PDA

View Full Version : doubles wakeboarding? Tips and tricks?

trayson
08-15-2016, 03:34 PM
So after seeing the pic of the grom doing some doubles wakeboarding, I am going to have to try this with my son. He's at the point now where he can get out and ride consistently. I'll have to down my speed and up his speed to find a middle ground where we're both comfortable.

but what are some pointers since I've never done doubles? What should we do for rope lengths and attachment points? Wondering if we should pull my son from the pylon and me from the tower? I think it'll be a blast and I know he'll love being out there riding with me. I am def looking forward to trying it now.

Gqjeff
08-15-2016, 03:52 PM
When my son 9 and our nephew 14 ride we use same length ropes. We also use the tower for both ropes. Yesterday when he was riding with an older very good rider he went 60' and the other was at 70'. Again both from the tower. If you going to be jumping and stuff just make sure hes aware of the rope overhead. We have never had any problems but also didn't go doubles with my nephew until he was riding much better.. Good luck and you can get some awesome pictures!!!

dusty2221
08-15-2016, 04:26 PM
I ride with my 9 year old. Without her, I ride at 80ft and 22.6 mph. She rides at 60ft and 18.6mph. I've found the easiest thing is just for me to ride a short line with her to make up for the slower speed. It's all about just being back there together for her that she loves. One fun thing to do, I have a rope with the handle made for wrap tricks, I can pull in on that which puts me about 2ft ahead of her....I'll pull up a bit cut out really hard and blast her with spray...non stop laughter from both of us.

trayson
08-15-2016, 04:27 PM
I'm kinda thinking there might be an extra margin of safety with the staggered rope lengths like you did with 60/70. But even if we just rode around, it'd be a blast.

I'll definitely have to pack my 2nd wakeboard line for this weekend.

dusty2221
08-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Yeah, it's a ton of fun at the same length. And it's not like you will be out there throwing down flips and spins into the flats.

trayson
08-15-2016, 04:35 PM
I ride with my 9 year old. Without her, I ride at 80ft and 22.6 mph. She rides at 60ft and 18.6mph. I've found the easiest thing is just for me to ride a short line with her to make up for the slower speed. It's all about just being back there together for her that she loves. One fun thing to do, I have a rope with the handle made for wrap tricks, I can pull in on that which puts me about 2ft ahead of her....I'll pull up a bit cut out really hard and blast her with spray...non stop laughter from both of us.

Oh, I've already been imagining blasting my son with spray! hard cuts and butter slides!

Yeah, it's a ton of fun at the same length. And it's not like you will be out there throwing down flips and spins into the flats.

LOL, it's not like I could throw flips or big spins anyway!

Gqjeff
08-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Riding yesterday the guy was hitting flips like mad overtop my son again with a staggered rope. They were running 20-21 mph. Faster then my son rides as he usually runs 18.5-19.5.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/gqjeff/972B4909-8EB8-4CB9-9A86-0BCA2ED35E3F_zpsbdzy6xpe.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gqjeff/media/972B4909-8EB8-4CB9-9A86-0BCA2ED35E3F_zpsbdzy6xpe.jpg.html)

trayson
08-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Riding yesterday the guy was hitting flips like mad overtop my son again with a staggered rope. They were running 20-21 mph. Faster then my son rides as he usually runs 18.5-19.5.

Your pics were what inspired me. (not that I can do the flips). But yeah, I want some of that.

Gqjeff
08-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Possible hooking up again next weekend with him. If not next weekend for sure soon. His mom and step dad live on the lake our cabin is on so we will def be hookikng up again. So better pics next time I hope. Actually messed up the gopro settings and was only getting 1 second burst. I thought I was getting 5 pics a second for 4 seconds continuous. Needless to say my pic selection was much different then I thought I was getting. This was on a DD also with 3k ballast so the water was really rough at 60'.

trayson
08-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Possible hooking up again next weekend with him. If not next weekend for sure soon. His mom and step dad live on the lake our cabin is on so we will def be hookikng up again. So better pics next time I hope. Actually messed up the gopro settings and was only getting 1 second burst. I thought I was getting 5 pics a second for 4 seconds continuous. Needless to say my pic selection was much different then I thought I was getting. This was on a DD also with 3k ballast so the water was really rough at 60'.

were you using the remote and doing burst? I typically just let mine roll and have it defaulted to 720p 60FPS superview with 1 still capture every 5 seconds. I've never tried the burst mode with the remote in the boat... Hmmm...

