PDA

View Full Version : Wet sounds rev 10 amp power.

mattsask
08-14-2016, 11:18 PM
I've got a kicker ex 1000.1 and thinking about getting a pair of wet sounds rev 10's. There isn't a lot online about the amp specs for some reason and the only rating on the amp is 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm. It's a D class amp. I've been reading a bit online about adequate amps for the rev 10's, and I've seen the kicker 750.1 (mono D class) recommended a few times. My question is, will the amp I already have (ex 1000.1) work with the rev 10's? I can justify $1600 cdn for the speakers, but I'd really like to avoid spending another $1000 on an amp.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

beat taco
08-14-2016, 11:52 PM
I've got a kicker ex 1000.1 and thinking about getting a pair of wet sounds rev 10's. There isn't a lot online about the amp specs for some reason and the only rating on the amp is 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm. It's a D class amp. I've been reading a bit online about adequate amps for the rev 10's, and I've seen the kicker 750.1 (mono D class) recommended a few times. My question is, will the amp I already have (ex 1000.1) work with the rev 10's? I can justify $1600 cdn for the speakers, but I'd really like to avoid spending another $1000 on an amp.

Pretty sure you're thinking of the JL HD 750.1 that's one of the only widerange mono amp I know of. The ex 1000.1 is a low range subwoofer amp. Rockford makes some, not sure who else.

KG's Supra24
08-15-2016, 09:23 AM
SYN4 or HTX4 are good Wetsounds options that don't have the SD price tag.

I agree the 750.1 you have probably seen referred to is the JL. I also agree the 1000.1 will not work due to low range

There may be a used 30.2 going up for sale on here, which would also be a good option.

You are looking for something that will push 300-400 watts to 2 channels at 4 ohms.

dusty2221
08-15-2016, 09:27 AM
^ What KG said. Check the classifieds in a day or 2 :)

David Analog
08-15-2016, 09:31 AM
IMO, the JL Audio HD750/1 is the ideal amplifier. It will bring the most out of a single pair of Rev10s. And, will deliver its power at any reasonable supply voltage, which could easily be a 30% power advantage in some instances.
At a lower cost, my next choice in line would be a bridged Wetsounds SYN-DX4.

mattsask
08-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Thanks fellas!

MLA
08-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Huh, I thought the exile amps were designed to only power exile speakers :p

Seriously. Dollar to wattage, the Syn-4 or Syn-DX4 are real hard to beat when driving a pair of Rev-10 with a potential of 400W rms. Sure, there are a couple of price-point amps that seem to deliver comparable wattage, but not in a marine chassis and no where near the quality of a front end that the Wet Sounds amps have. Excellent sound quality and you can count on the POTs being accurate as they relate to the nomenclature on the amp.

mattsask
08-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the input. What about the HTX 4?

KG's Supra24
08-15-2016, 06:03 PM
HTX4 gives you 300 watts to each tower pod. The SYN DX4 would give you 400 .... so you lose a couple hundred watts total on the tower .... but still in the range of Rev10 requirements.

I'd defer to one of the guys that works with them regularly to determine real life differences between the two.

I guess the SYN4 is discontinued now.

David Analog
08-15-2016, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=mattsask;294841]Thanks for all the input. What about the HTX 4?

A Wetsounds bridged HTX4 is a great value and would definitely work. 300 watts per speaker is definitely workable.
There are a couple of details to consider.
In the Wetsounds Rev10, you've got the best possible tower speaker (with the exception of perhaps the Rev410). I would want to power it to its full potential, especially when running a single pair.
If I had a true 200 rms watts per each speaker with a TON of headroom, then I would be totally satisfied. However....
Power ratings are taken at 14.4 volts. At the real supply voltage (typically 13.5 to 12.0 volts) you will lose 15 to 35% of the rated power.
Also, when you bridge an amplifier you tend to run the power supply at redline, so to speak, to get the rated power, so there isn't a great deal of headroom.
This is why I would prefer the extra power and headroom of a Wetsounds SYN-DX4. Plus, the construction of the SYN-DX4 shares at lot with the SD series, even though the power levels are less.

trayson
08-16-2016, 11:50 AM
^ What KG said. Check the classifieds in a day or 2 :)

Huh, I thought the exile amps were designed to only power exile speakers :p

Yeah, I think that the amp would burst into flames and the speakers would start playing the Chicken Dance non-stop.

