PDA

View Full Version : 03 möbius auto bilge?

stx.dead.I
11-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Recently got an03 Mombasa möbius lsv. I noticed that occasionally the bilge will turn on on its own. Is this a standard feature on this boat? I haven't seen anything about it anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MLA
11-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Does it discharge water when it comes on? if so, id address the leak first. Whether or not the auto bilge was standard or a previous owner installed it, it sounds like you have an auto bilge and a leak. If you look along the bilge floor you will either see an external float or water level sensor or you will see that the bilge has 3 wires, indicating the float/water sensor is internal.

stx.dead.I
11-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Yes we already addressed the leak. It was a loose nut on one of the water tubes

Stazi
11-16-2016, 07:11 AM
An 03 will not have a dripless packing on the prop shaft. As such, over time the dripping water from the shaft seal will accumulate enough to kick on the bilge. It's normal, but you should check the drop rate while just in gear and adjust it accordingly. It could be that it has worn over time and needs to be snugged up a little. Make sure you still let it drip very 3-5 secs though. You don't want it to stop, otherwise you will burn out the packing and score the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stx.dead.I
11-16-2016, 09:15 PM
An 03 will not have a dripless packing on the prop shaft. As such, over time the dripping water from the shaft seal will accumulate enough to kick on the bilge. It's normal, but you should check the drop rate while just in gear and adjust it accordingly. It could be that it has worn over time and needs to be snugged up a little. Make sure you still let it drip very 3-5 secs though. You don't want it to stop, otherwise you will burn out the packing and score the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do I check this dripless packing?

Darter
11-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Yours will be a drip style, unless a previous owner installed a dripless variety (not likely, but possible).

Here's a good video. in the first half of the vid, where the guy is standing would be the transmission output on a direct drive. The second half shows a v-drive setup.

He says 1 drip per 10 seconds. I've heard anywhere from 1 per 30 all the way up to 1 per minute. Better to err on the wetter side. Only drawback is more water in the boat if it drips more often. Mine was 1 per 1 second when I bought it, and I snugged it to 1 per 10 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBDKDy9NO9g

stx.dead.I
11-17-2016, 10:13 PM
Yours will be a drip style, unless a previous owner installed a dripless variety (not likely, but possible).

Here's a good video. in the first half of the vid, where the guy is standing would be the transmission output on a direct drive. The second half shows a v-drive setup.

He says 1 drip per 10 seconds. I've heard anywhere from 1 per 30 all the way up to 1 per minute. Better to err on the wetter side. Only drawback is more water in the boat if it drips more often. Mine was 1 per 1 second when I bought it, and I snugged it to 1 per 10 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBDKDy9NO9g
Cool video thanks for the help

Stazi
11-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Thanks for posting that. I knew someone would have a better reference for doing the job than I would.