Gqjeff
08-15-2016, 05:32 PM
I zip tie it to the end up the handle upside down with auto set for it to adjust being upside down. I just use my cell phone and reconnect as soon as he comes out of the water. I usually do continues not burst. You can set how many seconds you wanna do continues and then set how many pics you want a second. Josh Palma showed my how he zip tied his gopro to the rope a couple weeks back. Some pics are great and some a little blurry with it on the rope so that's why I take a lot then cherry pic the ones I want. You can use burst though and set it up for how many photos you want over how much time. Either will work fine.

trayson
08-15-2016, 05:47 PM
I zip tie it to the end up the handle upside down with auto set for it to adjust being upside down. I just use my cell phone and reconnect as soon as he comes out of the water. I usually do continues not burst. You can set how many seconds you wanna do continues and then set how many pics you want a second. Josh Palma showed my how he zip tied his gopro to the rope a couple weeks back. Some pics are great and some a little blurry with it on the rope so that's why I take a lot then cherry pic the ones I want. You can use burst though and set it up for how many photos you want over how much time. Either will work fine.

Take a pic sometime of exactly how you mount the gopro to the handle. I'd really like to see it.

I really like the wifi remote. yeah, it cost more because it wasn't included with the 4 silver, but I got used to it with my 3+ black I used to have. I like the fact that the remote controls the gopro just like you're holding the gopro; and we have a lanyard on it. It's waterproof and we can just hand it to anyone on the boat and no one has to mess with my phone. (I'm not giving up my phone, which is usually performing music duty anyway.) And the remote is great for taking selfies of the crew using the telescoping pole (selfie stick).

Gqjeff
08-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Def will do. I for sure am getting the remote also. Its just easier then messing with the phone while you controlling the music too LOL... I have the 4 black. Well I have my second 4 black my other was lost a few weeks back on the lake at night :( Hoping next weekend or soon for some drone action!!!!

trayson
08-15-2016, 06:13 PM
Def will do. I for sure am getting the remote also. Its just easier then messing with the phone while you controlling the music too LOL... I have the 4 black. Well I have my second 4 black my other was lost a few weeks back on the lake at night :( Hoping next weekend or soon for some drone action!!!!

Ouch, that's painful. I didn't feel the need to go 4 black. Seems like I have plenty of functionality with my 4 silver, and I was a sucker for the touch screen even though I really don't use it that much. But yeah, the remote rocks.

I haven't been brave enough to fly my drone over the water yet. Mine's just a phantom 2 and I only get like 15 minutes of flight time on a battery. so that makes me nervous (plus I'm not super experienced as a pilot yet). Oh, and mine uses the gopro, so that means that if something did happen, I'd have a naked gopro taking a plunge. But my buddy brought his phantom 4 out once and that was fun. (although I still have yet to get the footage). Grrr.

Well, and I was flying my Phantom 2 with a decent amount of wind at a car event. It was doing really well and I was bringing it back in after a nice flight. it was about 50 feet away from me when a huge gust shot it sideways flying straight at my car at about 20mph. I was able to pull up enough to miss my car, but the drone took a digger into an oak tree trunk. broke off about an inch of a propeller and I got some grit in one of the engines. But better than hitting my M3!

MJHSupra
08-15-2016, 07:11 PM
The GoPro WiFi is a real battery killer. I get a little over 1 to 1.5 hrs per battery.

Purchased a kit on Amazon with 2 add'l batteries and the charging equipment.

No more dead batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
08-15-2016, 07:34 PM
The GoPro WiFi is a real battery killer. I get a little over 1 to 1.5 hrs per battery.

Purchased a kit on Amazon with 2 add'l batteries and the charging equipment.

No more dead batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

likewise. I got the extra batteries and made sure that my dual battery charger plugs into a USB port, so it can be easily charged on the boat. Likewise, I bring the remote charging cable on the boat. I have a 4 usb port charger so I can charge multiple items at once. Works great.

MJHSupra
08-15-2016, 09:07 PM
I have a 4 usb port charger so I can charge multiple items at once. Works great.

Something that plugs into a cig lighter or did you wire one?

trayson
08-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Something that plugs into a cig lighter or did you wire one?

