PDA

View Full Version : IBS Questions

twkoehn
09-15-2016, 06:55 PM
I am fairly new to the surfing game and am looking to upgrade my ballast in my 2007 Mobius LSV. Currently I have the stock Gravity III system and am planning to add 1,100 lb bags to the rear lockers. At some point, I also want to buy the Gravity III Ballast Upgrade from Wakemakers. Thanks to the posts I've read on here, I built a "suck gate" which has helped immensely but I want to add an IBS and have a few questions as to how all of you have set yours up.

First, I am planning to piggyback off my center bag but am not exactly sure where I should run the intake line, vent line and drain line on each of the bags. I assume I should run the intake to the front (top) of the IBS and let it flow back to my center bag to fill it. Also, for draining the IBS and filling the center bag, I assume I would need to run a drain line from each leg of the IBS into the front (top) of my Center Bag. Both of those were more questions than statements of fact so any recommendations would be of great help and much appreciated.

Second, what size IBS fits best into my boat. I see on Wakemakers they have both a 500 and a 750 pound Sumo bag. From your experience, which fits best???

Third, like most, I would greatly appreciate the wakemakers discount code. If any of you have it, please PM it to me.

Thanks and I look forward to your suggestions.

jelmhorst
09-15-2016, 07:32 PM
I've got the 500 Sumo IBS and if the legs are longer you might be able to pull off the 750. I didn't think it would fit so I didn't even bother to check the dimensions. I prob have another foot on each side before you start running into batteries and such.

twkoehn
09-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks Jeff. Did you piggy back off your center locker or do you have a separate pump for each???

aerolland
09-15-2016, 10:15 PM
I just installed a 750 IBS in my 08 Outback V. Fits perfectly with about 3" of locker access left (more locker underneath but seat opening is around 3"). I piggy backed from front top (vent) of my 400# floor bag into the right lower port of the IBS. Had to drill inside starboard locker to get hose to and from center ski locker. No vent yet in the IBS, just burp it the first fill. Worked great last time out, and drained well when done.

I can take more pics if needed of the specific install. Here's the surf wave with 750s full in rear, 400 under floor, and 750 ibs

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160916/d9a8ae41b100d50ac31ef0fa80f34d56.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

twkoehn
11-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Just checked with Wakemakers and they suggest the 500 lb sumo IBS. Anyone else use the 750 in the 2006-2008 Mobius LSV???

jelmhorst
11-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Sorry I missed your note. I run the Sumo Max pump for the bags. I had never wake surfed before and before I go drilling holes in the boat and spending a lot of money on the ballast upgrade and bags I wanted to make sure I enjoyed it enough to make that kind of investment. There's always a market for over the boat pumps and bags so if I decide I want to do it right I can flip them and get some value out of them.

parrothd
11-28-2016, 12:35 PM
I have this one, it's actually a little small..

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html (https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html)

Just checked with Wakemakers and they suggest the 500 lb sumo IBS. Anyone else use the 750 in the 2006-2008 Mobius LSV???

mikenehrkorn
11-28-2016, 02:17 PM
I have this one, it's actually a little small..

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html (https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html)

+1 on the 650# as well in my OBV and there is definitely room for the "legs" to be longer which I believe is how the 750# is configured. I would definitely go with the 750 if I was doing it all over again, even if it doesn't fill all the way.

twkoehn
11-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the input guys - much appreciated!!!!! Pulled the trigger on the 750 for the bow.

GregInKS
05-19-2017, 06:00 AM
What did you guys do to protect the bag from the very sharp bottoms of the cup holders? I think just getting rid of the little sharp drain part sticking down would be best but I also have some nice sheets of firm packing foam I could custom fit around them. The foam might also help keep the bag clear of them and keep them from being pushed up. Thanks guys!

aerolland
05-19-2017, 06:19 AM
The arch of the bag wants to be under the cup holders on my OBV, I removed my holders for now. I have seen a modification someone here did that cut 4" PVC pipe to go around each cup holder to keep the bag away. My only concern is the missing volume around that area, plus it will tend to pull the legs forward.

GregInKS
05-19-2017, 07:27 AM
PVC might be a great idea. Would keep them from getting pushed up also. Might just give that a shot.
Thanks!

gregski
05-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Ours pop up like a turkey timer. It makes for a good conversation when you explain that you're intentionally trying to sink your boat.

moombahighrider
05-20-2017, 09:14 AM
The arch of the bag wants to be under the cup holders on my OBV, I removed my holders for now. I have seen a modification someone here did that cut 4" PVC pipe to go around each cup holder to keep the bag away. My only concern is the missing volume around that area, plus it will tend to pull the legs forward.

