PDA

View Full Version : Bimini torn from aviator tower

jtatexc
09-18-2016, 09:35 PM
So we were out riding today. Wind and clouds picked up quick and we were doing 25 accross the water back to the dock. All of a sudden the Bimini top flips the opposite way and was bent to all high hell. When we stopped to look at it the screws going through one of the brackets broke causing the support arm to fail and the Bimini to rip the other bars out of the other brackets. The main Cross bar on the Bimini is majorly bent now and all of the support clips on the tower itself are stripped out. I have to believe this is a warrenty issue since the bracket failed. I really hope it is...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jtatexc
09-18-2016, 09:38 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/1e268df0fb9e4344c986b7ea2797005e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/6207e2dffb1b45ab949396cad1b6d7e9.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/506d0685e57902a2c5a436d7c8ee3e94.jpg
Top pick you can see how one arm is high and the other is low, that shows the major bend. Middle pic is the bracket torn off. Bottom pick the the broken screw.

moombaman16
09-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Did you have the front straps on?

jtatexc
09-18-2016, 11:15 PM
They were tied to the lock handle on the tower. I didn't get pop up cleats (I know stupid!) As an option so that is the only place to have them.

wolfeman131
09-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Wind and clouds picked up quick

I don't believe the warranty covers an "Act of God."

That's like asking Ford or GM to cover a paint chip after your vehicle was left outside in a hailstorm.

jtatexc
09-18-2016, 11:19 PM
But if it's a weak point I believe that is an argument. The brackets always had a little play which never seemed right to me and today they gave

wolfeman131
09-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Good luck with that argument.

BrettLee3232
09-18-2016, 11:23 PM
I would assume it's a warranty fix. If it wasn't I would raise hell until it was. Complete bull if it's not. No way that should ever happen unless your doing 80 down the freeway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtatexc
09-18-2016, 11:27 PM
I would assume it's a warranty fix. If it wasn't I would raise hell until it was. Complete bull if it's not. No way that should ever happen unless your doing 80 down the freeway

That was my thought too. The fact the screws actually broke like they did shows an issue.

moombaman16
09-18-2016, 11:29 PM
They were tied to the lock handle on the tower. I didn't get pop up cleats (I know stupid!) As an option so that is the only place to have them.

The reason I ask is mine did the same thing and they would not cover it because I didn't have the straps on.

jtatexc
09-18-2016, 11:33 PM
The reason I ask is mine did the same thing and they would not cover it because I didn't have the straps on.
I dont know how this will be viewed, I may get hung up on it. My first thought was to just try and retap it and fix myself until I got looking at it closer and saw all the mounting brackets were stripped out from the posts pulling out and the main Cross bar was really really bent (as in needing a replacement). I'll definitely be fighting it. When I bought the boat both salesmen told me I was fine putting the straps to the handles because they "weren't really needed anyways" . Clearly they were

mattsask
09-19-2016, 12:24 AM
My dealer also told me the straps aren't needed unless going over 40mph. Which can't be achieved on the lake. Only time I put my straps on is if I'm towing to the launch. The straps look like a cheap fix for a bimini that obviously wasn't designed very well.

The dealer sold you the boat with a bimini and no cleats. To me, if the cleats are required for the bimini straps, they shouldn't have let you go without cleats. I hope this all shakes out in your favor.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

mmandley
09-19-2016, 06:44 AM
I doubt you get warranty, no matter how honest you are, the fact remains they don't know if you were when on the water, you could have been towing the boat for all they know.

I'm with you on failed parts but in the end some things are just owner costs.

mmandley
09-19-2016, 06:45 AM
My dealer also told me the straps aren't needed unless going over 40mph. Which can't be achieved on the lake. Only time I put my straps on is if I'm towing to the launch. The straps look like a cheap fix for a bimini that obviously wasn't designed very well.

The dealer sold you the boat with a bimini and no cleats. To me, if the cleats are required for the bimini straps, they shouldn't have let you go without cleats. I hope this all shakes out in your favor.

Just remember, 25 boat speed into a head wind of 15= 40mph wind.

Crane man
09-19-2016, 07:10 AM
It looks and sounds more like a careless install of the anchor brackets to the tower. If I had to bet it was the dealer that used a screw gun and just ran them in. The aviator sould have been predrilled and tapped for a few different bimini tops. If it is then find out who installed brackets. The top is a cheap replacement compared to a new tower, which if it was me I would want replaced not just half a$$ fixed. Good luck.

jtatexc
09-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Just remember, 25 boat speed into a head wind of 15= 40mph wind.
I get that. I had the same thought but it's also out of my control. What's gonna suck is if I have to drive it the 2 hours to the dealer only to find that I'm told I'm out of luck for something that was not at all my fault. To top it off the boat also randomly killed out twice while towing yesterday as well as the auto surf tabs are not always engaging all the way and I'll have to cut out in the flats when I get up so the drivers can switch to middle then back to my side to get them fully engaged. This is about every 4th or 5th set now. It's growing more common as I'm growing more annoyed.

