PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 raptor 400 oil change

mattsask
08-28-2016, 10:34 PM
I'm planning on changing the oil in my craz when I get to the cottage tomorrow, but after reading my owners manual, I have a few questions. The manual indicates I should use semi synthetic 5w30, but I thought I read in another thread that synthetic should not be used until after 100 engine hours. Should I be using non synthetic for now?
Any suggestions for oil?
Also, how many litres will I need?

The manual indicates that there are both spin on and cartridge style filters. The boat is at the cottage so I'm unable to verify, does anyone know which filter my engine would take?

My dealer is a 3 hr drive away, and I'm not able to get there before I head to the cottage. Will I be able to find a filter at my local parts store or does the engine take some special marine filter?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
08-28-2016, 10:41 PM
I changed the oil & filter in friends Craz a few weekends ago. Spin on filter and I think I used about 7.5 qts of oil. I bought the Indmar filter & oil from the dealership, but think I remember seeing that it was full synthetic oil. Prior to the raptor motors, it was posted to avoid full synthetic until after 100 hrs.

FYI - the 440 motor in my Supra uses a cartridge filter. Think it's Volvo OEM.

mattsask
08-28-2016, 10:49 PM
I changed the oil & filter in friends Craz a few weekends ago. Spin on filter and I think I used about 7.5 qts of oil. I bought the Indmar filter & oil from the dealership, but think I remember seeing that it was full synthetic oil. Prior to the raptor motors, it was posted to avoid full synthetic until after 100 hrs.

FYI - the 440 motor in my Supra uses a cartridge filter. Think it's Volvo OEM.
So, I'm at 90 hrs. Will I be safe using semi-synthetic or what do you suggest?

wolfeman131
08-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Sorry! Semi-synthetic is what you need.

mattsask
08-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks!!

mattsask
08-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Is there a generic automotive filter I can use? My dealer is 3 hrs away and the local indmar dealer was mind blowingly useless when I went in there this morning. They sell sangers with indmar engines, but couldn't even find a part number let alone tell me if they had a filter in stock.

DFTR Josh
08-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Got my part number from the manual when I changed mine on the Craz, picked it up at the local auto store. You can try this also click here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2016+Raptor+400+oil+filter)... :cool:

mattsask
08-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Haha ya, I ended up having to get my owners manual from my truck and gave them the part number. They still couldn't tell me if they even had the part, let alone cross reference it to tell me if I could find a replacement elsewhere. I am so glad I didn't buy a boat from that dealership when I had the opportunity

mattsask
09-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Sorry! Semi-synthetic is what you need.
I changed the oil and filter today. I used semi-synthetic as per your recommendation and the owners manual. I ended up calling my dealer today to verify a few things and book my winterization visit. When I asked the service manager about the semi-synthetic and synthetic difference and what they use, he told me that my engine has had full synthetic oil in it since I picked it up with 0.7 hours on it. This includes full synthetic oil change at my 20 hour service. This goes against everything I've been told by a number of mechanics and people in the know. Is this service manager I spoke with misinformed? Has this done damage to my engine? Any insight is appreciated.

Moombers
09-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Raptor 6.2 oil filters

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Moombers
09-01-2016, 10:20 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/d128a52ed55abcb122302c3f270db2ce.jpg

Moombers
09-01-2016, 10:21 PM
I use the fram ph2

mattsask
09-01-2016, 10:43 PM
I appreciate the info. Yukon2007 sent me that info a couple days ago and I picked up both the ph2 and mobile one filters.

MMPRES
09-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Had a little bit of an issue this weekend. Went to change the oil on my 2016 Craz this week. The oil change went off without a hitch. Pulled the oil from the pan hose, replaced the filter (went with the FL820S motorcraft filter), added the eight quarts as per usual and thought I was good to go (this was Saturday). Dump the boat in the water yesterday, starts up no problem, had it idling for about 5 ish minutes, oil pressure was in the 50's. Put it in gear to get going and the engine goes in to limp mode. Checked oil pressure and it was less than 10 PSI. Pulled out the dip stick, dry as a bone. The oil filter had some oil on the outside of it, but I didn't seem to have 8 quarts of oil sitting in my engine compartment. So the question is where did I go wrong? I spoke with the dealer prior to the oil change and they said the FL820S filter is right for my engine. Friend of mine asked if I had overtorqued the oil filter, but it didn't have any cracks/holes/opening etc. Any ideas?

lsupcar
09-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Did the old oil filter gasket stay on the filter upon removal, or did it remain on the housing?

