PDA

View Full Version : To tie down or not to tie down...that is the question.

Prospersigman
08-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Just bought my 2016 Mojo, just joined the sight so this is my 1st post.

Keep in mind I am coming from the stern drive world, but it is blowing my mind that my dealer told me not to worry about using tie downs to secure the transom on my boat? There are spots on my trailer for ratchet straps, there are hooks on the transom of the boat and then under the swim deck, but they insist there is no need.

Then I got to looking and I don't see a way to hook the straps to the transom on the boat with the surf plates in the way.

Is anyone using tie downs and if so how are you hooking them to the transom? Pics would be awesome ;)

Thanks,

CFD3Captain
08-09-2016, 03:22 PM
The dealer I purchased from said the same thing. I bought the ratcheting ones just for piece of mine. In an accident (sudden stop) they may be the only thing preventing the boat from leaving the trailer. I doubt it bounces much under normal driving though.

On your boat with the surf system, there should be tie down points on the bottom of the platform/ brackets.

nitrodude24
08-09-2016, 03:41 PM
use tiedowns, anyone who says not to is an idiot, I'm in the towing business and see too many un secured loaded compound accidents, the attitude it won't happen to us never me. I make a good living off others assumptions.

sandm
08-09-2016, 03:44 PM
I don't tie the boat down unless I'm travelling long distance. it's only 3 miles to the ramp at an average speed of 25mph so don't think it's warranted.

with the old supra, I went several years without tiedowns and then got a good deal on some ratcheting ones that bolted to the trailer. that lake was 20 miles over a 6% grade one way.

to each their own in this regard. if I was trailering longer distance today, I would probably invest in the ratchet but I have only had them on the boat once since I moved here 3 years ago.

KG's Supra24
08-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Here is the only pic i could quickly find of factory ones ...

Mounted on the trailer. Straps to platform ... now i don't do it real tight because it's odd, imo, that I'm strapping to the platform

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160809/0ce946496a8175157487f6e57774348f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

mmandley
08-09-2016, 03:49 PM
I always tie down no matter what.

Just last summer after leaving the lake a deer ran into the road, i had no choice but to swerve to miss it and the amount of water that shot out from under the boat was crazy due to the weight shift. I think it could have easily slid off the trailer.

Also I have thought no big deal when the boat was slightly up on the edge of bunk, my 13 Mojo has tracks in the hull and the bunks have to fit in them, I thought its only a few miles on flat road. Well the boat shifted into the correct spot and my strap was lose, and this was on a 5 mile drive.

