PDA

View Full Version : Let's play a game called name that thingy...

Davpmars
02-05-2017, 09:50 PM
I am officially The owner of a "new" 2013 Moomba LSV. I am a technically and mechanically savvy guy and I want to make sure I understand my boat.

My boat!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/4885487606fc37dac182dc5915ede246.jpg

1) Is this what they call the quick drain plug? If I take this cap off and run this hose down through the plug at the back of the boat, my old oil will automatically start draining out?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/8f5858d06bbc5bb07bc2e4c4472b43d4.jpg

2) What is this dipstick with the green mark on it?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/62a41496b18eba8727dd241fd5d37597.jpg

3) In the owners manual it is suggested that you should change the impeller every other year. Is this an impeller? For some reason I had imagined something very different.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/4f679fb5169e9aa53753cc7da39cc43c.jpg

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
02-05-2017, 10:36 PM
the thingy with hose and metal loop on the end is the oil drain hose. Stick it through the bilge drain hole and wait six weeks for the oil to drain ;)

Yes thats an impeller

MJHSupra
02-06-2017, 01:51 AM
Lots of threads on here and the Supra site on changing oil.
What to use and how to get oil out of that cap.

Red cap with green dot - transmission
Black cap with green dot - vdrive

All of the fluids and capacities should be listed in the manual w/schedule of when to change them. Or download form the Moomba site.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

lee
02-06-2017, 09:27 AM
The impeller in the picture is for the ballast pumps not the engine.

If you run the engine long enough to warm up the oil, the oil will drain out of the hose. You will need to feel the oil filter and not go by the temp gauge.

kaneboats
02-06-2017, 01:36 PM
That shiny green thing on the trailer is a wakeboat, i believe. :o

I think your impeller is the Johnson 812b. Looks like this:

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276

Davpmars
02-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Thanks so far guys.

I think that one of you said that the picture of the impeller is for the ballast bags and another said that the impeller is for the engine cooling system. Can anyone confirm this?

Here is another photo. I believe these are the ballast fill valves however the tubes seem to go to the bottom side of the ballast bags which would tell me that they are actually the ballast drain valves. Can someone tell me which one it is?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/b9011cb0568b2f55265606ce747b264b.jpg

Lastly I believe this is where my engine cooling water impeller is located. I believe all I would do is simply remove the On this device and replace the impeller. Is that correct?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/e5756b7e98032713ce2722d1dd4e4d85.jpg

kaneboats
02-06-2017, 01:51 PM
They go to the bottom because you have reversible pumps. They both fill and drain through those valves. The impeller in your initial picture is for your ballast pump. The one in the link (Johnson) is for your raw water pump on the engine.

Should be 4 small brasss screws to remove the cover and replace the impeller. You can see them in your last pic. If the old one looks good, throw it in a sandwich bag and hang on to it. It may save your day one day down the road.

patrick232
02-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Congrats on the new boat. If it didn't come with an owner manual you can download thru this site.

DFTR Josh
02-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Congrats on the new boat! Looking at the plate the boat came from AZ and now in UT?

996scott
02-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Great looking boat, with all that snow and cold temps I'm hoping it is winterized? Correct???? Where in Utah are you?

trayson
02-07-2017, 05:12 PM
When it's time to pull your cooling impeller and change it, i HIGHLY recommend that you get an impeller puller. I've done it without and I mangled the old one with vice grips. It took a long time and I had to add some silicone to get it to budge.

With the impeller puller, it just cranks it out and is SO much easier. Yeah, it's an expensive tool, but it's worth my sanity to have something that makes it 10x easier.
I don't regret spending the $47 on the puller.
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-660040-1-Impeller-Puller/dp/B002FVKBSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486501565&sr=8-1&keywords=impeller+puller

Also, when it's time to put the new impeller back in, you can take a zip tie and use it to "pre bend" the fins so that it slides into the hole easier. Just a trick that a forum member taught me that I liked. As you work the new impeller in, the zip tie gets pressed off the outside of the impeller and comes off.

Yes, you have reversible pumps. somewhere between the inlet thru hull valve (you pictured) and the place where they connect to the ballast bag, there is a reversible pump inline. your bags fill and drain from the same hole in the bottom. That's why you have timers for fill and empty. or you can listen for a change in tone in the sound of the pump motor that will tell you when it's not really pumping water anymore. That said, it is possible to add more hose, some check valves and some holes in the side of your boat to have "above water line draining". Wakemakers has a design layout on their website. It's certainly NOT necessary, but I only have 1 reversible pump on my boat and I like to "see and hear" the water draining from the side of my boat above water line. Just a preference thing.

Davpmars
02-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Congrats on the new boat! Looking at the plate the boat came from AZ and now in UT?

Yep. We feel we found a good deal so we made the drive to Mesa.