mattsask
09-19-2016, 08:00 AM
I get that. I had the same thought but it's also out of my control. What's gonna suck is if I have to drive it the 2 hours to the dealer only to find that I'm told I'm out of luck for something that was not at all my fault. To top it off the boat also randomly killed out twice while towing yesterday as well as the auto surf tabs are not always engaging all the way and I'll have to cut out in the flats when I get up so the drivers can switch to middle then back to my side to get them fully engaged. This is about every 4th or 5th set now. It's growing more common as I'm growing more annoyed.

I've been having the same problem with my surf tabs since late June. Sounds like quite a few of us having that issue.

jtatexc
09-19-2016, 08:05 AM
I've been having the same problem with my surf tabs since late June. Sounds like quite a few of us having that issue.

And what is weird it it will screw up during a ride after a fall. I'll be riding and all is well, go down, and on next pull wave has no push so I'll have to arch out and let the driver reset it. Pretty annoying

mattsask
09-19-2016, 08:48 AM
You're not alone my friend. I've got a suck gate as backup for the day they decide to crap out completely.

jtatexc
09-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Not a bad idea for 30 bucks to not ruin a day of riding!

mmandley
09-19-2016, 12:32 PM
These issues remind me of the issues we were having after the new wake plates for installed in 13. Took 2 summers before they found a problem with the programming.

It worked great at first, then randomly after a fall and idle back to get rider. Wake plate would just lower it's self back to 0%

I agree if the dealer installed the mounts and or didn't supply you with the proper bimini setup they should be held liable.

icemanftr
09-19-2016, 12:51 PM
I've had so many issues with mine, especially the screws coming out and arm goes flying wind. I finally took them all apart and used thread lock because it wouldn't stop.

jtatexc
09-19-2016, 02:44 PM
I've had so many issues with mine, especially the screws coming out and arm goes flying wind. I finally took them all apart and used thread lock because it wouldn't stop.

Maybe if I show then this thread that it's not just an issue I am facing I'll be ok :)

icemanftr
09-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Maybe if I show then this thread that it's not just an issue I am facing I'll be ok :)

Sure wouldn't hurt. I've never towed with mine on, so I could never understand how bolts kept backing themselves out when most the time I'm surfing at 10mph.

jtatexc
09-19-2016, 03:50 PM
But I did also have the thought that wind plus drive speed =trouble with this setup

DFTR Josh
09-22-2016, 10:15 AM
My first Moomba I almost ordered that tower and shade top. My first mod was to cut the straps down and take them to the window instead of the cleat. Opted for the S Bend by the time the order went through. I don't care what shops say, if the straps are there then use them.

jtatexc
09-22-2016, 10:48 AM
My first Moomba I almost ordered that tower and shade top. My first mod was to cut the straps down and take them to the window instead of the cleat. Opted for the S Bend by the time the order went through. I don't care what shops say, if the straps are there then use them.
I had the straps on they were just to the tower handles and not to the nonexistent cleats. The windshield is a good idea for future use though. Perhaps I will rig something when this is all sorted out

Pound
09-22-2016, 11:43 AM
I gotta say, i HATE the bimini on the aviator tower. It is a complete pain in the azz to set up and take down. It's my least favorite "feature" of my boat. Yea, the height/clearance and surf pockets are nice. but the hardware quality and having to move the position of the legs up/down the tower suck. I feel like i'm fighting off an attack from a colony of bats when struggling w/that thing, lol. Maybe a better design would be to have tracks that the base of the legs could slide up and down the tower when putting it up/down instead of physically removing the them to re-position them would be better... but of course that would add cost.

mattsask
09-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Hahaha. I've been trying to find a way to describe that bimini for a while now. I'd say you nailed it!

jtatexc
09-22-2016, 01:29 PM
I gotta say, i HATE the bimini on the aviator tower. It is a complete pain in the azz to set up and take down. It's my least favorite "feature" of my boat. Yea, the height/clearance and surf pockets are nice. but the hardware quality and having to move the position of the legs up/down the tower suck. I feel like i'm fighting off an attack from a colony of bats when struggling w/that thing, lol. Maybe a better design would be to have tracks that the base of the legs could slide up and down the tower when putting it up/down instead of physically removing the them to re-position them would be better... but of course that would add cost.
I agree that it is a pain to mess with especially because I rarely boat with it collapsed. I love the shade and keep it open 5 of the 7 months I boat in colorado. Agree a better design would have been nice

mattsask
09-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Maybe you can get that new bimini that's on the A3. The top portion of the tower looks identical to yours with my untrained eye.