Always strap it down IMO

trayson
08-09-2016, 04:01 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/b3ry8vdoGKATcDR_33HSVuYaU-aGZw_dULXCX1SlUBYW_NYZ5pkBGfdfrKxRei_HStVDFMV0cAn4 w3yD6iP3uKYoCyIgn8ItsmBIJUOs9tsytmDVBTe9bCUvjcyoKL fErxUfj7jmuxfJ5m8Ft6uPuFFzxEHMrVHugCaCR9L3VZ_GebgT iQ024eUxt1uNDhVAmrO3qET78jnD0W7qcGPk49sagZO_0o0uTH SVGbbBj1rYVwXW70-ZWUGQn_9qFZLKk8dC6AsuwUtrTJbgRqulVxBg5gr9oOGT3wbzI KuG0p8uetVWykCO5oAQWozK1RNDuAUrTbX5m41IIZ-adkll2Dh9N6iuLHgWgFpEbnP33wC97G3NhZqP2VYwmXIYKeWlJ 8jRKjnhihq4biXYRm6udFu0QDNMitNVkvsbU9VgSfaxNNoG4_k shWrkYI-ZcmzRlBSwkigto5M22iC2ef23kyELmCdhRh6u_w7BJ7JkSDW2u ft9Zqrik5YlrvLHhndal2XEwBzUFYHGaJSUYoVF9n-FfkJsSmBFFPEF08dVWCKANqBchVH0lZ56wOUtLC6eZypj7Pcir I1oItZfzRDwyO7Q6Ol4A6V2=w819-h1092-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DamYGi8sAj0flTBmpEHSVwe6lwt04jPUaJMft6xVbe8b64RGQg EQOBs24wnvQTtB5Ag9-cgrBo3yndlPM6VjmD6_YRdm3BB6QBqXcHkpM-XMxluMIVV4qw4YatHnmtXIYEHqw0Lc9KLPxAPfvqEgVCYS6bg_ JO9DUfx4C9r9fg-gNd4o02XxgCjLsGgNDzl805RReB5fniPziNjwVAc8A3e2yJfY-xvtuqD-68RdWUtjpC-7L_Au01mtpGvb1VlRAohVQH7pQhJM143QDYK24zosK9cFjErPD JQau4QzHB3d6C2LlemMb2ZNAIy_ReakF0s_eWXpeOPtdeCAsQg wUY90DyY_kKs3I4ddroH4LE5EXkNPh06FYImDQoi0IbjsIbEFe mNmmySFMD4KxONNjcsB20uQed_pZcxjxa3_x7XLwYiSk2T6MSh 7toMQTv8TNWLTev-OG8kbNo3X8LJYfZ9aSlTrUQMQTNr9ayt7ZE8icEugEFJeGYRir 4lJCohrzBaFq5MmYD2cS1b0eaN_OjpeV_blddC2Wg0VllBSlqR 6ecO2I3J8z93asFpSJpz1BCsOd0bm0yv73XYSr_3IoIIexBOWV wny=w819-h1092-no

KG's Supra24
08-09-2016, 04:07 PM
^^

Then I got to looking and I don't see a way to hook the straps to the transom on the boat with the surf plates in the way.

http://i.lvme.me/jfbd6ox.jpg

trayson
08-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Is anyone using tie downs and if so how are you hooking them to the transom? Pics would be awesome ;)

Last I checked, I'm "anyone". :-P

Just showing one brand of ratcheting tie down. Yes, I know I'm not part of the Autoflow cool kids club. My surf device "sucks".

5:00
08-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Most people also don't use a highway chain on the front. That means if you aren't using the rears you are relying only on the webbing of the wench. I have seen them break when putting in which basically means it was hanging on by a thread. I had one break when wenching and it looked perfectly fine but was sun damaged.
I have about a 300 yard drive from ramp to driveway but I put on everything but the highway chain in that case. Maybe I am just hyper about it?
I think the answer is that under normal conditions it will stay on fine but normal conditions change as soon as that car cuts you off or the deer runs across the road.
Nitrodude said it best.

trayson
08-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Most people also don't use a highway chain on the front. That means if you aren't using the rears you are relying only on the webbing of the wench. I have seen them break when putting in which basically means it was hanging on by a thread. I had one break when wenching and it looked perfectly fine but was sun damaged.
I have about a 300 yard drive from ramp to driveway but I put on everything but the highway chain in that case. Maybe I am just hyper about it?
I think the answer is that under normal conditions it will stay on fine but normal conditions change as soon as that car cuts you off or the deer runs across the road.
Nitrodude said it best.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/k9LQ3zwpEIAIXGrcATfmJ6SJqFPRF8eHjEgRCXzZ9LA5divtBr itVJf4vFzb91k_BciYgDVCXbpMx4w=w2880-h1920-rw-no

zabooda
08-09-2016, 04:28 PM
I don't tie down when going to the launch in town. I do tie down when I go on the highway as it is the law for secured loads but I'm not sure if they will help much like the accident my brother had yesterday. Him and his passenger ended up with sore necks but I told him it is time to retire and have the trucking company pay his pension for the rest of his life.

wolfeman131
08-09-2016, 04:30 PM
man, hope he is OK!

is that the truck camper cover on top of the semi cab?!?

moombacraze
08-09-2016, 04:32 PM
This is the best picture I have. I have about 45 min drive to the closet lake. I always strap the boat down.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc323/kkjenkins06/DE287ACF-70AE-4DF5-80B7-693115697592.jpg (http://s524.photobucket.com/user/kkjenkins06/media/DE287ACF-70AE-4DF5-80B7-693115697592.jpg.html)

sivs1
08-09-2016, 04:33 PM
yes, use transom straps on all SC 2016 models with a surf system they go from trailer to swim platform. I have an after market surf system and the straps end up resting on the surf plate. I do not like it, but i would rather do that than not. I had a bow chain on my LSV but not on the SA, guess I need to add that to the list.