Davpmars
02-12-2017, 07:53 PM
When it's time to pull your cooling impeller and change it, i HIGHLY recommend that you get an impeller puller. I've done it without and I mangled the old one with vice grips. It took a long time and I had to add some silicone to get it to budge.

With the impeller puller, it just cranks it out and is SO much easier. Yeah, it's an expensive tool, but it's worth my sanity to have something that makes it 10x easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-660040-1-Impeller-Puller/dp/B002FVKBSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486501565&sr=8-1&keywords=impeller+puller

Also, when it's time to put the new impeller back in, you can take a zip tie and use it to "pre bend" the fins so that it slides into the hole easier. Just a trick that a forum member taught me that I liked. As you work the new impeller in, the zip tie gets pressed off the outside of the impeller and comes off.

Yes, you have reversible pumps. somewhere between the inlet thru hull valve (you pictured) and the place where they connect to the ballast bag, there is a reversible pump inline. your bags fill and drain from the same hole in the bottom. That's why you have timers for fill and empty. or you can listen for a change in tone in the sound of the pump motor that will tell you when it's not really pumping water anymore. That said, it is possible to add more hose, some check valves and some holes in the side of your boat to have "above water line draining". Wakemakers has a design layout on their website. It's certainly NOT necessary, but I only have 1 reversible pump on my boat and I like to "see and hear" the water draining from the side of my boat above water line. Just a preference thing.

This is good advice. My dad always says, "There is no substitute for the right tool". I'll definitely get a puller.

Davpmars
02-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Great looking boat, with all that snow and cold temps I'm hoping it is winterized? Correct???? Where in Utah are you?

We are up in Syracuse but I work in downtown Salt Lake City. Yeah, we had the dealer winterize the boat before we ever took it away from Mesa.

Davpmars
03-19-2017, 01:58 PM

Well I took your advice and I purchased the impeller puller tool and changed out the impeller this last weekend. It was surprisingly easy. You can see from the picture that the old impeller looks in very good shape still. It was a really tight fit. Are the fins supposed to be bent a little? I assume so...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170319/bcb9c2cbc62f05998a05b734baa8d4c5.jpg

North Woods Mobius
03-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Trayson,

I've got a quick noob question on the impeller puller: Is the one you tagged good for both the cooling impeller as well as the ballast pump impellers? Or do I need to use a smaller sized puller for the ballast pump impellers? I just bought some back up impellers for my ballast pumps so I want to have to right tool for the job when I need it :cool:

lee
03-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Trayson,

I've got a quick noob question on the impeller puller: Is the one you tagged good for both the cooling impeller as well as the ballast pump impellers? Or do I need to use a smaller sized puller for the ballast pump impellers? I just bought some back up impellers for my ballast pumps so I want to have to right tool for the job when I need it :cool:

You will not need a puller for the ballast pumps impeller.

MJHSupra
03-19-2017, 09:16 PM
You will not need a puller for the ballast pumps impeller.
+1 ^^^^

Those slide right off. Nothing like the motor impeller.

North Woods Mobius
03-19-2017, 10:31 PM
+1 ^^^^

Those slide right off. Nothing like the motor impeller.

Cool, thanks gents .... this is why I love this forum :cool:

trayson
03-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Well I took your advice and I purchased the impeller puller tool and changed out the impeller this last weekend. It was surprisingly easy. You can see from the picture that the old impeller looks in very good shape still. It was a really tight fit. Are the fins supposed to be bent a little? I assume so...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170319/bcb9c2cbc62f05998a05b734baa8d4c5.jpg

The fins get bent as they spin in the same direction. normal. Keep the old one as a spare in case your new one ever fails on the water. Yes, VERY tight fit. if you would have tried w/o the puller you'd have wondered how the hell you'd ever get it out w/o mangling it. Puller is rad.

Davpmars
03-21-2017, 08:40 AM
The fins get bent as they spin in the same direction. normal. Keep the old one as a spare in case your new one ever fails on the water. Yes, VERY tight fit. if you would have tried w/o the puller you'd have wondered how the hell you'd ever get it out w/o mangling it. Puller is rad.

There were two rubber oh rings that came with my impeller kit but I could not find where they should go. I looked all over and the impeller housing and I could not find The old ones so I simply did not install them. Do you know where they go?

kaneboats
03-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Your application uses the little thin cover gasket, not the "O" rings.

trayson
03-21-2017, 11:23 AM
There were two rubber oh rings that came with my impeller kit but I could not find where they should go. I looked all over and the impeller housing and I could not find The old ones so I simply did not install them. Do you know where they go?

Like Kane said, they include the seals and gaskets for different impeller housings. some housings use the O-rings, others like ours use the foam gasket. that way they can have 1 part number to cover most all the boats.