PDA

View Full Version : Older hulls for surfing? Unhappy Moomba owner

resko1
08-15-2016, 02:29 AM
So can anyone tell me differences in the moomba hulls? I have a 97 outback and while others say it throws an awesome wave, im skeptical. Its one of those in between years when united marine built the boats, not skiers choice. I picked it up for 8k towards the end of last summer. tried a little wakeboarding at the end of the year and it wasn't very good. The boat is beat up. One of the floor boards is soft between the observers seat and captains chair, The carpet is horrible, most of the interior was redone and wasnt a perfect job, (all thats left is the capt chair and observers seat) The hull has black marks all over it from loading on the trailer without pole socks. I guess im just kinda disgusted with it. Engine runs good and has 540hrs on it despite vibration from the chipped up prop.
But ehh. Its a starter boat right? One ill never get my value back out of.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/reskoone/Mobile%20Uploads/20160730_093555_zpssnt7gm5q.jpg (http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/reskoone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160730_093555_zpssnt7gm5q.jpg.html)
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/reskoone/Mobile%20Uploads/20160529_145127_zpsjjeuezpz.jpg (http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/reskoone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160529_145127_zpsjjeuezpz.jpg.html)

So this year we decided to try and surf. This 97 model has the 2 stupid back seats that come out and really are pointless. No sun deck either. So we added a fat seat in the rear. About 700# across the back where the seats were and only filled one of the arms on the surf side for 200#. To my surprise the wave was huge. Very steep and close to the boat. So i added another 450# sack in the front walkway and bam, it lengthened out and didn't really lose its size. To me, the wake was excellent for us amateurs. Plenty of push even for big guys and i'm 260#. I'm making a suck gate this week to try out next weekend so we don't have to list the crap out of the boat. I mainly drive because i'm nervous about others attempting it. We sit close to the rub rail in the back and the bow is crazy low. So bad i have to "cut" back through my wake by full throttling or else we take on 3" of water in the boat. Its annoying and a bugger to drive! Not mention if anyone else is around us i can't pick up my rider cause i have to power over their wake too. Even if its small.

So i guess i'm kinda annoyed with the boat. I have 2 buddies that come out with us and one has a supra launch, the other an air nautique. They're always having a good time, not a care in the world, and here i am trying not to sink my boat! I find myself constantly browsing craigslist and forums for a new boat. Lusting over these big V drives, malibus, nautiques, and other top tier boats. Ive come across a lot of good deals and im trying to tell myself to dump this POS and start over. But a part of me says keep it cause that wave your producing, is bigger and longer then either of your buddies boats. My wife says keep it and redo it. New acme 913 prop, redo carpet and build a new rear bench seat with built in ballast, redo interior that's not done, buff the hull, maybe freshen up the gauges and dash with a hydrodip.

Sorry for the rant guys. I guess im just stuck and looking for maybe some wise suggestions and opinions before i do the wrong thing. Is this old shallow boat really a beast? Or should i move on? I dont know but its driving me nuts.

And oh yeah. Some surf pics from a few weeks ago with all bags filled and 6 people in the boat. Sorry for the crappy pics. We only had video so i had to make screenshots.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/reskoone/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-16-21-24_zpsla5cunoi.png (http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/reskoone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-16-21-24_zpsla5cunoi.png.html)
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/reskoone/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-16-21-38_zpsqvgevr3p.png (http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/reskoone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-16-21-38_zpsqvgevr3p.png.html)

resko1
08-15-2016, 02:40 AM
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/reskoone/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-16-51-48_zpsrrafzrrs.png (http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/reskoone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-16-51-48_zpsrrafzrrs.png.html)

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/reskoone/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-14-01-27_zpse4jgmi6n.png (http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/reskoone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-04-14-01-27_zpse4jgmi6n.png.html)

parrothd
08-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Those boats are designed to do one thing very well, produce a very small wake for skiing, and not much else.

If you want to entertain people and surf you should be looking at the vdrives. I'd work with what you have and save up for an 06+ lsv in the lower 20k$$ range.

markthered
08-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Well, you asked, so my four points (and I have a 2011 Supra Launch 22V):
1) If you want to spend the money, you can do anything.... No brainer, I know, but at the end of the day, it's about your money and how you want to spend it. As parrothd said, you can work with what you have for a bit, not have to spend much, save up for something else, and probably get most or all of your 8k back, I would think. How much do you want to spend, realizing you would need 20K for 06, 40K for 2012, and so on....
2) There is always something newer, bigger, and better. With my 2011, I'm looking at 2014s and saying man, I wish my boat had that, and 2015s, 2016s, etc.
3) I have to heavily weight my 2011, and waves are an issue. When my surfer is down, I slightly turn the wheel away from the surf side and put the boat in neutral. My surf wave then rolls on past me, and with the slight turn I made, it actually turns the boat even more. I also have the wave passing my on the higher side of my boat. I then idle up to my surfer, so I don't have any waves to deal with (in normal circumstances). I've certainly taken my fair share of water on in the bow, but that rarely happens now.
4) For entertaining, it's impossible to beat the vdrives - the seating and layout is dramatically larger than the DD. If you do, though, don't be surprised when you give up some top end speed. We easily have 10 in our boat, well within weight rating and with plenty of room. Granted, at times I need a larger bimini.... ;-)