MMPRES
09-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Haven't pulled it back off yet as I didn't have the tools with me on the water at the time, but that's likely the problem. That the seal broke loose on the filter. Makes sense. I'll take a look at it and get back to you.

flienlow
09-20-2017, 04:17 PM
What is the secret to getting all of the oil out of the engine? I know there is drain tube. Last year I ran the drain tube out through the Hull (boat) plug. I started the engine for a few minutes and then drained the oil into a pan.

Issues: the oil just trickled out and took about 1 1/2 hours to drain. No sure it fully drained. bow was not pointed down hill either.

Suggestions?

mattsask
09-20-2017, 04:43 PM
What is the secret to getting all of the oil out of the engine? I know there is drain tube. Last year I ran the drain tube out through the Hull (boat) plug. I started the engine for a few minutes and then drained the oil into a pan.

Issues: the oil just trickled out and took about 1 1/2 hours to drain. No sure it fully drained. bow was not pointed down hill either.

Suggestions?I use a pneumatic oil extractor. Insert it in the drain tube and extract the oil in 5 minutes

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Engine Nut
09-20-2017, 05:06 PM
The 400 and 440 Raptors use semi-synthetic or fully synthetic 5W30 meeting the API rating of SN. The old no synthetics for 100 hours does not apply to these engines. They are going to hold close to 8 quarts.

MJHSupra
09-20-2017, 10:33 PM
The Engine Nut has spoken. Thanks. The End.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

MMPRES
10-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Did the old oil filter gasket stay on the filter upon removal, or did it remain on the housing?

Bingo! Removed it this last weekend and the other gasket came right on top of the other. :rolleyes: You can bet that's a $45 (8 quart) mistake I'll never make again. Thanks for the input.

donbrown23
10-09-2017, 02:48 PM
I have the 2016 Craz too and can't find the pan hose. Where is it located/attached? Thanks in advance.

mattsask
10-09-2017, 02:55 PM
I have the 2016 Craz too and can't find the pan hose. Where is it located/attached? Thanks in advance.Port side. About same height as spark plugs. It's clipped to a black mount.would be difficult to miss

mattsask
10-09-2017, 05:46 PM
When I said port, I meant to say starboard. Sorry!

donbrown23
10-11-2017, 01:05 PM
When I said port, I meant to say starboard. Sorry!

Found it, thanks. When I found it I must say, I was thinking yea, this would be hard to miss, HA

DRHRSH
10-20-2017, 11:23 PM
This question has been asked but today I did my oil change and was only able to extract 6 qts with my vacuum extractor? After the difficulty I had last year I purchased an extra long tube which definitely hit the bottom of the oil pan. Last year I tried the drain tube out the transom and as others have noted I only got a quart or so from there.

Alerberg
10-23-2017, 02:03 PM
FYI... Walmart has the Motorcraft 5W30 semi-synthetic oil that is recommend for the Raptor motor. It was about $19 for 5gal.

Darter
10-23-2017, 03:22 PM
This question has been asked but today I did my oil change and was only able to extract 6 qts with my vacuum extractor? After the difficulty I had last year I purchased an extra long tube which definitely hit the bottom of the oil pan. Last year I tried the drain tube out the transom and as others have noted I only got a quart or so from there.Do you have a large spin on filter? That could hold nearly a quart.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

smorris7
10-23-2017, 04:30 PM
This question has been asked but today I did my oil change and was only able to extract 6 qts with my vacuum extractor? After the difficulty I had last year I purchased an extra long tube which definitely hit the bottom of the oil pan. Last year I tried the drain tube out the transom and as others have noted I only got a quart or so from there.

Are you running the engine up to normal temps before you vac the oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk