PDA

View Full Version : Gopro Karma drone

jtatexc
09-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Anybody checked this out yet?looks pretty sweet! May be my Christmas present to myself this year if reviews hold up. Release date looks to be Oct 23rd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

NickBoj
09-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Yeah, seems like a killer deal! Drone, gimbal and a carrying backpack, all for $800. The drone is ultra compact and doesn't require a phone to operate it, and the gimbal looks great.

jtatexc
09-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Yup. I haven't look at it super hard yet but was hearing that the new hero5 is waterproof without a case. I really want a drone that will float though.

mcdye
09-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Was reading about it today.... Sparked my interest.

snyderaaron
09-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Does it have a follow mode?

NickBoj
09-21-2016, 05:40 PM

I don't think it does.

trayson
09-21-2016, 05:45 PM
I think it's a pretty good product, especially for those of us that already have a Hero 4 that we could use with it.

To get that $800 pricepoint, some compromises needed to be made. Certainly making it waterproof would have added a lot to the cost. It's not as technologically advanced as the Phantom 4, but it also beats the price and with the removable gimbal, you don't need to buy the Ozmo separately.

I really like the portability. I have an older Phantom 2 that I got used for a sweet deal, and the custom pelican case is HUGE for the copter, 3 batteries, remote with FPV screen, charger. It's like suitcase size--no joke. I'd love the Karma just for the portability. I'd probably take it on Vacation if I had something as small as the Karma. Not so with my Phantom 2.

I think they'll do well--especially with the crowd that already has invested in a hero4.

trayson
09-21-2016, 05:47 PM

No it doesn't. That said, I've played with the Phantom4 and the follow mode wasn't all that impressive. We tried to have it follow the boat and once we got above 10-15mph, it couldn't keep up--despite the fact that the drone can fly a LOT faster than that. We ultimately had to put the drone in Sport mode and fly it manually to get wakeboard footage.

snyderaaron
09-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Dang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtatexc
09-21-2016, 05:57 PM
No it doesn't. That said, I've played with the Phantom4 and the follow mode wasn't all that impressive. We tried to have it follow the boat and once we got above 10-15mph, it couldn't keep up--despite the fact that the drone can fly a LOT faster than that. We ultimately had to put the drone in Sport mode and fly it manually to get wakeboard footage.
Is this for sure? Reason I ask is the snowboarding footage I saw looked as though it was from a drone following and not a camera attached to the rider. I was just assuming it had a follow function. It may have just been great camera work and editing I don't know...

trayson
09-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Is this for sure? Reason I ask is the snowboarding footage I saw looked as though it was from a drone following and not a camera attached to the rider. I was just assuming it had a follow function. It may have just been great camera work and editing I don't know...

It has the ability to use 4 different preprogrammed flight paths that you can choose from. However, odds are that they got the footage with a good pilot taking the footage flying and following the rider manually.

5:00
09-22-2016, 10:42 AM
I have been scratch building my own multirotors for about four years now. This is the first commercial pre-built one that I am considering buying.
Trason listed most of the good points on this and they are impressive for the price point. I was interested in the gimball and when I saw that it comes with the multirotor I was pretty sold on the idea. Portability is huge on this one and not having to use your own phone is a huge plus.
It will fly about 10 MPH slower (but still over 30 MPH) than the Phantom 4 and unless they are saving it for the big reveal it doesn't have the follow me mode for sure which I think will really hurt their sales. I think that is a big mistake in today's market but like it was said, sacrifices needed to be made at this price.
I am on a Hero 2 (LOL) still so this is a big reason for me to upgrade to this decade's technology.

As far as floating that is another world. It adds a lot of cost and weight. We have been adding pool noodles to the landing gear for years. It only does any good if it is a controlled decent but it is better than nothing and keeps it from sinking. I have saved water soaked rotors with disassembly, a lot of compressed air and drying for days. My kid dunked one almost 4 years ago and it is still working.

I want to see the reviews after real people get their hands on one of these and see how they like it before laying down the money. I am about 90% in so far though.

09-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Just thought to check for no fly zones at the lake we use.

The diagonal lines are where helicopter landing pads may be present and I know exactly where it is. It is just a warning to look out for helicopters in that area, never seen one. The more solid at the bottom is near a tiny single runway airport with no tower. You have to report to them if you are flying in the zone. I am the blue dot in the center so really close. The red dot is where a guy keeps his sea plane. There are a few of those around and a flight path above the lake.

I was worried the whole thing would be a no fly zone because there is a nuclear power plant on the lake. It is good to check to be sure you don't fly where you shouldn't. They have some huge fines if you get caught.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/No-fly.jpg

trayson
09-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Just thought to check for no fly zones at the lake we use.

