PDA

View Full Version : Used Ski Boat Options

jstenger
08-31-2016, 09:22 AM
First off, I am keeping my 2014 LSV and staying true to my Moomba family. That being said, I am looking to buy an older ski boat. There are no Moombas in my area, but I did find a 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with 1500+ hours on it and a 2003 Malibu Echalon that are both in really good condition. Any thoughts on either of these boats. Thanks.

mattsask
08-31-2016, 12:30 PM
We have a craz as well as a 94 prostar 190. It has around 1400 hrs on it and going strong. Those pure ski boats are so simple and bare bones that there isn't really a lot to go wrong. I can't speak for the 2001 but our 94 is an absolute dream to ski behind.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

zabooda
08-31-2016, 04:11 PM
For skiing, go as light as you can which would be the Prostar. I skied last week behind a 2004 Response with the Corvette engine and I was disappointed with the wake as it was similar to what I have behind my Moomba. When I ski behind the Prostar, there is very little wake. No room inside but great wake.

sandm
08-31-2016, 04:52 PM
not sure on your budget. there's a boomerang in idaho for sale for 5k or offer. offer 4 and ship it. my buddy has one and the wake behind that boat is nothing..
as zabooda mentions tho, it's only designed for 3- driver/observer/skier. any more and it's tight.

jstenger
09-01-2016, 08:10 AM
I did see that one in Idaho. I also found one in Michigan. I believe the Boomerang has wood under the floor, and that worries me. It does look like a cool boat. It has that race boat look to it.

jstenger
09-01-2016, 08:36 AM
I was able to go look at the Echelon. Very good shape for a 23 year old boat. Less than 400 hours, two small nicks in the vinyl, no spider cracks, couple nicks in the gelcoat, and the computron looks like it works. Plan on lake testing it next week.

sivs1
09-01-2016, 10:19 AM
400 hours in 23 years? Must have been used only for skiing and no more than an hour each time out. Very low hours almost concerning, however it is only a ski boat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

maxpower220
09-01-2016, 11:44 AM
The 2001 MC is the EVO, probably the least desirable hull. 94 era was maybe the best ski wake of MC.

deerfield
09-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Joe - Here is a recommendation from Waterski magazine online regarding five used ski boats. - Stuart

http://www.waterskimag.com/boat-reviews/2010/06/10/5-standout-used-ski-boats

trayson
09-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Joe - Here is a recommendation from Waterski magazine online regarding five used ski boats. - Stuart

http://www.waterskimag.com/boat-reviews/2010/06/10/5-standout-used-ski-boats

cool article. Agree with their choices.

jstenger
09-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the article. I do plan on lake testing the Echelon Tuesday, but I am also going to keep looking at other options. Maybe I can find one of the boats in the article.

mattsask
09-01-2016, 11:23 PM
That would explain why out 94 is such a dream. I've also heard that era is sought-after.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

iwaterskihard
09-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Wait the rest of the year out. There is always good deals at the end of the ski year. Somewhere someone will finally be ready to pull the trigger on a newer more expensive boat. I know this to be true because I have been that guy a few times! LOL

However with that said what are you planning on doing with the boat: free skiing, course skiing, trick skiing, & jumping? Do you need/want speed control PerfectPass/ZO. Boats can be upgraded to both but the upgrades will come at an extra cost.

As much as it sounds great to just go out and buy an affordable slalom tug (that comment coming from a slalom only dude) there's lots to consider in the ride.

Every boat I have owned has always offered me something the one I sold didn't of I never would have continued to buy.

Just ask yourself what your needs REALLY are and you should be good to go!

jstenger
09-02-2016, 11:08 PM
I plan to use it to pull my sons thru the course on our lake and free ski. My 14 year old is currently sking 15 off @ 34mph, and my 12 year old just started running the beginner course.

iwaterskihard
09-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Oh oh you're in trouble! LOL I mean that in a good way. That said if your kids really start digging the skiing game and becoming competitive tournament skiers you will be upgrading the boat to accommodate their skiing needs.

That said I wouldn't even consider a boat that doesn't have PerfectPass already installed in it at a minimum. You need to have a boat with a speed control timer in it. Unfortunately most ZO boats are 2007 and newer which also brings the cost up. As I stated in my previous posts I know as I was the victim of upgrading boats and now own a ZO boat. There's many a discussion on PP vs ZO on ballofspray.com and many different opinions on both.

There is also a big difference in the pull from PP to ZO. There is no forgiveness with ZO and some people find it harder to ski behind (me included). At our lakes I ski behind both. With that said though just about all AWSA events use only ZO boats.

Keep your eye out on ski-it-again & onlyinboards this fall and good luck!

Let us know what you ended up with?

skiyaker
09-23-2016, 06:37 PM
I have my 2008 outback V for open water and a 2001 nautique closed bow which is the TSC1 hull for the private ski lake. You can't go wrong with the TSC1 for tracking and wake size. I love the 2 boat system.

jstenger
09-24-2016, 09:28 AM
I ended up going with the 1993 Echelon. The boys love skiing behind it.

iwaterskihard
09-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Awesome. Next up is pics!