So, you've got a great boat, if you have the budget to upgrade, awesome, if not, I see plenty of people on here and on the Supra forum who are having great experiences with their 90's boats.

sivs1
08-15-2016, 11:33 AM
This is a tough thread for me, calling a Moomba a POS because it does not do what you want it to when it is not really designed to do what you want it too is unfair.

Boats will always have cosmetic issues, my 06 LSV had all new interior and still had issues, my 13 SA in almost perfect condition has issues. You will never get v-drive type of performance for surfing out of a DD. I ride behind a buddies Master Craft DD, yes i can surf it but I cannot go ropeless.

I have swamped my Moomba LSV and I have swamped my Supra SA. Full ballast on my Moomba was 2,500 and full ballast on my Supra is 3,500. It's all about learning to handle what you have, as stated above, don't turn back into your wake, let it pass. you can see pictures of a Mojo riding deep to the rail as well as any other boat brand out there.

Good luck on your decision, nothing is simple and out of the box it all has to be dialed in.

resko1
08-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Its kinda where ive been at. Use the boat for another season and try and sell it this time next year. The question is is it worth sticking any money into? From all the reading and talking with people, this boat is the bottom of the cracker barrel so to say.
And i have been looking at v drives but the price is outrageous up in the northern states. My max is 20k and i havent found a v yet under that. Closest was a guy with a 95 super sport nautique with 800hrs and he still wanted 22k for his boat. Said "wont budge on price. I know everyone wants these to surf or whatever". And the 2nd one was a 00 moomba kamberra in ohio. But again he wanted 24k for that but did have low hours at 350 but minor damage to rub rail and hull. If ive learned one thing in my short time as a boat owner, its that other boat owners are super picky! Keep them in immaculate shape kinda like you would a ferrari or rolls royce.
But if i travel far, my options open. Found a guy in conneticut with a malibu sunsetter lsv for 19k. Excellent shape. If i could find a mobius lsv in my price range i would be all over it. I rode a 06 lsv with stock ballasts full and 450# sack on the surf side and it blew my boat out of the water.

resko1
08-15-2016, 11:42 AM
This is a tough thread for me, calling a Moomba a POS because it does not do what you want it to when it is not really designed to do what you want it too is unfair.

Boats will always have cosmetic issues, my 06 LSV had all new interior and still had issues, my 13 SA in almost perfect condition has issues. You will never get v-drive type of performance for surfing out of a DD. I ride behind a buddies Master Craft DD, yes i can surf it but I cannot go ropeless.

I have swamped my Moomba LSV and I have swamped my Supra SA. Full ballast on my Moomba was 2,500 and full ballast on my Supra is 3,500. It's all about learning to handle what you have, as stated above, don't turn back into your wake, let it pass. you can see pictures of a Mojo riding deep to the rail as well as any other boat brand out there.

Good luck on your decision, nothing is simple and out of the box it all has to be dialed in.

I guess you are right. Its not a POS but somedays i feel that way when im on the water next to a 04 launch and a 01 air nautique. I have a hell of a time getting anyone on the boat with us when a nose is turned in the air to it. 90% of the time its just me, my wife, and our 16yrold kid. My wife refuses to drive thinking she might sink us and ive tried getting our kid to learn but it makes it difficult for me to get up since she is just learning to drive and has to do it manual (no perfect pass). If i want to surf, i have to jump on one of my buddies boats and abandon mine. And lets face it. A day on the water is much better with a few friends to help out and have conversation with.

dusty2221
08-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Have you tried building a Suck Gate and seeing if it helped the wave?

zabooda
08-15-2016, 11:59 AM
First a compliment as that is the best surf wave I've seen from a Moomba DD. The bad news is you are using a platform that was never designed to do what you are doing. You need the right tool for the job and the DD is not the one.

resko1
08-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Have you tried building a Suck Gate and seeing if it helped the wave?

