PDA

View Full Version : What screw driver to tighten the bolts at the bottom of the OZ HD Tower?

BrettLee3232
01-14-2017, 04:49 AM
Am I the only one who's screw comes loose on the tower? There's no easy way of tightening it. I haven't found a big enough flat head that doesn't start to strip it. Anyone have a recommendation of a screwdriver to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russellsmojo
01-14-2017, 09:56 AM
Am I the only one who's screw comes loose on the tower? There's no easy way of tightening it. I haven't found a big enough flat head that doesn't start to strip it. Anyone have a recommendation of a screwdriver to buy?

I had to tighten it every 2 to 3 trips out. I used a flathead screwdriver. A really big one. One trick I found was to take some pressure off the tower by pushing up on it. Then it would tighten real easy.

jstenger
01-14-2017, 10:19 AM
+1 on lifting the tower. Had to tighten them once. There is a lot of pressure on those bolts from the weight of the tower.

BrettLee3232
01-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Yeah I have to lift the tower to relieve stress but it's still a pain in the ass. I wish I could find a screw driver that was shaped like a tire iron so I could get some good torque on it lol.

I've looked at t-handle screw drivers but I haven't found a big enough one yet.

Mine get loose every trip. It's so annoying.

russellsmojo
01-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Yeah I have to lift the tower to relieve stress but it's still a pain in the ass. I wish I could find a screw driver that was shaped like a tire iron so I could get some good torque on it lol.

Buy more speakers to weight the tower down so it cannot loosen. [emoji3]

tnbrooks01
01-17-2017, 12:46 AM

Take them out one at a time and coat it with red threadlocker. I use the largest flathead I have and use a cresent wrench on the grip for more twisting force. That was the only way to stop them from vibrating loose.

BrettLee3232
01-17-2017, 03:15 AM
Take them out one at a time and coat it with red threadlocker. I use the largest flathead I have and use a cresent wrench on the grip for more twisting force. That was the only way to stop them from vibrating loose.

Thank you!

bjrow
01-17-2017, 03:35 AM
Hey mate same problem here originally.
Used a stainless ruler end, pulled each one out and put thread locker on it then replaced.
Been out about 20 times since and all good.
Cheers BruceR...from the other end of the world.

BrettLee3232
01-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Hey mate same problem here originally.
Used a stainless ruler end

How do you use a stainless ruler end?

All I can think of is in elementary school when the teachers had a 3' ruler lol

bjrow
01-18-2017, 04:13 AM
Here's a pic, just used it carefully while moving the tower up/down etc.

Cheers BruceR

BrettLee3232
01-18-2017, 04:39 AM
Here's a pic, just used it carefully while moving the tower up/down etc.

Cheers BruceR

How the heck is that ruler strong enough? I felt like I was going to have a hernia trying to tighten the screw (even with someone holding up the tower) haha

bjrow
01-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Ours was pretty easy, maybe the Loctite freed things up a bit. I did notice while removing each screw that there were metal shards in the threads which I cleaned out before re-assembling things. The LHS one wouldn't do up any tighter so hence the reason to remove it first, I then discovered the metal bits in the threads. After that no problems touch wood.
Cheers BruceR.

BrettLee3232
01-18-2017, 11:04 PM
Ours was pretty easy, maybe the Loctite freed things up a bit. I did notice while removing each screw that there were metal shards in the threads which I cleaned out before re-assembling things. The LHS one wouldn't do up any tighter so hence the reason to remove it first, I then discovered the metal bits in the threads. After that no problems touch wood.
Cheers BruceR.

Thank you!