Prospersigman
08-09-2016, 04:49 PM
Thank you for all the quick replies, I guess I need to put some ratchet straps on the trailer and connect to the swim deck.

It seems like that would be putting undo stress on the swim deck, but if that is the general consensus and it hasn't caused any issues with you all then I'm in.

Thanks again.

zabooda
08-09-2016, 04:56 PM
man, hope he is OK!

is that the truck camper cover on top of the semi cab?!?

Yep. The tank sprayer was is the back of the truck and was pulled from the bolts. I think he will have some lingering issues as neck injuries can be nasty. He was turning left off a two lane highway. Here is another view.

gregski
08-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Thank you for all the quick replies, I guess I need to put some ratchet straps on the trailer and connect to the swim deck.
It seems like that would be putting undo stress on the swim deck, but if that is the general consensus and it hasn't caused any issues with you all then I'm in.

You don't need to crank 'em that tight. More like a seat belt, just take up the slack.

sandm
08-09-2016, 08:28 PM
something to think about.
we have all seen webbing on the front winch strap that breaks.
rear transom straps are the same thing.
if the swerving is violent enough I would certainly think that they would break just like the front winch strap and with most made in china, the give could also be the sew point where the hook attaches to the webbing or in the ratchet mechanism.

back in the older days of lighter smaller fiberglas or aluminum boats(when most towing laws were enacted), there was more of a chance to come off but with some of the wakeboats today weighing more than a full size suv, would you suspend a towboat from your rafters for service on those straps? and that's the weight you are asking it to stabilize adding in the violent forces of a wreck.

I do it more for the liability reasons if there is a wreck to keep the insurance company from finding another reason to be at-fault.

deckwork
08-09-2016, 09:01 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/ab4518954055996a6b50b4bbd461cb59.jpg

This is what I did as I did not trust swim platform to hold boat on trailer plus with the straps angled back it would actually pull boat forward during an emergency stop. I think the hooks on swim platform was just a quick fix after surf tabs were added to the boats

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

nitrodude24
08-09-2016, 09:06 PM
Not my boat, but boat and trailer were broad sidea look closely and you can see bow strap still attached to bow ring and broke strap. If it had stern tiedowns who knows may have stayed on trailer, which never flipped stayed on the wheels.

sandm
08-09-2016, 09:22 PM
would think if it tore the front strap could have torn the back or might have taken the trailer with it causing even more damage. we'll never know.

either way if my boat was broadsided, I don't want it to survive. I would want it totaled. car repair is down to a science but if a boat is damaged, not sure I want it back "repaired".

jmvotto
08-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Chain and strap it when it hits the trailer.

KG's Supra24
08-09-2016, 10:43 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/ab4518954055996a6b50b4bbd461cb59.jpg

This is what I did as I did not trust swim platform to hold boat on trailer plus with the straps angled back it would actually pull boat forward during an emergency stop. I think the hooks on swim platform was just a quick fix after surf tabs were added to the boats

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

This pic needs to be shared between Skiers and Boatmate. I can't rationalize why it's setup to attach to the swim platform.

trayson
08-09-2016, 11:55 PM
This pic needs to be shared between Skiers and Boatmate. I can't rationalize why it's setup to attach to the swim platform.

