PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first Moomba! Want to surf! Need stuff! Tips?

GregInKS
09-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Ok so I got a 2007 mobius LSV with 99 hours! It has stock G3, wakeplate, etc... I am wanting to surf and have a wakeboarding background. I have looked at upgrades like:

910lb rear bags - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and-moomba-750-rear-upgrade.html
ballast system upgrade - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moomba-ballast-system-upgrade.html
1433 prop - https://www.wakemakers.com/acme-1433-propeller.html
wake gate - prolly ghetto
monster cargo bimini (I know about the z5 but out of my league at this time I think)
surf boards (a good all around board)

My question is what am I going to need and what order should I do things?
We have kids from 13y-1y also.

Thanks!!!

snyderaaron
09-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Nice.

My thoughts
Get the 1100lb rear bags
1433 a good prop
wake gate=yes
IBS for the front

costanza
09-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Ok so I got a 2007 mobius LSV with 99 hours! It has stock G3, wakeplate, etc... I am wanting to surf and have a wakeboarding background. I have looked at upgrades like:

910lb rear bags - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and-moomba-750-rear-upgrade.html
ballast system upgrade - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moomba-ballast-system-upgrade.html
1433 prop - https://www.wakemakers.com/acme-1433-propeller.html
wake gate - prolly ghetto
monster cargo bimini (I know about the z5 but out of my league at this time I think)
surf boards (a good all around board)

My question is what am I going to need and what order should I do things?
We have kids from 13y-1y also.

Thanks!!!
Hey there, I have a 2013 LSV.. I have 1100's in rear and IBS up front as well...
First thing to try is to make a Suction cup gate (Suckgate). It works amazing!! Since I've been using mine I only fill my 1100's up about half way, and front IBS 75-100 % full and speed of 11mph... This seems to be best wake so far for us. I found that reducing my rear sacs made it a better surf wave for my family. It also depends on how many people and weight in boat.

The reason I say get suckg8 setup first is this may get you by without needing anything else other than IBS up front. I have standard prop on mine, and it lacks power when everything is full and lots of passengers, but I no longer need to fill all sacs to surf, so it works fine now...
My 12 and 10 year old girls ride a P5 Scamp. Both have gotten quite good this year, so I'm looking at a soulcraft for them now, as they both want to try competing next year. I'm 200+ , and only 5'9" and have a Soulcraft built for me by Jeff and it's seriously amazing. My wife is about 135 (she'll tell you 120) and she rides a P5 Daniello Diamond and loves it. P5 scamp for kids will run you under 300 I think.

The only upgrade I would recommend for now is the IBS, the rest you can likely surf great with stock in rears with the suckg8. It's cheap to try this out before spending more.

New bimini and prop are nice, but not have to's for surfing. Hey, if money is no object, have at er...

Enjoy the new boat, and good luck getting it dialed in!!! Keep us posted how it goes. My boat is out for the season... Season is so short in Canada!! :sad:

GregInKS
09-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info so far! Keep it coming please!
Can someone link me some 1100's and what I would need to make those work?

996scott
09-25-2016, 09:56 PM
So many of these upgrades are great but it just depends how much you want to spend. a lot of people go with the 1100lb bags in the rear locker, i went with the 750s because 1100 just seems too big for those lockers but they seem to work for a lot of people. Definitely make a suck gate. For less than $50 you get a great upgrade, and they are easy to make. An IBS in the bow is also a helpful. I upgraded to the 1433 prop and it is nice, but you certainly don't have to have it. I also did the pump upgrade you have a link to and it is great but again, not a must have. I've don't a lot of these upgrades little by little.

GregInKS
09-26-2016, 03:02 AM
So many of these upgrades are great but it just depends how much you want to spend. a lot of people go with the 1100lb bags in the rear locker, i went with the 750s because 1100 just seems too big for those lockers but they seem to work for a lot of people. Definitely make a suck gate. For less than $50 you get a great upgrade, and they are easy to make. An IBS in the bow is also a helpful. I upgraded to the 1433 prop and it is nice, but you certainly don't have to have it. I also did the pump upgrade you have a link to and it is great but again, not a must have. I've don't a lot of these upgrades little by little.