I tried making a ronix version out of 1/2" plywood to test. It was a bear! Did more harm then good since it could only put it in one location with the velcro. And i could not turn that direction at all when coming around to get a ride. We quickly abandoned it. But i picked up a seastow handle last week and my hdpe sheet will be here today. Im hoping with the suction cups i can find the sweet spot i need. Its tough though cause the last 2ft of the hull is a big curve, not boxy like most boats.

resko1
08-15-2016, 12:12 PM
First a compliment as that is the best surf wave I've seen from a Moomba DD. The bad news is you are using a platform that was never designed to do what you are doing. You need the right tool for the job and the DD is not the one.

Thanks. And as i mentoned in the op, this boat actually puts out a better wake then the launch and nautique we go out with. But im thinking i agree about getting a v drive.

trayson
08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
And i have been looking at v drives but the price is outrageous up in the northern states. My max is 20k and i havent found a v yet under that.

I guess you are right. Its not a POS but somedays i feel that way when im on the water next to a 04 launch and a 01 air nautique. I have a hell of a time getting anyone on the boat with us when a nose is turned in the air to it. 90% of the time its just me, my wife, and our 16yrold kid. My wife refuses to drive thinking she might sink us and ive tried getting our kid to learn but it makes it difficult for me to get up since she is just learning to drive and has to do it manual (no perfect pass). If i want to surf, i have to jump on one of my buddies boats and abandon mine. And lets face it. A day on the water is much better with a few friends to help out and have conversation with.

Well, it's obvious what will be needed to make you happy. You just aren't willing to pay for it. Finding a GOOD v-drive under $20k is HARD. it's finding that needle in the haystack. Yeah, they exist, but maybe for a day before they're sold.

You either find that goldmine of a sweet ass deal or you pay more money. That's how it works. My first boat was a 92 Supra Sunsport. way more freeboard than your boat and I got a rad deal for $10k. I put a ton of work into it and got it to surf about as good as I could, but it still had 2+ sacks on the floor and never had enough room, etc. But that's what you get with an inexpensive direct drive.

I mean, you've got an $8k boat that was designed to produce a TINY slalom wake on smooth water. The boat has no freeboard. It was designed new to give a fantastic slalom wake for CHEAP. It's like buy a Geo Metro and thinking that it should hold it's own for track days and make you the cool kid on the block that everyone wants to hang out with and comparing it to your buddy's BMW M3 of the same year and wondering why you're not happy. (okay, Geo metro is an extreme analogy, but the same idea of taking a budget model that wasn't designed for how you want to use it).

You have 3 choices:
1) increase your budget
2) lower your expectations
3) find that amazing, hard-to-find deal that everyone's looking for

resko1
08-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Well, it's obvious what will be needed to make you happy. You just aren't willing to pay for it. Finding a GOOD v-drive under $20k is HARD. it's finding that needle in the haystack. Yeah, they exist, but maybe for a day before they're sold.

You either find that goldmine of a sweet ass deal or you pay more money. That's how it works. My first boat was a 92 Supra Sunsport. way more freeboard than your boat and I got a rad deal for $10k. I put a ton of work into it and got it to surf about as good as I could, but it still had 2+ sacks on the floor and never had enough room, etc. But that's what you get with an inexpensive direct drive.

I mean, you've got an $8k boat that was designed to produce a TINY slalom wake on smooth water. The boat has no freeboard. It was designed new to give a fantastic slalom wake for CHEAP. It's like buy a Geo Metro and thinking that it should hold it's own for track days and make you the cool kid on the block that everyone wants to hang out with and comparing it to your buddy's BMW M3 of the same year and wondering why you're not happy. (okay, Geo metro is an extreme analogy, but the same idea of taking a budget model that wasn't designed for how you want to use it).

You have 3 choices:
1) increase your budget
2) lower your expectations
3) find that amazing, hard-to-find deal that everyone's looking for

For me a v drive isnt a deal breaker. Its preferrred. Whats hard though is finding the right hull in a DD boat. both boats we go out with are DD but sit so much higher in the water. Its what you call freeboard? Sorry im fairly new to boat ownership and terminology.
When were both trailered, it seems the center section of my hull is pretty flat where the supra and nautique are alot deeper, almost v shaped. I guess i dont know enough about boats to know which is a good hull or not. I do know the one im using now is not.

sandm
08-15-2016, 12:43 PM
my buddy has a boomerang which I believe isn't too far off of what you have. amazing waterski boats but not much else. his is an ok wakeboard boat but as many have told you they are not designed to surf at all.
not knowing your financial situation at all I would encourage you to sell the boat next spring, ride with some buds over the summer and find a deal next fall on someone that is looking to dump a vdrive for the season. there are deals to be had in the 20k range and once you get into a vdrive you won't look back unless you are dedicated slalom skiers. that's the only reason to invest in a dd..

btw, where in wisco you located?

resko1
08-15-2016, 01:31 PM
my buddy has a boomerang which I believe isn't too far off of what you have. amazing waterski boats but not much else. his is an ok wakeboard boat but as many have told you they are not designed to surf at all.
not knowing your financial situation at all I would encourage you to sell the boat next spring, ride with some buds over the summer and find a deal next fall on someone that is looking to dump a vdrive for the season. there are deals to be had in the 20k range and once you get into a vdrive you won't look back unless you are dedicated slalom skiers. that's the only reason to invest in a dd..

btw, where in wisco you located?

