PDA

View Full Version : Installation of new prop

Blueliner
09-16-2016, 09:45 AM
I got my repaired prop back (clipped a rocky sandbar)

Need to install it, keep in mind we had to use a puller and some heat to remove it. So it obviously has a good fit.

Looking for some advice, have never done this before.

MLA
09-16-2016, 10:04 AM
A puller is normal and heat may need to be used in addition, so dont let that be an indication of a "goof fit" Just means the tapers were tight or a little corrosion between the prop and shaft. First and foremost, you want to make sure the prop seats completely in the taper. This means all the way up to the original witness mark left when the prop came off. Next, may suggest lapping the prop to the shaft in order to get as much contact as possible. Google this for a video. No nicks on the key. Actually, I suggest a new hardware kit with key, nut and pin.

mmandley
09-16-2016, 12:07 PM
I agree with the above except I don't think you have to lap the prop. Sure if you have the means do it.

I personally don't know anyone or have ever heard of anyone going to that extent.

Get a new nut, new key, new cotter pin.

Emery cloth to clean the shaft and inside the prop. Then reinstall, tighten nut, add cotter pin.

I use a 2x4 between the prop and the trailer prop guard to keep the shaft from spinning once the prop is getting tight.

Blueliner
09-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your replies

So after the cleaning and polishing all I need to do is make sure the prop has slid as far forward as possible, that it can no longer move with a few light taps of a piece of wood. Block the prop and then tighten the nut (how tight is too tight?) And install the pin, with both sides of the pin bent back.

I am using a new nut, key, and pin, all shiny stuff

parrothd
09-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Same, I've never seen or heard anyone lap the prop. I reuse the everything, nut, key, no need to replace it unless damaged.