The diagonal lines are where helicopter landing pads may be present and I know exactly where it is. It is just a warning to look out for helicopters in that area, never seen one. The more solid at the bottom is near a tiny single runway airport with no tower. You have to report to them if you are flying in the zone. I am the blue dot in the center so really close. The red dot is where a guy keeps his sea plane. There are a few of those around and a flight path above the lake.

I was worried the whole thing would be a no fly zone because there is a nuclear power plant on the lake. It is good to check to be sure you don't fly where you shouldn't. They have some huge fines if you get caught.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/No-fly.jpg

I know with my Phantom 2 that I have to figure out what's fly and no-fly. However, with the Phantom 4, those no fly zones are all programmed into the drone's flight controller. We tried to fly the P4 at our boat launch and we were just close enough to PDX that it wouldn't let it fly. However, when we got out to my normal ride spot, it was cool to fly it.

The Karma has the built in no fly zones, so that's a great feature IMO.

There is an automatic one-button takeoff and landing function and built-in no-fly zones prevent the drone from flying into restricted areas. The Karma also flies back to you when it is out of range, loses connection or when the battery is low.

09-22-2016, 06:39 PM
With my scratch builts I have to pay attention to that stuff LOL. Glad you brought up the auto no fly stuff on the Phantom and the Karma. It is good you have a place to fly there.
I was in Portland last week for a convention and was amazed while flying in at how many ports there were and that PDX was right there. Good to hear all of those ports don't cause a problem for you. I was thinking about that when I saw you on this thread. At least you are up in WA a bit further away. Portland looks like one giant no fly zone.
Hoping that Karma is good. I really want one and with included Gimball (otherwise $300 on its own) it really makes it more of a $500 toy if you look at it that way. It almost pays for the price of the new 5. Ok, I am doing what I can to justify the price :)

trayson
09-22-2016, 06:57 PM
With my scratch builts I have to pay attention to that stuff LOL. Glad you brought up the auto no fly stuff on the Phantom and the Karma. It is good you have a place to fly there.
I was in Portland last week for a convention and was amazed while flying in at how many ports there were and that PDX was right there. Good to hear all of those ports don't cause a problem for you. I was thinking about that when I saw you on this thread. At least you are up in WA a bit further away. Portland looks like one giant no fly zone.
Hoping that Karma is good. I really want one and with included Gimball (otherwise $300 on its own) it really makes it more of a $500 toy if you look at it that way. It almost pays for the price of the new 5. Ok, I am doing what I can to justify the price :)

Well, then it should be even easier for me to jusify the price since I already own a GoPro 4 silver... (and of course, I could factor in selling my Phantom 2, LOL)

As far as our no fly zones, I know that it wouldn't let us fly the P4 at my boat launch because it was within 5 miles of PDX. (boat launch = red circle)

However, it would let us fly in our normal ride spot, which was further than 5 miles from PDX, but looking at the map, it is within 5 miles of the little private Pearson Airport in Vancouver (they fly little private prop planes there). However, the P4 software let us fly, so we did. Our "ride spot" is the red line on the back side of Hayden Island.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/NoFly_zpsc1y46syq.jpg

09-22-2016, 07:14 PM
That circle on the left centers around Fort Vancouver. It is a total no fly zone in the center but only over the fort.
This is a really good interactive map. It lets you click on things and it will tell you what the status of the area is and why it is a no fly or warning zone. I am guessing that upper circle is one of those where you can fly but need to tell the tower? PDX is a whole different game but it appears the same on both maps.
http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

If it weren't for that dike I could have seen your launch site from the airport.

trayson
09-23-2016, 12:40 PM
That circle on the left centers around Fort Vancouver. It is a total no fly zone in the center but only over the fort.
This is a really good interactive map. It lets you click on things and it will tell you what the status of the area is and why it is a no fly or warning zone. I am guessing that upper circle is one of those where you can fly but need to tell the tower? PDX is a whole different game but it appears the same on both maps.

If it weren't for that dike I could have seen your launch site from the airport.

Yeah Fort Vancouver is under the category of a National park (National Historic Site actually). The circle around it isn't because of the fort though, because national parks are only 250 feet perimeter from what I understand. immediately adjacent to Fort Vancouver is the small Pearson Airfield where little private prop planes fly out of. I guess We're supposed to call that airfield if we fly within 5 miles.

Yeah, we used to ride literally beside the airport, between Government Island and Marine drive, just west of the 205 bridge. But sometimes the depth went under 10' and that's just too shallow for my comfort level (and a good surf wave).

saskyrider
09-23-2016, 09:13 PM
I have the Litchi app for my phantom pro 3 and it works amazing in follow me mode.. way better than the DJI app. It basically turns a phantom 3 into a 4 minus the extra power...