Right now it's just a plug in the lighter one. I did buy these cool outlets that have a cig lighter outlet on one side and a pair of USB's on the other side. I planned to flush mount them in between the inboat speakers so that people could throw a phone in a cupholder and run a charge cable, but the distance between the wall the speakers were mounted on and the hull itself wasn't deep enough. so that project got put on the back burner.

trayson
08-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Mission Accomplished. It was an absolute blast to ride with my son. We put his line on the lower pylon and I was towed from the tower. Kept things nice and clean. And I rode about 5' back from him. Worked great.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Doubles%205_zpsxdt5g59q.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Doubles%204_zps48bhrymj.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Doubles%203_zps7ibqcq8y.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Doubles%202_zpslfusdphu.jpg

trayson
08-21-2016, 09:59 PM
And yeah, I had a blast trying to spray him and zipping on either side of him.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Doubles%201_zps2aat5lmv.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Doubles%206_zpsvtm9u7kd.jpg

trayson
08-21-2016, 10:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjcOkMu8dI

Here's the video, sorry about the sound. I think the Rev410's were vibrating the plastic film on my touchscreen backdoor of my Hero 4 silver.

dusty2221
08-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Video says private

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

trayson
08-21-2016, 11:04 PM
oops, forgot to hit "publish".

Gqjeff
08-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Very cool! Glad it worked out. What speed was that at and does the wake clean up pretty good with more ballast?

trayson
08-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Very cool! Glad it worked out. What speed was that at and does the wake clean up pretty good with more ballast?

That was only 19mph. I think he'd been only riding at like 16 or 17 before as he's really new at wakeboarding, but a week ago, he went out and rode confidently and crossed wakes and bounced around; so I knew he could handle more. But I didn't want to step him up TOO fast, so we only did the 19.

I typically ride at 21.5 and the wake is actually really nice with just the front 1180 bag full. so that tends to be my goto setup. But jumping from 16/17 all the way up to 21.5 might have been a bit much for him.

This is my wake normally:
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Resized952016081295182730_zpsk2bodfdk.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/vXtFbeyhISqwACoRcwc3ZkqJwKk2yMjFzmV4vyNIxerefjwx48 55W_JdXXIxCnLGlne3rsvaN6bjtYc=w1920-h1080-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7YnxIN9wsXLtkxMXXx1H6L9SzmnVBgpV1e4HmJdqmkZ89ze8MP FHoDZ0jP4vrU9NyiL0lRKuXzasDzE=w1920-h1080-no

Gqjeff
08-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Nice, much better for sure..

trayson
08-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Nice, much better for sure..

Yeah, the XLV's are kinda known for not having a clean wake at the lower speeds. but at 21.5 I've been really happy with it. and honestly, it's been so great with just the front 1180 that I rarely add rear bags to the mix for wakeboarding. (that and tearing the foot ligament this winter)

I'll have to see if I can find a way to clean up the lower speed wake, if that's even possible.

Darter
08-24-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm kinda thinking there might be an extra margin of safety with the staggered rope lengths like you did with 60/70.

I would definitely NOT do this. Keep the ropes as close to identical length as possible. There has already been at least one post on this site about a rope getting wrapped around appendages during a fall with bad results.

Imagine you drop off, then the rider on the shorter line falls onto your longer line and gets tangled around his neck or arm before the boat stops.

We do doubles often with skiers, wakeboarders, and kneeboarders (and combos thereof). It's a lot of fun for kids and their friends, or adults and their children. Just make sure the line lengths are as close as possible.

trayson
08-24-2016, 03:56 PM
I would definitely NOT do this. Keep the ropes as close to identical length as possible. There has already been at least one post on this site about a rope getting wrapped around appendages during a fall with bad results.

Imagine you drop off, then the rider on the shorter line falls onto your longer line and gets tangled around his neck or arm before the boat stops.

We do doubles often with skiers, wakeboarders, and kneeboarders (and combos thereof). It's a lot of fun for kids and their friends, or adults and their children. Just make sure the line lengths are as close as possible.

I think there are risks either way. I wouldn't just "drop off" without communicating with my son. And equal line lengths means that collision is a likelihood. Not going to chance that. The only way to eliminate all the risk is to stay in the boat. I'm pretty comfortable what what we did and the degree of control I have as a rider and a father that was exercised.

Darter
08-24-2016, 04:39 PM
I think there are risks either way. I wouldn't just "drop off" without communicating with my son. And equal line lengths means that collision is a likelihood. Not going to chance that. The only way to eliminate all the risk is to stay in the boat. I'm pretty comfortable what what we did and the degree of control I have as a rider and a father that was exercised.
In that case, allow me to reframe the situation. Rider on the long line takes a spill and throws the line in the process...