I live in sheboygan, but spend most of my time on high falls flowage up by crivitz. We sometimes head out to the wolf river by fremont also.
Were you the guy i bought the fat sac from a few weeks ago? Stopped in green bay and got one from a guy who owned a supra but sold it.

And dont get me wrong, even though the boats not designed for what were using it for, it does a fairly good job. I guess my biggest concern is saftey especially with kids in the boat. And we cant surf without weighing that boat to the point of serious danger of taking on water. If i have 6 or more people in the boat with the sacs, i have to keep moving or else water spills over the bow and stern with the smallest of wakes coming at us.

sandm
08-15-2016, 02:18 PM
one of the downsides to a boat with a fairly low freeboard. I used to run 2300lbs in my supra and it had a pretty low freeboard. went home several times with soaked carpet from water over the bow. really had to watch the rollers...

have to yell next time you're heading up. love to hook up with other riders and spend the day on the water. never been to the flowage but heard a lot about it. my next door neighbor has a pad near crivitz but believe he's on nakabe(sp!).
I am not the guy that sold you a sac. my old supra is back in Idaho where I'm from along with all it's bags.

trayson
08-15-2016, 02:38 PM
For me a v drive isnt a deal breaker. Its preferrred. Whats hard though is finding the right hull in a DD boat. both boats we go out with are DD but sit so much higher in the water. Its what you call freeboard? Sorry im fairly new to boat ownership and terminology.
When were both trailered, it seems the center section of my hull is pretty flat where the supra and nautique are alot deeper, almost v shaped. I guess i dont know enough about boats to know which is a good hull or not. I do know the one im using now is not.

Yes, freeboard is the amount of boat above the waterline. it obviously makes a huge difference on how much you can load the boat down without swamping it or sinking it! And yes, many of the boats have the deeper V-hull. those boats will handle the chop better and potentially displace more water when loaded with ballast. for wakeboarding and surfing it's all about displacing water with the hull. for slalom skiing, it's about giving the smallest wake possible, which is where your boat excels.

Here is a picture of my first boat. it's a '92 supra direct drive 21 foot. as you can see, it's got a lot of freeboard for an early 90's boat. not the best hull for slalom skiing, but it actually was decent for wakeboard and not bad for a direct drive as far as surf.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RB8J44g2KnU/U4Zri5I3GmI/AAAAAAAAQYQ/ZQ0huKfGqn0/s800/IMG_20130926_180348_995_zps6a686740.jpg

But really, if you're interested in surfing, you should make a v-drive happen. they are just that much better and if/when you get one, you'll wonder how you ever tried to justify having a direct drive when you enjoy surfing. my 2nd boat cost 3x what my first boat cost, and I don't regret it for a moment.

resko1
08-15-2016, 03:00 PM
one of the downsides to a boat with a fairly low freeboard. I used to run 2300lbs in my supra and it had a pretty low freeboard. went home several times with soaked carpet from water over the bow. really had to watch the rollers...

have to yell next time you're heading up. love to hook up with other riders and spend the day on the water. never been to the flowage but heard a lot about it. my next door neighbor has a pad near crivitz but believe he's on nakabe(sp!).
I am not the guy that sold you a sac. my old supra is back in Idaho where I'm from along with all it's bags.

For sure. We will be heading up labor day weekend. Pretty much our last time out as water gets cold after that. Ill pm you my number. Would be awesome to have someone along more experienced to help us out. And nocabay is other big lake in the area. A little bigger then the flowage but ive heard there is water itch on that lake so we stay away.

resko1
08-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Yes, freeboard is the amount of boat above the waterline. it obviously makes a huge difference on how much you can load the boat down without swamping it or sinking it! And yes, many of the boats have the deeper V-hull. those boats will handle the chop better and potentially displace more water when loaded with ballast. for wakeboarding and surfing it's all about displacing water with the hull. for slalom skiing, it's about giving the smallest wake possible, which is where your boat excels.