I took some footage before I had that app this summer and had some fun.. flying it off the back of the boat.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

jtatexc
09-23-2016, 10:39 PM
I too am gonna wait and see what actual people's reviews look like and next spring I should have a much better idea if I want it or not and with what options

09-26-2016, 11:41 AM
I found a couple of videos of those lucky enough to play with one. I am still at 90% will buy at this point. It looks like there a few kinks still but it is still in beta or at least pre-production. It looks like there are a decent bit of features that aren't mentioned on the GoPro site from what I can tell.

This is a really nice review. The Passenger app looks really awesome! You can control the Karma while someone else controls the camera. No flight on this video for some reason but the next video below does have flight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuuQr_mCyaQ

Fast forward to 3:30 if you want to skip the part about unrelated cameras.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf16mp6Nbh8

Gqjeff
09-26-2016, 01:05 PM
What sucks about having to use the 4 is you can not use a housing. So if you dipped it you may lose the karma and for sure your gopro. So I would be bummed to lose 1300 since I have the 4 black.. That is def a design flaw not making the 4 able to use a waterproof housing.

09-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Then there is the Mavic from DJI which will be launched tomorrow. This will be interesting.http://www.mobipicker.com/dji-mavic-spotted-teaser-video-foldable-drone-launch-sept-27/

trayson
09-26-2016, 01:42 PM
What sucks about having to use the 4 is you can not use a housing. So if you dipped it you may lose the karma and for sure your gopro. So I would be bummed to lose 1300 since I have the 4 black.. That is def a design flaw not making the 4 able to use a waterproof housing.

I can't use a housing on my Phantom 2, and that was designed to take the 3+ and also takes the 4. Not sure why someone would expect a non-waterproof drone need to accept a waterproof housing...

Like we've been saying above, to get the Karma to its pricepoint, it's not waterproof. it'd cost a decent amount more to make it so. Most aren't going to use it like we're wanting to.

09-26-2016, 02:24 PM
I can't use a housing on my Phantom 2, and that was designed to take the 3+ and also takes the 4. Not sure why someone would expect a non-waterproof drone need to accept a waterproof housing...

I think he was saying if the 4 were in a waterproof housing and the quad with its 4 went in the water at least the 4 would survive with no problems.

trayson
09-26-2016, 02:36 PM
I think he was saying if the 4 were in a waterproof housing and the quad with its 4 went in the water at least the 4 would survive with no problems.

Yeah, I get that. I guess it's the risk taken by flying a drone with a gopro. So far I haven't taken my phantom 2 over water...

09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
So far I haven't taken my phantom 2 over water...

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/67577261.jpg

trayson
09-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Well, after crashing my P2 into a tree and breaking a prop, I am still not 100% confident that it's back to perfect mechanical operation. Also got some grit in an engine that I cleaned out, but I've got some vertical play one of the engine shafts, so I'm not sure if that's an issue or not. I need a non-windy day to test out the new propellers. I did get a new motor, but that requires disassembly and soldering. So it hasn't been high on the priority list.

Not to mention that my P2 in the pelican case is freaking huge. like a big suitcase. So my toy had been sitting for a while.

09-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Just pulling your chain. I know what you mean. I have crashed mine plenty of times. The worst is sometimes they just decide "I'm done" and just zoom off quickly. I have always been able to pull them back but it is a fight.
I really want to pull the trigger on something for next season. Plenty of time to wait at this point.

trayson
09-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Just pulling your chain. I know what you mean. I have crashed mine plenty of times. The worst is sometimes they just decide "I'm done" and just zoom off quickly. I have always been able to pull them back but it is a fight.
I really want to pull the trigger on something for next season. Plenty of time to wait at this point.

Yeah, I got my P2 for crazy cheap (I bought it used with 2 extra batteries, a screen and all the FPV items and the 2d gimbal, including a gopro 3+ black which I turned around and resold because I already had a 4 silver). So even as "cheap" as the Karma is, it's a huge bump more expensive than my P2.

09-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Sweet. I know there are plenty of accessories needed for the DJI's so its a good thing you got that deal. That is one of the things I like about the Karma package, it is mostly all there. I know it can't compare feature and performance wise to a P4 but there are other advantages. I want to see what the new DJI will offer tomorrow!

jtatexc
09-27-2016, 08:22 AM
The thing that I'm hoping to be true about the Karma is the ability to deal with more wind than the other brands. I have a couple buddies with different drones and they get nervous when trying to fly them over the lake when super windy. The Karma is advertising as a bit more stable

09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Watching the live launch of the Mavic. Wow looks really amazing and the price point is on point.
$749 without the RC but can still control locally with a smart phone.
$999 with the controller
$1,300 for the Pro with controller, bag, car charger and so on.

