PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl repair question

Pound
09-07-2016, 05:20 PM
So I backed over a tow rope this weekend and apparently when the prop snagged it, it tore a hole in the vinyl on the edge of the engine cover. Dealer sez $225 for replacement skin for whole deck lid plus charge to install it or $800+ for new deck lid. Unfortunately it's that textured vinyl that would be a hard match for a patch job I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pound
09-07-2016, 05:23 PM
sorry, forgot the question. i got distracted by how friggin hard it seems to be just to upload pics to this forum...

anyway, any ideas for alternative repairs? is this "patch-able" in a way that won't look hokey? it's not terribly noticeable.

sivs1
09-07-2016, 05:27 PM
You can get a vinyl repair kit from any auto parts store, it will have a mesh backing that you can put inside the cut and then use the glue in the kit. Use tweezers to get everything as flat as you can. Will look okay, and will get you by until you decide to replace it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gregski
09-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Locally, we have a guy that specializes in vinyl repair, he uses a professional version of the patches that sivs1 mentioned and his repairs are great. We found him through an auto upholstery shop.

sandm
09-07-2016, 06:29 PM
how bout some textured duct tape?? :)
https://slm-assets2.secondlife.com/assets/10036850/lightbox/duct_tape_logo.jpg?1406128739

on a brand new boat like that, I'd spring for the skin now and replace over the winter. I would have an upholstery shop lay the new skin tho.

MJHSupra
09-08-2016, 12:42 PM
I agree. Take it too a upholstery shop. If you do not like the look, replace it.
The good part is that section is dark and should be easier to hide.
New boat, at least it's not in a location that you will stare at it when driving or in the boat.

trayson
09-08-2016, 01:14 PM
how bout some textured duct tape?? :)
https://slm-assets2.secondlife.com/assets/10036850/lightbox/duct_tape_logo.jpg?1406128739

on a brand new boat like that, I'd spring for the skin now and replace over the winter. I would have an upholstery shop lay the new skin tho.

don't use duct tape. I had a small tear materialize and I threw a small piece of duct tape on there to keep it from getting worse. The duct tape's adhesive gets super soft in the hot sun and will eventually fail, leaving a mess of goo on the vinyl that's pretty hard to get off once the outer part of the tape is pulled off.

If you want a cheap and easy solution, you can use the Tear Aid vinyl repair. it's clear. It will get you by for about $8.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/3dff8ae1-5ae4-4e4d-9fbc-6ae5d29b13f1_1.649ca05674e3154f299118f479c882dc.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

After a couple years of my aging vinyl starting to wear out, my whole interior is pretty much held together with boxes of Tear-Aid. LOL

Pound
09-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I think sandm was kidding about the duct tape. (at least i hoped he was). I may not do anything to it right now and order the replacement from SC over the winter and get it installed properly. I agree the boat is too new to have sketchy repairs. Like i said above, it's not terribly noticeable and the season's more than half over for us. Only about 2-3 more months of riding time left ;-)

trayson
09-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I think sandm was kidding about the duct tape. (at least i hoped he was). I may not do anything to it right now and order the replacement from SC over the winter and get it installed properly. I agree the boat is too new to have sketchy repairs. Like i said above, it's not terribly noticeable and the season's more than half over for us. Only about 2-3 more months of riding time left ;-)

In that case, I would put some tear aid on it to keep it from ripping any more. when it comes time to do a pro repair, just peel off the tear aid and proceed.

sandm
09-08-2016, 05:19 PM
I think sandm was kidding about the duct tape. (at least i hoped he was).
trayson missed it....
https://i.imgflip.com/kywiy.jpg

trayson
09-09-2016, 05:34 PM
I only took it seriously because I actually threw a piece of duct tape on a tear in desperation when I was out on the water and didn't have any tear-aid with me to patch it on the spot! It was ghetto fabulous.