PDA

View Full Version : Factory subwoofer

moombaman16
08-31-2016, 09:19 PM
I have a 16 craz, the factory stereo includes just the four speakers in the main seating area. I want to add bow speakers and the factory sub under the steering wheel, I was wondering were would be the best place to by the sub, also what else would I need, like what amp or any other accessories that I need. Does the boat come pre wired for the sub and bow speakers? I thought I read some where that the holes for the bow speakers are already there you just have to remove a panel is this correct? How does the factory sub mount under the steering wheel as well? Any information would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

KG's Supra24
08-31-2016, 10:07 PM
No reason to purchase the factory sub as there is no factory box you are trying to match. You will need a sub and box. This can be done many ways, from buying an all in one sub/amp/box to having a custom built enclosure made.

The bow speakers should be wired to the speaker location. Im unclear where the other end is (head unit or amp rack) if you do not have a factory amp rack.

You will want an amp or 2 or 3 :)

Do you have a budget in mind?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

moombaman16
08-31-2016, 10:14 PM
When I talk to the dealer about adding the factory package, which includes factory sub, bow speakers and amp was about $1500, so a budget would be around that but would like to spend less. A friend of mine bought a mojo at the same time his has the factory setup. I really like the look of the sub under the steering wheel and I like how it lights up with the other interior lights. Any recommendations?

KG's Supra24
08-31-2016, 10:24 PM
If you want everything to match ....

You could pick up a set of bow speakers from the forum. Km61. Then pick up a 10 or 12 kicker sub and have a box built. Add 5 channel amp. It would turn out better than factory and around that budget id think.

Of course, lots of other options.

On the sub, what are your resources for a box? Diy, local installer, etc

KG's Supra24
08-31-2016, 10:30 PM
Just eyeballed kickers marine led sub. Assuming it's the moomba factory sub ... you will be giving up some bass to get the led built in. I, personally, would consider the fact you can add led seperately

moombaman16
08-31-2016, 10:47 PM
I have never dealt with any local installers, nor have I ever built my own box. The salesman where I bought my boat recommend the wet sounds sub enclousre with the built in amp, but I do like the idea of keeping everything kicker. Do you have any recommendations for a box, also would would you recommend on the led lighting?

MLA
08-31-2016, 11:07 PM
you will be giving up some bass to get the led built in.

How so? You can get a Kicker L7 12 with a white, charcoal or chrome RGB LEDs grill and drive it with a KXM1200.1 marine amp. Seems like a chit load of bass with a factory looking grill with LEDs.

http://www.kicker.com/led-subwoofer-grilles

KG's Supra24
08-31-2016, 11:08 PM
I like the "sound" of all wetsounds :)

The all in sub solution is a good one. Especially without box building resources. The free air factory mount leaves alot to be desired.

All wetsounds .... the 10" all in one, 3 pairs xs65, htx4 or 6. With a package discount you could likely get the led in boats and be under the 1500 budget.

Your future desire for tower speakers should be considered when choosing an amp now.

BrettLee3232
08-31-2016, 11:11 PM
I have never dealt with any local installers, nor have I ever built my own box. The salesman where I bought my boat recommend the wet sounds sub enclousre with the built in amp, but I do like the idea of keeping everything kicker. Do you have any recommendations for a box, also would would you recommend on the led lighting?

Well if you want to keep kicker then I would do some kicker 6.5s in bow. I actually have a pair of you want to save some money. Well I actually have four pair lol. If it were me I would do (2) Kicker KM10s under your helm. It will easily fit and you won't loose any legroom. I have (4) under there. Two tens will give you twice the surface area and will sound great. Good news is the kicker 800.5 will power (2) 10s perfectly. They will also power (4) cabin speakers. You will need an additional amp for your bow speakers though. Do you have any tower speakers?

Let me know if you want a pair or two of the kicker speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
08-31-2016, 11:16 PM
Led in boats (650s) ....

http://i.imgur.com/HAeEtiF.jpg

KG's Supra24
08-31-2016, 11:23 PM
How so? You can get a Kicker L7 12 with a white, charcoal or chrome RGB LEDs grill and drive it with a KXM1200.1 marine amp. Seems like a chit load of bass with a factory looking grill with LEDs.

http://www.kicker.com/led-subwoofer-grilles
I stand corrected. I pulled kickers website and filtered to marine ... that pulls lower wattage 10s.

I'm not familiar with kickers non marine woofers in this application so I didn't look. Could have prefaced I searched marine

BrettLee3232
08-31-2016, 11:26 PM
I stand corrected. I pulled kickers website and filtered to marine ... that pulls lower wattage 10s.

I'm not familiar with kickers non marine woofers in this application so I didn't look. Could have prefaced I searched marine

Kicker has the Marine L7 now as well as the KM10

KG's Supra24
08-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Kicker has the Marine L7 now as well as the KM10

Someone needs to notify Crutchfields filter designer stat. This has gotten out of hand :p

BrettLee3232
08-31-2016, 11:43 PM
Someone needs to notify Crutchfields filter designer stat. This has gotten out of hand :p

lol yeah crutch field is behind in the times. I think they have been out over a year now or so. I'm going to add a 15" to my system 🤘🏻

MLA
09-01-2016, 12:02 AM

lol yeah crutch field is behind in the times. I think they have been out over a year now or so. I'm going to add a 15" to my system ����

Or just consult a Kicker Marine Audio who's actually a boater.

