PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not have enough push?

BoneCrusher
10-12-2016, 01:52 PM
First time on the forum and new owner of a 2016 Mondo with the Surf Package. Love the boat and I am beginner level surfer. My wave looks nice, good height and length but I don't seem to have enough push to drop the rope. I took a friend out who owns a Nautique and has been surfing for 8 years. We both weigh about 175 pounds, with duel stern bags and bow bags completely full he could not get enough push either. We tried adjusting for hours, changing the fill in the sacs, wake plate in every position, with no luck. Just feels like it needs a little more push. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks much in advance.

dlowe
10-12-2016, 01:54 PM
I am able to get a ton of push by raising the wake plate all the way up. How much weight did you have in the bow? I normally fill 3/4 with a light crew.

BoneCrusher
10-12-2016, 02:02 PM
I usually have the bow sac full, crew of 3. Tried with the wake plate in every position. Would decreasing the bow weight to 3/4 make a big difference?
Thanks, BC

mattsask
10-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Upgrade those rear bags!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
10-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Upgraded rear bags will be a big help.

Outside of that .... drop offside weight closer to 50%, drop some bow weight if running full, adjust the flow plates to general recommended settings (~60% port and ~80% starboard), wakeplate all the way up or close to, speed between 10.2-11.2 (I'm around 10.8) and it may be a good idea to verify with GPS.

Crane man
10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
after many hours of trying I bagged out and started upping the speed. Full factory surf balast at 11.1-11.4 is when the sweet spot appears in my boat. I also changed props because stock OJ had tons of wash/rooster tail.

BoneCrusher
10-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Thanks all, I will drop some weight in the bow, and check that my speed is accurate. I have the cruise set at 11. I think the surf edition comes with upgraded bags, I don't see how I could fit another inch of bags in the stern compartment, they are "yuge".

KG, is there a way to adjust the flow plates manually?

KG's Supra24
10-12-2016, 09:54 PM
I think it is in vessel settings.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

BrettLee3232
10-12-2016, 11:27 PM
You need 900 rears & 750 ibs.
I also am running a 250lb under port seat. With that setup I have pretty good push with just my wife driving and daughter in the boat. I also use my biddies 150lb fat brick on the rear seat and it's money! More crew and wave only gets bigger. The 20' boats I've noticed need bow weight. Not like the mojo and craz for some reason. I upgraded from 509 to 750. Stock rears are 650 & I have 900s.

I'm rolling with 3250lbs with a 2079 prop and flow 2.0. Best 20' wave in my honest/biased opinion [emoji1591]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpanderson07
10-13-2016, 09:54 AM
How deep is the water? My wave loses all of it's push at anything less than 10 - 12 feet but it still looks decent.

MJHSupra
10-13-2016, 12:15 PM
This might be mostly setup on your new boat, but it's also riding style. When I talk to 'larger people' trying to surf, I tell them to get more on their toes when riding. Some boards ride better if they are moving. Some folks love to just sit back, like a riding in a lazy-boy chair.

BoneCrusher
10-13-2016, 06:21 PM
How deep is the water? My wave loses all of it's push at anything less than 10 - 12 feet but it still looks decent.

That's a good point, I remember my buddy telling me that. Lakes are shallow in central Florida.

nitrodude24
10-13-2016, 09:07 PM
the surf edition only comes with the exTra bow sax need larger locker bags, trust Brett Lee he should know

RichM
10-14-2016, 09:41 AM
I replaced my rear bags with 1450s. You don't need to fill them if you have a ton of people on the boat, but when there is only 3 of us it makes a huge difference. You give up most of your storage, but it is worth it. These boats are for surfing not camping.

jmvotto
10-14-2016, 10:16 PM
I replaced my rear bags with 1450s. You don't need to fill them if you have a ton of people on the boat, but when there is only 3 of us it makes a huge difference. You give up most of your storage, but it is worth it. These boats are for surfing not camping.
Which boat do you have 1450 in rears

RichM
10-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Which boat do you have 1450 in rears

2016 Mojo. Had 750s was gonna do 1100s but jumped all the way to 1450s. They take a long time to fill and longer to drain but well worth the wait. Have the 440 with the Nibral 15 x13. Pushes it full with no problem.

RichM
10-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Tried to post video but I am doing something wrong. Will try to figure out

BoneCrusher
10-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Thanks, I need to call my salesman. Do the 900 sacs fit in the stern compartments?

RichM
10-21-2016, 09:46 AM
Thanks, I need to call my salesman. Do the 900 sacs fit in the stern compartments?

The 900s fit but I would go to the 1100s minimum.

scottk1826
10-31-2016, 10:10 AM
You also need to play with the Auto Flow settings in the Vessel Settings screen on the LCD display menu. Depending on whether you surf on the port side (what is generally called the regular side because surfers have their left foot forward on the board and face the wave) or the starboard side (generally called the goofy side because the surfers have their right foot forward), you can change those percentages to adjust the surf plate's down draft which changes the shape of the wave on the applicable side. I have a Craz with the surf package (2500# total ballast) and I fill the entire ballast system full (both 650# rears and the 1200# center/front) to get the tallest wave, then move the majority of the extra people to the surf side, and the minority number of the other people opposite the surf side and closer to the front of the cockpit. We usually have 4 to 6 people in our boat, and most of us surf goofy footed (right foot forward on the starboard side), so we have two or three people (majority) sit on the passenger seats behind the driver on the starboard side, and the other 1-2 people (minority) sit across from them on the port side. The center wake plate setting is 50% up and the starboard setting for the Auto Flow surf system is at 75%. If I have only 3 people in the boat, I will fill an extra 400# ballast bag that I put under the passenger seat behind the driver to make the boat lean more to the starboard side. I have twin boys that surf regular footed, so when they come home from college to surf, I set the port side Auto Flow to 60% and put all people on the port side of the boat to create more lean on the port side, then change the center wake plate setting from 100% all the way up to 50% (half way up) dependent on how tall they want their wave. Dependent on which side you surf, you will need to move the Auto Flow surf switch to the side the surfer is on to activate the surf system correctly. As others have said, more weight in the stern lockers usually helps, but I have had my boat so full of people before, that I had to let water out of the rear bags to get the wave to shape up. I think each boat has its own sweet spot so work with the settings until you find your perfect wave.

sbarfoot
02-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Agree with this. I run stock bags full back and bow and with wakeplate all the way up and people distributed evenly on side you are surfing have a nice wake and push. 11mph