Using a lot of visual navigation controls rather than just GPS and accelerometers. Following uses visual camera images for follow rather than GPS and shooting in the direction. It can do patterns with tracking as well. This thing is really small, surprisingly small.

This is looking really great so far at that price point especially. I think I may be switching sides? Just missing the removable gimbal and camera but that is not their style.

trayson
09-27-2016, 01:13 PM
damn. they're both really pushing the envelope! Love it. The Mavic is pretty rad for sure.

I really don't know what I'd choose if I was ready to buy. I think for the time being, I'll be limping along with my generations old P2. LOL.

09-28-2016, 12:16 PM
I have been asking a few questions with their presale support and it is all looking good so far. They really get back quick. I am up to at least 95% :)

trayson
09-28-2016, 12:25 PM
I have been asking a few questions with their presale support and it is all looking good so far. They really get back quick. I am up to at least 95% :)

Which company?

wolfeman131
09-28-2016, 12:54 PM

I thought the same of the folks selling the Lily drone. Every month the ship date gets pushed back another month . . . .

Gqjeff
09-28-2016, 12:54 PM

Correct, 799 would be a bad loss but 1499 when u throw in the good memory card would REALLY SUCK lol...

09-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Which company?

DJI
more text to post

09-28-2016, 01:44 PM
I thought the same of the folks selling the Lily drone. Every month the ship date gets pushed back another month . . . .

Wow they are getting toward a year late I believe.

09-28-2016, 04:34 PM
I couldn't resist any longer and I pulled the trigger on the Mavic. Not sure what I was thinking, I never pre-order ANYTHING! Really looking forward to getting this thing. I won't have it in time for any boating shots but it will give me time to practice. I am looking forward to trying the profile follow for surfing.

trayson
09-28-2016, 04:49 PM
I couldn't resist any longer and I pulled the trigger on the Mavic. Not sure what I was thinking, I never pre-order ANYTHING! Really looking forward to getting this thing. I won't have it in time for any boating shots but it will give me time to practice. I am looking forward to trying the profile follow for surfing.

So what options are you going to use? I assume you'll get the controller? I think that whole deal were you can fly it with just an app sounds sketchy. are you getting extra batteries or anything?

09-28-2016, 05:35 PM
I got the Pro Fly More Package. It is the loaded package and I figure I would end up buying that stuff anyway. I don't want the carry bag (almost the price of a battery) but the rest makes sense. It has a multi charge port, car DC adapter, extra battery (who doesn't need that), extra set of props and some other plastic piece that I am not sure of its purpose but I think it is a gimbal lock. I will hold off on a third battery until I see how much I will really use it. Three would give me about 1.5 hours total fly time. Charge time is 1 hour so if I had three there would always be a battery at the ready. Of course I would never charge a hot battery LOL. I will wait for spring for that.

It includes the controller with this one. I have extra phones doing nothing so if I want I can use one of those as long as I don't need any real time features like unlocking zones, streaming live to FB and so on. I have a hot spot if I need and I can always just use my regular phone or a tablet. The tablet wouldn't fit but we have our ways right?
Using the phone for control is bit sketch I agree. It is local via WiFi I believe. That is good for doing very local flying where it basically isn't leaving your side. Kind of cool if you don't want to carry a controller but with the controller having a multi mile capable transceiver I am going with that for extra insurance. I have flown a multirotor, one of the Parrots, using a phone just the way it looks on the DJI app screen and it is really strange. My fingers would go beyond where the control surface is if you panicked and so on. In the assisted modes you would probably be fine as when you let go of the controller's sticks it just hovers. I am guessing it is the same for the phone controller.

gpd005
09-30-2016, 11:15 AM
We have a Phantom 3 and we have been flying it over water for awhile now. We mainly use it to film ATV and Dirtbike cross country races but we have had it for a few years so if something happens to it over the water now we have gotten our money. But this smaller compact model has us thinking it's time for an upgrade not to mention the faster speeds. Flying the 3 from the boat is a trip that's for sure!!! Especially when someone is on a slalom ski, it's almost impossible to keep up with the boat so we just fly really high so we can keep the boat and the skier in the same shot but it's a blast to do. Just takes up a lot of room in the boat.

