PDA

View Full Version : New Outback, Suggestions?

mase9921
07-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone, first let me say that this forum is loaded with great information and I thank all of you that contribute, I have an 06 Outback D drive that recently purchased. I does not have any factory ballast or a hyrdo wakeplate. I am new to wakeboarding and the wake it puts out is fine for now, but I would like to make some modifications for next summer. Does anyone have ideas/suggetions for this particular boat, especially ballast suggestions. I know I can add the bag under the back seat, but doen't that make it so no one can sit back there? Has anyone installed an automatic ballast system themselves?

I am also interested in Perfect Pass and a Hydo Wakeplate, are these good options or not worth the money on this particular boat?

Thanks for your comments, any suggestions for a newbie would be great appreciated

canuckskier
07-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Hello Mase and congratulations. I also am a new moomba owner, I have an '06 Outback DD as well. As for me, I only ski ( why I bought a DD). But almost all of my friends wakeboard, so I decided to gear it up with the tower and ballast, as well as the wakeplate. Let me tell you if you are going to want a great wakeboarding wake you bought the wrong boat. With ballast and a wakeplate it's good, but there is no comparison to a v drive. I'm sure that there are lots of people on this forum to help with installing ballast, another place to go is wakeside in the how-to -section. Some very good stuff there.

As for perfect pass, there are lots of threads about it here. I can tell you in the 40 hours I have on my boat now, I would have paid 5 times what I did for it. It shouldn't even be an option, it should be as standard as a steering wheel.

If I ever figure out how to post pictures on this site, I will upload some wake shots with the plate in different positions. Once you see those you may want to have one installed over the winter.

p.s. The above options will also help your resale value immensely, so think of it as an investment.

Cheers, and have fun with the new boat

Smrtz
07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Hey Mase,

I have the 05 outback with ballast and tower. If you are looking to improve the wake you need more weight in the boat. I use a ballast in the front on the floor and I have the launch pad twins on either side of the engine. The wakeplate it set all the way up. the wake is pretty good.

I found the best way to figure out how i wanted it was to get a bunch of people in the boat play around with who is sitting where and watch the wake. remember as important as it is to weigh down the rear putting weight in the front is equally as important.

Good luck!

Jay

mase9921
07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I definetely want to add weight the boat, did you buy a ballast system and do the work yourself? Was it a big job? Where do you buy these toys? Lots of ???'s, thanks for your patience with a newbie

Smrtz
07-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi Mase,

The rear ballast came stock, i left that one. I bought external launch pad twins i think they are 220 pounds each that I put on either side of the engine. the front ballast is also a launch pad i cant remember the exact weight . i use a tsunami pump to fill the added ballasts. The one that came with is plumbed right into the boat. As for where to buy. there are lots of online sites that sell them. I just bought the ones I got locally. they are available pretty much anywhere that you buy your boarding gear.

let me know if you have any further questions

Cheers

pmann
08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Ballast info: I have added 2600 lbs to my '04 Outback DD. This was accomplished by using Fly High Pro Series bags. I installed an Integrated Bow Sac under the front bow seats, and have installed 2 -600 lb sacs in the back. One is located between the engine cover and the rear seat, and the other is located in the rear storage locker. As the storage locker also houses the gas tank, I installed a 3/8 inch steel plate to support the weight of the sac. I drain the three bags with 2 Tsunani 2200 GPH pumps, and fill with 2 other Tsunani 2200 GPH pumps. I installed a 1.25 inch thru hull water scoop, to meet the water needs for filling, and have used 1 1/8 diameter lines, as well I have installed 2 - 1 1/8 inch thru hulls. To ensure that I can control the amount of flow, I purchased 4 high flow water sprinkler valves and changed them to 12 DC. The entire system has worked everyday this summer flawlessly. It take approx 5 minutes to load the ballasts at 25 mph, and about 8-10 to empty entire system.
The wake produced is has high as my friends Gravity Games XLV.

Smrtz
08-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Thats awesome Pmann,
Just goes to show that the outback may not, by itself throw a great wake but, once you weight it down a bit with ballast (or people) It really does the job well!!

Cheers

mase9921
08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeh, that is quite a setup you have! If my math is correct, you have 1200lbs in the back and 1400lbs in the bow, where did you find a bag with that capacity to fit under the bow seats? That's def. what I'm looking for, thanks for your help

mase9921
08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Just answered my own question, the fly high sac fits under the bow seats, that is sweet

gotmyboat
08-02-2006, 05:49 PM
My '05 Outback DD is rated at 1450 lbs max weight. What does 2600 lbs plus passengers do to your boat? Sounds like you should start thinking Mobius LSV/XLV.

Watch out for the wake crossings!!

Dave:p

pmann
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
The extra weight (plus approx 1200 lbs) drops the boat approx 7 inches in the water, and has shown no extra effort for the engine (320HP). The only thing I have to always consider is stopping, waiting for our wake to pass before we turn around to pick up a down rider, otherwise we are suspectible to our own wake crashing over our bow.