PDA

View Full Version : FAE on the 6.2 Raptor

mattsask
10-11-2016, 04:34 PM
I'm strongly considering adding an FAE on my craz over the winter. I've been told by a few people, including my dealer, that FAE isn't really needed with these new engines. My primary reason to add it is for noise reduction and I know it does make a huge difference on the older boats.
I'm looking for some feedback from the guys who have added it to this raptor engine. Was there a big improvement in noise reduction? Would you do it again?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

dusty2221
10-11-2016, 05:09 PM
If Larry has it figured out for your boat...

DO IT DO IT DO IT.

Him and I went thru 5 versions for my SE, so I got to experience back to back days/weekends with and without it, I was so happy when we finally got it right. Absolutely worth it. I know of a Mojo that has one waiting to be installed, hoping to find out shortly if it is dialed in and fits 1st go around soon.

http://i.imgur.com/ULZDyVm.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/zYKJvNA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/B8uWNYx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PINkhJr.jpg

KG's Supra24
10-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Mojo test fit soon!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

mattsask
10-11-2016, 05:59 PM
That's encouraging. I've read a few other guys reporting only 10-20% noise reduction on the newer boats.

dusty2221
10-11-2016, 06:08 PM
I'd love to see the noise charts they base those % off of! I'll say this, I noticed the Raptor being quieter initially when weighted and was impressed, but when sacked out it roars.

MJHSupra
10-11-2016, 08:25 PM
I'd love to see the noise charts they base those % off of! I'll say this, I noticed the Raptor being quieter initially when weighted and was impressed, but when sacked out it roars.

Too funny. I can see someone hanging off the back of the boat with the latest iPhone dB Meter App. Official data!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattsask
10-11-2016, 09:34 PM
The same guys were saying that the engine noise inside the boat is louder. Some suggested that the OHC makes the engine noise inside the boat louder which made the effects of the FAE less noticeable. I don't know how much truth there is to this theory though.

Woody929
10-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Mojo test fit soon!

Alright Kyle, let us know how it goes. You're my guinea pig.

When we put the FAE on our LSV my wife looked at the box and said "why did you spend money on that?" A few weeks in she said "start saving now, because I don't ever want another boat without one"

The dealer said the same thing as others have mentioned.. "with these new engines, you don't need one of those things" My response was, "have you ever been in a boat with one?" They responded "no". I then told him "until you have, your opinion on this doesn't count"

lsupcar
10-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Mojo test fit soon!

Any update?

KG's Supra24
10-20-2016, 11:52 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161021/bb342d69707f9ebac5493ec03f20feaa.jpg

Nothing more than that

csm
10-21-2016, 09:11 AM
So the new ones actually bolt/screw into the transom rather than use hose clamps?

dusty2221
10-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Correct. :)

lsupcar
10-21-2016, 09:27 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161021/bb342d69707f9ebac5493ec03f20feaa.jpg

Nothing more than that

Looks good and looks like mine. I am wondering if any dimensional changes have been made since mine was produced.
I am especially interested in how yours fits on the exhaust outlet and how close the FAE flange comes to the exhaust outlet screw location.
Thanks.
Bill

mattsask
10-21-2016, 01:43 PM
I've tried contacting fae twice via email and once on the phone. Zero response. Does anyone know if they have made one for a craz yet? Has anyone else had this much trouble with communication?

lsupcar
10-21-2016, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=mattsask;297940]I've tried contacting fae twice via email and once on the phone. Zero response. Does anyone know if they have made one for a craz yet? Has anyone else had this much trouble with communication?

Sent from my SM
No and yes.
They are very nice and helpful when you do get in touch, but...
Also, I know of no secret communication channel either. They will eventually get back to you. I think they travel for business some, and get totally involved in one project or another, at the expense of other things.

mattsask
10-23-2016, 02:42 PM
If Larry has it figured out for your boat...

DO IT DO IT DO IT.

Him and I went thru 5 versions for my SE, so I got to experience back to back days/weekends with and without it, I was so happy when we finally got it right. Absolutely worth it. I know of a Mojo that has one waiting to be installed, hoping to find out shortly if it is dialed in and fits 1st go around soon.

http://i.imgur.com/ULZDyVm.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/zYKJvNA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/B8uWNYx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PINkhJr.jpg
Hey dusty, I finally got a reply from fae! They sent me a couple pics of your setup and said it would be similar. They recommend the side mount option for my craz. Is that what you have or is the plug brace called something different?

mmandley
10-24-2016, 06:15 AM
We had this same discussion in 13 when I put one on the Mojo with the Surf Engine.