09-30-2016, 11:42 AM
It will do 22MPH in auto mode anything more than that and you have to fly in sport mode and take matters into your own hands. Not sure that 22 is fast enough for what you are doing? 40MPH in sport mode will take care of you though.

jtatexc
10-02-2016, 10:37 PM
A buddy of mine who bought the latest phantom last year just sent me some links of the Mavic since I was looking at the go pro. I am now thinking that Dji is my new front runner. That thing is dialed in! I am very curious to see your reviews when you get it in hand. When are you thinking you'll see it?

10-03-2016, 10:27 AM
I am excited to get it for sure. Not sure when it will happen. One of the reps on the forum made it sound like it is about two weeks after shipping begins if you were in early but I don't know what that means. I was in on the second day because I was waiting for answers back on what phones you can use otherwise I would have ordered on the first day. They were really quick in getting back to me but I went back and forth with them several times. I am expecting mine in early November but who really knows.

I have been on their Mavic forum and there are a couple of people from DJI that are answering back to just about every comment and question that comes along. There is a good bit of information that you probably won't find in other places. I would take a look at the forum for sure which may help your decision http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=104 The forum for Mavic is brand new and no one has one so there is a lot of speculation but the DJI guys are doing a good job of answering what they can. This is my first DJI experience and good so far.
There are a few haters on there saying the camera isn't as good as the P4 and that is true HOWEVER it is a whole different world as far as the platform. The P4 platform has trade-offs compared to the Mavic. It is amazing what they have done with such a small and inexpensive machine. It is recording in 4K and take a look at some of the quality videos on the forum. Personally I will be more than happy to have video of that quality. We have board snobs (ok not really) they have cam snobs. Not all boards are perfect but most are more than good enough.

The only bad thing I have seen so far is the no fly zones for me personally. I am very close to Washington D.C. which has a massive no fly zone. I am about 1 mile outside of it on every FAA chart I have seen. I went on the DJI restricted zone site and where I live is JUST inside of theirs. I am guessing DJI added 1 extra mile as a buffer to keep themselves out of trouble:mad:. So I probably won't be able to fly at home. The lake we go to is completely clear to my surprise being that there is an airport, helipad, several amphibious aircraft and a nuclear power plant there.

I am really waiting for the manual to come out so I can study. They are saying about a week for that. I have the app downloaded and ready to go.

Sorry for the long post ;)

trayson
10-03-2016, 11:44 AM
I wonder if this would get you any headway.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3005898/dji-is-removing-mandatory-no-fly-zones-from-its-drones.html

Although it says you won't be able to self certify DC, so you might be SOL.

10-03-2016, 12:07 PM
"DJI said on Tuesday that a new version of its drone control software to be released in December will allow pilots to fly in restricted areas after they have self-certified they have permission to do so."

Good find but unfortunately D.C. is a no if's, and's or butt's no fly zone. Even if you have a 333 exemption you still can't fly there from what I have read. Other places you may be able to work it out.

trayson
10-03-2016, 12:16 PM
"DJI said on Tuesday that a new version of its drone control software to be released in December will allow pilots to fly in restricted areas after they have self-certified they have permission to do so."

Good find but unfortunately D.C. is a no if's, and's or butt's no fly zone. Even if you have a 333 exemption you still can't fly there from what I have read. Other places you may be able to work it out.

I guess then your only course of action would be to get clarification on where the actual no fly zone ends, and if DJI is wrong, then see if you can make some headway with them to update their system to reflect what's reality, not their conservative buffer interpretation.

10-03-2016, 01:36 PM
If it doesn't fly I will contact them for sure. I think they are smart to add the mile if that is the case but it sucks for me. This is one time where it doesn't pay to be living on the edge. Here is the story of my life on two maps.
There is no scale on the maps but seems to be about an extra mile to me.

Every FAA map I have seen in the last few years. I am the reddish dot, no fly zone in blue.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/FAA-maps.jpg

DJI map. I am the unfortunate yellow dot. Their no fly zone in red.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/DJI-map.jpg

Gqjeff
10-03-2016, 03:06 PM

Do you have a link so we can see the no fly zones? thanks

10-03-2016, 03:07 PM
This review says the Mavic cam is better than the P4. It seems to depend on the person. He may be paid by DJI for all I know but the video speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7V5K_-0Un4

10-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Do you have a link so we can see the no fly zones? thanks

You can look at the acutal FAA maps online but you can't really tell anything. I have seen physical maps and they look like this but show I am out of the NFZ:

This one is from the DJI Geo maps that show the unlocks. Since these are the unlocks I am guessing these are what they go by. I am in a no fly zone and an enhanced no fly zone . They say you can unlock an enhanced zone but under that is a no fly zone that does exist and basically no one is allowed in that zone.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

DJI map that says I am good. It is different from the geo site above and fits the FAA model.
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc?www=v1

Let me know if you have better insight than I do with this. It is my first time dealing with DJI so I may be looking at the wrong map?

