PDA

View Full Version : 2005 XLV surf setup

SoTX
08-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Got a few things on order I will get this week for surfing on Saturday and here is how it will be set up. Let me know if you guys think this is right or wrong or if I should add or subtract anything please
1000lbs ballast in each rear locker
500lbs ballast in the bow
375lbs ballast in the walk way to the bow
New ski platform from SC off a new boat made for surfing
FAE
swellwake suck gate on one side or the other depending on surfer.

Whitey
08-23-2016, 11:01 AM
The best wake on my 09 XLV is rear half full on both sides. Maybe a little heavier on surf side and 1180 full in playpen. Nice long wake. The wake gets really tall and shorter if both rear bags are full or close to full. I like to see my swim platform just under water at idle.

trayson
08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
I'll post the same here that I posted on WW:

You'll probably be fine. but I run the 1180 gravity games bag in my XLV in the playpen basement locker. that locker is HUGE and you can put a lot of weight up front. I've found that to get decent push, I've had to fill the non-surf side 50%. with the suck gate, you might be able to get away with filling both and still getting a clean wake. it's good you won't have a platform digging into your wave, good move there. That said, I think you could end up struggling with getting the length out of the wave that you'd desire. with that much weight in the back and only 500 in the front, it'll likely be tall and short.

SoTX
08-23-2016, 01:57 PM
I'll post the same here that I posted on WW:

You'll probably be fine. but I run the 1180 gravity games bag in my XLV in the playpen basement locker. that locker is HUGE and you can put a lot of weight up front. I've found that to get decent push, I've had to fill the non-surf side 50%. with the suck gate, you might be able to get away with filling both and still getting a clean wake. it's good you won't have a platform digging into your wave, good move there. That said, I think you could end up struggling with getting the length out of the wave that you'd desire. with that much weight in the back and only 500 in the front, it'll likely be tall and short.

So I have a couple of 600lbs bags, I could add one to the bow, that would give me 1100lbs up front, 375lbs in the middle and 2000lbs in the rear of the boat. Then adjust ballast level in the rear to find best wake I guess.

trayson
08-23-2016, 02:06 PM
sounds like you have options for some trial and error. I always run with a 400 pound bag under my surfside seats (from the front of the cooler cutout to the batteries, basically under the 2 seat cushions).

jmvotto
08-23-2016, 02:14 PM
1100 in both rears, 1180 in playpen, 500 in the bow.

ghetto gate and the wave is perfect, without the gate 1/3 in non surf side rear locker. wave is big and long with push. WP all up at 11.2 mph

SoTX
08-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Gonna try this weekend. Sounds like Im on the right track, thanks guys.

trayson
08-23-2016, 04:52 PM
1100 in both rears, 1180 in playpen, 500 in the bow.

ghetto gate and the wave is perfect, without the gate 1/3 in non surf side rear locker. wave is big and long with push. WP all up at 11.2 mph

What do you use for the 500 in the bow?

jmvotto
08-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Fly High Pro X Series Side Sac Set (520 lbs)
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-side-sacs.html

Wyed the fill and teed the vent from the 1180

trayson
08-25-2016, 01:50 AM
Fly High Pro X Series Side Sac Set (520 lbs)
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-side-sacs.html

Wyed the fill and teed the vent from the 1180

okay, that makes sense. I essentially have the equivalent of one of those. I took one of the OEM 400 bags and fit it up under the port side bow seat (the end of it is folded at the bow tip of that compartment.

I have a 400 under the starboard seat from the batteries to the cooler cutout. I have a reversible that is dedicated to those two bags. I have a ball valve on each one so I can control them independently.

jmvotto
08-25-2016, 07:25 AM
Yes the ibs won't work on the xlv so I went this route instead seems to work.