PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance (boat us)

98outback
08-22-2016, 05:43 PM
I have had boatus now for 8 years. Just got the renewal in the mail stating they are now using Geico for the underwriting. My insurance went from $419 a year to $536. No claims and no changes. I asked them how the justified the increase and was told it is what it is. Never had a problem with them until now. I'm going to shop around. Any recommendations?

snyderaaron
08-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Skisafe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
08-22-2016, 06:49 PM
I have had boatus now for 8 years. Just got the renewal in the mail stating they are now using Geico for the underwriting. My insurance went from $419 a year to $536. No claims and no changes. I asked them how the justified the increase and was told it is what it is. Never had a problem with them until now. I'm going to shop around. Any recommendations?

You still running a 98 Outback? Your season is double what mine is but your rates are also double. It is good to shop around every 3-5 years for all your insurance as companies tend to out price themselves. With that said, check with your homeowner's/car insurance company as they will discount for combined policies.

sandm
08-22-2016, 07:22 PM
ski safe. $320/yr for full agreed value on a 70k boat. have to lay up from oct to march but they cover at storage building for winter.

98outback
08-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Have a 2003 supra launch SSV. Bought from friend in 2008 for $23,500. Agreed value has always been 30,118. I'm going to check skisafe. My uncle has them for his 2013 nautique and pays what I do.

trayson
08-22-2016, 09:17 PM

My friend is an agent for www.boatinsurance.net and he brokers with a lot of the major companies. he got me what I needed for my boat. better than I could find elsewhere. It ended up being progressive that I'm actually with. but he was able to save me some money. For example, after I'd been with them for a year they had a little bit of a rate increase, but we were able to increase my deductible; but that was offset by their "50% disappearing deductible". so he lowered my rate by going from a $500 deductible to a $1000 deductible, but because of their promotion, my $1000 deductible was really $500. LOL.

and I do insure my boat for an agreed upon value.

Anyway, give Jeremy a call.

***Also, I don't have a formal "layup" period, but I give my agent a call and he suspends most all of my coverage while it's winterized and stored in my carport for the winter. then we reinstate the full coverage come spring.

kaneboats
08-23-2016, 10:18 AM
I had Progressive and they were edging up year after year even as I adjusted the agreed value down as the boat got older. Went with skisafe and knocked a couple hundred bucks off.

Prospersigman
08-23-2016, 10:34 AM
BIA saved me a bunch of money on my boat insurance. We the past 2 boats I have had Progressive, Geico and Travelers. When I bought my Moomba The Slalom Shop hooked me up with BIA and they were the cheapest by over $150 a year.

Check with Gabriel Berkowitz
Boater's Insurance Agency, Inc.
[email protected]
800-344-7488 ext. 523

sandm
08-23-2016, 01:06 PM
I had Progressive and they were edging up year after year even as I adjusted the agreed value down as the boat got older. Went with skisafe and knocked a couple hundred bucks off.

this was my experience with progressive on both boat and auto. for whatever reason, they are still one of the cheapest on mc insurance.

gregski
08-23-2016, 07:18 PM
I'm with Progressive and they beat skisafe, geico and my normal home/auto. The rate hasn't changed much for me in 3 years.