10-04-2016, 10:02 AM
I showed DJI the maps and they replied it was up to me whether to fly there or not. I assumed if it were red you couldn't but maybe that is changed according to the article Trason found? I also found an updated article that matched what you found.

Some good news is that the fly more package includes 3 batteries! They don't specify and the photo shows only two batteries however there is one in the Mavic also. DJI confirmed there are three batteries with the package, sweet! That seals the deal for that package being a really good deal being batteries are about $90 each. I would be happy to trade the shoulder bag for another battery. Give me a backpack not a shoulder bag.

Gqjeff
10-04-2016, 11:46 AM
our small lake in all good on the map.. Sweet!!!

trayson
10-04-2016, 01:02 PM
I would be happy to trade the shoulder bag for another battery. Give me a backpack not a shoulder bag.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b2/3f/be/b23fbe4549e213663c6eb68acfb17199.jpg

10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
;);););)
Hold on while I grab my man bag with the flying thing in it. Wait that could be taken an entirely different way.

trayson
10-06-2016, 04:45 PM
No hurricane flying...

DO NOT FLY NEAR HURRICANE RESPONSE EFFORTS

As a result of Hurricane Matthew, there will likely be significant recovery efforts and the FAA may issue flight restrictions in the vicinity of disaster areas. During response operations to Hurricane Matthew, authorized aircraft may be flying at very low altitudes over affected areas.

Unauthorized UAS or drone operations may prevent other aircraft from performing life-saving missions and increase the risk of mid-air collision. Anyone, including hobbyist or recreational fliers, who interferes with disaster response efforts is subject to civil penalties of up to $32,140 per violation and possible criminal prosecution.

Unmanned aircraft system (UAS) or drone operators are responsible for checking applicable flight restrictions before operating and must not interfere with any aircraft assisting in hurricane disaster response operations, regardless if there is a flight restriction in place or not.

Drone operators may obtain information about posted flight restrictions by using the FAA’s B4UFLY mobile app or by checking the FAA’s website: https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/.

UAS or drone operators supporting disaster response operations must be approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prior to operating. Operators may seek approval by following these steps:
1.The operator must secure support from a governmental entity, and the operation must directly contribute to the response, relief, or recovery effort.
2.After completing step 1, the operator must contact the FAA’s Systems Operations Support Center (SOSC) at 202-267-8276for assistance.
3.After calling the SOSC, the operator must also send the request via email to [email protected].

10-07-2016, 10:58 AM
I went ahead and registered the Mavic ahead of time with the FAA (required) and now they sent me these alerts which is kind of cool. I plan on staying as far away from the storm as possible. Looks like it is heading far East quickly and won't come here at all which is fine with me.

wolfeman131
01-12-2017, 12:38 AM

Just got an email that lily is dead. They ran out of funds and closing shop without ever shipping a production unit.

01-12-2017, 12:02 PM
I saw this this morning also. Sorry to see it happen. It was nice to see something you didn't have to worry about when it landed in the drink.

On the bright side DJI now covers water "landings" on some of their models as of a couple of weeks ago if you buy their extended coverage. The problem is these things don't float for more than about one second so if it sinks and you can't recover it, no warranty applies.

BrettLee3232
01-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Just got an email that lily is dead. They ran out of funds and closing shop without ever shipping a production unit.

What happens to everyone's money that pre ordered it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01-12-2017, 04:36 PM
In the article I read if you have the same credit card you used to begin with it will automatically go back on. If not they have a form for investors to fill out and it will be refunded that way.

wolfeman131
01-12-2017, 10:25 PM
I rec'd an email today stating my refund has been processed. Nothing on the card yet, though.

01-13-2017, 12:39 AM
Sometimes it takes a day or three to show. Just keep an eye out.

02-08-2017, 12:39 PM
I finally got my DJI Mavic on Monday! I took it out last night and it said it was inside of the D.C. No Fly Zone. I am close to it but not in it. Other people have reported this. So I can't fly it at my house to check it out, disappointed. I will find a legal spot this weekend and see what it can do. Excited to finally have this in hand and a few months to practice before surf season starts.

Potsieuf
02-08-2017, 10:08 PM
I got my mavic a week ago Tuesday and I love it. I'm just now playing with the follow features. So far its been a great drone.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

02-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Good glad to hear it! I got out of the DCNFZ last night and it all worked but didn't want to fly at night for first flight. I will get out this weekend and see what I can get. Really looking forward to getting some shots on the boat.