People who don't exactly understand exhaust emissions make claims they shouldn't.

The Cat on a boat does the same as your car. It lowers emissions at idle, over idle cars burn clean enough we don't really need them. This is why most states only test idle emissions.

What a Cat doesn't do is stop all emissions, carbon monoxide is what kills people and even in small doses it's dangerous. This is were the FAE really helps

This is why you get the FAE to push this gas under water deeper.

Yes newer boats with turn down pipes help this issue but not as well as an FAE.

ybarbo17
11-01-2016, 08:52 PM
i just put one on my 15 mondo and when surfing we dont see the smoke come up anymore and its noticeably quieter, but when were cruising around 25 and you hammer it you can still hear the engine roar!! and we usually are on the back seat/ laying on the lockers and none of us have gotten headaches /dizzy feelings since!
i would defiantly recommend it! id up load a few pics but i cant figure out how to:confused:

BrettLee3232
11-01-2016, 11:21 PM
i just put one on my 15 mondo and when surfing we dont see the smoke come up anymore and its noticeably quieter, but when were cruising around 25 and you hammer it you can still hear the engine roar!! and we usually are on the back seat/ laying on the lockers and none of us have gotten headaches /dizzy feelings since!
i would defiantly recommend it! id up load a few pics but i cant figure out how to:confused:

#tapatalk bro [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lsupcar
11-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Yes, pics please. Especially the flange connection.
Thanks.
Bill

ybarbo17
11-05-2016, 06:55 AM

this was in the process,so ignore the 3M 5200 since pic its been tweaked to look consistent

lsupcar
11-08-2016, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the pics ybarbo17.
That is the kind of gap mine has.
I had a problem with the FAE rotating slightly around the oval screw slots.
FAE suggested I use 5200 as a remedy, but I was reluctant for fear of having difficulty removing the FAE in the future if needed.
I was hoping the design had been updated allowing the FAE flange to sit flush on the exhaust output.
When was your FAE produced? Have you had it installed long? Have you had any rotational issues?
Thanks.

ybarbo17
11-10-2016, 07:51 AM
yeah i used it for the majority of the gap, almost impossible to get the very bottom of it.
i had to up grade the screws to the next bigger size once i did i haven't had it shift or move on me and ive put about 10 hours on it since then,
before i did that 45 mins in it was shifting
honestly im not sure when i was produced, Larry was telling me that if keep having problems we'd go to a different design... i wanted to take the boat out again before i give him a call and we have go down a different path design but so far it seems to be good!

lsupcar
11-10-2016, 04:37 PM
yeah i used it for the majority of the gap, almost impossible to get the very bottom of it.
i had to up grade the screws to the next bigger size once i did i haven't had it shift or move on me and ive put about 10 hours on it since then,
before i did that 45 mins in it was shifting
honestly im not sure when i was produced, Larry was telling me that if keep having problems we'd go to a different design... i wanted to take the boat out again before i give him a call and we have go down a different path design but so far it seems to be good!
Thanks for the info.
To clarify, did it stop shifting once you applied the 5200 or when you installed the bigger screws? By bigger screws, do you mean longer or larger diameter?
And did you apply the 5200 into the gap after it was otherwise installed, or did you apply it to the two mating surfaces and then what is now visible squeezed out when the FAE was installed?

ybarbo17
11-11-2016, 03:01 AM
when i first installed it i just put enough of it in the crack, not alot maybe enough to fill the gap but after i installed the bigger screws i went ahead and put even more of the 5200 around it like in the pic i shared (3/3) its about double the amount now. and for screw size in the package they came with a size 12 screw and after we talked he suggest go with next size 14 screw which is thicker and a little longer yes!
and i applied the 5200 after i bolted it up made sure everything was good first!

lsupcar
11-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Thanks.
Keep us updated if you have anything new to report.

I'm still hoping to hear KG's Supra24's report.

dusty2221
11-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Lol, don't hold your breath on him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That Guy
11-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Bump for any updates.....I'll be patiently awaiting a GB hopefully in the spring. I had a FAE on my previous boat and Larry was great in getting me completely taken care of, and it was a completely different boat once I got it on right.

ybarbo17
12-16-2016, 04:52 AM
hey guys just giving a update we have been out 3 times since my last post and everything seems to still be great, only downside is when surfing seems to be a tad more sensitive when driving but other then that its been great! put prob 20-25 ish hours on it now