It's the logical way to do it. Of course those of us with trailers that already have their reverse lights there can't pull that off. But if you were having your trailer done from scratch, relocating the reverse lights (like he did) and putting the tie downs outboard only makes sense.

trayson
08-10-2016, 12:00 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/k9LQ3zwpEIAIXGrcATfmJ6SJqFPRF8eHjEgRCXzZ9LA5divtBr itVJf4vFzb91k_BciYgDVCXbpMx4w=w2880-h1920-rw-no

One of the problems even with the chain on the bow is look how much my boat could slide backwards if the webbing broke before the chain would do a damn bit of good. And I have the chain setup so that it's pretty much as little slack as possible to still allow it to hook to the bow loop easily. I mean, if the chain's pretty much going almost straight up, and there's even a tiny bit of slack, the boat ends up with rear movement before the chain would stop it...

russellsmojo
08-10-2016, 12:41 AM
Just bought my 2016 Mojo, just joined the sight so this is my 1st post.

Keep in mind I am coming from the stern drive world, but it is blowing my mind that my dealer told me not to worry about using tie downs to secure the transom on my boat? There are spots on my trailer for ratchet straps, there are hooks on the transom of the boat and then under the swim deck, but they insist there is no need.

Thanks,

What about your boat? What lake you using it on? Any pictures? Let's see them!! Welcome to the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beat taco
08-10-2016, 03:52 AM
I wish I had a pic of my old trailer. It had a hook welded on the inside rear corner on each side. I didn't use this location however it'd perfect for you flow guys.
I was always good about strapping my transom. Never ran a chain on the bow until I saw what happened when my friend was rear ended in I5 at 50+mph while sitting at a dead stop. Boat and truck totalled, family walked away. The amount of force his tie downs took was impressive and kept the boat out of the cab. Seeing that made me very concious of tieing the boat to the trailer. I've gotten away with a lot of carelessness over the years, been bit in the ass a couple of times, and have seen or had stuff happen that's made me more aware of how to prevent or minimize damage and more importantly personal injury. When you start looking at hurting people a damaged or totalled boat is trivial.

DFTR Josh
08-10-2016, 10:05 AM
It's weird on how this subject is brought up year after year and the same result. Before leaving the dealer with one of my boats this year we noticed there were no straps on the trailer. Went to the shelf and grabbed a set and said they could put them on right now or I could install them myself. It should be law to have at least a bow and stern straps for every boat trailer.

5:00
08-10-2016, 10:12 AM
It didn't even have a bow strap from dealer?

newbie1993
08-10-2016, 12:31 PM
to be honest i have never ran a strap on the rear of any of my boats. from my ski nautiques to the moomba. my theory is someone hits my boat i get a new boat doesn't matter if that straps there or not. heck from 1987 to 2011 (when i started using the families 2001 nautique) there wasn't even a rope on the front of the boat

Mwcraz
08-10-2016, 01:24 PM
My 2016 Craz (early production) does not have the hooks on the swim platform. My dealer told me SC told them to wrap them around the surf tabs and keep them loose. As I only tow a few miles I leave them off. I plan on addressing this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
08-10-2016, 01:31 PM
It didn't even have a bow strap from dealer?
Sorry yes it had the bow and a safety strap on the nose, just nothing on the rear.

Dandy21
08-10-2016, 01:54 PM
to be honest i have never ran a strap on the rear of any of my boats. from my ski nautiques to the moomba. my theory is someone hits my boat i get a new boat doesn't matter if that straps there or not. heck from 1987 to 2011 (when i started using the families 2001 nautique) there wasn't even a rope on the front of the boat

Not trying to start any trouble, but keep in mind that it's not just about damage to the boat. You are responsible for your load. Should you have a winch strap that is weak or damaged and it breaks and the boat comes off the trailer, you are responsible for this. If this should happen, and yes it is rare, if a car should run into the boat and injured would that bother you? If the answer is yes, a few extra steps of safety could prevent this from happening.

I personally use the winch, rear tie downs and have a safety cable (used the coated cable with connections that are used on trailers instead of chains) on the bow as well. Have had this on all boats we have owned. It may be overkill, but if the worst should happen, I know I did everything I could to minimize the risk of injury or death to my family or another family on the road.