PDA

View Full Version : Rev10's on Craz tower...normal clamps, x mount or swivel clamps?

That Guy
11-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Looking to buy some Rev10's this Black Friday and my boat is still getting built. Anyone know what setup is best? I'm planning on drilling a hole in the tower tube and pulling the wires down into the clamp so it's completely hidden instead of buying the mount Moomba sells for the flat welded piece that leaves the wires exposed. Just looking to see if I need the ability to swivel the speakers to get them facing straight back or if the tower is straight enough.

Thanks

That Guy
11-24-2016, 12:40 AM
And actually I'll add to my question...are Rev10's that much bette than Icon8's? They are about twice the price...but look so sweet. I had Icons on my last boat with no complaints....we only surf and float. Do icons again or splurge for the revs?

beat taco
11-24-2016, 01:57 AM
Revs, saw earmark had 20% off. 2 or 4? What's that make them cost?

That Guy
11-24-2016, 02:01 AM
Rev10's with fixed clamps under $1k shipped!

That Guy
11-24-2016, 02:45 AM
Ok getting a little trigger happy with these sales and the excitement of the new boat coming.

I'm the past couple hours I've bought a pair of Rev10's, an amp for those and am about to pull the trigger on a box, sub with led grill and amp as well.

I'm semi ocd and want my sub to match my in-boats speaker grill wise, so any reason not to go with the kicker KM10 sub? And which amp should I go with to power it?

I've had good luck with PPI amps and ordered a 900.4 for the revs, will the 600.2 work for the sub? Thanks in advance!

That Guy
11-24-2016, 03:03 AM
Or is there one amp I can power the pair of Rev10's and the km10 sub off of?

And is there any difference between the 2ohm and 4ohm sub?

I'm not that stereo saavy.

mattsask
11-24-2016, 05:18 AM
You might be bottler off with 8's. I bought 10's and ended up returning them once I took some measurements on the tower. They will eat up quite a bit of head room. That's not something I could live with.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

That Guy
11-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm worried about that as well but my dealer says it's not an issue. So do you have rev8's? Any pictures?

MLA
11-24-2016, 10:14 AM
are Rev10's that much better than Icon8's?

A larger speaker, even when driven with the wattage, will play louder than smaller speaker. The larger speaker also yields deeper mid-bass output. In the case of the rev-10, this extra mi-bass helps further balance the dominant compression driver. So even though the Rev-10 is an HLCD traditionally most ideal for wake range projection, it makes an excellent surf/party cove setup.

So, if head room or bimini clearance is not an issue, yes, the Rev-10 are worth it.

so any reason not to go with the kicker KM10 sub? And which amp should I go with to power it?

Nope! IMO, the Kicker KM10 is the most musical marine 10 on the market. Just my opinion, but I feel its an excellent sounding woofer. Rather than purchasing a "box", I would seriously consider doing a custom enclosure, whether you build it yourself or have it built for you, for your boat. You need an enclosure thas not only with the proper internal volume, but it needs to fit the boat and be able to stand up to the marine environment.

Amp wise, anywhere between 200W and 400W rms. The more headroom the amp offers, the more precise the tuning needs to be though. The Kicker KX400.1 would be my 1st choice, especially if you are going to build a ported enclosure, and a more budget friendly option would be the Kicker CXA300.1. Go with the KM10 2 ohm for either of these amps.

Just note, the KM10 now comes without the grill, its a separate piece to order. This allows you to choose your grill color or no grill at all.

Why not take advantage of the black friday discounting and get a package deal on speakers and an amp like the Wet Sounds Syn-DX4.

All three of the Wet Sounds speaker mounting options allow for the speaker wires to be concealed through the clamp.pod mount. However, they can be converted to a traditional plug for those towers prewired from the factory or existing holes that would not line up with the center of the pod/clamp.

Unless you move the pods way into the center, I think you are going to want the swivel clamps in order to better align and aim the pod.

Or is there one amp I can power the pair of Rev10's and the km10 sub off of?

Yes. I would suggest the Wet Sounds Syn-DX6 or the Arc Audio XDi1100.5

That Guy
11-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info!

I'll see if I can switch to the swivel clamps on the Rev's.

