PDA

View Full Version : Web Sites

gcombe74
07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Ok,

So it seems there are alot of people that ask where, to get this and that. So maybe a thread that lists our fav spots to shop.

So I know for parts we all list skidim.com I also like www.tacomapropeller.com

For me its www.wakeside.com they have a great list of items.
one that is not really used, but I bought most of my gear in the off season is evogear.com Shop in early Jan-March, and you can get some great deals on last years models. I bought all my kids hyperlite jackets less then I could some off brand locally.

so far.

www.skidim.com
www.wakeside.com
www.evogear.com
www.extremetower.com
www.tacomapropeller.com

Buttafewcoe
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM
www.boardparadise.com also
BTW, you can find REALLY good deals on 'last year's models' if you do wait till January or after of the following year. I got really good deals on ropes, bindings, boards, jackets. All last year's models, but all brand new.
Hope this helps
B

Yellowmobius
07-19-2006, 11:24 AM
better add
www.wakezone.biz

Smrtz
07-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey Yellow, when are you gonna redo that website NOT with front page.

Wolf-
07-19-2006, 02:15 PM
My wife was kind enough to toss the black caps to my ballast bags last thur before our vacation. I called all over atlanta, and the only place that would even try to get the replacements to me was buywake.com (www.buywake.com). The guy I talked to hand walked them through shipping and called me back as soon as he personally slapped a tracking label on the outbound box. They arrived on Sat in time for me to leave on Sun. I was thoroughly impressed with the level of customer service (on a $7 item no less) and will purchase from them again.

Smrtz
07-19-2006, 02:18 PM
I had amazing service from www.evogear.com I purchased the liquid force Fish board for 199.00. with the conversion and the duties it ended up being 300.00 Canadian. I had it in 4 days. And the store i usually buy my gear from was still selling it at 579.00

I'd buy there again!!

Yellowmobius
07-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Smrtz,
I am thinking this winter I will overhaul the site using Dreamweaver.
How can you tell it is done in Front page?
If the answer is too nasty e-mail me [email protected]

I know Front page is a rookie tool for webpage design, thats what worked for me when I started.

gcombe74
07-19-2006, 03:50 PM
if you really want to know... on most... well all actually, but for the pros we (yes I consider myself one) remove all the shit that is not needed. but you can right click on any web page and view source.... and in yours it says this....

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
<title>WakeZone</title>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<link rel="File-List" href="index_files/filelist.xml">

So anyhow... yes Dreamweaver is the way to go... but that is just for look and feel. YOu need a bit more... I would reccomend some mysql and php on the back end along with using https for all your secure transactions... ;)

Smrtz
07-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Oh it wasnt a dig at all. Forsure not meant to be nasty!
I have designed many sites and like you, started with front page so I can immediately identify its short commings.

If and when you switch over to dreamweaver, you will see a huge difference. Even if you are self taught, take the skills you have from FP and apply them to dreamweaver and the output will be 1000% better looking. Obviously DW is only one of the tools you should have in your quiver.. but you will notice results right away!

I will email you so you have my contact info. If you have any questions or anything I can help out with Im always glad to.

Cheers!

EUSTACE
07-19-2006, 08:55 PM
I’m with Wolf: buywake.com is the best for wakeboarding when you call into them you get a rider on the phone that is generally knowledgeable

Honorable mentions have to go to grizzly-sports for incredible deals and adrenaline water sports they have customer appreciation sale every spring applying a discount to your entire purchase.

Wolf-
07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Smrtz
Hey Yellow, when are you gonna redo that website NOT with front page.

Real men use vi!
Wait, no, the lunatics use vi.
The masochists use emacs...

I like Dreamweaver. Just wish Macromedia would get the database connection garbage worked out with MySQL. Hasn't worked consistantly for the last 3 releases.

tarkus70
07-20-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm a fan of GotRiver.com

Smrtz
07-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Well hopefully now that its all owned by Adobe, they will fix some of the long standing issues (Ive been using since ultradev). I would also like to see photoshop replace fireworks in the next studio release..

Should be out sometime in the new year I would suspect.

JoeTechie
07-20-2006, 11:00 AM
...lunatics use vi...masochists use emacs...

I Gnu I felt a kinship here.

:)

-J

gcombe74
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
focus gents... vi - emacs - gnu - dreamweaver -frontpage - nano -fireworks - photoshop that is great. Web Design is another thread. I was hoping to compile a good list for any and all to go purchase - research.

I love it though... you start talking about the web and a techie cannot help but start down the road to improvement or ways of doing the web, me included... LOL

Smrtz
07-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Not to get off topic... however, you know there are a bunch of us here that spend tons of time on the board. What needs to happen is to grant some of us moderator rights over certain parts of the forum. It would help with things like this as well as repeating posts, stuff posted in the wrong sections, unauthorized advertising...etc

gcombe74
07-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree with both.... there should be a couple of moderators... people that have time to clean up and maintain things... that would only make it better.

and I also see your point about things not lasting... a moderator could help facilitate that.

I guess to say the least... it could be added as a main topic on the list of directories on the home page... then it at least puts them all in the same catagory.

gcombe74
07-20-2006, 01:16 PM
REally.... it does have moderators ehh? Odd I dont see them listed. Do they have "rights" to be moderators... or are they self appointed? Find it odd they are not listed on the home page... so that we "know" who they are? It would be nice. Since my guess is they might have alot of knowledge on the issues that go on... then i could just ask or pm them?

Sorry... but there is one moderator on this forum as far as I can see... or so advertised.
That would be Brian Raymond. 300+ posts. and the rest listed above (on the page that lists moderators)...

Not sure I follow the advertisers here thing... not thinking that is practical... more or less word of mouth... think you miss what I am saying. But either way... I wish SC had more on the old shoping page to order. I assume they have a marketing dept?

Smrtz
07-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I think it really could be a great thing. They shouldnt worry about listing different manufacturers (I mean other boats..unless comparing okay) The more information about all aspects of the moomba world that are included in this forum, the more likely people involved in the lifestyle will come here for info.

I dont think they could pay for a better endorsement than this board. Obviously control over content is vital. Heck, who loves these boats and this board more than the boat owners.

EUSTACE
07-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Give this a whirl,,, http://www.wakeworld.com/CoolLinks/