PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Usage

mattjj23
07-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I have an 06' Outback with the 310 assualt carb engine. My boat has 23 hours on it now. While I was out on the lake today I started with a full tank of gas, according to my gas gauge. At the end of the day it is showing 1/4 tank left. I slalom skied one time around and did some wakeboarding/kneeboarding but it wasnt non-stop. Are these fuel gauges just hard to read or does my boat love to burn fuel?

Wolf-
07-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Both. I have the same engine.
The in-tank float is at a disadvantage in the shallow tank.
Mine is the same way. (;
I top off my tank at the end of each day (also helps to prevent condensation) and record the hours and gallons. Then do the math and figure out your GPH. Do both a for the day calculation and then a long term (over the last 3 outings). The later will help give you an overall usage per hour and minimize issues with pump handles that kick off too early, etc. I run a log book and keep track of outside temp, water temp, passengers, conditions, fuel, maintenance, etc.

Roughly:
Kneeboarding/skiing/wakeboarding we run about 3-4 GPH (family of 4 +- 2 adults)
Kneeboarding/Wakeboarding with nearly 1400# (family, friends and/or ballast) we are 4-5 gph.
Moderate crusing (25-30mph) is 4-5.
Tubing and wide open crusing is like 6 GPH.

I've gotten written permission from Indmar to add a fuel flow sensor to my craft (and not blow my warranty). Thats my next big project sometime this fall. I've decided on the LoranceNet system and will have fuel flow, gps, and aux engine temp sensor (since my thermo quotes me at 190-200 instead of 160-180) all run to one display. Lowrance sales guy chuckled when I asked if I could dump the data to a laptop. He said, what size craft again?

Wolf-
07-22-2006, 10:48 PM
One other thing, that carb loves good gas.
I'm just over 60 hours since march, and 3 tanks back had a real bad batch.
Took 2 tanks to get most of the problems out of her.
She would idle around 900 like she is supposed to, as soon as she went into gear, would drop to around 300-400 and complain. Cough and sputter and the engine sound like it wanted to jump out of the compartment and run off. Thought it might be a fouled plug. Pulled them all, not that. Was going to adjust the idle a bit, then decided against that, and am glad I didn't. (real easy, little screw on back of carb linkage) Ran her near empty 2 times, and then ran 89 octane through her as well as some fuel treatment (anti-water). Today was a lot better. The summer fuel mix here in GA is a pain on boats.

She gets her oil and filter changed this week.

Yellowmobius
07-22-2006, 11:06 PM
I dumped 32 gallons in today. It is a record. $95.00 worth.

If I run a good full hard day that is what it takes!

mattjj23
07-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Thanks for all the info

05mobiusxlv
07-23-2006, 03:17 AM
I have put almost 50 hours on the boat this month already, As of today, I'm sitting around $900 for the month in fuel. So I'm getting around 6 Gallons per hour. It's been $3.00 a gallon all month. Tomorrow I will hit 200 hours, so I (or I should say my friends)have spent around $3500 in gas for the 7 months we used my boat. Worth every cent!

Wolf-
07-23-2006, 11:14 PM
BP is offering a new visa card.
First 60 days, you get 10% cash back on fuel purchases and then 5% after that.
Brings good gas down to the price of the lowballers.

As long as you pay it off each month, it makes good sense to save a bit at the pumps.
Check the brochures at the BP pumps for info.

Just an FYI.

08-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by yellowmobius

I dumped 32 gallons in today. It is a record. $95.00 worth.

If I run a good full hard day that is what it takes!

Uhmmmm guys......

Here 32 gallon cost $ 263,55

Welcome to Europe!

mvd
08-17-2006, 02:42 PM
uhhm guys

Overhere we pay $ 263,55 for 32 gallons :(

Welcome in Europe

mvd
08-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I have installed an Navman 2100 fuel flow meter in my boat. I works like a charm and is easy to install. Digital readings with tripcounter and totalcounter. Also it has an fuel alarm.
It is very accurate and you can make it for accurated every time you get gas.

rdemore
08-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Like Wolf, I have recorded the same information for GPH. To date this season I have 61 hours, 353 gallons for a 5.75 gph average.

I think this is higher that previous years because we have limited the cruising, and even changed boat ramps to be closer to riding water. I know we have made more trips to the lake and put less hours on the boat.

09-21-2006, 03:56 AM
I've gotten written permission from Indmar to add a fuel flow sensor to my craft (and not blow my warranty). Thats my next big project sometime this fall. I've decided on the LoranceNet system and will have fuel flow, gps, and aux engine temp sensor (since my thermo quotes me at 190-200 instead of 160-180) all run to one display.

Any further with your project? I found out that the NAVMAN 2100 fuel can't b used with an EFI engine. Other option i found is an FLOSCAN but they are expensive and really ugly. Problem is generaly the fuel return line of the EFI engine.

Please share your information about brands and types of flowmeters you found. And what will be the cost of an complete system for fuelflow?