I've never had the 10's or a Craz so hoping I can get them far enough out that headroom down the middle is fine.

I bought the km10 and a charcoal grill which hopefully matches the in boat speakers but also got the led grill for some in boat glow.

I got a qbomb box for the sub as I've read good things online about them and I've never built a box before.

I plan to drill the underside of the tower to route the wiring down through the clamp into the speaker.

MLA
11-24-2016, 09:26 PM
I got a qbomb box for the sub as I've read good things online about them

Sadly, those reviews might be written by those who dont yet realize their couple season old enclosure is already swelling up and looking like this inside.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/mikesliquidaudio/IMG_20161101_143150139_zpsvbcwghky.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mikesliquidaudio/media/IMG_20161101_143150139_zpsvbcwghky.jpg.html)

That Guy
11-24-2016, 09:39 PM
Whoa! Is that mold? How do I prevent that or how do you recommend I build a box to avoid that? That's gross!

jtatexc
11-25-2016, 03:03 AM
This is rough to see in the pic but I build a custom enclosed box and suspended it above the floor by putting 4 bolts through the back panel and it doesn't see any water at all and I am very pleased. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/670ee5c3aaefe2622e28c313f42addda.jpg
This is with the kicker 12" shallow mount sub. I have it overpowered with a jl audio 500.1. I am huge on purpose build pieces and not a huge fan of universal. I get tons of compliments on my stereo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That Guy
11-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the pics, I plan to get the sub box off the floor like I did in my last boat.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the X clamps, fixed clamps or swivel clamps. I wish I had the boat here to see where on the tower I could clamp the speaker to get it as far out to the side. In the few pictures I've been able to find online it doesn't appear that there is any space on the tower outside of the Flat mount where Moomba places them to clamp it....is this the case?

MLA
11-25-2016, 06:56 PM
is this the case?

Looks like it. Seems the A3 is only Craz tower offering. Seems that both the Wet Sounds and other OEM offering are direct-mount to that flat lateral support between the aft and forward bars. So, Wet Sounds "X" mount looks like the simple solution. Fixed or swivel would work if you went just inside of the lateral support and mounted to the aft cross bar. You could go with the swivel on the aft side bar, but i dont see much of an advantage to this over X mount in the OEM spot besides removal.

moombaman16
11-25-2016, 11:22 PM
This is rough to see in the pic but I build a custom enclosed box and suspended it above the floor by putting 4 bolts through the back panel and it doesn't see any water at all and I am very pleased. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/670ee5c3aaefe2622e28c313f42addda.jpg
This is with the kicker 12" shallow mount sub. I have it overpowered with a jl audio 500.1. I am huge on purpose build pieces and not a huge fan of universal. I get tons of compliments on my stereo

Not to high jack the thread but what lighting do you have you boat looks awesome?!

jtatexc
11-26-2016, 01:04 AM
Not to high jack the thread but what lighting do you have you boat looks awesome?!
I got some ebay led strips and tapped into my courtesy lights so it's on the same switch. I put the strips inside the walls above the speakers ( 6 or 8 total I cant remember). All of maybe half hour and was less than 20 bucks. I'm plenty pleased with it.

That Guy
11-26-2016, 01:55 AM
Thanks MLA and jta, I went with the x mounts which are the cheapest, and will definitely have to buy some blue led strips to add to my interior. So far the sub has a blue glow ring and I'll probably buy rings for the Rev10's but this sounds great for the rest of the boat!

That Guy
02-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Ok, I'm scratching my head here....

How do I attach the speaker with the Wetsounds X-Mount to the 'factory wetsound adapters' that are really Wetsounds Nautique FC5U adapters?

I don't have a way to screw a bolt into it from either way.

Here is a picture of the adapter Moomba uses for the Wetsounds mount to the tower.

https://wetsounds.com/media/products/accessories/nautique-fct5-u-lg.jpg

MLA
02-19-2017, 02:08 PM

How do I attach the speaker with the Wetsounds X-Mount to the 'factory wetsound adapters' that are really Wetsounds Nautique FC5U adapters?

Here is a picture of the adapter Moomba uses for the Wetsounds mount to the tower.

