PDA

View Full Version : Moomba vs Mastercraft

jjk42
08-05-2016, 03:19 PM
I've owned both a moomba and mastercraft direct drives and looking to get a vdrive.

Would love to hear some non-biased (if possible) feedback.

2006 Mastercraft X15 w/ 450hrs and upgraded 350hp for around $31,000

Or

2006 Moomba LSV w/ 130hrs and standard/stock everything for $26,500.

Assume both boats come with all standard items and the X15 with a little additional.

Let the conversation begin-thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrothd
08-05-2016, 03:34 PM
By the Moomba and use the money saved for ballast upgrades. You'll have a better boat.

viking
08-05-2016, 04:31 PM
They both start with an "M" and both 2006 model years. Other than that I'm no help since I've no experience with either......LOL
Between those 2 only and very limited info. I'd choose the Moomba due to lower hours and less coin.
But really decision should be based on the dealer, shape of each boat cause hours alone don't tell the story, and demo ride doing what you plan to use it for the most (surf, wakeboard, ski, ect...). In that price range you should be able to find alot of choices.

jjk42
08-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback-

Boat will be primarily used to surf. One downfall of LSV is no amp/sub with stock 6 speakers. So it'll be a coin flip between upgraded ballast or audio

Chawkico
08-05-2016, 04:37 PM
I have a 2006 Moomba so take this for what its worth.

With 900 lb rear ballast bag upgrades and the addition of the Ronix Eight.3 Surfshaper, my friends believe that my wakesurf is on par with today's competition. An engine with 130 hours is still brand new. Go with the Moomba and don't look back.

FlatLander7
08-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Your looking at two 21ish ft boats. Same year model. Main thing coming to play in my mind since I haven't been behind a x15 hull is going to be resale\trade in value. Which the master craft will hold its value better.

Just gonna come down to preference and how much coin you wanna spend.

chester
08-05-2016, 04:43 PM
I don't know how the freeboard compares between them but that is something to consider when sacked out for surfing. I'd like a little more on my 08, especially the nose.

zabooda
08-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Resale is only if you plan to sell so keeping the boat for a long time has no effect as the value of both will be close to each other. I looked up my boat on NADA and matched the comparable Prostar 205 with the same options and my listed price was $25,190 where the Prostar was $32,368. The NADA average retail pricing now is $13,090 for the Moomba and the Prostar is $12,920. So in effect, the Mastercraft in this case depreciated more than the Moomba to the point the value of the Prostar is less than the Moomba. Resale is thrown out the window when the economy tanks and the market is flooded with boats. That is my favorite time to buy.

Wax
08-05-2016, 06:21 PM
In 10 years when you're ready to upgrade, is the mastercraft still going to be worth almost 5k more? Prob not. 20 year old boats are going to be valued mostly on condition and equipment. Comparably equipped, they'll likely be worth close to the same money, and the moomba maybe might take the lead with 300 less hours at that time. I'd personally buy the cheaper of the two but I'm cheap, and the gap closes if you need to add a sound system to the moomba to be equivalent to the mc.

Go with your gut, you may be in the mc for a few grand more but if you like it more that's fine. I guarantee you will love either.

sandm
08-05-2016, 07:03 PM
if all I did was surf, I'd look at which one will produce the better surf wake.
lsv is ok but is a low freeboard boat and if you're on a choppy body of water I bet you'll take on some water occasionally once loaded down(i know I did on occasion in the supra).
I know zip about the x-15 but if it's low like the lsv, tough choice. if it's higher and would support more weight or offer a higher ride when loaded, then it might be the better contender.

both being used and aged, overall condition would mean a lot. 130hrs and baking in the texas sun for years could trash the interior and 450 always covered hours might be a nicer interior. gotta think about that. at that age and price, as long as there's a marine dealer around that can work on inboards, dealer support wouldn't make a bit of difference to me.

good luck and as wax stated, either would be a good pick.

jjk42
08-05-2016, 10:44 PM
I'm torn between the LSV being basic and the X15 with all the bells and whistles. Appreciate the feedback

sivs1
08-05-2016, 11:08 PM
I had a 2006 LSV and a buddy has a 2006 X9. Yes the MC is nice with bells and whistles but I felt overall my Moomba was a more solid built boat than his MC. Good example is the tower on the MC would move while the LSV was solid. Its possible because the X9 is DD that there just wasn't enough support, X15 being a vdrive is probably more solid. Also think his X9 has electrical gremlins, going out on it tomorrow for the first time this year as he got it running again.

Wax
08-06-2016, 08:07 AM
I'm torn between the LSV being basic and the X15 with all the bells and whistles. Appreciate the feedback

More bells and whistles on a 10 year old boat means more sh!t to fix...

sivs1
08-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Just a follow up, X9 fid great today, ran well etc. Thinking he g ot everything fixed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

icemanftr
08-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Moomba LSV hands down. Mastercraft was once a popular boat and King of water some years ago to many, but these days it's no longer apples and oranges. My 13 has over 200 hours already, so 130 is nothing! X15 is fun for wakeboarding, but those hull designs are horrible for surfing. I follow Mastercraft forums and read up quite a bit on their boats. Jump on their forum as ask same question, but I'm sure you will get more guys on there even saying Moomba than people on here saying Mastercraft.

bzubke1
08-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Have you gone to look at each in person? The lsv is a great boat and so is the x15. I've surfed and wakeboarded each and I thought both boats did each quite well. The x15 is going to feel bigger inside and have more storage. I spent some time on a 2008 x15 and I remember you could store a wakeboard under the observers seat at least on that year model because the storage compartments are deeper than the level of the floor. Also the sun deck is smaller making the interior bigger. The advantage to the moomba is having bags for ballast instead of tanks, it is really easy to upgrade. It's been a few years since I've been in either but I do remember at the time thinking the x15 was a nicer boat. I'm not much of a surfer so I can't comment too much on the wave performance of one over the other but I was able to easily surf without the rope on both boats. Wakeboard wake I think they're both very good and won't hold you back from any trick you'd like to do.