PDA

View Full Version : Anchor??

Pipeliner07
08-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Hey guys just curious on what kind of anchor you would recommend for my new helix and what weight

moombahighrider
08-28-2016, 03:18 PM
http://www.slideanchor.com

csm
08-28-2016, 03:40 PM
^^^ I'll never own a different kind of anchor than this. Sooooo much better than the typical danforth anchor and requires way less rope to be let out. I've never had to reset a slide/box anchor once I've thrown it overboard.

Pipeliner07
08-28-2016, 04:11 PM
They look a little bulky do you guys stow them on the boat all the time or just when you're going to Anchor

mmandley
08-28-2016, 04:24 PM
I use the above anchor as well, especially after my danforth was bent and the boat was released across the cove. Luckily I was standing on tg out the back as my boat went floating by. Scary as hell.

Bit of a wind storm and it bent it until it released. I even had a stern anchor but it wasn't set as deep as the bow.

The box anchor above folds in half making it easier to stow, I also have a nice half heavy mesh and plastic bag to stow it in so it doesn't scratch anything.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20131013_115429_zpsgz1qiwtc.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20131013_115429_zpsgz1qiwtc.jpg.html)

moombahighrider
08-28-2016, 04:31 PM
They look a little bulky do you guys stow them on the boat all the time or just when you're going to Anchor

I have 2. I keep one in the boat with a 30' stretch line and buoy all the time. The second I take with me as a spare when I go to Powell (I've lost quite a few anchors over the years). It is a little bulky but stores just fine under the center bow filler seat or in the under seat storage.

Pipeliner07
08-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Ok thanks for all information think I'm going to try the folding box anchor and see how it works

zabooda
08-28-2016, 08:03 PM

You should always have an anchor available.

Ironcross25
08-28-2016, 09:40 PM
I have the digger anchor. Never have an issue setting that thing. Holds great. I can usually set it by just throwing out and pulling back. Sometime use the reverse method too. Fits perfect in the nose under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
08-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Ok thanks for all information think I'm going to try the folding box anchor and see how it works

Love my box anchor. it really doesn't take up much space at all. mine is under one of my bow seats. I think honestly, it takes up about as much space as a life vest and it has a nice storage bag.

BrettLee3232
08-29-2016, 02:20 AM
+1 for the box anchor.

Funny story, I tripped and stubbed my toe on a lost box anchor. That's how it became mine haha works like a champ!

patrick232
08-29-2016, 06:23 AM
I have the digger anchor. Never have an issue setting that thing. Holds great. I can usually set it by just throwing out and pulling back. Sometime use the reverse method too. Fits perfect in the nose under the seat.

After having to cut a Danforth loose about a decade ago, I have had a digger on my boats. They almost aways set on the first toss with a little reverse.

bluice311
08-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Box anchor all the way! Just toss it over and forget about it. I've never had it come loose.

mikenehrkorn
08-29-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm all in with the box anchor as well. I have used pretty much every variety of anchor over the years and could never get one to consistently hold on our muck-bottom lake, but the box anchor never fails.....like said above, just throw if over the side and tie it off!!

Like Trayson, mine folds flat and has a nice storage bag that actually takes up less room than most of the other anchors I have had.

parrothd
08-29-2016, 08:29 PM
I use the above anchor as well, especially after my danforth was bent and the boat was released across the cove. Luckily I was standing on tg out the back as my boat went floating by. Scary as hell.

Bit of a wind storm and it bent it until it released. I even had a stern anchor but it wasn't set as deep as the bow.

The box anchor above folds in half making it easier to stow, I also have a nice half heavy mesh and plastic bag to stow it in so it doesn't scratch anything.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20131013_115429_zpsgz1qiwtc.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20131013_115429_zpsgz1qiwtc.jpg.html)
You need the chain leader for those type of anchors, helps them set with using reverse or when they break loose. Makes them harder to store though.

5:00
08-30-2016, 10:14 AM
I use one of the above with a rope only and no chain. We have muck bottoms and I have had no problems over the years. I would rather have a folding box anchor for space. The 75 feet of rope takes up more room than the anchor though.

mmandley
08-30-2016, 11:46 AM
You need the chain leader for those type of anchors, helps them set with using reverse or when they break loose. Makes them harder to store though.

Good tip but after that incident I moved to the box.

Until then I never had an issue, and looking at it, I don't see how a chain would have helped, that was some serious pressure on it to bend it. It was dug into a hole and buried and that's how it came out from the wind blowing the boat.

zabooda
08-30-2016, 12:19 PM
The Danforth had some serious side forces on it that would indicate the anchor was set and the boat either shifted to port about 45-90 degrees or the wind and waves were such to cause the boat to shift in that direction while the anchor remained set.

Crane man
08-30-2016, 05:34 PM
I love the box anchor. I boat mostly rivers some with strong currents and the box holds

parrothd
08-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Good tip but after that incident I moved to the box.

Until then I never had an issue, and looking at it, I don't see how a chain would have helped, that was some serious pressure on it to bend it. It was dug into a hole and buried and that's how it came out from the wind blowing the boat.

The chain helps put down pressure on the handle and causes the anchor to drag on the bottom helping the flutes dig in. Without the chain when you hit reverse the rope may pull up on the handle making harder to set.

I saw it on ship shape tv..lol ..

From the reviews here the box anchor is the way to go.

CFD3Captain
08-30-2016, 07:07 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Richter Anchor. I love mine! I have never tried the box anchor, but I know I would like it based on all the positive feedback I have read from here and other forums. For now, the Richter does the job well! http://richteranchors.com

MJHSupra
08-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Anyone ever see this one? It was discussed on a boating show.
Looks like a 13lb one goes for $129.
They look to be for bigger boats.

http://www.mantusanchors.com/mantus-anchors/

viking
08-31-2016, 08:58 AM
I use the digger as well. FWIW I had a box anchor and it worked OK but after I lost it thought I'd try another and purchased the digger.
I know people rave about the box but have had both and like the digger better for the lakes we tend to boat on. Mostly rock or muddy bottoms.