PDA

View Full Version : How to get ALL of the water out (weird drain location)

Darter
10-10-2016, 02:27 PM
When trying to get all of the water out of the boat for winter layup, I was surprised to find no rear drain plug. The center plug isn't at the lowest point of the hull, so I took it back to the boat ramp to get the bow higher. The problem though is that just gets the stern lower than the drain plug. Either way, there's no getting all of the water out by gravity alone.

With my boat I'm not sure if there's enough dead space below the ski locker to safely cut a hole for vacuuming out the water, or do I just install a plug through the transom?

For this year, my daughter mopped up the bilge with rags while I moved the boat up and down the ramp to get the water to where she could reach it under the front of the motor. There's gotta be a better way!

CruisinFJ60
10-10-2016, 03:10 PM
I trailer to and from the water and I leave the plug out when not at the lake, typically the drive home gets all but a tiny bit out.

Darter
10-10-2016, 04:57 PM
I happened to try this on my way back to the ramp and then back to home. Got some out, but perhaps that trip just isn't long enough (only 2 miles or so one way) and only one hill up and down.

Darter
10-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Oh, and welcome to the forum, CruisinFJ60!

996scott
10-10-2016, 05:06 PM
on my 07 LSV the deepest part of the hull is under the gas tank in the middle of the boat. It is the dumbest design flaw ever for a boat. It absolutely makes no sense to me how they could have designed it that way. :mad: It doesn't matter how high my bow is on a ramp or jacked up it will not drain the water to the back of the boat to drain out. So occasionally I will remove the 2 floor panels and use a shop vac to suck up the water. It isn't a ton of water but the problem is it get kind of nasty smelling after a couple of months! I looked at putting in a drain directly under the gas tank but the tracking fins are in the way. So my solution is a shop vac with a small hose you can use.

MJHSupra
10-10-2016, 07:48 PM
For winter layup, I use shop vac and some towels at the very end of the process.

Then I usually let everything air-out for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darter
10-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Then I usually let everything air-out for a few days.

I think next season I should winterize over two weekends so it has a week to air dry between mopping and vacuuming out the water the first weekend and covering for the winter the second.

5:00
10-11-2016, 02:05 PM
For winter layup, I use shop vac and some towels at the very end of the process.

Same for me. I use the shop vac after a weekend of watersports also but no towels. I hate leaving water in the hulls, on top of the bags and so on.

5:00
10-11-2016, 02:10 PM
The best I have donefor winterization is to use the West Marine dehumidifier, vacuum out all of the water, lift all of the seat cushions and a nicely vented cover. The dehumidifier was the real key for me. No smell, no condensation.

http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/full/7867518.jpg