02-24-2017, 11:58 AM
I have flown the Mavic several times now and it is so easy to fly it is almost cheating. I finally get to take it to the lake this weekend. No boating but get to fly open and try it over the water. As long as it doesn't try to go swimming it should all go well.

jtatexc
02-24-2017, 12:05 PM
I have flown the Mavic several times now and it is so easy to fly it is almost cheating. I finally get to take it to the lake this weekend. No boating but get to fly open and try it over the water. As long as it doesn't try to go swimming it should all go well.
Awesome to hear. A grand is a lot for me but this has me so intrigued. I may be getting one here soon. I am really curious to see how the follow me feature works with surfing

02-24-2017, 01:49 PM
You and me both on the tracking. I have only flown in manual mode and pointing the camera myself to be ready if something goes wrong. I will try out some of the auto features this weekend. I will post if I get anything good but I am still learning the camera. Glad to have it way ahead of the season to learn.
Agreed it is a lot but I am hoping to get a lot out of it.

jtatexc
02-24-2017, 01:54 PM
You and me both on the tracking. I have only flown in manual mode and pointing the camera myself to be ready if something goes wrong. I will try out some of the auto features this weekend. I will post if I get anything good but I am still learning the camera. Glad to have it way ahead of the season to learn.
Agreed it is a lot but I am hoping to get a lot out of it.
I have a bit of tax return money left that is burning a hole in my pocket. How long is the life of the battery? 20 minutes like the others? Did you buy an extra battery and if so how much was it?

02-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Looking at my flight record my longest non stop flight was 23 minutes. At the time I had the controller set to warn me at 20% battery and at 10% battery to do an auto land. It seemed to do it a little early and landed with 10% left on the battery. I would say you could probably get the 27 minutes out of it depending on wind and how you fly. That was constant flight, lots of throttle with very little hovering and not much wind on a day that was about 60F. I have managed to put 18 miles on it flying around a baseball field LOL.
Now I have my warning lower so I can fly longer. Once I fly further I will bump that up to keep out of danger.

I got the Fly More Combo but now wishing I didn't. You save money but only enough to almost get the too small bag that's included. It is basically a field bag band you can't fit everything into it. The rest of the stuff I just leave at home like chargers and so on.

I have a total of three batteries that came with the kit and I plan on buying another one or two when boating season rolls around. I think they are $89 each so not cheap. I will bring the charger on the boat so that should keep me in batteries for the day pretty well. Its about four hours to charge with the slow charge hub that came with it. They have a faster hub and the Phantom 4 charger that charges four batteries in just over two hours. I would go for that if I had to do it over again. The advance charge hubs are hard to find right now but that will change. On the other hand slow charging is better for the batteries. I may get the faster charger and use only when needed.

If have haven't already go on the DJI forum to the Mavic and start reading and learning but that will make you want to get one. See if it is right for you. I was on that site for about four months before I got the Mavic. You will see some people who have lost control, crashed, had flyaways but MOST all of them didn't read the manual and just launched it or some other pilot error. I am all for not reading manuals but when $900 is flying through the air over water I am reading the manual. They don't float as well as a Moomba.

jtatexc
02-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Looking at my flight record my longest non stop flight was 23 minutes. At the time I had the controller set to warn me at 20% battery and at 10% battery to do an auto land. It seemed to do it a little early and landed with 10% left on the battery. I would say you could probably get the 27 minutes out of it depending on wind and how you fly. That was constant flight, lots of throttle with very little hovering and not much wind on a day that was about 60F. I have managed to put 18 miles on it flying around a baseball field LOL.
Now I have my warning lower so I can fly longer. Once I fly further I will bump that up to keep out of danger.

I got the Fly More Combo but now wishing I didn't. You save money but only enough to almost get the too small bag that's included. It is basically a field bag band you can't fit everything into it. The rest of the stuff I just leave at home like chargers and so on.

I have a total of three batteries that came with the kit and I plan on buying another one or two when boating season rolls around. I think they are $89 each so not cheap. I will bring the charger on the boat so that should keep me in batteries for the day pretty well. Its about four hours to charge with the slow charge hub that came with it. They have a faster hub and the Phantom 4 charger that charges four batteries in just over two hours. I would go for that if I had to do it over again. The advance charge hubs are hard to find right now but that will change. On the other hand slow charging is better for the batteries. I may get the faster charger and use only when needed.

If have haven't already go on the DJI forum to the Mavic and start reading and learning but that will make you want to get one. See if it is right for you. I was on that site for about four months before I got the Mavic. You will see some people who have lost control, crashed, had flyaways but MOST all of them didn't read the manual and just launched it or some other pilot error. I am all for not reading manuals but when $900 is flying through the air over water I am reading the manual. They don't float as well as a Moomba.
That is a good point, I will check out the forum and see what people are saying. I would definitely be the dumbass to have it fly away so I should look further into that. Thanks for the battery info, that is what I needed. I was thinking more of the regular model and not the combo so that helps too. Thanks!

wolfeman131
02-24-2017, 03:48 PM
They don't float as well as a Moomba.