KG's Supra24
09-22-2016, 03:07 PM
I'm digging my z5 :cool:

jtatexc
09-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Maybe you can get that new bimini that's on the A3. The top portion of the tower looks identical to yours with my untrained eye.

We will see what they say. I am taking it to the dealer the last week of October. It's almost 3 hours away from me so I'm just gonna deal with no Bimini the next few rides. What is more concerning is the fact my boat has killed out on my randomly while towing the probably the last 10 trips. That combined with the surf system and plates not always working right made the service manager think maybe bad ecu

Crane man
09-23-2016, 08:40 AM
We will see what they say. I am taking it to the dealer the last week of October. It's almost 3 hours away from me so I'm just gonna deal with no Bimini the next few rides. What is more concerning is the fact my boat has killed out on my randomly while towing the probably the last 10 trips. That combined with the surf system and plates not always working right made the service manager think maybe bad ecu

I had a problem whit engine shutting off while pulling and found that it was the seat hitting the kill switch. Then if I didnt wait for the prestart/electrical precheck to complete before restarting it would mess with the tabs and wakeplate plus got error codes. Just my experience.

jtatexc
09-23-2016, 08:47 AM
I had a problem whit engine shutting off while pulling and found that it was the seat hitting the kill switch. Then if I didnt wait for the prestart/electrical precheck to complete before restarting it would mess with the tabs and wakeplate plus got error codes. Just my experience.
Hmm....I will never say never especially because it has never died when I have been pulling, just fiends pulling me which means I have zero clue about them hitting the kill switch. The tabs not working generally has nothing to do with the timing of the boat dying. The tabs are more often throughout the day and seem to have a mind of their own

mattsask
09-23-2016, 08:56 AM
If it's never shut down while you're driving, I almost guarantee it's the kill switch. There is something about the drivers knee height when the bolster is up. My brother has shut the boat down a handful of time when he's jamming out and swings the seat around from watching the refer to watching ahead. I'm guilty of it myself.

zabooda
09-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Kill Switch = Self Destruct Button. If the lanyard isn't wrapped around your wrist, it serves no purpose but creating a failure point. The ignition switch works just as well and would be the first to go to in a panic situation out of habit. If the switch is required in your state, how many inspections check the kill switch and if they do how many would cite you for a "faulty" switch that doesn't shut the engine off. Just remember to remove the jumper if you sell the boat.

jtatexc
09-23-2016, 01:19 PM
The thing is though with my scenario is that no one has had to flip the switch back like they had hit it. It was just random dying. My friends would know and admit if that was the cause.

csm
09-23-2016, 01:48 PM
The thing is though with my scenario is that no one has had to flip the switch back like they had hit it. It was just random dying. My friends would know and admit if that was the cause.

It doesn't have to be flipped back... I've had this happen many times... If your knee just bumps it enough to depress the switch a little, the engine dies... After you bump it, the switch goes back to normal without you having to do anything, everything starts fine, etc.... I thought my boat had a problem until one time I realized my knee is what was causing the problem.

trayson
09-23-2016, 07:34 PM
It doesn't have to be flipped back... I've had this happen many times... If your knee just bumps it enough to depress the switch a little, the engine dies... After you bump it, the switch goes back to normal without you having to do anything, everything starts fine, etc.... I thought my boat had a problem until one time I realized my knee is what was causing the problem.

I know I have a totally different boat. I have a ballast bag under the surfside seats. One time my gopro accessory case slid off the top of my battery boxes and down under the observer seat. when the ballast bag filled, it pushed that case JUST enough that it would press on the breaker button and cut power to the boat. But not enough to fully depress the breaker. I'm sure I couldn't recreate that situation if I tried, but it really had me stumped that day. When I figured it out, it was like a huge light bulb went off and I was so happy that it was just a fluke.

So your theory is certainly plausible!

jtatexc
09-23-2016, 09:51 PM
So I just looked and I for some reason thought there was a switch inside a protective housing like my last boat but sure enough it is just a red button mounted on the wall. It has a clip though around it that looks like it would have to be removed in order to be pressed to kill the boat. Is that correct or would hitting it with the clip on it still kill the boat?

mattsask
09-23-2016, 10:05 PM
All you have to do is push the button. My 1.5 year old daughter can kill the engine pushing it with one finger. It's a totally plausible scenario that you should strongly consider before you tow it 3 hrs to the dealer.

jtatexc
09-23-2016, 10:36 PM
All you have to do is push the button. My 1.5 year old daughter can kill the engine pushing it with one finger. It's a totally plausible scenario that you should strongly consider before you tow it 3 hrs to the dealer.

That makes sense to me. I still have to have them check out the wake plates and surf system because those are still screwing up apart from the engine killing. Plus the thing that started this thread....the Bimini :(

jstenger
09-24-2016, 02:08 PM
My seat on my LSV always bumped my switch. I have since added a jumper. No more killed engine.