PDA

View Full Version : Don't be a D-Bag on your lake!!!

JesseC
12-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Since it is winter and my boat is put away and mods are done for this year, the only thing left to do is stand on the soap box for a minute. So here goes, if you live on the lake or just launch for the weekend, this is for everyone. On my lake here in Alabama (Lay Lake), we have several d-bags that simply do not pay attention to other peoples property or other peoples enjoyment of the lake. Unfortunately my two major offenders are Moomba owners (I know how can that be). I love surfing and wake boarding just as much as the next guy, but I try to keep my wake away from peoples dock or where people are trying to float/swim. These two guys on my lake go by our boat house about 20' off the end of the dock throwing a surf wake towards the dock. And they just do loops out front beating the dock and sea wall to death. Don't even try to float out front or you will get sea sick from the constant rollers. Our lake is several miles long and hundreds of feet wide in most places, yet these two different boat owners just do 200' circles out front all day long beating everyone's dock and shorelines. I see young kids just standing on the dock waiting for these two geniuses to either take a break or finish for the day since it is hard for the little ones to swim in huge rollers. I'm thinking to myself don't you see everyone standing on their docks waiting for you to go away! Please try and be courteous of everyone on the lake including "day" boaters and lakefront owners. These new boats are throwing massive wakes and we all need to be aware of where these wakes are going. Any thoughts?????

supra790
12-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Since it is winter and my boat is put away and mods are done for this year, the only thing left to do is stand on the soap box for a minute. So here goes, if you live on the lake or just launch for the weekend, this is for everyone. On my lake here in Alabama (Lay Lake), we have several d-bags that simply do not pay attention to other peoples property or other peoples enjoyment of the lake. Unfortunately my two major offenders are Moomba owners (I know how can that be). I love surfing and wake boarding just as much as the next guy, but I try to keep my wake away from peoples dock or where people are trying to float/swim. These two guys on my lake go by our boat house about 20' off the end of the dock throwing a surf wake towards the dock. And they just do loops out front beating the dock and sea wall to death. Don't even try to float out front or you will get sea sick from the constant rollers. Our lake is several miles long and hundreds of feet wide in most places, yet these two different boat owners just do 200' circles out front all day long beating everyone's dock and shorelines. I see young kids just standing on the dock waiting for these two geniuses to either take a break or finish for the day since it is hard for the little ones to swim in huge rollers. I'm thinking to myself don't you see everyone standing on their docks waiting for you to go away! Please try and be courteous of everyone on the lake including "day" boaters and lakefront owners. These new boats are throwing massive wakes and we all need to be aware of where these wakes are going. Any thoughts?????
Not that it makes it okay but just out of curiosity what is the depth of the rest of the lake? If the water isn't deep enough they might be staying in that area because it's the only area deep enough to get a good surf wake...

2016 Supra SG 450

JesseC
12-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Water depth isn't an issue anywhere on our lake. Shallowest point is around 20'. Most of the lake is 30'-50' deep. I surf all over the lake and tend to stick to the more rural areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supra790
12-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Water depth isn't an issue anywhere on our lake. Shallowest point is around 20'. Most of the lake is 30'-50' deep. I surf all over the lake and tend to stick to the more rural areas

Hmmm....that's the only thing I could think of....that sucks

2016 Supra SG 450

russellsmojo
12-05-2016, 08:31 PM
That stinks. Have you motored out and talked to them? That seems like the first step. If that does not work then fire up your surf wave or better yet start cutting donuts until they leave. I suspect they are not doing it on purpose though.

jtatexc
12-05-2016, 09:32 PM
My thought is to do as mentioned above. Just like with any car on any public highway, some people are idiots and some others just don't realize. Troll out to them and be cool and ask them to be a bit more conscientious. 10 years ago when I was a new boater I surely did some crap to annoy the veterans and would have appreciated some early polite lessons. If they are d-bags after you talk to them then yes the are in fact that...d-bags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
12-05-2016, 10:09 PM
There is a 100' foot law in GA. See if there isn't similar in AL. Dial in a paint ball gun to fire 100'.