Here is a picture of my first boat. it's a '92 supra direct drive 21 foot. as you can see, it's got a lot of freeboard for an early 90's boat. not the best hull for slalom skiing, but it actually was decent for wakeboard and not bad for a direct drive as far as surf.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RB8J44g2KnU/U4Zri5I3GmI/AAAAAAAAQYQ/ZQ0huKfGqn0/s800/IMG_20130926_180348_995_zps6a686740.jpg

But really, if you're interested in surfing, you should make a v-drive happen. they are just that much better and if/when you get one, you'll wonder how you ever tried to justify having a direct drive when you enjoy surfing. my 2nd boat cost 3x what my first boat cost, and I don't regret it for a moment.

We do a mix of surf and wakeboarding. Never tried skiing before. And i think your right. Ill have to start hunting a v drive down in spring and be patient. But im still going to do some work on our current outback to help the resale.

clarkely
08-15-2016, 03:10 PM
My buddy has a x45 and can swamp it....people .....placement.....displacement......conditions... .

With all of them .....operator needs to be on his toes and aware of what his equipment can and can't do.....

Getting our mobius ls wave dialed in.....built a suck gate Friday afternoon.....easily gives us 3 to 4 feet more pocket ......and we haven't dialed it in yet ...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

trayson
08-15-2016, 03:41 PM
We do a mix of surf and wakeboarding. Never tried skiing before. And i think your right. Ill have to start hunting a v drive down in spring and be patient. But im still going to do some work on our current outback to help the resale.

just the room alone. My supra was decent at over 21' but was rated for 9 people and had mediocre storage with just the trunk and a few other modest lockers.

with my current boat, I regularly put 2 slalom skis, 2 wakeboards, and 4 surfboards all in lockers for transport. I can fit 3 boards in any of my 3 big lockers (left, right, and under my playpen bow). My 23' XLV is rated for 16 people! That's nuts. But we've done 11+ and been fine. I couldn't even imagine over 8 in my direct drive. 8 to 10 people is cool now. And I have well over 3k of ballast that's all hidden and at the flip of a switch. it's been a game changer and I'd never go back.

trayson
08-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Or you could actually buy my old boat. It's up for sale again by the guy that I sold it to:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/5704418234.html

resko1
08-15-2016, 07:28 PM
just the room alone. My supra was decent at over 21' but was rated for 9 people and had mediocre storage with just the trunk and a few other modest lockers.

with my current boat, I regularly put 2 slalom skis, 2 wakeboards, and 4 surfboards all in lockers for transport. I can fit 3 boards in any of my 3 big lockers (left, right, and under my playpen bow). My 23' XLV is rated for 16 people! That's nuts. But we've done 11+ and been fine. I couldn't even imagine over 8 in my direct drive. 8 to 10 people is cool now. And I have well over 3k of ballast that's all hidden and at the flip of a switch. it's been a game changer and I'd never go back.

The extra room would be nice for sure. Its kind of a pain walking over the bags. We already had a cap pop off one bag from someone jumping in the boat on it. Luckly my buddy plugged it with his finger pretty quick. We have like no storage now either. Just the observer seat which i have dual batteries with a perko switch behind it and the bow seats.

resko1
08-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Or you could actually buy my old boat. It's up for sale again by the guy that I sold it to:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/5704418234.html

Wouldnt be bad to check out, but thats way to far to travel for a boat. Thats about 1000 miles one way! Lol

parrothd
08-15-2016, 11:36 PM
Not gonna find a well priced boat in your backyard. You will have to travel..:)

resko1
08-16-2016, 12:34 AM
Not gonna find a well priced boat in your backyard. You will have to travel..:)

Oh i know. But thats quite a ways.

dusty2221
08-16-2016, 01:27 AM
We did 1400 miles to pick up a prior boat...then turned around and drove straight home with it. Totally worth it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wax
08-16-2016, 02:35 AM
Scan everything you can to find a deal, especially coming into fall and then up until the end of march. $20k vdrive is possible, I know first hand, but you just have to be diligent and sometimes patient. Remember to scan dealers or even call them up, they typically have a lot of room to move on price...don't be afraid to lowball the crap out of them, you may be surprised.

Also when the right deal comes you need to snatch it up and not think too much, it's just a boat. Do some quick research to make sure it'll do what you want it to. If it seems well maintained and a great deal just get it, you can always sell later if you don't like it, especially in that price range it'll hold value for a few years minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sandm
08-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Wouldnt be bad to check out, but thats way to far to travel for a boat. Thats about 1000 miles one way! Lol

it's 1000 miles x2 1 way :) from Boise to Green bay is 1600miles and it's a crappy drive with a boat in tow... would not want to do that again...

