PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter for 2003 Moomba Outback

quincy
09-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi Folks,

So having the same problem that is seems many folks are having in regards to Moomba stalling when trying to put in gear. Idles at about 2k, then she stalls. Put new plugs in, still doing it. So trying to understand if my 5.7 Indmar has water/fuel separator or is it just inline fuel filter? Where the heck is it located? Back with the gas tank or on the engine? I see something that looks like it could be filter or is it the fuel pump.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated y'all.

Cheers,

Quincy

Darter
09-26-2016, 01:58 PM
FWIW, my 2004 mobius ls has the inline filter in the trunk. Pull the aft panel off and it's right above the gas tank.

However, the symptoms you describe wouldn't lead me to the filter. In my case, it would stumble when trying to get a lot of fuel, such as hard acceleration or WOT.

trayson
09-26-2016, 02:38 PM
take a look at the plug wires and distributor cap/rotor.

quincy
09-28-2016, 01:08 PM
ok well replaced the plugs...fuel filter has never been replaced but I only have 167 hours on this puppy. So you thinking a crack in distributor cap/rotor? She turns over fine...but as soon as I drop the RPM down to put in gear...or low idle. It stalls. :(

trayson
09-28-2016, 01:44 PM
ok well replaced the plugs...fuel filter has never been replaced but I only have 167 hours on this puppy. So you thinking a crack in distributor cap/rotor? She turns over fine...but as soon as I drop the RPM down to put in gear...or low idle. It stalls. :(

your boat is a 2003. Mine is a 2008. I found that my distributor cap and rotor had a TON of corrosion. likewise my plug wires had broke done and/or had some corrosion. so current wasn't making it from the coil to the plugs. gave me all sorts of problems with hesitation, studdering, etc.

so while you may have low hours, the calendar time has passed and it's most certainly worth looking at cap/rotor/plugs.

quincy
09-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks Trayson,

Being that the boat is 13 years old, any recommendations on where to get new wires, cap and rotor? My original wires are Indmar, but sure can get aftermarket? Comments?

Much appreciated.

Quincy

trayson
09-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks Trayson,

Being that the boat is 13 years old, any recommendations on where to get new wires, cap and rotor? My original wires are Indmar, but sure can get aftermarket? Comments?

Much appreciated.

Quincy

I just went to my local auto parts store for the cap/rotor. It would have been nice to have found something with brass contacts, but it wasn't available. and for $25, I didn't stress because it would be easy to change them out every few years.

As far as plug wires, the automotive wires would work fine, but aren't always the lengths that would work for us best. I ended up going with the wires from Indmar that were designed for my motor. they were the right lengths, numbered on each end, and came already clipped together. And the coil wire was short as it should be for the run I had there. Also, it's a really tight fit between one side of the distributor cap and the intake manifold, so I needed to have 90 degree terminations on the cap for that bank of wires. They were expensive ($100), but the convenience and perfect fit were worth it in the end.

www.skidim.com has a great selection of the marine items. Their prices are just okay. I got my wires from Bakes.

Some have made their own plug wires, but that wasn't something I was interested in taking on.

zabooda
09-28-2016, 02:47 PM
I would also replace the fuel filter.

trayson
09-29-2016, 07:15 PM
I would also replace the fuel filter.

agreed. I think my fuel filter was $13. and maybe a 5 minute job to swap it out. Silly not to replace it.

jmvotto
09-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Filter is most likely the problem, start there. Napa auto parts

smokeysevin
09-30-2016, 05:26 PM
If the filter on yours is anything like mine, its a 1/2" or 5/8" Fitting which was a pain to find. Oreilly's ended up having it.

I am replacing it with a water separator from CP Performance when it comes in since the filter was a zinc coated steel one and I have my doubts about its durability in salt water.

Sean

trayson
09-30-2016, 05:40 PM
If the filter on yours is anything like mine, its a 1/2" or 5/8" Fitting which was a pain to find. Oreilly's ended up having it.

I am replacing it with a water separator from CP Performance when it comes in since the filter was a zinc coated steel one and I have my doubts about its durability in salt water.

Sean

Right. No one had the 1/2" tubing fuel filter in stock. But my goto parts store was able to get one from the warehouse before the end of the day.

fu-man
10-03-2016, 09:30 PM
I have the same boat. Had the same issues when I got mine 3 years ago at 180 hrs. Replaced distibutor cap and all was good. However your initial post said it idles at 2k. That is way too high. Shifting in and out of gear will be really rough if it is that high. It is even a little rough if idles around 1k. It should idle at about 650rpm. Can't remember where I read that. Maybe the manual, maybe here. You might need to adjust the idle screw on the carb (if it is carb).

Kennyk69
10-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Try Amazon for the filter - WIX 33299 / $12

quincy
10-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Hi Trayson,

So you were bang on...found inline filter...my god...in the worse place possible to work with...under block...not a lot of play with fuel lines...for my boat was a 3/8"...part from NAPA was a 1/2" :( needless to say another run back to the part store. But even after replacing fuel filter...(haven't cut it open yet but for sure in original...) it still was stalling out. Replaced the cap..which was totally corroded as you stated...and the rotor was seized on the distributor...once all replaced...she idles wonderfully.

thanks again for all your help and all other replies!!

Cheers!!

Quincy

trayson
10-09-2016, 12:49 PM
fantastic. glad to hear it.