zabooda
12-05-2016, 10:56 PM
A portable air horn at 20' hurts so do fishing lures and they don't come out very easy also add a partially submerged log and you have a trifecta. Where do they leave their trailer and what would they do if their trailer became unusable? Actually, law enforcement and a video may be enough for them to venture out.

russellsmojo
12-06-2016, 11:21 AM
A portable air horn at 20' hurts so do fishing lures and they don't come out very easy also add a partially submerged log and you have a trifecta. Where do they leave their trailer and what would they do if their trailer became unusable? Actually, law enforcement and a video may be enough for them to venture out.

Don't make zabooda mad!! Lol. Gonna get hurt!!

kaneboats
12-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Make a little buoy (empty bleach bottle works great) and tie it to a small weight or rock so it floats about 70 feet out from your dock. Write "BIG ASS ROCK" on it in big letters. They will avoid running right there out of fear.

JesseC
12-06-2016, 01:00 PM
These two that like to just do big loops out front are neighbors!!! I have yelled to them from our dock and they give surfs up signs!!! I'm like can you not tell that I am not a fan of yours? We have two buoys on 25' of stainless steel cable anchored to three concrete and re bar anchors each. This has helped a little to keep them of the end of our dock. However, this does not solve the issue of these yahoos doing more laps than the indy 500 out front where you cannot swim or float until they leave. It really sucks for the little kids. It is sad that we have to load up our boat and head up or down river leaving our dock and house so they can swim. If these guys would use the entire lake we would only see them every so often instead of watching them do these loops for hours. I am not trying to be an A$$ about it, all I am saying is that everyone needs to be aware of what our beautiful wake/wave machines are doing to others on the lake. I try really hard to not be "That Guy" at the lake that no one can stand. I do have to agree that in my younger days trolling the lake in a 24' Formula with a 454, I was probably "That Guy".

5:00
12-06-2016, 01:03 PM
I am with the go out and talk to them crowd. Talk about the kids and things getting beaten up. If they are D-bags nothing is going to keep them away so you may as well try. Pick a day when there are fewer of them on the boat. Starting a war is probably not the way to go.
Let them know you surf also and talk about other places you go that are better.

zabooda
12-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Check your state laws for proximity to shoreline laws and also dangerous or negligent operation laws. Talk to your law enforcement folks and explain the circumstances including video or pictures. Invite them to come in by vehicle and treat them to a lunch to observe especially if there boating is predictable enough to know when they will be on the water. You know who they are and what they are doing so if you know what rules are being violated it is a slam dunk. My concern would be the possible retribution when you aren't around. The negligent driving rule is a catch all that is a judgement from the officer. I wish you the best.

Washington law states that these dangerous operating practices are illegal.

Negligent Operation is operating a vessel in disregard of careful and prudent operation, or in disregard of careful and prudent rates of speed in a manner that unduly or unreasonably endangers the life, limb, property, or other rights of any person. This includes:
•Not paying attention to the operation of the vessel
•Failing to keep a proper lookout
•Failing to follow the navigation rules
•Causing danger from the effects of the vessel's wake
•Allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwales, or transom of a vessel not equipped with adequate railings to prevent falls overboard

Reckless Operation is operating carelessly in a willful and wanton disregard of the rights, safety, or property of another person. It includes:
•Weaving in and out of other vessels, docks, or buoys
•Playing "chicken" with another vessel
•Operating in a marked "No Boats" area such as a swimming or dam spillway area

https://www.boat-ed.com/washington/handbook/page/44/Unlawful-and-Dangerous-Operation/

5:00
12-06-2016, 02:53 PM
The problem is that there isn't a "no D-bag" rule. It really is subjective at that point so officers may be the best bet.

moombadaze
12-06-2016, 05:45 PM
floating rope, leave a few sections out floating, couple prop tangles and they might get the idea

jmvotto
12-06-2016, 05:53 PM
floating rope, leave a few sections out floating, couple prop tangles and they might get the idea

Nice daze the "whale wars tricks"

I would talk to them an if they are ass.... again and disrespect you then bring in the authorities. or a big can of WHOOP AZZ from the Moomba forum...

are they kids or adults.......