Your Wet Sounds Rev-10 and adapter retailer should be able to show you exactly how the adapter bolts to the pod. But in a nut shell, you pull the driver and bolt through to the adapter from the inside of the pod. wire passes though the side of the adapter.

That Guy
02-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Thanks MLA. I was messing with everything last night and guess wasn't really awake. I've only used the clamps on prior speakers so didn't realize I had to disassemble the speaker to swap out mounts.

Got it figured out and one speaker on the tower already. I'd have called the vendor except with it being Sunday I figured I'd be SOL until Monday. Appreciate the help.

That Guy
02-23-2017, 12:28 AM
I've got an amp wiring question now.

I've got everything installed and wired up, however I'm only getting sound out of 1 tower speaker. I haven't installed a stereo system in a few years so I'm a bit rusty, and I don't think I've ever bridged an amp before.

I have a PPI 900.4 to a pair of Rev10's. I believe, according to everything I've read including the manual, that I must bridge the 4 channel amp into 2 channels. To bridge the amp I connect the -L to the +R for one speaker and opposite for the other speaker, right? And then I have to have the switch on the amp on ST and hook the RCA's up to the front channel, right?

Am I missing something or doing somethig wrong? If not I guess I need to determine if I have a wiring issue between the amp and speaker, or if I have an amp issue with the channel wired to the speaker that doesn't work.

Lastly, any recommendations on amp settings to start with?

TIA

Rakkasan
03-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Saw you got your speakers up in another post. Any chance you took some close ups of where they mounted up. Think I'm going to do the same and our Craz will be here in a month. How do those adapters attach to the tower?

That Guy
03-10-2017, 02:17 AM
Saw you got your speakers up in another post. Any chance you took some close ups of where they mounted up. Think I'm going to do the same and our Craz will be here in a month. How do those adapters attach to the tower?

I did....it just took finding the correct page of instructions, lol! It was late and I had been drinking a bit....oops. All is well now. I can grab a few photos up close but they are mounted to the factory location as if you were to order the boat with Rev10's.

You need the X-Mount kit for the speakers and this bracket and they just bolt together as they are supposed to.

Rakkasan
03-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Awesome. I bit the bullet and ordered the speakers with xmount and the adapters last night.

That Guy
03-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Awesome. I bit the bullet and ordered the speakers with xmount and the adapters last night.

Sweet! I'm sure you'll love it. They sound amazing and look killer on the tower.

stevemarich
04-29-2017, 10:13 PM
Here is a pic of a custom mount for the rev 10 I did on my 17 Craz, had the same feeling of not wanting to see any wires , but I liked where they sit on the welded plates , worked out pretty cool

ktenan12
08-05-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm not seeing a link in any of your other posts for pictures. Did you ever get around to posting any? I just brought some Rev10's home for my '19 Craz and was pretty disappointed at how the swivel clamps looked (not mounted on the tower yet). I got the impression the factory mount had a cleaner look? I assumed they mounted them to the plate with three holes in it? Does that sound right?

I would appreciate any advice/pictures you can share!
Thanks!

MLA
08-05-2019, 05:15 PM
@ktenan12,

Those flat spots with 3 holes are a tower pod mounting location, but it seems SC is supplying the speakers using the TC3-S clamps on the bar.

All you need is the CC-FC5U mounts and then you can mount your pods in those locations using the swivel clamps you have.

ktenan12
08-05-2019, 05:39 PM
Thanks MLA.

You’re talking about this correct?
https://www.wetsounds.com/product/ADP-Nautique-FC5-U
Although I think some other vendors had it in a polished finish which would match what I have better.

MLA
08-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Thats all you need!

ktenan12
08-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Thats all you need!

I’m not sure how much purpose the swivel really serves. Would it make sense to buy the X-Kit with that bracket to give it all a cleaner look? Or do those two not work together?

MLA
08-07-2019, 08:14 AM
The Swivel clamps are great if you tow the boat often or long distance, you can remove the pods. If the boat is in a marina or community slip, you can remove the pods and take them with you.

Check with your dealer about swapping the TC3-S clamps for the X hardware and the FC5U adapters. Either option works, but you do need the adapters to make use of the tower's mounting locations, or clamp around the tower tube lime SC does.