PDA

View Full Version : Is modifying the plaform worth it?

Rgar
08-24-2016, 05:41 PM
Hey guys, I have an O3 LSV and I have a decent surf wake with the help of a ghetto gate. I find the lip is washed out, I'm assuming from the platform. Is it worth raising or building a smaller platform? Anyone have before and after wake pics of this mod? Just wondering if its worth the effort for the gains I would get. Thanks.

jmvotto
08-24-2016, 09:08 PM
I don't think so, if your running level with the ghetto gate it really should make a big difference, my.02

trayson
08-25-2016, 02:04 AM
there's a handful of us that would say yes. The reason why we did it is because the OEM platform had a big lip on it that would dig into the surf wave and disrupt the water flowing off the hull. it was like a shovel digging into the wave. some argue that it doesn't affect that push you get, but we most certainly felt a difference before and after. I have done it on both my current boat and my last boat.

Also, if you look at the new Supras and Moombas, they come with the option of a Surf Platform. One that is designed to NOT drag in the surf wave. Do you think they have everyone fooled into thinking they need this upgrade when ordering a new boat? I don't think so, it makes for a cleaner, more powerful wave by not having the platform digging into the surf wave. I'm pretty sure the engineers at Skiers Choice weren't selling us snake oil.

Take a look for yourself. when you're fully ballasted for surfing and you're back behind the boat, really take a look at how much of your platform is in the water coming off your hull. if it's not interfering with the wave, then don't mess with it. But you should be able to see pretty easily if it is and what amount of platform needs to be "cut off" if you make a new deck out of HDPE like many of us have.

Here's an early video of my Supra Sunsport (obviously heavily listed) and you can clearly see the platform is digging in like crazy and making a washy mess of the face of my surf wave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36X8WtKvCm8

trayson
08-25-2016, 02:16 AM
now compare the above video to this video that was taken with the exact same listed ballast setup, but with a surf platform that wasn't digging into the wave and it's pretty easy to see the the wave is a ton cleaner. Yeah, if you don't run listed it might not be an issue. but this is the best before/after footage I have to illustrate the benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW_eQnL5MPU