Oh wait a minute, maybe it would be possible---- I have an Exile BT Media Center hooked up to a WS420sq and somehow the world hasn't stopped turning!

NickBoj
08-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I would definitely go with the SYN DX-4! The dealer install our Rev 10's and they used, in my opinion a "budget, save me money amp," a Kicker KX M 400.2 (200 watts @2Ohms rms). With only 200 watts going through both of them they are decently loud, but I strongly recommended you go with an amp that provides more than 300 watts. From what I've read on this and other forums the SYN DX-4 will make your rev 10's scream!

trayson
08-16-2016, 04:11 PM
For what it's worth, I have a bridged Precision Power P600.2 going to each of my Wetsounds Rev410's. so each one is getting 600RMS (or 400rms at 12v).

But since you're just doing a pair of Rev10's, throw a bridged PPI P900.4 on there and give it 450x2 RMS for well under $200.

mattsask
08-17-2016, 12:57 AM
After doing a little research, the ppi p900.4 sounds like it would do the job well for a fraction of the cost. What is the consensus on that amp? As you guys have probably already figured out, I'm not that we'll versed on the subject.

trayson
08-17-2016, 01:13 AM
After doing a little research, the ppi p900.4 sounds like it would do the job well for a fraction of the cost. What is the consensus on that amp? As you guys have probably already figured out, I'm not that we'll versed on the subject.

Well, I can tell you already that you're going to get a handful of people that are going to say that it's not going to perform like one of the more 'premium' brand name amps like JL Audio, Arc Audio, Wetsounds, Exile, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, etc.

If you look on other forums (Wakeworld, audio forums, etc), people have accepted the PPI Phantom series as the best of that "budget" category. They are pretty much accepted as amazing bang for the buck. But many will still poo poo them. If you look on the Sonix Electronix website, they actually bench tested a p900.4 and it put out more wattage than it was rated at. So it's not likely to underperform from that standpoint.

I've been running all PPI amps and I've been happy. Others that are willing to go that route have been happy. I haven't heard any bad experiences with them. But you're always going to have lots of people saying that you need to go with the premium brand name amps that cost significantly more.

I've tried to be balanced in my description of their place in the market, so hopefully that helps. I'm sure others will give their two cents.

mattsask
08-17-2016, 01:21 AM
Well, I can tell you already that you're going to get a handful of people that are going to say that it's not going to perform like one of the more 'premium' brand name amps like JL Audio, Arc Audio, Wetsounds, Exile, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, etc.

If you look on other forums (Wakeworld, audio forums, etc), people have accepted the PPI Phantom series as the best of that "budget" category. They are pretty much accepted as amazing bang for the buck. But many will still poo poo them. If you look on the Sonix Electronix website, they actually bench tested a p900.4 and it put out more wattage than it was rated at. So it's not likely to underperform from that standpoint.

I've been running all PPI amps and I've been happy. Others that are willing to go that route have been happy. I haven't heard any bad experiences with them. But you're always going to have lots of people saying that you need to go with the premium brand name amps that cost significantly more.

I've tried to be balanced in my description of their place in the market, so hopefully that helps. I'm sure others will give their two cents.
I did see the write up and bench test of the amp. Power output is obviously solid, is there any other quality issues to be concerned with? I found a lot of positive info online and very little negative. Actually, no negative comments or information other than the typical "you get what you pay for".

beat taco
08-17-2016, 02:50 AM
You'll be at 363 watts per channel at 12.6 volts and 477 @ 14.4. They're very solid for the price and widely accepted.