Thanks! Maybe hitting the middle with the 910's would work well? If you go to the link I have in there and put in 2007 Mobius LSV the only option it gives is 910's...

Farmerdes
09-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Hey, great boat! Same as ours, we pretty much only surf ours now. I reckon the prop is a must, makes the boat more drivable and stays on plane better in turns. Some sort of gate is essential, we have the 1100's but I think you could get away with smaller. Although it does surf better with 10 onboard and all the bags full, using a gate. If you do go 1100, you'll only last a season with stock pumps if you have goofy surfers in the crew!! Go hard mate!!

volfan705
09-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Hey, great boat! Same as ours, we pretty much only surf ours now. I reckon the prop is a must, makes the boat more drivable and stays on plane better in turns. Some sort of gate is essential, we have the 1100's but I think you could get away with smaller. Although it does surf better with 10 onboard and all the bags full, using a gate. If you do go 1100, you'll only last a season with stock pumps if you have goofy surfers in the crew!! Go hard mate!!

I have a 2007 Mobius XLV with G3 system. I went with the 1100 rear bags and the suck gate.. it made the world of difference. I found with the smaller bags and lots of people and suck gate awesome wake however when only a few on the boat those big bags are some welcome. Had a friend say he has been on quite a few surf boats and has never seen such a large wake when its dialed in correct. I still have the stock prop and no issues at all.. typically never run over 3350 rpms. I assume you have a front bag with the G3 system. this weight is a huge plus to extend the area you surf farther from the boat. We can at times get 15 feet from the boat and ride.

Flee27
09-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Assuming they fit (which it sounds like they will) why not get the 1100s. The cost difference is negligible and if you don't need them just don't fill them. Much better then figuring out later you wish you had a few more pounds back there.

Just like everyone says, you really have to experiment. Set up definitely isn't a set up and forget kind of thing. Everything (people on board, water conditions/depth, day of the week) changes the wave and what works best. Lots of experimenting will gain you the knowledge you need to now what direction to go when things aren't to your riders liking. It still surprises me what moving 50-100 lbs around will do to your wave.

Good luck and enjoy. Surfing is awesome.

Foster

snyderaaron
09-27-2016, 01:58 PM
I always say you can always fill your 1100 up to 750, but you cant fill your 750 up to 1100!!

Leebo
09-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Just my $.02 but the first 4 are required:

1100s (and the engine divider panel savers)
IBS
FAE (surprised this wasn't mentioned)
SuckG8

1433 Prop (check the don't kill your engine threads if you add the ballast above)

Ballast Pump upgrade. It's a time/money thing - you can use the stock GIII but it takes a long time to fill/drain. I added 3 Johnsons and kept the GIII to run the stock bags (under side seats and in ski locker)

Dual battery w/ VSR?

HDPE swim platform (not everyone thinks it's necessary- I did it and can see where it would dig in if the original platform were still there)

Wakemakers Black Friday Sale is coming! If you can't wait, get the code.

GregInKS
10-02-2016, 02:50 AM
Thanks all for the info. I got her home and it actually fits in the 82.5" garage with some air let out of the tires :)
I have a suck gate ready and will be getting a monster bimini rack because that is the first thing the wife would want for the kids.
I think I will take it out and see how it surfs as is and go from there.

snyderaaron
10-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks all for the info. I got her home and it actually fits in the 82.5" garage with some air let out of the tires :)
I have a suck gate ready and will be getting a monster bimini rack because that is the first thing the wife would want for the kids.
I think I will take it out and see how it surfs as is and go from there.

If your having problems getting it in the garage also consider a drop hitch.

5:00
10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
When you finally go out and use that SuckG8 don't just start surfing. It is well worth time getting it tuned in before you put someone in the water just to find it is no good. Make adjustments with wake plate, speed (between 9-11 MPH), SurfG8 positioning and move your meat bags (people) around while watching the wave. Even when it looks great it may have no push for instance but just keep adjusting. Check what others with your boat have done as far as how much to fill, list if any, wake plate position, weight up front and so on. You will get used to it before it is time to put it away hopefully. Write down what you did so you have it for next season.

mikepo26
12-08-2016, 10:24 AM
I have an 08 lsv and am looking to wake surf next year. I had plans for a home made surf gate in my computer but I can not find them. it might have ben a link to another boat manufactuers forum. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys!!