I'm the guy that did the 4" pvc mod. It worked great and had plenty of room for the bag to fully fill in my LSV- not sure if it would be the same for the OBV. Also, I actually liked having the legs pushed up a few inches as it gave me room to store some extra baby and kids life jackets that we seldom need but wanted to have on board.

North Woods Mobius
05-20-2017, 09:58 AM
I'm the guy that did the 4" pvc mod. It worked great and had plenty of room for the bag to fully fill in my LSV- not sure if it would be the same for the OBV. Also, I actually liked having the legs pushed up a few inches as it gave me room to store some extra baby and kids life jackets that we seldom need but wanted to have on board.

Highrider,

I remember seeing that post and thinking I'd like to do the same, but I can't seem to find that thread.... I've got a 500lbs IBS in our 2014 LSV and would like to keep my cup holders from popping out when we're surfing using your PVC solution. Any chance you've got a few pics that you could post up on the install of these so I can do the same? TIA, and sorry that my lame search skills are creating work for you :p

moombahighrider
05-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Highrider,

I remember seeing that post and thinking I'd like to do the same, but I can't seem to find that thread.... I've got a 500lbs IBS in our 2014 LSV and would like to keep my cup holders from popping out when we're surfing using your PVC solution. Any chance you've got a few pics that you could post up on the install of these so I can do the same? TIA, and sorry that my lame search skills are creating work for you :p

I can't find it either. I think it was a reply to another thread. I don't seem to be able to search far enough back. I think it was early last summer when I posted the pics.

Anyway, the pics aren't really necessary. There isn't much to it. All you do is measure the height you need from the bottom of the cup holder cutout in the fiberglass to the inside of the hull under the cupholders. Cut you 4" pvc to that length and then slide them in there. I cut mine so they were a tight fit but you could go a little looser, as the cupholders will stop the pvc from moving out of place too much.

MGX
05-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Hi guys, new member here and soaking up as much info as I can. Getting a bit lost in some thread searches, so much to look at.

Is it possible on 06 LSV to take off the center locker bag vent with a Y into both legs of a bow bag and then vent the IBS from the top to the drain on the side with a check valve so when I drain the center and IBS it doesn't just go back into the IBS?
Trying to keep it simple for the first year.

North Woods Mobius
05-20-2017, 10:44 AM
I can't find it either. I think it was a reply to another thread. I don't seem to be able to search far enough back. I think it was early last summer when I posted the pics.

Anyway, the pics aren't really necessary. There isn't much to it. All you do is measure the height you need from the bottom of the cup holder cutout in the fiberglass to the inside of the hull under the cupholders. Cut you 4" pvc to that length and then slide them in there. I cut mine so they were a tight fit but you could go a little looser, as the cupholders will stop the pvc from moving out of place too much.

Awesome, thanks man. That's as simple as I was hoping it would be, I just wanted to double-check that it wasn't necessary to either glue/fix them to either the hull or the top inside of the fiberglass. It also makes me feel slightly better that you can't find that post either :-D. Thanks for the super-clear instructions, I'll throw those PVC sleeves in when we're back up at the Lake over Memorial Day!

moombahighrider
05-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Hi guys, new member here and soaking up as much info as I can. Getting a bit lost in some thread searches, so much to look at.

Is it possible on 06 LSV to take off the center locker bag vent with a Y into both legs of a bow bag and then vent the IBS from the top to the drain on the side with a check valve so when I drain the center and IBS it doesn't just go back into the IBS?
Trying to keep it simple for the first year.

That is exactly what I did to plumb my ibs. I drained my ibs from each leg and y-ed them together and then plumbed it into the hose right before the drain pump- I had an aerator pump for draining on the center and ibs bags.

twkoehn
05-20-2017, 11:41 AM
That is exactly what I did to plumb my ibs. I drained my ibs from each leg and y-ed them together and then plumbed it into the hose right before the drain pump- I had an aerator pump for draining on the center and ibs bags.

That's exactly what I am planning to do with one addition -- I plan to add a PVC ball valve on each drain hose right before the Y or T. That way I have full control of how full both the IBS and center bags are

MGX
05-20-2017, 12:04 PM

I was hoping to use the stock pump that feeds the center bag to do all of this. Will that pump be sufficient?

moombahighrider
05-20-2017, 12:05 PM
I was hoping to use the stock pump that feeds the center bag to do all of this. Will that pump be sufficient?

