PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tie downs

clark
02-08-2017, 09:20 AM
I think I asked this but can not find it.... what transom tie downs do you current boat owners use and does anyone know what is used if you order them on the trailer. I have a boat on order and preciously had a Moomba but seeing what is used now

mikenehrkorn
02-08-2017, 09:34 AM
I use these....nice and convenient

http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Tie-Downs/BoatBuckle/IMF08893.html

dusty2221
02-08-2017, 10:08 AM
/thread

;)

bluice311
02-08-2017, 10:15 AM
When I ordered my 2015, I added the retractable tie-downs option and it came with Star brite retractable tie-downs from the factory. On my previous boat and Sea-Doo trailers I have installed the Boatbuckle retractable tie-downs myself. After using both brands I much prefer how the Boatbuckles operate. Maybe someone with a newer boat can chime in to see if they still install Star brite from the factory.

Dan
02-08-2017, 12:21 PM
I seen some of those quick tie downs at Gander Mountain over this past weekend. I do not remember what they cost but will check it out again when I go back.

trayson
02-08-2017, 12:24 PM
I bought the erikson straps and after about a year, they stop retracting. I've had 2 sets quit their spring-loaded retract. That reminds me to contact the manufacturer again to get my 2nd set replaced...

they were half the price of the boatmates, but they're certainly not lasting...

https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/E/M/EM34423_3_500.jpg

PuraVida
02-08-2017, 12:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/dd3d633235598e385960343dbe3ef981.jpg

I ordered factory transom straps on my 16' but am unsure what the brand is. I would like to note that they are not meant to be hooked up to the eyelets on the transom of the boat. Hook them to the eyelets under the swim platform. My dealership had them hooked up incorrectly when I originally picked up my boat and the surf tabs wore through the nylon. The straps where replaced under warranty but it is an easy mistake to avoid. The picture illustrates how to hook them up wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crane man
02-08-2017, 04:23 PM
I picked up mine at bass pro for half the price of dealer. 2" wide strap retractables for $50. Same what comes from dealer or boatmate but has bass pro sticker that was easy to remove.

clark
02-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Is there a good place to put the retractable straps with the newer boats since they not only have the wake plate but the surf plates? Or are you needing to drill new holes?

KG's Supra24
02-09-2017, 10:01 AM
The platform has hooks built into it that the straps connect to.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/486f718a4232a97708111b92488929df.jpg

kaneboats
02-09-2017, 11:01 AM
I trailer and launch every time out so efficiency at the ramp is very important to me. I liked them (Boat Buckle retractable) so much I also got the retractable bow tie-down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BOATBUCKLE-G2-RETRACTABLE-BOW-TIE-DOWN-2500-LBS-14-quot-43-quot-F14220/42683706

That Guy
02-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm not a fan of going to the platform because of the angle and likely stress on it. Isn't it only rated for like 300lbs? lol and we're strapping down a 5000lb boat on it. Plus I know on my older boats, without every strapping to the platform I've had stress cracks in the gel around the platform brackets.

My thoughts...but it's not like Moomba gave us any other option.

zabooda
02-09-2017, 12:59 PM
I'm not a fan of going to the platform because of the angle and likely stress on it. Isn't it only rated for like 300lbs? lol and we're strapping down a 5000lb boat on it. Plus I know on my older boats, without every strapping to the platform I've had stress cracks in the gel around the platform brackets.

My thoughts...but it's not like Moomba gave us any other option.

Hooking to the platform may meet state requirements but the platform won't hold the boat down. I would want the weakest point to be the strap rather than the platform so I wouldn't recommend getting anything fancy for tie downs in that case and not cinch them down very tight. I seldom use tie downs except for road trips and that is to make it look like I have "secured the load." Fluorescent green jet ski tie downs does the trick but I don't have the hardware down below so they are connected to the transom.

KG's Supra24
02-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Good points. I do make it a point not to make mine tight.

Ed_Geary
02-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Retractable in the rear and boat buddy up front

clark
02-09-2017, 02:55 PM
That seems like it would add a lot of pressure on the platform and the brackets that attach to the boat but not necessarily hold the boat secure.

Crane man
02-09-2017, 10:06 PM
I have had my straps over the surf tabs to the transom eyes for 2 seasons and trailer my boat everyplace. I know there is risk of stress on tabs and wear to the straps but the weight of the boat on the trailer and good towing habits eliminate 90% of potential stress. I do not like the idea of using swim platform brackets for tie down. The transom eyes are engineered to handle the stress. Wish I could figure out how to put up good pic but still have not learned how.

gregski
02-10-2017, 02:36 PM
The platform itself might only be rated to 300# (wood, fiberglass, etc) but the bracket connection to the transom is pretty stout, I'd even say that it is better than the lifting eyelets. Remember too that you shouldn't be cranking these tie downs super tight, just snug them up.

trayson
02-10-2017, 03:58 PM
I bought the erikson straps and after about a year, they stop retracting. I've had 2 sets quit their spring-loaded retract. That reminds me to contact the manufacturer again to get my 2nd set replaced...

they were half the price of the boatmates, but they're certainly not lasting...

https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/E/M/EM34423_3_500.jpg

Well, I just got notification that Erickson is shipping me a replacement set of ratcheting tie downs. I am not thrilled with their reliability, but at least they have good customer service and stand behind their product.

moombadaze
02-13-2017, 05:49 PM
fyi, bass pro shops brand is just a restickered boat buckle

corvette8189
02-13-2017, 08:58 PM
No straps on my 17 mojo
dealer said they are not needed

wolfeman131
02-13-2017, 10:45 PM
I'd ask your dealer if they would sign a waiver stating that they will cover any and all judgements against you should you get in an accident while towing the boat and are cited for failure to secure your load.

