PDA

View Full Version : Hard steering

SoTX
09-14-2016, 08:28 AM
Have a 2005 XLV had the steering cable replace in early 2015 and it was easy to steer. Now its near end of season 2016 and it is getting progressively harder to steer. Greasing the rudder does not help. Also sometimes when I turn hard right water pours out from under the dash on to my legs. Is water getting into my cable? Is there a way to lube the cable? help needed.

Ian Brantford
09-14-2016, 11:28 PM
Following this thread...

jzelt
09-15-2016, 03:08 PM
On our Supra, I replaced the steering cable. When I did, I took marine grease and rubbed it into the end of cable by the rudder and along the rod that comes out. Then turning the wheel several times, worked it into the housing (hopefully). I then packed the support tube (with the rubber cap) with marine grease and plan to repack it this fall to prevent water getting in. (Tried putting a zerk fitting on the tube but there isn't any clearance between the wall of the tube and the steering cable).

SoTX
09-15-2016, 03:13 PM
How difficult is it to replace the damned cable? Reason I ask is because my dealer want's a grand to do it. That includes cost of the cable. I am thinking I can do it.

mcdye
09-15-2016, 04:35 PM
If your are getting that much water in your bilge, to get in the cable.... that may have caused premature failure.

How difficult is it to replace the damned cable? Reason I ask is because my dealer want's a grand to do it. That includes cost of the cable. I am thinking I can do it.

It must come with a very large container of Vaseline for that price. It should not be hard, the challenge would be snaking the old one out and the new one in. To make the job easier going have to pull up the floor panel over the tank. I think there are some threads about R&R it. Contact http://www.skidim.com/ about part pricing should be about $200 or less.