KG's Supra24
09-01-2016, 12:10 AM
Are there any options between the km10 and L7?

Moombaman, where are you located? There may be recommended shops in your area that could help with an enclosure.

BrettLee3232
09-01-2016, 02:14 AM

Moombaman, where are you located? There may be recommended shops in your area that could help with an enclosure.

Just the 10-12-15" L7

I have (4) KM10s in my boat & it pounds! Not a lot of watts, only 800 to all 4 but it's a lot of surface area.

MLA
09-01-2016, 07:41 AM

If one wants the marine style grill with LEDs, no, the KM10 and L series are the only woofers that Kicker offers an LED loaded grill.

However, if one want more bass than the KM10 but at a smaller budget than the L series. any off the Kicker woofers will be well suited. ALL Kicker woofers use a rubber surround and 100% synthetic (no paper) cone. Most, if not all, now have an enclosed magnet and an aluminum basket. These woofers are offered in single and dual voice coil options. The DVC options come in both 2 ohm and 4 ohm. This makes it real easy to pair the woofer up with an existing amp or a new amp.

Kicker offers a grill for all of their woofers. With a little work, they can be outfit with LEDs in order to match the rest of one's lighting design.

moombaman16
09-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Well if you want to keep kicker then I would do some kicker 6.5s in bow. I actually have a pair of you want to save some money. Well I actually have four pair lol. If it were me I would do (2) Kicker KM10s under your helm. It will easily fit and you won't loose any legroom. I have (4) under there. Two tens will give you twice the surface area and will sound great. Good news is the kicker 800.5 will power (2) 10s perfectly. They will also power (4) cabin speakers. You will need an additional amp for your bow speakers though. Do you have any tower speakers?

Let me know if you want a pair or two of the kicker speakers.

I am really thinking about getting some of theses from you, these are the factory now speakers right? Have you thought of a price? And yes I have factory tower rosewell speakers

moombaman16
09-01-2016, 12:19 PM

I am located in wnc, there a few shops around, I am a diesel mechanic for a living so I was hoping to do this myself, even though stereos are a little different than Diesel engines lol.

moombaman16
09-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys for all the information, I have a factory amp and tower speakers. I have a get a kicker sub can I buy a premade box or would I have to get one made?

MLA
09-01-2016, 01:08 PM
I am located in wnc, there a few shops around, I am a diesel mechanic for a living so I was hoping to do this myself, even though stereos are a little different than Diesel engines lol.

Where is WNC?

As to the enclosure: You do not want an off the shelf car audio box. They are typically made of thin MDF and covered in water absorbing trunk liner like carpet. The MDF is raw and the enclosure will rot out in a couple seasons. You also have to take into account the shape and dimensions of a pre-made enclosure fitting the intended space. Second, You want the enclosure to match the woofer's specs. Although sealed enclosures can be forgiving in terms of their internal volume, you still dont want to be too far away. Too large and the woofer is dull and sloppy. Too small and its a one note wonder. A custom enclosure will address all these during the design and build.

moombaman16
09-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Where is WNC?

As to the enclosure: You do not want an off the shelf car audio box. They are typically made of thin MDF and covered in water absorbing trunk liner like carpet. The MDF is raw and the enclosure will rot out in a couple seasons. You also have to take into account the shape and dimensions of a pre-made enclosure fitting the intended space. Second, You want the enclosure to match the woofer's specs. Although sealed enclosures can be forgiving in terms of their internal volume, you still dont want to be too far away. Too large and the woofer is dull and sloppy. Too small and its a one note wonder. A custom enclosure will address all these during the design and build.
I live in Asheville, NC

KG's Supra24
09-01-2016, 01:30 PM
The man speaking with all the kicker knowledge is 2 hours from you .... and has some experience with marine audio ;)

BrettLee3232
09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
I am really thinking about getting some of theses from you, these are the factory now speakers right? Have you thought of a price? And yes I have factory tower rosewell speakers

russelsmojo sold two pair for $100 + shipping so I was thinking like $80-$90 + shipping? They aren't LED though. PM me I might be able to get you some amps to.

MLA
09-01-2016, 03:53 PM
I live in Asheville, NC

LOL, I was just up there Tuesday. Might be back up there in another week.

viking
09-01-2016, 06:11 PM

OP - Take your boat to this guy............He knows his stuff and you'll get a great system within your budget!!

BrettLee3232
09-02-2016, 01:27 AM
I live in Asheville, NC

I agree, if you are near MLA I would take it to him. He is very knowledgeable & helped me design my system.

David Analog
09-02-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm another one who says the moment the season is over, just take it to MLA. Purchase the gear from him. Have him build the enclosure, do the installation, and do the tune. It will look good, it will sound good, and it will last.

moombaman16
09-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Do you do work in Asheville sometimes?

jmvotto
09-02-2016, 09:46 AM
my local audio shop just got the kicker marine line and the demo wall was pretty impressive both visually and acoustically

philwsailz
09-02-2016, 10:02 AM
I'd be alright with you using Kicker... :D

Phil
Kicker...

David Analog
09-02-2016, 12:20 PM

Phil
Kicker...

That doesn't come as a complete surprise. As usual, fair, impartial, and most important, very accurate.

jmvotto
09-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Phil
Kicker...

like button......

MLA
09-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Do you do work in Asheville sometimes?

Actually, both myself and my wife are up there for work, frequently. Having said that, custom work on a boat is best done in the shop.