Wax
08-16-2016, 08:48 AM
I'd do 1k miles to pick up the right boat. I bought my 06 LSV sight unseen from somebody on this forum and we met in the middle, both drove about 5-6 hours one way. 100% worth it.

parrothd
08-16-2016, 10:12 AM
I bought mine(2 boats) 1600 miles away... Ask for lots of pics, have them take it to a dealer for water inspection. If all good fly out(if needed) do the deal. Leave it at the dealer and uship it. I've saved thousands doing that way, even including flights, car and room..

trayson
08-16-2016, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't necessarily say to travel that far for a direct drive, even my old one. But I would say that driving that far for a rad deal on a v-drive could be worth it.

I live in Vancouver WA and bought my v-drive from a forum member in Indiana. I bought it sight unseen and had it sent via u-ship to me. I got it for $5k to $10k under the market value for the boat, so it was worth it and I couldn't be happier.

mattsask
08-16-2016, 02:48 PM
I live in Canada and we bought our mastercraft prostar sight unseen in Texas 8 years ago. Used u-ship to have it shipped to the border and met the driver there. If it's the right boat at the right price, don't let the distance limit your options.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
08-16-2016, 03:47 PM
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/reskoone/Mobile%20Uploads/20160730_093555_zpssnt7gm5q.jpg (http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/reskoone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160730_093555_zpssnt7gm5q.jpg.html)

do you still have icicle Christmas lights hanging?

sandm
08-16-2016, 04:21 PM
remember drew that not all of us live in a temperate climate. I see this as resko just taking advantage of a nice summer day to get his lights up for the winter. never know when it'll snow here :)
fwiw, mine will be up in september...

resko1
08-17-2016, 01:40 AM
do you still have icicle Christmas lights hanging?

HAHA! Yes i do. Haven't taken them down in maybe 3 years. Can never find the time. Its very low on my priority list. Surprisingly enough, they have weathered very well.

resko1
08-17-2016, 01:41 AM
remember drew that not all of us live in a temperate climate. I see this as resko just taking advantage of a nice summer day to get his lights up for the winter. never know when it'll snow here :)
fwiw, mine will be up in september...

And this is true. Ive seen it snow in may already and as early as october.

resko1
08-17-2016, 01:45 AM
So for you guys that own LSV's, hows the hull on that for a surf/wake board? I've been on one before but i never really had a decent comparison. I have seen a few older Mobius LSV's in my price range or at least near enough that i could try bartering the price.

parrothd
08-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Needs to be a 06+ lsv.

kaneboats
08-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Yes. What he said. Go into the home page, ABOUT drop down and then BOAT ARCHIVE and have a look at specs. You'll see there was a hull change in 2006 on the LSV. So, that year and later is what you want for decent surfing.

http://www.moomba.com/archive/06-mobius-lsv

resko1
08-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys.
And i know this is a moomba forum but do you guys have any experience with centurion/supreme boats?

Wax
08-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys.
And i know this is a moomba forum but do you guys have any experience with centurion/supreme boats?
How dare you

resko1
08-17-2016, 06:03 PM
How dare you

Lol. Sorry. I just see that brand come up quite a bit when concerned with wakesurfing. Im just trying to make an educated decision on my next purchase of a boat. Seems moomba needs to be 06 and newer and thats gonna be tough to find around 20k.

But if its any constellation, you guys have been the friendliest crowd. :)

Wax
08-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Lol. Sorry. I just see that brand come up quite a bit when concerned with wakesurfing. Im just trying to make an educated decision on my next purchase of a boat. Seems moomba needs to be 06 and newer and thats gonna be tough to find around 20k.

But if its any constellation, you guys have been the friendliest crowd. :)

Lol I'm kidding, I currently own a Supreme V208. I've owned a 2000 Supra Launch, 06 LSV, and 03 Outback. I love Moombas and SC in general, but I buy the best boat for the best deal that meets my needs at the time. It's a fantastic surf boat. Due to some tight panties on the forum, feel free to pm me about it.

Btw, thanks we all are friendly. Also, if I can have any, I choose the Big Dipper. :rolleyes:

moomba156
08-17-2016, 11:04 PM
Hey just getting into your thread..Im in the same boat as you...literally! The back seats are a bummer... One thing I have done for surfing is put 800 behind the doghouse and wedged another 450lb between the 800 and the doghouse with a suck gate that made up. I have also tossed 800 down the side of the boat behind the driver ( I ride goofy) and had one other person with a suck gate and was able to surf ropeless fine. I made one with an angle for tomorrow. I will try and get some pictures for you of how it turns out. Im out of Burlington WI but we take the boat to Rhinelander and Lake tomahawk often..

resko1
08-18-2016, 02:41 AM
Hey just getting into your thread..Im in the same boat as you...literally! The back seats are a bummer... One thing I have done for surfing is put 800 behind the doghouse and wedged another 450lb between the 800 and the doghouse with a suck gate that made up. I have also tossed 800 down the side of the boat behind the driver ( I ride goofy) and had one other person with a suck gate and was able to surf ropeless fine. I made one with an angle for tomorrow. I will try and get some pictures for you of how it turns out. Im out of Burlington WI but we take the boat to Rhinelander and Lake tomahawk often..

