PDA

View Full Version : First time Winterization attempt

liquid_acid
09-15-2016, 08:28 AM
I am looking to do the winterization myself this year and was looking for a link to another thread or a step by step on how to do this.

I typically change my oil every spring as well as the impeller.

The boat is in heated storage at a friends but I winterize it regardless in case something happens with the heat.

I have a 98' outback.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

jzelt
09-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Pretty much follow
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?6925-Winterization-Procedure-with-pics-new-and-improved

I run it on a garden hose until the thermostat opens up totally. (Max temp).
I drain the block and manifold hose, suck out the oil, change the filter, but then run a 5 gal bucket of antifreeze thru and shut it down.

mcdye
09-15-2016, 04:48 PM
What he said.. ^

I also change the fluids during the winterizing. I would rather have new fluids sitting all winter than used. I also pull the impeller and put in a new one in the spring.

MJHSupra
09-15-2016, 05:12 PM
I have a 2007 Supra and learned from that same thread. Awesome thread - even tells you the wrench sizes.

I run my boat after fluid changes during year-end.

I changed the impeller last year. It gets removed each year (probably do not need to do that), but it will last multiple years for me.
If I take it out and notice something on the blades, it gets changed with the gasket during the following year.

I have different ballast pumps, so I have loosen all the hoses to get the water out. I use air in the lines to push the water out.
My ballast bags are removed and sit in the garage all winter. So do the impellers for the pumps. In bags with vaseline.

I you have a heater in the boat, that will need to be addressed.

Different people have different opinions about draining water from the block vs. filling with antifreeze.

I also make sure to get ALL water out of bottom of the boat. No need for moisture/mold.
Last year I also put a bucket (64oz) of DampRid in the boat. I was amazed how much moisture that picked up when stored a semi-heated garage.

zabooda
09-16-2016, 12:14 AM
What engine do you have? I'd recommend removing any ethanol gas by disconnecting the gas line at the carburetor, jumping the fuel pump and drain the gas into cans. Put a couple gallons of ethanol free with Stabil into the tank and pump it through, connect the gas line, run the engine and fog the carburetor. Shut off the engine, pull the heater hose and blow out, pull the J hose on the water pump, pull the raw water hoses off the impeller pump and blow out the water intake, blow out the shower lines with the pump running (use low air pressure), pull the riser plugs and open the block drains. I pull the coil wire and turn the engine over for a second to seat the impeller and blow out the water in the exhaust. Put all the hoses back on. Connect a trickle charger to the battery.