PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Moomba Helix vs. 2016 Axis A20

NewRevNorton
08-16-2016, 07:48 PM
Moomba Helix vs. Axis A20

I am looking for some information to compare these two boats. Price points are very close to each other starting at roughly $55k.

I know most answers will be biased to Moomba here but I am having a hard time finding much info about the Helix to compare so I started checking other manufacturers. We have our 2016 Mondo and love it for wakeboarding. However, we all know the Mondo really needs to be modified with bigger bags to provide great surf waves. We are looking at putting the camper at another lake this year and purchasing another boat. We need the boat to be 20' for storage. So it has come down to these two. I will be using this boat primarily for wakeboarding and surfing. So I am not overly concerned with the interior frills but having features that support the sports such as cruise control, automatically actuated surf systems, and etc are desired. I'd love to stay with the Moomba family of boats because of the high quality of our Mondo, but the Axis does come standard with some tower speakers... Which I would prefer to have. Any insight or experience with this new Helix or information to help compare it to the Axis?

BrettLee3232
08-16-2016, 07:58 PM
From what I remember isn't the helix just a slightly modified mondo hull? The helix is suppose to there budget boat & mondo would have more features. I could be wrong though.

Any boat you buy will need bigger bags for a decent surf wave. I'm running 3250lbs in my 15 mondo and the wave is money.

What benefits did you think you'd get with a helix, other than a newer boat?

Aa far as the A20 goes the wave looks good when dialed but side by side it just looks smaller than the mondo. Interior of Moomba is night and day better.

Just my honest opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mobius22
08-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Moomba quality > Axis quality. All day, every day. The Helix is brand new and frankly hasn't been out that long for much information to be available, since it's really only been a few months since people have started using them. However, I have surfed and driven one and I LOVED it. It's my opinion obviously, but the Helix is leaps and bounds above the A20 in both overall quality, performance and ride quality.

The Helix does not need bigger bags to make a great wave because it's a small boat, and doesn't need as much weight to load it down enough to make a great wake or wave. It's a very deep boat though so you can add a ton of weight if you want. Also, it's been widely discussed that the Surf Gate wave does not have near the power of a non-gate wave (Auto Flow, Swell, etc). Also, the surf gate is not very adjustable at all, but the Auto Flow can be completely customized to what you like in a wave

Not to mention, the interior and exterior of the Helix is MUCH better looking than the A20 in my opinion. The helm of the Moomba especially just kills the Axis and that's what you will be looking at most of the time. The Axis looks and feels cheap to me, and the Helix does not. Helix also seats 1 more person than the Axis.

Also... Moomba 400 Raptor is standard. Axis only has a 350 standard. That's a BIG difference and HUGE upgrade in the Moomba over the Axis. I'm not sure what Axis charges for their equivalent to the Raptor, but I'm pretty sure it's not cheap.

If you have not driven a Helix, you need to. It will solve this problem for you very quickly, IMO. Good tower speakers can be bought later for MUCH less than what Axis is going to charge you from the factory, I wouldn't let that factor into your decision at all.

wolfeman131
08-16-2016, 08:56 PM
My daughter got to surf the Helix at the photo shoot (you can catch a quick look at it below) and she thought it had a great wave. She also liked the layout of the helm.

http://youtu.be/RJpoAgQ2DuE

sandm
08-16-2016, 10:38 PM
mobius makes some great points...
tower speakers should not factor into the decision at all. they are cheap and can be added later.
moomba has a much better interior than the axis and I could never get past that goofy windshield design. thats all personal opinion.
my cousin has a '15 23ft bu and he has said the surfgate does not produce the best wave, but to his point, he's not a pro and the wave does what he likes. non-listed and easy to swap side to side. not sure on the moomba.
I do have to disagree on the comment about not needing bigger bags. my 20ssv needed a ton of weight. I have surfed a newer mondo with factory bags and it was not good. you will need bigger bags to get a good quality wave and betting money that as the helix starts to make it out there, it needs the same upgrade. all imo mind you.

do have to ask the obvious question. why upgrade when the boats are so similar. what don't you like about the mondo that larger bags won't take care of?

NewRevNorton
08-16-2016, 11:08 PM
We are not looking to upgrade the Mondo. We will have both but keep the Mondo at the lake with the camper full time, and have the Helix to haul around for wake trips. I was just torn between the A20 and Helix for this second boat. Very good points brought up about both boats. Thank you all for the insight. I am sure this will be a very fun discussion to watch as the Helix gains some popularity. I think these two boats will be the "entry level", wake producing contenders of 2017 in this length.

BrettLee3232
08-16-2016, 11:11 PM
We are not looking to upgrade the Mondo. We will have both but keep the Mondo at the lake with the camper full time, and have the Helix to haul around for wake trips. I was just torn between the A20 and Helix for this second boat. Very good points brought up about both boats. Thank you all for the insight. I am sure this will be a very fun discussion to watch as the Helix gains some popularity. I think these two boats will be the "entry level", wake producing contenders of 2017 in this length.

I know it's a little bigger but instead of an A20 I would look at the 21' Tomcat or 21' B52 from MB if it would fit.

beat taco
08-17-2016, 05:42 PM
I know it's a little bigger but instead of an A20 I would look at the 21' Tomcat or 21' B52 from MB if it would fit.

Haven't you learned your lesson about recommending a MB to someone?

BrettLee3232
08-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Haven't you learned your lesson about recommending a MB to someone?

Sorry, maybe the "game changer" GS20 lol

beat taco
08-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Sorry, maybe the "game changer" GS20 lol

This! If it isn't a G it's crap!

BrettLee3232
08-17-2016, 05:48 PM
This! If it isn't a G it's crap!

😂🤘🏻🇺🇸💸

KG's Supra24
08-17-2016, 05:53 PM
I would pick a Helix over the A20 all day ..........

But already having a Mondo ..... I'm not sure I'd buy 2 of essentially the same boats.

What an odd, but good, predicament. I can't imagine the logistics obstacles that lead to 2 60k boats being the solution.

wolfeman131
08-17-2016, 05:54 PM
What an odd, but good, predicament. I can't imagine the logistics obstacles that lead to 2 60k boats being the solution.

First World problems . . . .

wish I had some like this!

Get the Helix. It's cool.

Wax
08-17-2016, 05:57 PM
2014 A20 with max possible ballast and surf gate is honestly a garbage wake. I have many pics, my good friend has one. Slap a suck gate on it and it's great. I wouldn't even ride it until we added suck gate, now it's awesome. Maybe moomba is better if you want auto surf capabilities.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

beat taco
08-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Really Drew?

wolfeman131
08-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I think the Helix is cool!

ejj
08-18-2016, 08:22 AM
The Helix is a surf machine. It is big and deep inside. Have you been in it? Deeper than Mondo. The Mondo is a bit nicer, but not much. The Mondo will stay in the line as an all-around boat--has a few more options, better 30mph ski wake, etc.

Again, the Helix is one of the best out of the box surf waves you can get right now. I haven't seen ski wakes from the Helix.

SO. If you want to surf, and wouldn't mind some more freeboard for boat chop, and don't mind the kinda stubby bow, Helix is the best thing going for that size.

Getssum96
08-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Agree on tower speakers not being a factor. The Axis has nice ones, but only if you add sound pack three, not a standard. Usually the stereo shops (if you get a good one!) will do a better install than most factories, and not intrude on storage space as much.