Cool man! Yeah we use 700 where the back seats were, 200 along surf side, and 350 in the walkway of the bow. Then place a few people accordingly. We go out to the only lake in sheboygan area which is long lake in the kettles but we spend most of our time up by crivitz on high falls flowage. The water up there is amazing! Pm if your interested in going on the water with us sometime. Were planinng a trip to crivitz for labor day weekend. Would be cool if a couple people showed up.

moomba156
08-18-2016, 10:02 PM
24887I will be in touch. Going to lake Tom for Labor Day. Here is a pick with only 800 and a surf gate. Would have put the rest in but was trying some new angles.

PatL
08-19-2016, 12:53 PM
24887I will be in touch. Going to lake Tom for Labor Day. Here is a pick with only 800 and a surf gate. Would have put the rest in but was trying some new angles.
I have to chime in on the suck gate idea mentioned earlier. I'm having pretty good success on my 2005 outback with 1500 lbs evenly weighted in the rear and around 500 lbs in the bow (thanks to Jordy for the guidance on weight placement!). Able to do ropeless a little and get back off the platform way farther than pre suck gate. It's made a big difference. I dunk the nose occasionally but if u shut down wait a couple seconds and turn away from the surf wave it's fairly manageable. I say build a 25.00 suck gate and try that for the short term. That piece of gear has gone a long way for us.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

resko1
08-19-2016, 04:00 PM
For sure. Im making one right now out of hdpe and the seastow handle. Unfortunatlly im selling my outback tomorrow. So ill be in the market for a new boat. 20k or less.
Ill keep my suck gate to try on the new boat also.

trayson
08-19-2016, 04:11 PM
For sure. Im making one right now out of hdpe and the seastow handle. Unfortunatlly im selling my outback tomorrow. So ill be in the market for a new boat. 20k or less.
Ill keep my suck gate to try on the new boat also.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-Prostar-205V-for-sale-Eagle-River-Wisconsin-59215.aspx

trayson
08-19-2016, 04:23 PM
I like this one: http://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Moomba-Mobius-XLV-Gravity-Games-for-sale-Buford-Georgia-59390.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Super-Air-Nautique-Team-Edition-for-sale-St.-Martinville-Louisiana-59362.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2002-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-for-sale-Kingsport-Tennessee-59113.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2003-Supra-20-SSV-Launch-Gravity-Games-Edition--for-sale-Mcalester-Oklahoma-57862.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2001-Supra-Launch-SS-21-for-sale-Kansas-57773.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2002-Nautique-Ski-Nautique-Super-Sport-for-sale-Elkton-Maryland-54235.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2002-Moomba-Outback-LSV-V-Drive-Ski-Boat-for-sale-Tolland-Connecticut-59410.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2001-Tige-2100v-21V-for-sale-sturgis-Michigan-59317.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1997-loaded-black-nautique-super-sport-for-sale-Honeoye-New-York-58807.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2001-Tige-21v-Riders-Edition-for-sale-Emporia-Kansas-58766.aspx

Cheapest V-drive you'll ever see:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/excel-nautique-for-sale-North-east-Maryland-58674.aspx

sandm
08-19-2016, 04:28 PM
wow. lots of high hours boats on there for sale.

trayson
08-19-2016, 04:32 PM
wow. lots of high hours boats on there for sale.

Well, isn't that what you get for ~$20k?

But the 2004 XLV only has 200 hours. crazy low for an 04. Yeah, it's the older XLV hull, but who cares. it'd be a 23' surf/party monster.

And I do have to say that the SAN with the black hull is downright sexy for a boat of that age.

resko1
08-19-2016, 08:28 PM
That 205v is a good deal. Although ive heard mixed reviews on mastercraft hulls. And yes the black SAN is a rare bird. Looks lovely.
I think ive narrowed my search down to either a centurion, tige, or a malibu.
Although i would really take a moomba if i found one in my range.

resko1
08-19-2016, 08:39 PM
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-TIGE-2100V-Riders-Edition-685014
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-MALIBU-Wakesetter-LSV-695620

resko1
08-19-2016, 08:42 PM
This is the one im shooting for though

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/boa/5719331769.html

sandm
08-20-2016, 08:08 AM
they did a nice job snapping pics of the washed out low speed wake on that avy... :)

resko1
08-20-2016, 09:16 AM
they did a nice job snapping pics of the washed out low speed wake on that avy... :)

Lol. I can never understand what some people are trying to do in photos when selling a boat

parrothd
08-20-2016, 10:47 PM
The walkways looks nice, except you lose storage and ballast on that side, that looks like an older style vhull. Probably not the best for what you want to do..