Much riskier than a collision, imho. I'd rather bump into someone than get wrapped in a rope. You can't bump them any harder than you can swing toward them, and that would take a conscious effort.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5:00
08-24-2016, 04:46 PM
I think dropping out also includes wiping out as well. There may not be any warning for that.

trayson
08-24-2016, 05:04 PM
In that case, allow me to reframe the situation. Rider on the long line takes a spill and throws the line in the process...

Much riskier than a collision, imho. I'd rather bump into someone than get wrapped in a rope. You can't bump them any harder than you can swing toward them, and that would take a conscious effort.

I appreciate your concern. I'll continue to be mindful of the risks involved and will employ good judgment to choose the best strategy to keep my son safe. I might be new at doubles, but I've been wakeboarding for 20 years--so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on back there.

Plus, without staggered ropes, I wouldn't be able to dream about getting a shot like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/gqjeff/972B4909-8EB8-4CB9-9A86-0BCA2ED35E3F_zpsbdzy6xpe.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gqjeff/media/972B4909-8EB8-4CB9-9A86-0BCA2ED35E3F_zpsbdzy6xpe.jpg.html)

KG's Supra24
08-24-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm on the "same length rope" side. I was surprised you opted the different length route when you posted the pics. I see more danger in different lengths and understand a collision would hurt.

I can see circumstances where different lengths could apply but our rule of thumb is same length.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Gqjeff
08-24-2016, 05:23 PM
I was going staggered ropes for sure when I knew he was going to be doing flips over my son. When my son and his cousin ride we ride similar rope lengths and they talk to entire time about who's doing what so they stay out of the way. They r not doing flips over each other though.

Gqjeff
08-24-2016, 05:24 PM
also the above pic of my son gives the impression the guy is riding way behind him. That's not the case at all he wasn't that much further back then the pic portrays.

trayson
08-24-2016, 05:29 PM
equal ropes would certainly take away the ability to change sides with the other rider, so one person would always be stuck on the left with the other on the right.

I'm not doing flips over my son. But I looked at the variables and chose what I felt was best, which in this case was staggered and from different tow points.

trayson
08-24-2016, 05:32 PM
also the above pic of my son gives the impression the guy is riding way behind him. That's not the case at all he wasn't that much further back then the pic portrays.

We didn't have a huge difference between us either. about 5 or 6 feet is what it ended up being. basically it was enough that we couldn't hit bodies or boards as I crossed his path.

yearround
08-24-2016, 05:43 PM
we usually always go with the same length ropes. then you can do this cool trick:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/ttduncan/2012-10-31%2015.12.54.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/ttduncan/media/2012-10-31%2015.12.54.jpg.html)

we have had 6 people up together. favorite was with my dad and my daughter, the three of us together.

trayson
08-24-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm sure I'll try that at some point as well. :-)

Plus at the same length, I'd be able to spray my son a lot easier. LOL.

New Guy
08-24-2016, 06:05 PM
We ride similar lengths when we ride.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14080059_10206530956465094_1941264056522122045_n.j pg?oh=571213fe81634e1d8617e86dd42ee60f&oe=585E71BD

dusty2221
08-24-2016, 06:41 PM
I'm a fan of the same line length personally, and from the same tow point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Darter
08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Hey, I didn't mean to make waves here with the rope length comment. Just wanted to clear the air that one might get an "extra margin of safety" with uneven rope lengths as it applies to collision avoidance, but we also introduce the risk of rope entanglement.

Undoubtedly, there are plenty here with years of experience in and behind the boat, but there are plenty more reading this thread who are new to the sport and might read certain comments and automatically think they're now safer. Those of us with the experience owe it to the newcomers to the water to choose words carefully when it comes to the topic of safety.

In this case, I just want to be sure everyone is aware of some of the added risks, particularly those not as obvious, with doubles riding. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid here or something.

trayson
08-25-2016, 02:32 PM
All good. it made me consider some risks that weren't on the forefront of my mind. Your comments are cool with me. :cool:

Gqjeff
08-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Hey, I didn't mean to make waves here with the rope length comment. Just wanted to clear the air that one might get an "extra margin of safety" with uneven rope lengths as it applies to collision avoidance, but we also introduce the risk of rope entanglement.

Undoubtedly, there are plenty here with years of experience in and behind the boat, but there are plenty more reading this thread who are new to the sport and might read certain comments and automatically think they're now safer. Those of us with the experience owe it to the newcomers to the water to choose words carefully when it comes to the topic of safety.

In this case, I just want to be sure everyone is aware of some of the added risks, particularly those not as obvious, with doubles riding. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid here or something.

No waves with me here. Always good to hear other perspectives.