PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Problem

beckman2713
07-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Hello

On Tuesday I picked up my Outback LS its great!

On the way home I was getting a side to side sway from the trailer...from 15 to 30 mph.
and when I was towing the trailer w/o the boat the trailer would bounce so much that it would create a back and fourth motion which would result in the trailer brakes locking up and releasing to the point it would shake the truck horribly. I'm going to have the dealer check it out at the 20 hr service, otherwise the boat is GREAT! Any ideas on the trailer would be helpful and I'm reading the manuals on the trailer and brakes. Thanks again
Happy Boating!

JoeTechie
07-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Sounds like you have the wrong sized ball on your hitch. Could you have picked up a 1 7/8" vs the standard 2" ? That will do exactly what you are talking about.
The weight distribution of the trailer could be wrong as well. If there is not enough tongue weight, then the trailer will sway back and forth. It is a simple adjustment when the boat is off the trailer - slide the axle back, and that will increase the tongue weight.

Hope this helps,

Joe

07-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Please call me when you get an opportunity. Your trailer shouldn't sway (fishtail) when towed. I'd like to discuss to get more details to help resolve this issue.
Owen Shelton
BoatMate Trailers, Inc.
865-273-1100
[email protected]