Also doesn't look like it has perfect pass..

Wax
08-21-2016, 09:48 AM
I think that avy would be fine, but at the same time you'd be crazy not to be all over that 04 XLV at the same price with only 200hrs instead. I actually wish I hadn't seen it...would love a 23ft boat. 8)

trayson
08-21-2016, 11:15 PM
The walkways looks nice, except you lose storage and ballast on that side, that looks like an older style vhull. Probably not the best for what you want to do..

Also doesn't look like it has perfect pass..

Yeah, that walkway would be a deal killer for me. no thanks, even though my whole family surfs regular, I still regularly fill starboard 1/2 way. And it's the go-to locker for all our gear including my slalom ski, wetsuits, life jackets, etc.

Plus, you couldn't weight down the rear equally for wakeboarding very easily.

dusty2221
08-22-2016, 11:05 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806865

trayson
08-22-2016, 11:46 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806865

DAMN. THIS BOAT, all day, every day.

Just the stereo alone is worth bumping your budget a smidge. it's freaking turnkey. and the wakeboard wake will be legendary.

resko1
08-23-2016, 02:05 AM
Ive heard mixed reviews about SAN and surfing. Wakeboarding all day, but ive heard the surf wave isnt all that great.

sandm
08-23-2016, 07:19 AM
all the feedback I have ever heard and read was that the wakeboard wake is one of the best on the lake but the surf wake is no bueno....
betting it has to do with the chines and the narrow hull. bet that boat is under 8ft in width.

kaneboats
08-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Yea, probably narrow enough to fit through a slalom course. :o

resko1
08-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Well i first saw it with my buddies air. It was super tough to get any kinda decent surf wake. Then i found a SAN python pretty cheap and started asking questions and researching. My conclusions came to the same thing Sandm said. Wake good, surf garbage. And i could tell from my buddies air nautique.

beat taco
08-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Damn I use to surf the crap out of a 210 and it was totally stock. It had enough to push me around.

beat taco
08-23-2016, 10:58 AM
I should add I'm regular and goofy is the best side on that boat, I'm over 220.
Looks great with a suck gate.
https://youtu.be/6-HkbZyqGXo

resko1
08-24-2016, 05:58 PM
How about this big ole girl! Even comes with a built in shitter for after you eat your walking tacos!http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-MALIBU-Sunscape-LSV-25-683094

jrobb
08-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Man i all i can say is just keep looking. My last 2 boats i have been able to get a good deal on. My last one i sold 2 weeks ago was a 02 outback lsv. I picked it up 4 yrs ago for 17k with 299hrs and all matnince recipts. I sold it with 500hrs for 19k and bought a 2014 supreme s21 with 25hrs for 50k. The deals are out there but you have to be ready to pull the trigger when you find that deal. I personally sold mine with the intension of buying new but iver the winter,just happened to get lucky sooner. Its starting to get to the beat tine of year to find a good deal.

resko1
09-06-2016, 01:03 PM
At first we were thinking of keeping the outback. But after getting the joy of riding behind a 2012 tige this weekend, our opinion had changed. The outback is up for sale once again and think we are buying a newer boat.

sandm
09-06-2016, 05:25 PM
was awesome to meet you guys and thanks for the tour of a new body of water...
much cleaner than the fox river although I think the riding would have been better south.. next time :)

resko1
09-06-2016, 08:16 PM
was awesome to meet you guys and thanks for the tour of a new body of water...
much cleaner than the fox river although I think the riding would have been better south.. next time :)

Agreed. Had a great time and your boat throws an amazing surf wake! It got us reconsidering our plans. We did get a little chance to scope out the island to the south and it looks like theres actually alot more space there. I think the southern end is gonna be our new spot.

resko1
09-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Sorry guys.
Im going to be trading in the moomba next week. And its not for another moomba. Even though i really wanted to pull the trigger on a 13 mobius lsv with gravity 3 setup and surf+ for 38k, i couldnt justify the amount right now.
Sooo... Im getting a 04 centurion avalanche w/ storm 3 package for a great deal. I tried to register on the centurioncrew but got booted immediately before i could do anything. You guys still rock here and ill stick around!

resko1
09-12-2016, 10:51 PM
In the meantime, heres some pics of me surfing my 97 outback with 1600# ballast and a suck gate. :)

jrobb
09-15-2016, 08:30 PM
U should still hop over to the centurioncrew just for the mataince of ur boat and how to weight it but this forum is definitely the most active I've seen. Congrats on the new ride you will love having a v drive.