David Analog
08-17-2016, 08:22 AM
The PPI amplifiers are a great power per dollar value. They do a single and simple specification very well.
Are there better amplifiers? Of course. Class D amplifiers with higher switching speeds, lower distortion, and MUCH, MUCH better front ends.
But those cost much more just as they should.

jmvotto
08-17-2016, 08:44 AM
My .02 get quality. Exile, ws, j l audio , kicker

Good deal on a like new exile 30.2 in classifieds

Buying rev10 with ppi would be like getting a new SA with a hyper lite broadcast ....

trayson
08-17-2016, 11:42 AM
My .02 get quality. Exile, ws, j l audio , kicker

Good deal on a like new exile 30.2 in classifieds

Buying rev10 with ppi would be like getting a new SA with a hyper lite broadcast ....

LOL. I see where you're going with your analogy. I'd say it's closer to the skilled rider that has a sweet Doomswell or Soulcraft and chooses to use an XLV or Mojo instead of a G23 or M235.

dusty2221
08-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Why not an SE? Can't supra get some love? :)

trayson
08-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Why not an SE? Can't supra get some love? :)

Well, the SE is obviously so amazing it would cast a shadow on all the others. I mean, if we put your SE in the analogy, it'd be like having Journey come on your boat live and do a concert for you--- and getting Steve Perry back!

KG's Supra24
08-17-2016, 12:57 PM
For what it's worth, I have a bridged Precision Power P600.2 going to each of my Wetsounds Rev410's. so each one is getting 600RMS (or 400rms at 12v).

For what it's worth, you also zip tied led's to the speaker grills. Everyone's finish tolerance is going to be different. The take away is that you are taking the best speakers on the market and applying the cheapest power plant. It meets output specs but you are giving up other attributes to get the price low. It may or may not matter to the end user.

Dusty, what kind of love does the SE need? Some Rev love?

trayson
08-17-2016, 01:13 PM
For what it's worth, you also zip tied led's to the speaker grills. Everyone's finish tolerance is going to be different. The take away is that you are taking the best speakers on the market and applying the cheapest power plant. It meets output specs but you are giving up other attributes to get the price low. It may or may not matter to the end user.

I wouldn't say "cheapest". there's a LOT of lower quality crap that I could have hooked up. Boss, Crunch, Pyramid, and more. I also could have went with lower end models of PPI amps. That's like saying that a Moomba is the cheapest boat out there when it's a solid value range option. That's exactly what the PPI amps are. the best of the Value range--kinda like my XLV.

And maybe I'll fix my zip ties when I have time. I was under a big time crunch to get the speakers done and installed so I wouldn't have any downtime on my boat. I've still got a list a mile long of other mods, so everything in due time. Plus, 99% of the people out there wouldn't even see them. I guess maybe that's your point, that the vast majority of people wouldn't hear the difference like most people wouldn't see my zipties, but if you're the person that needs that perfect/premium aspect, then you'd probably want to get the higher end brand name? So yeah, our tolerances aren't the same.

beat taco
08-17-2016, 02:24 PM
The PPI amplifiers are a great power per dollar value. They do a single and simple specification very well.
Are there better amplifiers? Of course. Class D amplifiers with higher switching speeds, lower distortion, and MUCH, MUCH better front ends.
But those cost much more just as they should.
Excellent point, I stated max power not rms, which is pretty pointless. As it seems to produce published specs rms is 300 on this unit. So you're not getting the same power as a JL 750/1, but again, for the price, it's a great value and solid option.

jmvotto
08-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Dusty,

SE. Is so last year :o

viking
08-20-2016, 01:21 PM

LOL that's funny right there JM!

Just buy an SD2 and be done with it. You'll have headroom for a 2nd pair of Rev10's later..........It's only $$ :rolleyes: