PDA

View Full Version : Craz or Helix for better wave?

PCDan
09-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone, brand new here, getting ou first boat, and debating between getting the new Helix or the Craz. I will be putting in the larger sacks and want the one that makes the best surf wave. I can't seem to find any wave reviews, probably because the Helix is so new. Will the Craz make a good wave with the larger sacks?

Thanks for any help ... Dan

lafranca1
09-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Hey everyone, brand new here, getting ou first boat, and debating between getting the new Helix or the Craz. I will be putting in the larger sacks and want the one that makes the best surf wave. I can't seem to find any wave reviews, probably because the Helix is so new. Will the Craz make a good wave with the larger sacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lafranca1
09-02-2016, 10:47 PM

https://www.facebook.com/MoombaBoats/videos/10153971621229232/

parrothd
09-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Like how he says factor ballast...........and some lead...

mattsask
09-02-2016, 11:28 PM

I replied to your question in the other thread, but here it is again.

Yep, definitely get the auto surf if you're getting a 2017. You'll need to upgrade the rear bags to 1100's for sure, so negotiate that as part of the deal.

I've put 95 hrs on my craz so far this summer. What I've fount to work best is about 3400-4200 lbs of ballast depending on crew size. We rode this afternoon with a crew of 5 and roughly 4200 lbs of water ballast. I've found that any more weight than that doesn't really improve the wave. We always favor one passenger to surf side. I haven't ridden the helix, but I would imagine it has a bit less potential because it is a shorter boat.

I should add that we still have lots of freeboard even with that much weight. Oh and the wave is great too!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PCDan
09-02-2016, 11:54 PM
I replied to your question in the other thread, but here it is again.

Yep, definitely get the auto surf if you're getting a 2017. You'll need to upgrade the rear bags to 1100's for sure, so negotiate that as part of the deal.

I've put 95 hrs on my craz so far this summer. What I've fount to work best is about 3400-4200 lbs of ballast depending on crew size. We rode this afternoon with a crew of 5 and roughly 4200 lbs of water ballast. I've found that any more weight than that doesn't really improve the wave. We always favor one passenger to surf side. I haven't ridden the helix, but I would imagine it has a bit less potential because it is a shorter boat.

I should add that we still have lots of freeboard even with that much weight. Oh and the wave is great too!

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you get up to 4200 lbs of water ballast with 2 rear sacks at only 1100 lbs each?

mattsask
09-03-2016, 12:00 AM
I put a 250 under the bow filler cushion and a 600 on the floor in front of the rear seat. Next season I'll definitely be using lead or steel under the bench seats instead.

sandm
09-03-2016, 06:02 AM
if it was my coin, I'd take the longer boat over a shorter boat anyday. 22-23ft seems to be the sweet spot for surfboats.

jtatexc
09-03-2016, 08:48 AM
if it was my coin, I'd take the longer boat over a shorter boat anyday. 22-23ft seems to be the sweet spot for surfboats.
Agree. It's amazing how much bigger each foot is over the size below. Even after having my craz I get in a mojo here and there and am surprised how much bigger that feels with only an extra foot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pipeliner07
09-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Everyone I've talked to that surf behind Helix says that there is a massive wake and it happens to be widest boat in moomba boats line up @102 " my dealer has personally surf behind a helix and said the wake is just as good if not better than any of the big boats. he's just not trying to sell me about he's a personal friend of mine ... I take his word for it

Pound
09-07-2016, 12:51 PM
i'm certainly not a hydraulic engineer or boat builder, but i think "the bigger the boat, the better the surf wake" is a myth. I actually think the shorter the boat, the less additional weight it takes to make a quality wave. I have nothing to back this up with other than anecdotal. the more surface area that contacts the water the more weight it takes to sink the boat deeper in the water. but the deeper the boat travels thru the water, the more the water displaces around the hull and converges behind the boat for a better wave w/less weight in the boat. so in a factory to factory ballast comparison, i think the shorter boat has the advantage. but you give up other features, like interior room.

sandm
09-07-2016, 04:41 PM
I could be mistaken and wolfman has been to more than probably most on this forums, but doubt many of the contests are being pulled by 20ft boats. seems that the 23ft boat seems to be the boat of choice for most contests.
now do get that the boat manuf. want to sell the larger boats so hence the reason to have them pull the contest, but you also want the best wave out there when it's being broadcast or posted across the internet and betting in most cases, it's that 22-23 ft boat in the lineup.

mattsask
09-07-2016, 06:11 PM
A larger boat displaces a larger volume of water and creates a more powerful wave. Ballast ed or not, a bigger boat will displace more water. Think about rollers from passing boats. Bet you've had far more close calls with rollers from large boats than from small ones.

Leebo
09-08-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that water displacement is a function of weight (rather than length)... at rest.

Once you get moving, the hull length, width and shape can offset this... at the same weight.

Length? Girth? or Weight???

sandm
09-08-2016, 05:21 PM

insert bad joke here..... :)

07STI
09-08-2016, 09:54 PM
insert bad joke here..... :)

I got a good laugh out of that!

Connolly_Crew
09-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Craz,
Mic drop

Connolly_Crew
09-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that water displacement is a function of weight (rather than length)... at rest.

Once you get moving, the hull length, width and shape can offset this... at the same weight.

O_o
Hahahahahaha

doingr8
09-19-2016, 10:03 PM

Stock Helix with my son who can't get enough of it.

BrettLee3232
09-20-2016, 01:17 AM
Nice helix wave!