PDA

View Full Version : Bad catalytic converter?

jfintexas
09-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Well fellow forum members, a few days in on my 16 SA550 and we have an issue. Engine started bogging down at 3000RPM and then would rev back and forth between 2500-3000 but never above. Got the attached error message (eventually) and took the boat into local dealer. Turns out the catalytic converter is shot and some localized heat damage to some hoses (melted holes). They're doing more diagnosis, working with Supra and Indmar on root cause. Looks like I am out of commission for a bit :-/. 120 hours on the boat. It was used for training and the Local DFW area Pro Wake Tour. I'll keep you all in the loop on the prognosis.

Anyone else had issues with the cat on newer Supras or Moomba's?

icemanftr
09-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Damn I'm sorry man. That's rediculous for something of that nature so soon or at all for the price of SA550. Hope they get it figured out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
09-02-2016, 05:02 AM
This isn't a Supra Moomba issue, this is a Raptor engine issue. Please don't confuse that.

This engine could have gone into any boat and had this issue.

Doesn't matter the price of the boat, when it's an engine issue.

There is always a small % of parts that go bad ahs that's what it sounds like here, you got the short stick on the quality of that part.

icemanftr
09-02-2016, 06:42 AM
This isn't a Supra Moomba issue, this is a Raptor engine issue. Please don't confuse that.

This engine could have gone into any boat and had this issue.

Doesn't matter the price of the boat, when it's an engine issue.

There is always a small % of parts that go bad ahs that's what it sounds like here, you got the short stick on the quality of that part.

I'm well aware of that. I also know SC and Indmar will take care of it, just a bummer to deal with during peak season.

jfintexas
09-02-2016, 07:43 AM
I agree with both of you and understand the distinction between it being a Supra issue and a Indmar issue. According to the dealer, both Indmar and Supra are at the table to help figure this out. They are rushing parts (there was literally 1 cat available and they're rush painting and shipping it to minimize downtime). It could be as simple as that small percent bad draw of parts. I am pushing all parties, though, for a root cause. It is frustrating to take a new boat out for the first time with friends and family and be left crippled on the far side of the lake.

Thanks for your insight and your sentiment guys. I'm confident they will do right and fix this.

jfintexas
09-02-2016, 09:20 PM
The cat and supporting parts should arrive tomorrow and I should be back in business this weekend! Still awaiting root cause but use of my new boat is also great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woody929
09-02-2016, 11:37 PM
The cat and supporting parts should arrive tomorrow and I should be back in business this weekend! Still awaiting root cause but use of my new boat is also great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure the crew at the SS will get you taken care of. They are top notch!

icemanftr
09-03-2016, 02:01 AM
I'm sure the crew at the SS will get you taken care of. They are top notch!

SS? 🤓

jfintexas
09-03-2016, 05:23 AM
Woody929, they have been great. They are clearly motivated to get us back up and running as soon as possible.

Iceman, SS is Slalom Shop in Lewisville, TX. They are the local Supra/Moomba dealer.

icemanftr
09-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Woody929, they have been great. They are clearly motivated to get us back up and running as soon as possible.

Iceman, SS is Slalom Shop in Lewisville, TX. They are the local Supra/Moomba dealer.

Good to hear you are getting taken care of! Least you guys have a few good months left down there to play. Already in 50s at night here. 😐

jfintexas
09-06-2016, 01:02 PM
I thought I would update everyone on the cat issue. They did end up replacing the bad cat. It is on its way back to SC for further examination. I took the boat out yesterday and it runs like a champ again. I will provide another update when I get root cause back from the dealer. Thanks all!

icemanftr
09-06-2016, 04:09 PM
I thought I would update everyone on the cat issue. They did end up replacing the bad cat. It is on its way back to SC for further examination. I took the boat out yesterday and it runs like a champ again. I will provide another update when I get root cause back from the dealer. Thanks all!

Good to hear!!! 🍻

russellsmojo
09-06-2016, 06:35 PM

Cool seeing it on lewisville even though for wrong reason! Glad you are rolling again!

jfintexas
09-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks Russell! Looking forward to meeting you one of these days.

docuw
06-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Thanks Russell! Looking forward to meeting you one of these days.

Did you ever get answers on this? 2018 Supra SL and ours is down for the cats.

Mgigs7
06-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Did you have the recall done on the 550? Mine was running great last summer then they did a recall flash on it and now I’m getting this code as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180602/706da1263916d1cf12e2ab2af0a6015b.heic