PDA

View Full Version : Starter/Electrical Moomba Mojo

Wlowery21
12-23-2016, 08:42 AM
I have a 2015 Mojo with the Indmar Raptor 400. I had starting issues last year. The dealer replaced the starter last July under warranty after sitting there for what seemed like forever. Here I am again with a no start issue. I removed the starter yesterday and it was a beast. It's located underneath the block with very little room to work with. I had to go out and buy an extension allen socket to remove it. Now I'm having trouble finding the part number/reference online. Pictures below. It reads on the starter:
SAEJ1171 MARINE
ISO 8846

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/655fc7f45821adedcf210d29f87c0aa2.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/1a4d641a136f9f718919bcbc14e35ad4.jpg

My dealer said Indmar will be suspicious of replacing 2 starters under warranty so soon. But I can see this being an awful design. Hard to access and easy for water to get to. I've read that it's was changed in 16' or 17' relocating it to the top. I'm sort of strapped for cash so my options are as follows:

1. Take to dealer and try to get another under warranty risking having to pay a high price after it is sent to Indmar for evaluation. Apparently they don't cover it from getting wet.

2. Purchase aftermarket starter cheaper than from Indmar.

3. Have starter rebuilt.

4. Both 2 and 3 so I'll have a spare.

Can anyone help shed some light? Where to find an aftermarket starter? Best Brand? How to prevent in the future, if it is in fact my fault for getting too much water in the engine compartment?

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smorris7
12-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Let the dealer handle this! It should be a warranty issue. If it's indmars design flaw then they need to replace the starter as many times as it takes. Let them handle it and make sure you hold the dealer accountable.

UNSTUCK
12-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Start with option 3. Well option 2.5 first. Take it to the rebuilder and have them TEST it first. That will be free. Starters don't fail that fast. What was done to diagnose the failed starter the first time? If it was in fact just a bad starter, what's the chances that you got another one? My vote is that you do not have bad starters, but something else making them go bad or making them appear to be bad.

jtatexc
12-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Let the dealer handle this! It should be a warranty issue. If it's indmars design flaw then they need to replace the starter as many times as it takes. Let them handle it and make sure you hold the dealer accountable.

I agree. I have heard of some strange things causing some strange things. I would let the dealer run some extra diagnostics. Tell them how unhappy the wait made you last time and that you are not ok with waiting a month to get it back. If it needs a 2nd starter they need to deal with it , but if it's something else which I suspect it is, they need to deal with that also. That is the purpose of a warrenty and on a new boat I wouldn't be doing much wrenching outside of the scheduled maintenance if you're trying to save money. The more you do the more you do yourself you're opening the door for them to fight you. Just my .02. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wlowery21
12-23-2016, 10:58 AM
I agree with what was written above. Either design flaw or bad luck, I'm disappointed after spending $70k+.

Just got it tested at both O'Reilly's and Advanced. At Advanced they got it to extend, but not spin by manually hooking a jumper box to it and arcing the signal and hot post with a screwdriver. Then O'Reilly's tested it with their machine as an F-250 starter and it failed. They can't really do a proper test because they can't even reference the part.

Talked to the dealer and they said they would look at it and if it didn't appear water-damaged they would swap again under warranty.