DOCDRS
12-06-2016, 10:37 PM
When we go surfing , I generally run up and down the length of the lake and try not to stay in anyone place to long to try and limit this from occurring. I think "the small kids would like to play in the water" and would it be possible to not run constantly in front of out place should go along way if they are reasonable. If they are 20' from your dock i would video and call the police, we have a 100' law. If they disregard, just head out in a canoe/paddleboat and get in their way

BensonWdby
12-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Do you think an extra 100 feet off shore would make a difference? I doubt it.
At only 20 feet off dock I would be more worried about people in the water.
A 2 man water balloon slingshot from shore might make a good deterrent and allow you to have some fun in the process since you can't be in the water.
If you use inflatables you might actually enjoy the ride. Some people I know intentionally use their boat to provide 'rollers' for people in the water because they like the up/down - maybe these guys think they are actually doing you a favor.
It may also be that they see your boat and figure you are a surfer and will 'understand'.
Or maybe yo did something to piss them off so they are getting back at you? Probably something you are not even aware of...

KG's Supra24
12-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Just one conversation away from knowing :rolleyes:

I'm in the "go talk to them" camp.

JesseC
12-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Just one conversation away from knowing :rolleyes:

I'm in the "go talk to them" camp.

We did go talk to them several times and they just move a little up or down river and bother other people on the lake. The first time I spoke with them they seemed cool and were like "No problem" and they disappeared for a few hours. On the way back to the house we stopped at my sisters house (she also lives on the lake) and had to wait for the yahoos to quit surfing 20' off of her dock so we could dock there and visit with them a while. They seem to be stuck with the idea that only 200' of the lake can be used at any one time. My neighbors usually see me twice a day. Once when we leave out and once when we come back. We try to use the more remote sections of the lake to throw a surf wake or wake board wake. This post was meant more for getting people to be thinking and becoming more aware of what is happening to others on the lake. We just ignore them and let them have their fun now. No reason to be mean or rude but if everyone just becomes aware of their surroundings it makes it great for everybody!! The other issue with them is that they have a fairly nice stereo system that we get to listen to for hours at a time and their choice of music really sucks. It is funny to hear Miley screaming from the tower speakers with a boat load of male d-bags.....we usually just laugh at them now since we now have our dual lifts and rip-rap sea wall so they can't beat our boats to death.

KG's Supra24
12-07-2016, 05:10 PM
That's frustrating if you have already talked to them.

We are in a similar situation. The cove we are in looks perfect for watersports but the "cove" home owners have established it as a pretty well known no ski area (years before we moved in). Luckily for us we have a neighbor that LOVES waving boats down and letting them know he will be calling law enforcement .... He even nagged me for pulling a wakeboard with the Jet Ski.

Perhaps letting them know they are affecting your lake time and/or that the community as a whole in the area is getting frustrated, looking to reach out to law enforcement, that you wanted to give them heads up as a fellow owner, etc might help?

I agree it would be nice if everyone was mindful of their surroundings. The stereo is another great point about being mindful. As a rev owner I try to watch the volume and try my best to play clean playlist.

KG's Supra24
12-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Someone had put one of these in our cove until it was removed, I assume by law enforcement .....

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/water_activities/boating/gis/buoy_pics/no_ski.jpg

moombadaze
12-07-2016, 06:51 PM
sure must take the enjoyment out of having lake side living, Sucks you have already talked to them and they still do it. I always tried to be aware of my wave, I only surfed down the middle of our lake but it most likely didn't make much difference, never like being close to shore anyway

russellsmojo
12-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Miley?? That's it, Enough said. Time to bring out the good stuff mentioned in this thread.