d8a49ed95cbbba3162b3cf1270d5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/ae3aa93a1f0a263ef7170569e9715f29.jpg

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 09:34 PM
I have the Roswell 4 can speaker mount and the board racks off polishing them. So far it has cleaned up nice. Still looking for a Bimini top. Great Lakes wants almost $700 for the collapsible top. Not sure what I am going to do.

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

Stazi
03-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Get the Monster Cargo Bimini. It's way better than the stock Bimini because you can store 3 surfboards on it. I had one on my LS. One of the best mods I did. As for the pumps, if money is an issue, then I understand, but after a few trips out, filling and emptying those bags you're going to remember this post and say "yep, they weren't kidding, this shit is taking foreeeevvveeerr!"

Apalie
03-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Hey I understand man. I got an 05 XLV and it is hard to let a whole season go. I have 1100s in the back and just picked up a 1180 for the center end of last year. It takes a lot to weight that sucker down. I didn't have any ballast when I bought so I have been buying the wakeMAKERS packages. Slowly but surely turning it into a water plow. Have to do the seeding cable this spring. Not looking forward to that. Love this thread - I need all these upgrade ideas.

CraigXLV
03-06-2017, 10:24 PM
My only reservation on getting the cargo top is having to break my tower down to get the boat in dry storage and my basement. Did you run into this issue Stazi?

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

Stazi
03-07-2017, 08:42 AM
It's not an issue. You can take off the cargo Bimini in 2 minutes. It mounts with 4 pivoting quick disconnects. I would remove mine for winter all the time. Plus you can adjust its tilt whenever you want really easily too. It's a great design. Here are the pics from my old LS. It had the medium size, which would also fit the XLV
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/0e5339f772dd4543aef65119a5f65f1c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/9e97cae336b0fcf565a7c7069f89a7f5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/009085d812901e49f33720018f656b5b.jpg

03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Damn that looks to be in really good cosmetic shape. Mine is one year older than yours and I am now redoing the vinyl from bow to stern. I am having to redo the graphics on the outside. Someone stole the Moomba "B" from both sides :mad:
Mine is an '07 but the original owner thankfully stuck the '08 graphics on it. It looks exactly the same as yours minus the black bottom and different gauges. You are going to love it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/ae3aa93a1f0a263ef7170569e9715f29.jpg

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

Stazi
03-07-2017, 10:35 AM
WTF...they stole both B's? That's bizarre.

beat taco
03-07-2017, 11:18 AM
You ran it without changing the v-drive fluid?
You will have to change it several times, after each use, to get all the water out. Mine had a drain plug on the front at the bottom. I stole a cooking pan from the wife that slid under the v drive perfectly to catch the fluid. They can take in water from exactly what happened to your boat.
I caught it before my test drive and changed the fluid in the guys driveway before I even bought it. I was advised not to buy it because of the fluid. As I kept changing it after each use it kept clearing up and eventually went back to normal and never mixed with water again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JHutch
03-07-2017, 05:09 PM
I have the exact same boat. They are great boats. The only thing I hate is they do not have a drain plug in the center of the boat which means I always have to shop vac water out of the basement locker.

03-09-2017, 11:09 AM
WTF...they stole both B's? That's bizarre.

Someone had a thing for the B's I guess. I am just stripping the whole thing down at this point. I got new registration stickers for it so it is good timing. Strip it, buff and shine it up and reapply.

trayson
03-09-2017, 12:05 PM
I have the Roswell 4 can speaker mount and the board racks off polishing them. So far it has cleaned up nice. Still looking for a Bimini top. Great Lakes wants almost $700 for the collapsible top. Not sure what I am going to do.

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games

Get the Monster Cargo Bimini. It's way better than the stock Bimini because you can store 3 surfboards on it. I had one on my LS. One of the best mods I did. As for the pumps, if money is an issue, then I understand, but after a few trips out, filling and emptying those bags you're going to remember this post and say "yep, they weren't kidding, this shit is taking foreeeevvveeerr!"

Another vote for the Monster Cargo Bimini. I love mine. In fact, I modified the rope that holds the fabric on to disconnect easier so I can add/remove the fabric and just leave the frame. Then I added some bungees on the padded frame crossbars so I can carry boards without the fabric on. Here in the PNW, we want every bit of sunshine we can get, so I rarely have the fabric of my bimini on, but I wouldn't trade the board storage for anything.