PDA

View Full Version : Speaker help

jtatexc
08-13-2016, 02:59 PM
So. I just added my 2nd set of tower speakers. First set that work perfectly are a pair of 6.5 hlcd krypt speakers and sound amazing! Powered by a kicker zx450.2. I just added a pair of 7.7 krypt hlcd powered by a kicker 11dx400.4 . See below for the letter I wrote bullet lines to get their input. Just seeing if any of you could offer some wisdom.

Hi. I was hoping to get some help. I just installed my 2nd set of krypt tower speakers (these are the 7.7, my first set is the 6.5). I put the speakers with a kicker 11dx400.4 that is rated at 2x200rms at 4 ohm. I have perfect soldered connection, have checked the battery draw on this amp and all the others and it has great ground and power but I keep sending this amp into protection mode if I turn it up past 25% . I have went through all of the trouble shooting stuff for the last 2 days and am stumped. I even hooked these speakers up to the other kicker 450.2 that pushes my 6.5 speakers perfectly and it put that amp into protection mode right away. I originally thought bad amp but when the second amp did it, I have it narrowed down to something wrong in/with speakers or they just draw too much and even though this kicker 11dx400.4 has a power slip in the box showing 440 watts from factory , it just can't hang with the speakers. At lower sounds before the 400.4 hits protection mode the 6.5 speakers even sound better. We have played with gains, Cross over, all all settings with no luck. Do i get a new amp or might you have ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jtatexc
08-13-2016, 04:01 PM
I also tried each speaker individually in each channel to rule out 1 speaker causing the entire amp to hit protection mode. Both speakers made it trip. Bad speakers or bigger amp? The amp is a class a/b I believe and not D so wondering if that could have anything. But then again the other amp I tried it on while a bit less power but class D also hit protection mode. Not sure here...

MLA
08-13-2016, 04:23 PM
I keep sending this amp into protection mode if I turn it up past 25%

This means nothing without knowing the amp settings. However, since you were able to put the 2 chnl amp into protect mode, does point to an issue with one or both of the 7.7 speakers or their wiring.

First, you need to disconnect the speaker leads from the amp and ohm the entire speaker circuit. Next, check for continuity between each speaker's + and - and the tower. Pinched wires will put the amp into protect mode. Since the speakers are 4 ohm, we would expect the entire circuit to be in the 4 ohm range + or - a couple tenths of an ohm.

I would not overlook battery voltage at the amp(s) terminals as well as the cable gauge used. Still need to check that just to make sure.

Oh, doesnt matter really, but the ZX450.2 is class-A/B same as the DX400.4

David Analog
08-13-2016, 04:38 PM
I might be helpful for you to post Krypt's response after you receive it.

jtatexc
08-13-2016, 11:55 PM
This means nothing without knowing the amp settings. However, since you were able to put the 2 chnl amp into protect mode, does point to an issue with one or both of the 7.7 speakers or their wiring.

First, you need to disconnect the speaker leads from the amp and ohm the entire speaker circuit. Next, check for continuity between each speaker's + and - and the tower. Pinched wires will put the amp into protect mode. Since the speakers are 4 ohm, we would expect the entire circuit to be in the 4 ohm range + or - a couple tenths of an ohm.

I would not overlook battery voltage at the amp(s) terminals as well as the cable gauge used. Still need to check that just to make sure.

Oh, doesnt matter really, but the ZX450.2 is class-A/B same as the DX400.4
Krypt wrote me back and said they generally do not see issues with 2 speakers and that there is either an amp or wiring issue as described. Power to all the amps is over 12v with the stereo on so I do not think that's the issue.
Krypt said that I could have an issue with the cross over that is mounted behind the hlcd speakers in the can and the fact the solder could be touching the can and shorting out . So I unhooked it all tonight and let the crossovers hang over the side of the can (to be sure no ill contact) and turned them on and for 30 seconds (all I could do in my hood at 9pm) it didn't hit protection mode. The difference with tonight and today was today the amp had time to warm up and then hit protection mode. So tomorrow I am going to pull it out with it like this and see if that does it. I looked and there is 2 spots on the back of each Cross over that was making contact to metal from the solder. They said put electrical tape on the back of the crossover and that may do it...we will see

jtatexc
08-18-2016, 11:23 PM
Sp I thought I would update this process. I put the electrical tape on the back of the crossovers as they advised and it worked fine for 5 seconds until a hard bass hit and they cut out again. I looked behind the crossover and it actually arched through the electrical tape. So I ended up going to Lowes and getting some thick rubber bushings to put in between the crossover and the can mounting surface so no contact could be made. After the installation and test.....boo ya....these mofos are offensively loud! I'm am pleased. Sucks I had to spend so much time messing with what I see as a design flaw but it was scary loud in my garage with the door open at about 60% volume .