Your dealer isn't very smart, IMO.

smorris7
02-21-2017, 12:22 PM
No straps on my 17 mojo
dealer said they are not needed

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170221/f7bf8d1dd070ba4e208c2db04b2047ec.jpg

This is why you need straps!

zabooda
02-21-2017, 01:16 PM
If you're strapping down off the deck, you would still have the same scenario as in the picture minus the deck since the deck is a weak link. In fact, I bet a ratching strap could stress crack the deck if cinched down beyond 1,000 pounds on each side and absorbing the vibrations from running down the road. Only logical place is the transom.

BT_48170
02-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Club Royale in Waterford, MI told me straps are not needed when I picked up my boat last year, nor a safety strap up front. Winch it and your good to go! Amazing... I opted to be a responsible boat owner and spend $50 for some straps.

Darter
02-21-2017, 02:12 PM
I opted to be a responsible boat owner and spend $50 for some straps.

Your fellow freeway drivers thank you. 8)

corvette8189
02-21-2017, 02:34 PM
More to that story then just straps I bet. I agree it sure wont hurt having straps but I believe the trailer would pretty much have to flip for the boat to go anywhere.

corvette8189
02-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Reply I got back from Moomba
For the question on the trailer straps, you will probably find differing opinions on this. Different customers use their boats and trailer their boats in various ways so it might makes sense for some and not for others. The custom Boatmate Trailer for your Moomba is made to be a perfect fit for your boat so it should hold it nice. Also, due to the weight of the boat, the boat tends to settle on the trailer and not move very much at all. However, it never hurts to attach extra straps to the rear of the boat for safety reasons. I personally use the trailer straps every time I trailer a boat, no matter how far the distance. I would also recommend looking into your state laws for this as I know some states require the straps to be attached.

So in short, yes, I would recommend using the straps but no, it is probably not required (unless a state law). Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Then asked where to mount them.

The straps would run from the trailer to the D-rings located on the bottom side of the swim platform brackets. If the boat is loaded correctly and the straps are attached correctly there is very little stress in normal operation. The only significant stress that would apply is in an event in which you would need and rely on those safety straps. The swim platform mounts are attached into one of the most structurally sound parts of the boat and is highly reinforced. We have used these straps and connection points on our product for 4-5 years now without issue.

gregski
02-22-2017, 08:20 PM
If you're strapping down off the deck, you would still have the same scenario as in the picture minus the deck since the deck is a weak link. In fact, I bet a ratching strap could stress crack the deck if cinched down beyond 1,000 pounds on each side and absorbing the vibrations from running down the road. Only logical place is the transom.
You should not be cranking these straps that tight. Just take the slack out and no more.

My cousin's boat slid off the trailer when he had to slam on the brakes. The front stop of the trailer failed and he was able to settle with a warranty claim. He did not have transom straps and it nearly cost him the warranty claim but fortunately it fell on the dealer who gave bad advise like above.

Think of it exactly like a seat belt. Under normal circumstances, you absolutely don't need it. But the one time you need it, you'll wish you had.

zabooda
02-22-2017, 09:04 PM
gregski you are correct. I didn't elaborate any more as the message from Moomba gives the green light that everything is satisfactory with the platform bracket setup. They must have improved the mounting as my '98 platform would not be capable of securing the boat in a high G lateral or longitudinal movement. But then something more serious is happening with the vehicle where the boat is the least of concerns.

The straps would run from the trailer to the D-rings located on the bottom side of the swim platform brackets. If the boat is loaded correctly and the straps are attached correctly there is very little stress in normal operation. The only significant stress that would apply is in an event in which you would need and rely on those safety straps. The swim platform mounts are attached into one of the most structurally sound parts of the boat and is highly reinforced. We have used these straps and connection points on our product for 4-5 years now without issue.

BrettLee3232
02-23-2017, 04:17 AM
We have used these straps and connection points on our product for 4-5 years now without issue.

I have a 15 Mondo & do not have the hooks under my swim step 🤷🏼*♂️[emoji848]

clark
02-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Since the tie downs Moomba sells as an option are the retractable ones does the trailer already have the hole drilled if I add them later??

wolfeman131
02-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Yes, there are tabs on trailer that have holes pre-drilled for mounting the tie downs or anchoring non-retractable ones.

clark
02-27-2017, 10:52 AM
So the tabs are suitable for mounting the retractable tie downs?? Any pictures??