I'm bummed the lily camera never made it to market. I haven't looked, but has anyone on the Mavic forum figured any way to make it float?

02-28-2017, 01:32 AM
I'm bummed the lily camera never made it to market. I haven't looked, but has anyone on the Mavic forum figured any way to make it float?

I am with you on that. I think the Mavic would have been better in the end but waterproof and floating would be a good place to be. DJI just announced an IP64 drone which basically means you can put it in a dishwasher but still can't submerge it. That one will probably go for around $3-5K on the low end but no one really knows yet. Too rich for me.

There are some float solutions but they look kind of iffy to me. The one I have seen for sale is basically about a 4" ball on each arm. It looks top heavy to me and the wind would really push it around. I think the floats would need to be flatter, even cutting the balls in half and flat part down.

You can get their Care Refresh. They will replace it for you at a small cost for two times if crashed or in water. You have to get it out of the water though and send it back. Some people are adding fishing rod floats that activate under water. I was just thinking to put piece of shaped foam over the top of the fuselage. The Mavic would be dunked but recoverable.

Floats are going to change the flying characteristics way too much so I am leaving them off but that is just me.
I got some not so good video this weekend and will post later. It was really windy and somewhat overcast. A huge storm was coming in so I was not taking my time with the flight.

02-28-2017, 01:41 AM
That is a good point, I will check out the forum and see what people are saying. I would definitely be the dumbass to have it fly away so I should look further into that. Thanks for the battery info, that is what I needed. I was thinking more of the regular model and not the combo so that helps too. Thanks!

I was plenty nervous for my first flight. Nice large field with no one around. I read the manual twice then went over specific questions via searches and just read a ton. Learn from my mistake, don't get the combo. You will still save money but will still need a bag. There are a ton of different styles that people have tried and reviewed. I am thinking a backpack type maybe. I also got form fitting semi rigid cases for the RC and the Mavic. I can just throw them in a regular pack with no issues.

02-28-2017, 07:00 PM
It isn't great video but I said I would post it. Here is what I recorded this weekend on the Mavic Pro. Everything you see here is default settings and basically unmolested. No Photoshop although they are a bit dark but other than the XLV pic that looks pretty cool.
It was really windy and a bit overcast that day as you can see on one of the trees. A big storm was coming and I probably shouldn't have been out there due to high winds. It does show how stable the gimball is except for the take off by the boat. The wind was really cranking.

The only setting I changed on the video was to lock in the white balance. If I didn't there would be no contrast in the clouds especially when pointing toward the sun. I did the flying very quickly so the pans are way too fast (sorry) and some of it is jerky. I had no lens filter (but needed it), no color grading etc. There are gain settings for the sticks and for the gimball plus cinematic mode that can really make it look professional but I didn't use any of these plus it was in sport (fast) mode.

I ran the video through a coder ONLY to bring the video resolution down from 4K to 2K 1080p). YouTube claims to work with 4k and maybe they do but not on my system. You can still see some compression issues now but it is much better than the 4k. The best place to see it is probably in YouTube and at 1080p at full screen. Worked for me anyway. I am still figuring all of this out as this is my first posting of a video. I have just been learning the flying so far.

This needs to be played in YouTube directly. Too much compression going on here. It is REALLY dark. I have a lot to learn about the settings so that is my fault.

https://youtu.be/VpWRqeGH8EI

VERY old shed. This property was first used in the 1700's. The shed isn't that old but was told it wasn't a lot newer. It has been restored several times.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/DJI_0065.jpg

View North up the 17 mile long lake. It's about 1 mile to the other side.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/DJI_0052.jpg

The white house with the red roof belonged to Thomas Jefferson's sister and was built in 1725. He did visit the house. The shed used to be part of that property. The house is selling for $459,900 if anyone is interested LOL.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/DJI_0051.jpg

You know what this is.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/DJI_0050.jpg

02-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Looks like the downgrade to 1080p caused the dark video. This one is a bit better. 40MPH quick flight.
Got rid of all of the other issues also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGA4kcKGeR4&feature=youtu.be

jtatexc
02-28-2017, 10:54 PM
That is pretty damn cool.i have it narrowed down to one of these or a custom arcade machine for the basement. Not gonna lie, the idea of NBA jam, street fighter, and mortal kombat has me kinda excited too so I am wondering which I get more use out of. Kinda thinking it may actually be the arcade

03-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Can't blame you for that. Those are pretty cool.