12-08-2016, 11:44 AM
I only have a template I created for the "blade" that is generic. It doesn't include the cut out a the bottom or the part for the handle. Those things depend on which handle you use. It will give you some idea of what to do. If you print it this should be 7" across the bottom and 9" high. This is what I use but there are plenty of other shapes and sizes being used.

Also take a look at this thread. There is a ton of info found here. It gets more refined as people try new things at the end of the posts but read through it one night and you will get the idea https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?27467-Anyone-seen-or-tried-Ronix-Wakesurf-Shaper-on-Moomba-boats

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/SuckG8.jpg

PuraVida
12-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Don't forget to reinforce the engine compartment with the upgraded bags. Wake makers sells a kit or you can get supplies from a hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
12-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Also take a look at this thread. There is a ton of info found here. It gets more refined as people try new things at the end of the posts but read through it one night and you will get the idea https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?27467-Anyone-seen-or-tried-Ronix-Wakesurf-Shaper-on-Moomba-boats

Go to page 30, post #297. Parts list. Works great.

twkoehn
12-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Definitely go with the Cosmos suction cup with the aluminum handle. Lots of other ones out there but from everything I read before I bought mine, this one has the most suction and therefore the most "staying power". I made my suckg8 at the end of last summer so I only got to use it once but with that suction cup I didn't have any problem with it moving. I also have an '07 Mobius LSV and can tell you the suckg8 made a world of difference in my wake even with the stock ballast. I am also in the process of upgrading to larger bags etc.

12-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Definitely go with the Cosmos suction cup with the aluminum handle.

X2 on that. Hasn't fallen off after MANY hours of use. I have a para cord leash on it just in case though.

KG's Supra24
12-15-2016, 02:32 PM
I came across this on WW. Best looking one I've seen mass produced ...

https://nauticurl.com/

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42011&stc=1&d=1480699454

12-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Good find! Simple design at a fair price for what it is. Nice that it isn't made out of plastic.

twkoehn
01-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Are these the 1100 lb bags everyone is using the their 2006-2008 LSV's????

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-sac-2016.html

I have a 2007 Mobius LSV and I'm with Greg in that Wakemakers says they are to big for the lockers in my boat. The only option they give is the 910 lb upgrade. Those of you that have them, do they fit or are they indeed to big???? With the 20% sale right now, I'd be able to get one for each locker for $280 total. Seems like a pretty good deal if they fit.

sivs1
01-19-2017, 04:59 PM
I had 800's in my 2006 and they filled the locker.

mmandley
01-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Are these the 1100 lb bags everyone is using the their 2006-2008 LSV's????

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-sac-2016.html

I have a 2007 Mobius LSV and I'm with Greg in that Wakemakers says they are to big for the lockers in my boat. The only option they give is the 910 lb upgrade. Those of you that have them, do they fit or are they indeed to big???? With the 20% sale right now, I'd be able to get one for each locker for $280 total. Seems like a pretty good deal if they fit.

Yes those are the 1100 that you want to use, you will need to get them set just right to fill all the way, they will pop the doors a little when full. I would just drain it slightly. Also I highly recommend you brace the engine dividers as a lot of weight will warp them with the engine heat.

You will need to run some kind of nose weight other then just the ski locker bag other wise the boat will just have a super tall and short wave due to the nose being so high.

Let me know if you have other questions, I had my 08 LSV dialed in on the waves

twkoehn
01-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I actually already have the IBS, 750 bought during Wakemakers Black Friday sale, and the engine divider braces, also from Wakemakers. Was planning to install the IBS and just use meat bags in the back but the price of these bags is enticing me to go ahead and upgrade the rear bags as well.

SWELLwakesurf
03-24-2017, 05:48 PM
Here's a before and after pic of a 2005 LSV with our Wakesurf Creator, It makes a huge Difference! I'd also get some Wakeballast or Leadwake bags, i love them, easy to toss around depending on how many people in the boat to best tweak the wave.