Yes. Do you have the original gIII aerator setup or reversibles? Either way, it can be plumbed to work.

MGX
05-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Yes. Do you have the original gIII aerator setup or reversibles? Either way, it can be plumbed to work.

I have a reversible pump already wired in, looks like it's how the boat was originally made. Sorry I'm not up to speed on GIII!

MGX
05-23-2017, 04:57 PM
What bag have you been able to fit under the bow seats? I'm in Canada, looking at a Fly High 725lbs or the X2 690lbs. Both show th same dimensions and are both made by Fly High.

GregInKS
05-24-2017, 05:16 AM
What bag have you been able to fit under the bow seats? I'm in Canada, looking at a Fly High 725lbs or the X2 690lbs. Both show th same dimensions and are both made by Fly High.

I just stuck this one in mine.
https://www.wakemakers.com/fatsac-650-bow-bag-tsunami-pump-combo.html
It fits really well but does have a little room on the legs if you went a bit bigger.

MGX
05-24-2017, 12:54 PM
I just stuck this one in mine.
https://www.wakemakers.com/fatsac-650-bow-bag-tsunami-pump-combo.html
It fits really well but does have a little room on the legs if you went a bit bigger.

Thanks for the info. How did you plumb it in?

GregInKS
05-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info. How did you plumb it in?

I am just going to use the over the side pump that combo comes with for now at least. I figured I could also use the pump to fill and drain the rear bags faster also. I haven't upgraded my ballast system from stock G3.

MGX
05-24-2017, 10:45 PM
I am just going to use the over the side pump that combo comes with for now at least. I figured I could also use the pump to fill and drain the rear bags faster also. I haven't upgraded my ballast system from stock G3.

I want to plumb the IBS into the centre bag and use overboard pumps for the rear bags, looks like I might end up with two pumps soon.

For plumbing the center and IBS into the same system, if I T off the the front of the centre bag into the front of the IBS to fill and put two returns on the IBS legs to T off into the drain of the center bag, how do I vent them? I'm not even sure if the center bag is vented, that is how little time I've had with the boat since I've owned it. Thanks again to anyone willing to answer these questions.

MGX
06-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Would this work to add on top of my center bag to pump water to the IBS?

MGX
06-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Bump bump bump

gregski
06-15-2017, 01:52 AM
IIRC, the bag in the center locker has two ports and both are used: the lower for fill, the upper for overflow/vent. They used Fly High/Flow-Rite fittings like these from wakemakers (https://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-fittings)

MGX
06-15-2017, 10:31 AM
IIRC, the bag in the center locker has two ports and both are used: the lower for fill, the upper for overflow/vent. They used Fly High/Flow-Rite fittings like these from wakemakers (https://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-fittings)

You are correct it only has two ports. I want to add a port on top of the center locker bag to feed the IBS.

Looking for input on the best part to use, I've seen info on how some have added ports to a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregski
06-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Seems unnecessary... I would tee off of the overflow/vent since it is already right behind the helm.

MGX
06-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Seems unnecessary... I would tee off of the overflow/vent since it is already right behind the helm.

So T off the fill line to the IBS and back from the IBS and T into the drain line?

z28ke
07-04-2017, 06:50 PM
I think you would want to add a fitting to the front of the center floor sac so it doesn't fill with air. My 2008 had a plug at the front of the bag. I added a fitting and and tee'd from that to both sides of the ibs legs by drilling a hole in the floor on both sides. Used a couple 90" couplers for the tight bends.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170704/784c8a82cde9c3ffcc94fb5a76c71a49.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170704/703614fbe4b92338c47d86d9d5e533b8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170704/c2c08fd8462234f0a521eee54ea55f48.jpg

MGX
07-04-2017, 08:53 PM
What dit you use to drill thru the floor?

z28ke
07-05-2017, 10:01 AM
What dit you use to drill thru the floor?

A hole saw like this that goes on the drill:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170705/faefe6056df2cd644e07312addb0e095.jpg

MGX
07-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks, did you drill thru the carpet with it? I don't have a vent on the center bag, might add one...

z28ke
07-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Yep, right through the carpet. Made a clean cut in the carpet.

gregski
07-05-2017, 05:58 PM
I don't have a vent on the center bag, might add one...
Does water overflow out the side in front of the driver when it's full? That would be the vent.

MGX
07-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Does water overflow out the side in front of the driver when it's full? That would be the vent.

It doesn't