PDA

View Full Version : Water Drain Plugs in Walters V drive

JHutch
10-24-2016, 12:04 PM
So it was my first time trying to do my own winterization and all was going well until I hit a snag. The drain plugs in the V drive are stuck? I wrenched on them until I was afraid they would break, any ideas how to get them loose? Or will I be alright just removing both hose and blowing air through the V Drive and then putting some antifreeze in it?

drb59
10-24-2016, 02:31 PM
I had the same issue and I blow air through and then antifreeze and blow that through and then add some more antifreeze. No issues and I am in Canada.

Kidder522
10-24-2016, 08:48 PM
I had the same issue and I blow air through and then antifreeze and blow that through and then add some more antifreeze. No issues and I am in Canada.

Yep. Me as well. Air, antifreeze and air with the hoses off. I'm in Alberta and I have no issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOCDRS
10-25-2016, 10:36 PM
+1 ^^^^^^^

VA LSV
10-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Replaced my original steel plugs with hex head brass plugs. Was a struggle to get the steel ones out. Ended up using vise grips. Brass ones don't corrode in place plus you can use a box end wrench or socket on them. Same plugs fit my engine block drains.

jstenger
10-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Same here. They come out easy.

MLA
10-28-2016, 09:03 PM
On the Walter, the cooler is typically higher than the raw water inlet scoop. So, once the boat is pulled out of the water, most of the water in the cooler runs out the inlet side. On the outlet side, water tends to get trapped in the hose going to the engine due to a dip. Pull the hose and let that water run out. In short, Ive never needed to pull the actual plugs on a Walter.