PDA

View Full Version : 2002-2005 Moomba LSV Review?

ssevey17
09-07-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm currently not a Moomba owner, but am in the market for one in the next year or so. I've been looking at the 2002-2005 LSV. I know they redesigned the hulls in 2006. But I can find the older generations for a lot cheaper. My budget is around $20K. I read wakeboarding forums and see people tell me that I need to get a 2006+. But I'd like to hear the opinions of people who own or have ridden behind the 2002-2005. I will use the boat for 90% wakeboarding and maybe 10% wakesurfing (never done it but would try it if i had a vdrive). How's the wake when fully loaded? Reviews of Moomba Cruise?

I currently have a 1994 Starcraft 3.0L I/O with a wakeboard tower. I've learned 360s, backrolls and tantrums behind it. Just ready to upgrade to I can take my riding to the next level...

saskyrider
09-07-2016, 09:19 PM
My first vdrive was an 05lsv. It was a great boat... I used it for both surfing and boarding. You had to list it pretty hard for surfing but it threw a nice wake for boarding. Good boat for starting.. I will agree with what everyone else says though... if you can find an 06 I'd go with that for sure

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ssevey17
09-14-2016, 08:08 AM
TTT I'd really like to hear some experience from owners

Mikes
09-14-2016, 03:36 PM
We have a 04 LSV and really like it. There are several newer bigger wake boats in our cove but all the kids want to ride behind ours. We have 2200lbs.ballast and a ghetto gate we don't list it much. With the rear bags half full the wakeboard wake is nice! It has been a great boat the only problem we have had was a bad TPS. I have been in many other wake boats and they all have things I like a lot but with 2 kids in college our boat suits us just fine. Flame Suit applied!

brad460
09-14-2016, 04:21 PM
I had a 04 LSV for 7 years- loved the boat.

For surfing the boat was a bit finicky, but could make a decent wave most of the time.

We didnt do much wakeboarding, but it certainly put off a large enough wake for any amateur.

The only main issue we had with the boat was the steering cable internal corrosion made the steering difficult- but the cable was easily replaced by myself.

The 06 and newer hull is better because the boat is deeper...

snyderaaron
09-14-2016, 04:26 PM
No experience with those, but I would get the 06 if possible.

Leebo
09-14-2016, 09:47 PM
Just my $.02

1. If you're buying a used boat, buy a Moomba b/c this forum is simply the best. Generic searches of the internet when you need help will bring you back here.
2. Beyond the hull and physical condition, don't forget options/upgrades: wakeplate, ballast bags and pumps (I upgraded the old GIII), dual battery, prop, sound system, perfect pass, and [what else???]. For surfing, the Moomba Cruise works great. The SuckG8 has become a very cheap game changer. For wakeboarding and skiing, I am looking to upgrade to a GPS system... Add all this up, and you might find a cheaper '06+.
3. Where you ride - smaller lake or river would make the lower freeboard more manageable.
4. Resale - I'm in an '07 LSV and won't talk you out of the earlier hull b/c you're buying it close to the floor of where they trade if kept in good condition. If that's what you can afford and you maintain it, you will sell it close to where you bought it. When you're ready to upgrade, those priceless memories are almost free.
5. Welcome to the forum.

jrobb
09-15-2016, 01:00 PM
I had a 2002 outback lsv until this year and had great success with the wakeboard and surf wave. I ran 750lb sacs in rear lockers, 375lb in the ski locker,and a 550ibs. The wake was pretty meaty for wakeboarding and with a suck g8 the surf wave was dialed in. The only issue i had was running out of storage and a pretty brutal rough water ride. Here is a pic of the surf wavehttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/fbc01ff0a602154c1de8b38bdd829b1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

That Guy
09-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Here's an 06 for not much more...plus you can always talk him down going into winter time....http://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-for-sale-Chattanooga-Tennessee-60103.aspx

jtatexc
09-16-2016, 06:30 AM
I'm currently not a Moomba owner, but am in the market for one in the next year or so. I've been looking at the 2002-2005 LSV. I know they redesigned the hulls in 2006. But I can find the older generations for a lot cheaper. My budget is around $20K. I read wakeboarding forums and see people tell me that I need to get a 2006+. But I'd like to hear the opinions of people who own or have ridden behind the 2002-2005. I will use the boat for 90% wakeboarding and maybe 10% wakesurfing (never done it but would try it if i had a vdrive). How's the wake when fully loaded? Reviews of Moomba Cruise?

I currently have a 1994 Starcraft 3.0L I/O with a wakeboard tower. I've learned 360s, backrolls and tantrums behind it. Just ready to upgrade to I can take my riding to the next level...
And I could definitely be wrong but if you're anything like the rest of us, that 10% surf ratio will change. There is a reason surfing has gotten so big, I suspect you'll catch the bug too. The free board is a big deal in that regard and you'll grow tired of sinking the hull so low. Just my .02
This was the first year on a decade I didn't even put on a pair of bindngs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ssevey17
09-16-2016, 07:26 AM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately I probably can't convince the wife to let me get a new boat for a year or two. I'm just trying to do my homework early. Hopefully I can find a good deal on a 2006+ when that time comes.

Also, what do you think about the stock moomba cruise? I know its RPM based and not GPS. But how well does it work for you?

trayson
09-16-2016, 11:46 AM
And I could definitely be wrong but if you're anything like the rest of us, that 10% surf ratio will change. There is a reason surfing has gotten so big, I suspect you'll catch the bug too.

For me the biggest reasons are because we can't get smooth water all the time we go out, and because I don't have the stamina I did for wakeboarding/skiing that I used to have when I was half my age!

(and the wife only surfs, so there's that). :-)

VA LSV
09-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Purchased my LSV new in 05 and still love it. No complaints and never had to make a trip back to the dealer. As with any boat you have to experiment and dial in your wave but ours is very consistent. We added a suck gate and now our wave is even better. Kept the sprinkler valve ballast but upgraded to Iritrol valves. Boat is paid for and both kids are out of college and supporting themselves so I am not looking to upgrade. We go to the boat show every year and drool over the new boats and then get sticker shock at the prices. Told my son he can use it as a trade in when he wants to upgrade but I plan to retire.

csm
09-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Started with and '05 LSV and loved it as my first v-drive. For smooth water wakeboarding and surfing, it's a really good boat. If I didn't have kids, I would have kept it. However, now with kids, we do a lot more cruising around our choppy water lake, and the low freeboard gets a little scary at times when you have little kids in the boat. Moved to a much higher freeboard with my '13' and it's much better for rough water and more people. But I had no regrets with the '05.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skiyaker
09-23-2016, 08:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken those years LSV is a similar or same hull as my 2008'outback V. We've always loved ours as a family boat. Makes a decent open water ski wake too. We took some water over the bow the first time out but none since we learned how to drive it. Sure it's not the best for really rough water but my buddies that are used to I/O boats comment on how smooth it is.